Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 Shades Of Grout

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    My wife yells at contractors that aren't even doing work at my house.

My neighbor added an addition on about 2 years ago. On a windy day in the fall/winter, the wife hears a loud BANG while in the house. Can't figure out what it was. A week later, I'm outside and I see the corner of my siding is blown out. Turns out, a sub let a 4x8 sheet of plywood fly on the windy day, and it flew in to the corner of my house. Not one of them came over to say "Whoops, sorry, we'll fix it." They just assumed we wouldn't notice. So the wife flips out on the next door contractor. Good stuff. Name calling and everything, including the ol' property line dont-you-dare-cross-or-I'm-calling-the-cops. Next day I get an email from the contractor (not very bright, one long run-on-sentence type paragraph) saying he doesn't appreciate the name calling, etc. I'll see if I can dig up the email. Gold!

Edit: Can't find it. Damn!
    That is messed up though. I say for that incident she had every right to flip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    She woke up at 5am today (after I had been up awhile) and I asked her if she was feeling ok (because she is never up that early).

The first thing out of her mouth was 'I'm getting sick over this issue with this showerhead'

You would think that for someone who watches so much HGTV (a very dangerous channel, btw) she would understand that it's not that big a deal.

Also a word of warning if you're wife is logging a lot of hours on this channel, you're doomed.
    Unfortunately, I watch that on a regular basis. My wife chimes in all the time.

For me, I hardly ever yell, or get mad at these people. In the end, they have your money and decide whether to a do a nice job the right way, or the quick shltty job. I'm pretty handy but I cannot do electrical, plumbing, cut granite etc. So when the granite guy cut the template wrong my wife flipped. The granite was flush with the bottom cabinets which was a big no no. I told her they HAVE to fix it (which they did). Didn't think pissing and moaning would benefit from our situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    That is messed up though. I say for that incident she had every right to flip out.
    Oh, no doubt about it. We had issues with them plowing dirt on our property, almost breaking our fence (which is 1 foot on OUR side of the propoerty line). I tried to maintain calmness with the neighbors and contractor. But after they tried to cover up fvcking up our house, it was gloves off. If she didn't flip out, I would have. After that, I walked my property every night when I got home form work to make sure everytihng was cool. Anything that blew over or was 1 inch on my property was tossed back in their yard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing out of her mouth was 'I'm getting sick over this issue with this showerhead'
    lol wut? Does it need tightened?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

I guess that explains the new bathroom
    Showerhead? What does she need, detachable, 5 speed, operated by a pool boy named Juan?

LOLS
    Sigh.....yes.
    But it really, really was time.
    The kids finally pulled the tile soap-holder off the wall, so yeah I guess it was due.

The good thing is that its not real big, I dont want to make it bigger because we'd have to sacrifice a closet or something, so that is helping keep the cost down.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree here. She's running the show, so she's going to bytch when it's done that "Blah blah blah, you didn't help AT ALL!". And if you did help, it would be "Blah blah blah, that was YOUR decision, and now look!".

My adice here, which I've started a bit myself, is to start feigning a hearing impediment. When she's yelling from across the house, calmly walk to her with a serious face, and say "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you", and she will say it again in a nicer tone, therefore defusing your instinct to tell her to GFY.

With any luck, she'll realize you can't hear, and she'll shut up all together.

That's my dream, at least....
    I actually do this, sometimes to the point of ignoring it completely. She buys it because I played in a rock band for a couple decades. Ironically, she often forgets about what was bothering her, after a few minutes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    ...I played in a rock band for a couple decades...
    Ever see SAR on a plane?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Ever see SAR on a plane?
    The Snakes on a Plane prequel, right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else think this thread title said Fifty Shades of Gout?

The things you come to expect from the Hampur.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Anyone else think this thread title said Fifty Shades of Gout?

The things you come to expect from the Hampur.
    That would be a great title for the next-gout related thread though, yes

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    I actually do this, sometimes to the point of ignoring it completely. She buys it because I played in a rock band for a couple decades. Ironically, she often forgets about what was bothering her, after a few minutes.
    Mine is from going to concerts for a couple of decades.
    That and ipod damage.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update -

So it's been a week and our contractor has been here every day since last week, can't complain about that.

Until last night the wife said 'its ready for primer!' after I had been at the office since 5am for 12 hours

Since it was a cool night last night we had the windows open, but that friggin Zinnsser primer smells awful. Worse Im not even getting a buzz off the fumes, just feeling toxic. So I keep the door closed to the bathroom to keep the rest of the fumes from permeating the entire house -

Of course a ****ing skunk had to troll us and sprayed just outside our kitchen window. So our entire house smelled like skunk ass and primer.
    Last edited by Fishooked; 08-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update -

So it's been a week and our contractor has been here every day since last week, can't complain about that.

Until last night the wife said 'its ready for primer!' after I had been at the office since 5am for 12 hours

Since it was a cool night last night we had the windows open, but that friggin Zinnsser primer smells awful. Worse Im not even getting a buzz off the fumes, just feeling toxic. So I keep the door closed to the bathroom to keep the rest of the fumes from permeating the entire house -

Of course a ****ing skunk had to troll out and sprayed just outside our kitchen window. So our entire house smelled like skunk ass and primer.
    Thank God my stuff is over. Finally able to move in. Make sure you post some pics.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update -

Of course a ****ing skunk had to troll out and sprayed just outside our kitchen window. So our entire house smelled like skunk ass and primer.
    Don't they make a low VOC Zinnsser? Might even make a latex BIN. Kilz works good too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't they make a low VOC Zinnsser? Might even make a latex BIN. Kilz works good too.
    Yes, but they all stink pretty bad

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update -

Of course a ****ing skunk had to troll us and sprayed just outside our kitchen window. So our entire house smelled like skunk ass and primer.
    You're holding on BY a very thin thread. I think you're about to crack. Can't blame you it's almost like an unseen force is ****ing with you and enjoying it. Try yoga

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it you fixed the shower head dilemma? Is it named Juan?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It takes Juan to know Juan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    jeez.

I remodeled my kitchen, 3 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, repainted the LR and main hallway, and didn't have any of these problems. I spec out everything, run it past my wife (who has trouble visualizing how things will look), and after I"m done, I get "wow - you were right. it looks great.".

I've decided I don't have it so bad after all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a small hallway bathroom, nothing major, but it is ugly as **** -
    Have to say that most of the original tile was still in excellent shape.

But that ****ing light - are you kidding me?
    Lowering the celing to put in that POS....unreal. Good drugs to be had in the 70s to be sure...oh yeah, and ****ing wallpaper.

Before

gutted (last week)