Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Bradford/Schotty stuff

Hall Of Fame

Some Bradford/Schotty stuff

Sam Bradford, Brian Schottenheimer speeding up Rams offense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...p-rams-offense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Sam Bradford swears he hasn't heard the criticism that he's become skittish in the pocket, mostly because he's found a way to tune out the football media.

But that doesn't mean he disagrees with the notion completely.

No, the St. Louis Rams' third-year quarterback isn't conceding happy feet or, as one ESPN analyst put it, "cabin fever." What he will cop to is that last year he took too many hits. And that this summer, with new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's help, he's taking the problem head on.

"That's a lot of what I've talked about with Schotty so far," Bradford told NFL.com after a night session last week. "Two days ago in camp, I thought I had a really good practice. I'm not sure the ball hit the ground once. And we got in the film room, and he was all over me about getting the ball out of my hands even quicker, to eliminate hits. He's made it a big point. It's part of my job to help the protection and get the ball out of my hands and make sure that, even if it's not a sack, I'm eliminating the unnecessary hits."

Last season, Bradford took 36 sacks, a number that doesn't seem so astronomical, until proper context is provided.

That context: Bradford only played in 10 games, with some of those performances limited or shortened by injury. Projected over 16 weeks of play, that sack total bulges to 58, which is 14 more than the league-leading 44 sacks taken by San Francisco 49ers QB Alex Smith. That's a pretty good indication as to why Bradford spent six games over three different stretches of time in street clothes in the first place.

Predictably, his completion percentage dipped 6.5 percentage points from 2010 to 2011, while his passer rating fell six points and his TD-INT ratio flattened out to even. A shaky and banged-up offensive line, a shallow pool of receivers, and an injured Steven Jackson contributed to all of that. Schottenheimer is now coaching Bradford to do something about it on his own -- while simultaneously trying to fix the other pieces. And the coordinator says he's teaching Bradford the same things he'd teach any quarterback.

"I don't worry about Sam getting hit," Schottenheimer said. "He's tough. That's the one thing that shows up; I mean, he stands in there and he's taken some punishment. It's our job to keep him from getting hit like that. And I'd be saying that to you if I was talking about Mark Sanchez, Drew Brees or any of the other guys I've coached. You don't want to get those guys hit, because when they do get hit, unfortunately, human nature, it makes you ... not afraid, or scared, but you're aware of it."

That leads to the next phase of the problem, which Schottenheimer quickly identifies.

"And you're forced to move or slide," he continued. "I mentioned the word earlier: rhythm. The best way to be an accurate, excellent passer is to be in rhythm. And when you have to move off your spot, that takes the rhythm from your body."

If Bradford's rhythm has been thrown off by an inability to get comfortable in St. Louis, it's understandable. Schottenheimer is his third coordinator in as many years, following Pat Shurmur and Josh McDaniels. And his first full offseason as a pro was cut in half by the lockout.

Look no further than Smith to see how such tumult can affect a quarterback. But Schottenheimer's found ways to stabilize Bradford's personal position.

First, this year, Bradford has an actual position coach in Frank Cignetti, whereas last year, McDaniels served as both coordinator and QB coach. Bradford said the difference has been "huge," and that it helps to have someone trained on his fundamentals, "those little things that cause you to miss throws, cause you to be late, cause you to miss reads." Second, St. Louis retained last season's backup, Kellen Clemens, who played for Schottenheimer on the New York Jets from 2006 to 2010 and sets the mental bar Bradford feels he has to reach.

Bradford makes no bones about his situation. "Ideally, I'd be going into Year 3 in the same offense I started with when I was a rookie," he said. That not being the case, though, he's taken a liking to Schottenheimer's ways.

"I like the fact that, from what we're doing right now, Schotty's main deal with me is get completions. Keep us ahead of the chains, keep us in good situations, find us a completion and move on down the road," Bradford said. "There are a lot of quick completions, getting the ball out of my hand. I don't think there's gonna be a lot of dropping back, sitting there in the pocket, patting it and waiting for guys to come open 20 yards down the field. It's gonna be about being efficient."

While Bradford's hesitant to call last year under McDaniels a big step back -- after a promising rookie year under Shurmur -- he will admit that 2011 was a disappointment.

That's why Schottenheimer's in St. Louis, along with a new head coach, Jeff Fisher, and general manager, Les Snead. It's also why, the first time they talked, the quarterback told the new coordinator that he was motivated and had "a lot to prove." Learning a new offense gives him the first chance to do that.

