Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come people keep getting interviewed on radio about our 2-QB system?

How come people keep getting interviewed on radio about our 2-QB system?

Maybe now I'm getting a bit confused because as I understood it Tebow would run a few snaps a game as a wildcat change of pace. But it seems the consensus the last week from talk radio and national media is that the Jets are going to run a 2-QB system where Tebow gets far more snaps than initially anticipated?

How are Rex and Sparano allowing these rumors to circulate? Why is this a storyline during our training camp?

Very disappointed with the direction the offense has taken and that Rex and Sparano have allowed this nonsense to ruminate. I just don't see where this team is headed right now. I feel bad for Sanchez. You can only imagine what he thinks....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It's all up to Sanchez IMO. If Mark balls the less we see of Tebow.

Last pre season game Mark didnt do much. Tebow did some of what he does well. If Mark struggles again Saturday and Tebow does more of what he does well, we will have talk of Tebow getting more and more snaps. And lets be honest here. If we keep struggling on offense, Tebow style "may" be our best offense. If the rest of pre season the offense moves the ball better with Tebow in the game we could see more snaps than orginally thought in the first couple real games.

Again this is all on Sanchez, if he does his thing, Tebow wont see the field but a few snaps a game. If Mark struggles and the offense is not moving the ball we will see Tebow often.

All Pro
    Media needs a story for ratings, so they make one up and run with it.

Whoever believes the media tells the truth all the time is foolish.

Sanchez is the starting QB
    Tebow is the football player running the wildcat/punt protector/utility player on offense

There is no QB controversy/2 QB system

The End

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post

Last pre season game Mark didnt do much. Tebow did some of what he does well. If Mark struggles again Saturday and Tebow does more of what he does well, we will have talk of Tebow getting more and more snaps. And lets be honest here. If we keep struggling on offense, Tebow style "may" be our best offense. If the rest of pre season the offense moves the ball better with Tebow in the game we could see more snaps than orginally thought in the first couple real games.

Again this is all on Sanchez, if he does his thing, Tebow wont see the field but a few snaps a game. If Mark struggles and the offense is not moving the ball we will see Tebow often.
    I don't necessarily think Mark "struggled" last game. He made all of the right reads and decisions, looked comfortable for the most part in the pocket. He could have done more if the OL held up for a few more plays. In Pre-season the QB doesn't need to throw 2-3 TD's to be "successful"

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post

I think they're setting Mark up to struggle though. The pieces aren't in place for him to have a lot of success. Plus it's unfair to judge him on preseason and take snaps away for that.

Let's also be serious, there's no way an actual 2-QB system would work in the NFL. Rhythm is important to a QB, same as not looking over your shoulder every time you make a bad throw.

This team will go NOWHERE with Tebow as QB. I hope Rex and Sparano realize that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I don't necessarily think Mark "struggled" last game. He made all of the right reads and decisions, looked comfortable for the most part in the pocket. He could have done more if the OL held up for a few more plays. In Pre-season the QB doesn't need to throw 2-3 TD's to be "successful"
    I do agree with you. But we need first downs at least.

All im saying is, the more the offense struggles the more we are going to see of Tebow. If we continue not getting first downs this pre season and looking weak on offense the more we will see off Tebow the first game or 2. It will take Mark performing well for the Jets to see Tebow for only 5 plays a game instead of 10-12.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I think they're setting Mark up to struggle though. The pieces aren't in place for him to have a lot of success. Plus it's unfair to judge him on preseason and take snaps away for that.

Let's also be serious, there's no way an actual 2-QB system would work in the NFL. Rhythm is important to a QB, same as not looking over your shoulder every time you make a bad throw.

This team will go NOWHERE with Tebow as QB. I hope Rex and Sparano realize that.
    I agree. I hate 2-QB system and still hate the Tebow move. But he's a Jet now and i'm on board for whatever the future brings.

It's up to Mark to keep Tebow off the field. Good QB's find a way to move the ball no matter who the weapons are. You can spot a QB who's got game even if the offense has a lack of talent.

