Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Logic and #24

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with sg3 - Pay him what he is worth.

I think the NFL in general is moving away from a period where top CB's were probably paid too much into a period where the salary for top CBs is a better reflection of their actual value (i.e. still high but down from the stratosphere).

As others have posted he may be the very best there is at his position but his position can never be the most valuable on a defense because the offense can simply side step a dominant CB which is something that cannot be done for a dominant defensive lineman or even a dominant linebacker. I think a fair evaluation for the worth of a top CB, even THE top CB is significantly south of what he had made over the past few years.

So yes, pay him what he is worth. He needs to take a pay cut. It is only fair after all.

Jets Insider VIP
    As long as he gets around 5 million a year more than vastly inferior Aso got from the Iggles it will be close to the correct figure

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I agree with sg3 - Pay him what he is worth.

I think the NFL in general is moving away from a period where top CB's were probably paid too much into a period where the salary for top CBs is a better reflection of their actual value (i.e. still high but down from the stratosphere).

As others have posted he may be the very best there is at his position but his position can never be the most valuable on a defense because the offense can simply side step a dominant CB which is something that cannot be done for a dominant defensive lineman or even a dominant linebacker. I think a fair evaluation for the worth of a top CB, even THE top CB is significantly south of what he had made over the past few years.

So yes, pay him what he is worth. He needs to take a pay cut. It is only fair after all.
    I think this makes sense, as long as Revis agrees to be paid as the top CB in the NFL. Something tells me that another monster season will leave him feeling justified to be the top paid defensive player in the NFL, regardless of position.

Hope to be wrong, but the guy has either held out or threatened to hold out three times in six years. Not sure we can expect a reasonable negotiation, especially when you consider his representation.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post

So my boss should reward me with more money for just showing up for work tonight?
    WOW
    if you are as good at your job as Revis is as his, yes he should.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Hope to be wrong, but the guy has either held out or threatened to hold out three times in six years. Not sure we can expect a reasonable negotiation, especially when you consider his representation.
    everyone is focused on the price... who else are they gonna spend the money on? People want 10 crappy free agents and draft picks instead of 1 great player? Forget that noise quantity always takes a back seat to quality.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    everyone is focused on the price... who else are they gonna spend the money on? People want 10 crappy free agents and draft picks instead of 1 great player? Forget that noise quantity always takes a back seat to quality.
    Don't be ridiculous Bit. We both know that having an extra 5 mill here or five mill there is more than enough to buy yourself very competent depth on the offensive line or Linebacker or safety or any one of a number of places. Please do not try to pretend that we do not have need for such depth in any number of areas.

In a hard salary cap world any money paid to Peter is always always always robbed from Paul first. Please do not try to assert that a competent GM would have nothing of importance to implement with such sums of money. It makes you look disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I really think you have to see where this team is at the end of the year before you can make that decision. If Coples, Wilkerson and Maybin are terrorizing QBs all year long, Sanchez continues positive development and improves across the board, and the running game reverts to '10 form, then hell yeah they should break the bank for Revis.

But it's not out of the realm of possibility that the Jets could be looking for major upgrades at OLB, RT, RB, and most significantly (expensively) QB.

If the Jets can't run the ball, pass the ball, or sack the QB, then who cares if they can take the other team's #1 receiver out of the game?

Revis shutting down a #1 receiver isn't a small task at all and it isn't like it has zero significance. I still think a great pass rush > a shut down corner but the Jets can do things defensively that few times can do because of the corners. I think the addition of coples & if Maybin improves from last year actually makes the defense deadly. There are no more "shutdown" corners anymore. This is what makes Revis so special. He's the only shutdown corner in football. I mean if he has 1 game where a guy scores a TD on him or catches 4 passes as a fan I'm like "what is wrong with this guy" ... and we're talking about a day where 4000 yards passing QB's are scattered all around football. Not to mention you can barely touch the receivers. Revis has that jordan-right where he's earned the right to be a bit more physical with receivers.

He's only worth the money if the Jets can manage to keep catching finds for a bargain price and doing what they did with guys like how they did with Maybin. I mean Revis and Cro aren't underpaid now by any means and some how we managed to get Bell, Landry, (2 of the better safeties out there), and they signed the rookies with no problem. If Ellis winds up being a steal, Dixon plays like Rex expects, Coples & Mo do their thing, and if Maybin improves ... then paying Revis near what he wants isn't an issue. In a weird way all of what Tanny & Rex wanted to do with having the shutdown corners and etc would have worked to perfection and other teams will emulate. But if those pieces aren't fluid ... it looks bad. Regardless the least of my worry this year is with the defense ... I'm concerned about O Line, and the running game more than anything. I'm not even concerned about Sanchez. We got to 2 AFCC games with him when he was worse than he was last year. The running game is my biggest concern and the dominant O Line that we're supposed to have. All this other stuff doesn't even matter cause the Jets are going to be a top 5 defense no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Don't be ridiculous Bit. We both know that having an extra 5 mill here or five mill there is more than enough to buy yourself very competent depth on the offensive line or Linebacker or safety or any one of a number of places. Please do not try to pretend that we do not have need for such depth in any number of areas.
    depth is overrated. I'll take stars every time.

the NFL is a league of difference makers. There are 5 or 10 guys on any given roster that determine wins and losses. The other 40 guys are interchangeable, not just with other teams' 40 guys, but also street free agents.

The Jets don't have alot of difference makers, Revis is clearly the best player they have. there's no amount of depth that makes up for the loss of the team's best player. And all this thinking about Coples, Wilkerson and Maybin, it's beyond words. If those guys produce half of what Revis produces, maybe we can talk about it. Right now they are prospects. You can always get more prospects, Revis is a once in a generation player at his position.

and let me also talk about his position. I don't care if revis was the punter. the Jets got a once in a generation corner, we should cry because he's not a defensive end or a quarterback? He is what he is, and a known quantity like Revis isn't replaceable. I was gonna say not "easily" replacable but let's be honest when Revis leaves the Jets, whether it's by retirement or trade, they won't replace him. They won't even come close. This team has been trying to replace Namath for 40 years it will be that hard to replace Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Either you are joking or an ignorant Jet fan (which is common place around here). This isn't baseball and this isn't the Yankees. I love fans that think we could have upgraded at RB, WR, RT, QB this past offseason. Are you not familiar with the NFL cap?
    Half joking, because half of those spots should have been addressed. RT and WR will kill the Jets this season.