"I think it's a matter of me going out and playing, and playing at a high level, and executing the way I know I can," he said. "It's one thing to go into a room and look at it on paper, and have someone ask you a question, and say this, this and this. It's a totally different thing to go out on to the field and take what you learned in the classroom, see the look you talked about, make the check, get to a play, and then make the right throw. It's just a matter of time."

The quicker everything moves from here -- the process, the learning, the ball -- the better for Bradford and the Rams.

Follow Albert Breer on Twitter @AlbertBreer

Rams working to fix Bradford’s “Cabin Fever”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-cabin-fever/

Through two NFL seasons, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford has absorbed a whopping 70 sacks in 26 career games. ESPN’s Ron Jaworski reviewed the 2011 game tape and observed that Bradford has developed “Cabin Fever” in the pocket, playing tentatively and anticipating the pass rush, sometimes when pass rushers aren’t even there.

Though Bradford says he tunes out criticism, he acknowledged to Albert Breer of NFL.com that he’s working with first-year offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to fix and ultimately speed up his pocket mechanics in an effort to rediscover Bradford’s rookie-season form.

“That’s a lot of what I’ve talked about with Schotty so far,” Bradford told Breer. “Two days ago in camp, I thought I had a really good practice. I’m not sure the ball hit the ground once. And we got in the film room, and [Schottenheimer] was all over me about getting the ball out of my hands even quicker, to eliminate hits. He’s made it a big point.

“It’s part of my job to help the protection and get the ball out of my hands and make sure that, even if it’s not a sack, I’m eliminating the unnecessary hits.”

Bradford is on his third different offensive coordinator in three years, taking the Alex Smith and Jason Campbell career path. But he’s optimistic that working with Schottenheimer can get his career back on track. Bradford appeared shell shocked at times in 2011.

“I like the fact that, from what we’re doing right now, Schotty’s main deal with me is ‘get completions,’” Bradford explained. “Keep us ahead of the chains, keep us in good situations, find us a completion and move on down the road. There are a lot of quick completions, getting the ball out of my hand. I don’t think there’s gonna be a lot of dropping back, sitting there in the pocket, patting it and waiting for guys to come open 20 yards down the field.

“It’s gonna be about being efficient.”
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.

"Two days ago in camp, I thought I had a really good practice. I'm not sure the ball hit the ground once. And we got in the film room, and he was all over me about getting the ball out of my hands even quicker, to eliminate hits.

Awful coaching if you go overboard as it can have EXACTLY the opposite effect that you want it to have. Maybe we can see why Sanchez acts like he is being pressured all the time whether he is nor not. It has been drummed into his head to act like he is on every play. A Qb has to be able to take advantage of time if he has it. The OC should be teaching the Qb to recognize real pressure vs perceived pressure and act accordingly not teach him that he has to get rid of the ball too fast on each play because he might get hit.

Schotty mentioned rhythm -- he definitely runs a rhythm offense. Chad and Sanchez were successful when things went smoothly. As soon as Sanchez started taking hits last season the rhythm was off and he looked really bad. I believe his system relies on great protection and a solid running game

"I don't worry about Sam getting hit," Schottenheimer said. "He's tough. That's the one thing that shows up; I mean, he stands in there and he's taken some punishment. It's our job to keep him from getting hit like that. And I'd be saying that to you if I was talking about Mark Sanchez, Drew Brees or any of the other guys I've coached. You don't want to get those guys hit, because when they do get hit, unfortunately, human nature, it makes you ... not afraid, or scared, but you're aware of it."

WTF. Says he is not worried about him being hit then proceeds to talk about not wanting him to get hit. So I guess he is worried about him getting hit.

Thank god he is gone.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    "Two days ago in camp, I thought I had a really good practice. I'm not sure the ball hit the ground once. And we got in the film room, and he was all over me about getting the ball out of my hands even quicker, to eliminate hits.

Awful coaching if you go overboard as it can have EXACTLY the opposite effect that you want it to have. Maybe we can see why Sanchez acts like he is being pressured all the time whether he is nor not. It has been drummed into his head to act like he is on every play. A Qb has to be able to take advantage of time if he has it. The OC should be teaching the Qb to recognize real pressure vs perceived pressure and act accordingly not teach him that he has to get rid of the ball too fast on each play because he might get hit.
    Roger, Mr. Layhey!