Just heard Vinny on Sirius this morning, and naturally he was asked the same thing. He said what would be expected - no QB wants to come out of the game ever. But he did mention that all other positions have subs for special packages, and when you have a potential game-changer like Tebow, why wouldn't you put him on the field?

A true 2-QB system can't work, but if you really look at Tebow as nothing more than a Brad-Smith type, then it's really no different than what the Jets were running in 2010 with more of a threat of the downfield pass.

Let's be honest, many of our existing opinions on Tebow would change if he hits a 50-yarder for a TD out of the wildcat against the Pats and those points are the difference. I don't want to see him taking real snaps either, but Tebow can definitely be more of a playmaker than Smith was.

This to me is another media fabrication. The Jets are not setting up Sanchez to fail. Let's look at the reality and not the ESPN ratings machine..

1) They have a top 20 receiver in Holmes (you can argue lower or higher but there are teams in the NFL with a number 1 worse than Holmes)

2) They traded up in the 2nd round to draft, what many people believe to be, the receiver with the most potential coming out of college. He is a legitimate deep threat, that can also run block

3) Keller is a top 10 receiving TE, with plenty of upside

4) Kerely coming into his second year as a slot reciever should improve coming off a solid rookie season. Another high draft pick.

5) Keeping Hunter seems to a risk they are willing to take, but other than him the o-line is quite solid. Did you want them to cut D'brick for having a sub par year?

You can listen to the media or take an honest look at the offense. It's not great, but they are NOT setting up Sanchez to fail. It's a media fabrication!

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This to me is another media fabrication. The Jets are not setting up Sanchez to fail. Let's look at the reality and not the ESPN ratings machine..

1) They have a top 20 receiver in Holmes (you can argue lower or higher but there are teams in the NFL with a number 1 worse than Holmes)

2) They traded up in the 2nd round to draft, what many people believe to be, the receiver with the most potential coming out of college. He is a legitimate deep threat, that can also run block

3) Keller is a top 10 receiving TE, with plenty of upside

4) Kerely coming into his second year as a slot reciever should improve coming off a solid rookie season. Another high draft pick.

5) Keeping Hunter seems to a risk they are willing to take, but other than him the o-line is quite solid. Did you want them to cut D'brick for having a sub par year?

You can listen to the media or take an honest look at the offense. It's not great, but they are NOT setting up Sanchez to fail. It's a media fabrication!
    1) I'll give you Holmes is probably top 20, but certainly not based on last season. He was barely top 30 or 40 last year.

2) They traded up for a guy with virtually no production in college coming from a triple option offense. Look at Demaryius Thomas's first year stats (something like 300 yards receiving). And he was considered a way better prospect than Hill. Risky thinking this guy can immediately come in and give production.

3) Keller is borderline top 10. Jets really featured him last season because their WRs were garbage. He's a good target, but not a gamechanger by any stretch.

4) Kerley is hurt and was in Rex's doghouse before that. Some potential there, but it's not like he was this bigtime prospect out of college.

5) The o-line has 1 great player, 2 solid players, then 2 question marks. Slauson is decent at times, but Hunter is a liability. I don't see major reason to believe they'll be better than last season. Hopefully Mangold can stay healthy.

I'm sorry, but Sanchez does not have much to work with. He doesn't even have a great back to put him in favorable down and distance. And he's gotta yield snaps to Tebow because Tanny and Rex decided they wanted to make the backup QB the face of the franchise.

Jets Insider VIP
    2011 Denver Broncos say hello.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    They won the division in a very weak division. If they were in the east last year they don't even make the playoffs.

2 year ago Seatle won the division at 7-9 and a playoff game. Does that mean their QB can win anywhere?

They were 8-8 but should have been 6-10 if not for miracles on special teams that Tebow had nothing to do with. Playoff spot on the line they scored 3 points against the Chiefs and had to back in. The Broncos were garbage last season that played one great game in the playoffs. If the Jets are modeling themselves on the 2011 Broncos, that is an utter disgrace....

1) I'll give you Holmes is probably top 20, but certainly not based on last season. He was barely top 30 or 40 last year.

2) They traded up for a guy with virtually no production in college coming from a triple option offense. Look at Demaryius Thomas's first year stats (something like 300 yards receiving). And he was considered a way better prospect than Hill. Risky thinking this guy can immediately come in and give production.

3) Keller is borderline top 10. Jets really featured him last season because their WRs were garbage. He's a good target, but not a gamechanger by any stretch.

4) Kerley is hurt and was in Rex's doghouse before that. Some potential there, but it's not like he was this bigtime prospect out of college.

5) The o-line has 1 great player, 2 solid players, then 2 question marks. Slauson is decent at times, but Hunter is a liability. I don't see major reason to believe they'll be better than last season. Hopefully Mangold can stay healthy.

I'm sorry, but Sanchez does not have much to work with. He doesn't even have a great back to put him in favorable down and distance. And he's gotta yield snaps to Tebow because Tanny and Rex decided they wanted to make the backup QB the face of the franchise.
    I'm not saying they're great but there's this thought in the media that the Jets have purposely given Sanchez nothing to work with in order to make Tebow the starter and I believe that to be utter nonsense.

The WR, Line and RB's are fine if we had a better QB. If anything I would make the counter argument. With that said, Sanchez is still far and away better than Tebow.

Way to shoot high.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm not saying they're great but there's this thought in the media that the Jets have purposely given Sanchez nothing to work with in order to make Tebow the starter and I believe that to be utter nonsense.

The WR, Line and RB's are fine if we had a better QB. If anything I would make the counter argument. With that said, Sanchez is still far and away better than Tebow.
    The amount of criticism our RB and WR group is getting is laughable. We are fine there, I'd prefer to get rid of Holmes, but other than that we should be ok.

People were going crazy when the Giants lost Plax, and Steve Smith stepped up, then when they lost Smith, Manningham stepped up, then Cruz.

The point is, we are young at WR, and RB doesn't mean we are bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    They were 8-8
    4 of those losses were before tebow was in the lineup. So lets be conservative and say Timmy splits those 4 games. Your looking at a 10-6 ballclub my friend. And you can get in the playoffs at 10-6.

Jets Insider VIP
    Way to shoot high.
    When was the last time the jets won the division?

When was the last time the Jets beat the steelers in a playoff game?

When was the last time the jets won the division?

When was the last time the Jets beat the steelers in a playoff game?
    You just can't look at it like that. When was the last time an 8-8 record was good enough to win the AFC East? We're talking about a division that has had at least one first-ballot HOF QB leading his team since the early 80s. Tebow-ball wouldn't have gotten it done in the East in any year since '83.

I'd argue that the Jets' (convincing) victory over the Pats just two years ago was far more meaningful than Tebow stealing a wildcard game against the Steelers.

Bottom line, you have to want more for your team than what you saw from Tebow last year, if you expect to go far in the postseason. Do you know how many games the Broncos won by more than one score last year after Tebow took over? If you get to 2, you counted too high.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    You just can't look at it like that. When was the last time an 8-8 record was good enough to win the AFC East? We're talking about a division that has had at least one first-ballot HOF QB leading his team since the early 80s. Tebow-ball wouldn't have gotten it done in the East in any year since '83.

I'd argue that the Jets' (convincing) victory over the Pats just two years ago was far more meaningful than Tebow stealing a wildcard game against the Steelers.

Bottom line, you have to want more for your team than what you saw from Tebow last year, if you expect to go far in the postseason. Do you know how many games the Broncos won by more than one score last year after Tebow took over? If you get to 2, you counted too high.
    Agreed. He's a deluded Tebow homer. The Broncos offense was arguably the worst in the league after Tebow took over. They won games because of special teams miracles (Miami, SD), opponent meltdowns (Bears), defense (Jets, KC), and playing a string of backup QBs. Tebow had very little to do with any of those wins, the Broncos offense was scoring in the 13-16 point range and rarely scoring at all in the first 3 quarters.

When they faced a real team like the Pats, they were annihilated (twice). Chalk up the Steelers game to complete fluke and case of Steelers being banged up and taking Denver lightly.

In this day and age the 2011 Broncos model is a 6-10 team. It doesn't work in this NFL, I don't care that they were in an awful division they could win at 8-8 and had some miracle plays to even get to 8-8.