I think the biggest difference between Shotty here and Shotty there is the fact they also have Fisher. Fisher has taken some poor to below average QBs pretty far in this league. I loved Collin but he was pretty done those last few years. Young actually looked better in Tenn then Philly despite having "better talent around him and a better OC." He had me believing in Billy Voleck at times. And before that went 6-2 with Neil O'Donnell! Yes he was a DC but unlike Herm, Mangi, or Rex he seems more involved with the O. I don't think he would hesitate to start calling plays over Shotty or say no this is what I want to see.

Will be interesting to see how Bradford develops under Schotty. I think there's no question at this point that he was the wrong guy for Sanchez, but with the right QB, I'm betting it's not the disaster we saw at times here.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Schotty mentioned rhythm -- he definitely runs a rhythm offense. Chad and Sanchez were successful when things went smoothly. As soon as Sanchez started taking hits last season the rhythm was off and he looked really bad. I believe his system relies on great protection and a solid running game
    That's true but one of the fundamental flaws in Schott the lesser's system is that he also wants to trick the defense with moving formations and motion, which causes the offense to also be a little out iof sync and lose rhythhm.

If Bradford throws for 4800 yards, throws 35TD's & the Rams are 11-5 and we're struggling for that last playoff spot .... this forum will turn into Doomsday. It would be a Woodhead effect x100

i really think Shotty will do well...i dont think he is the greatest OC, but i dont think he is bad either...just wasnt right here.

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    If Bradford throws for 4800 yards, throws 35TD's & the Rams are 11-5 and we're struggling for that last playoff spot .... this forum will turn into Doomsday. It would be a Woodhead effect x100
    Doubt it.

There were WAY more Woodhead supporters here than Schotty ones. If he has success with Bradford, people will see it as an indictment on Sanchez, but you won't see ANY regret that Schotty was canned . . .

"I like the fact that, from what we're doing right now, Schotty's main deal with me is get completions. Keep us ahead of the chains, keep us in good situations, find us a completion and move on down the road," Bradford said. "There are a lot of quick completions, getting the ball out of my hand. I don't think there's gonna be a lot of dropping back, sitting there in the pocket, patting it and waiting for guys to come open 20 yards down the field. It's gonna be about being efficient."

People here wondered why we never took shots down the field. Schotty doesn't understand that the short passing game is predacated on fear of the long pass. When CB's and LB's are jumping routs because they dont fear the long ball those short passes become much more dangerous and difficult to complete. I couldn't be happier that Schitty is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post

People here wondered why we never took shots down the field. Schotty doesn't understand that the short passing game is predacated on fear of the long pass. When CB's and LB's are jumping routs because they dont fear the long ball those short passes become much more dangerous and difficult to complete. I couldn't be happier that Schitty is gone.
    Wow, that quote is telling. Glad to see Schotty gone too.

Just the type of mindset doesn't work in the NFL - you need quick strike, big plays in the NFL to really succeed.

No, it has nothing to do with Schotty not understanding. We took shots down the field when we had a WR (Edwards) who could get down field. Last year, we didn't have anyone who could get down the field. Nor did we from 2006-2009. This year we have two WRs who can: Schillens and Hill.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Good thing we don't have to worry about that.

Schotty needs a top 5 o-line for his offense to work

All League
    Did anyone see STL first drive of the game against IND? It was typical
    Schotty:

- 3rd & 4 from midfield. There's confusion on getting the play in, the
    play clock runs out. Delay of game penalty, it's now 3rd & 9. Bradford
    throws an incompletion, punt. You couldn't make it up

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    No, it has nothing to do with Schotty not understanding. We took shots down the field when we had a WR (Edwards) who could get down field. Last year, we didn't have anyone who could get down the field. Nor did we from 2006-2009. This year we have two WRs who can: Schillens and Hill, unfortunately only one of them will be healthy enough to be active on gameday.
    Fixed.

Jets Insider VIP

Poor Sam. What he doesn't realize is that Shoddy talks a good game. He sounds great and says all the right things. And he looks good doing it with his mock turtlenecks and his detailed playsheet. Looks like the prototypical sideline coach. Right?

Then it all goes to **** in a bucket on gameday when he has to actually make adjustments to what the defense is doing. It gets worse in the 2nd half because he has no ****ing idea how to make adjustments at halftime either.

Yeah. Enjoy your season Sam. Hopefully you won't be watching it from the sidelines or on TV while rehabbing an injury.

Bradford's career is over.