Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Gary Bettmann vs. Donald Fehr

  1. #21
    If the players weren't allowed to sign with European teams, this lockout wouldn't have materialized.

    The fact of the matter is this. The owners are their own worse enemies. I'm sorry, you can't hand out 90 million dollar contract to JAGs like Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and then cry about rising costs.

    But having said that....the NHL is THEIR (the owners) league. The players are certainly well compensated as it is (compared to what players were paid 20-30 years ago). I don't think the players have a leg to stand on.

    If the European leagues honored the NHL's lockout and didn't sign defectors....i believe a new CBA would've been agreed upon by now.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,070
    Let's Goooooooooooooooo!!!

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,196
    Yessir..mlb is the most competitive of them all...

    When the 700 million payroll Pin$triper$ match up their 25 billionaires against the Royals whose total payroll is less than what Gayrod makes....

    You know its gonna be an even up competitive baseball match

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,070
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Yessir..mlb is the most competitive of them all...

    When the 700 million payroll Pin$triper$ match up their 25 billionaires against the Royals whose total payroll is less than what Gayrod makes....

    You know its gonna be an even up competitive baseball match

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Is it illegal for any other team in MLB to run things like the Yankees?

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,196
    Of cawse not Jawn...of cawse not..golly gee Jawn the system is perfectly wicked faih for awl teams.

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If the players weren't allowed to sign with European teams, this lockout wouldn't have materialized.

    The fact of the matter is this. The owners are their own worse enemies. I'm sorry, you can't hand out 90 million dollar contract to JAGs like Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and then cry about rising costs.

    But having said that....the NHL is THEIR (the owners) league. The players are certainly well compensated as it is (compared to what players were paid 20-30 years ago). I don't think the players have a leg to stand on.

    If the European leagues honored the NHL's lockout and didn't sign defectors....i believe a new CBA would've been agreed upon by now.
    But the rising costs aren't due to giving JAGS obnoxious contracts.

    The NHL has a hard cap. The players as a whole get 57% of league-wide revenue. Not a penny more or a penny less. If Suter or Parise get this much, than another player gets less. The issue is that the players get 57% of revenues. The owners need more than 43% to cover their operating costs, which include all of the first rate amenities the players bargained for (first-class air travel, high-end hotels, meal allowances, travel money on the road, etc).
    Last edited by Crease29; 09-22-2012 at 07:38 PM.

  7. #27
    Well with Revis out and the NHL lockout in full swing, my winter just became wide open.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,070
    Think positive.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
    But the rising costs aren't due to giving JAGS obnoxious contracts.

    The NHL has a hard cap. The players as a whole get 57% of league-wide revenue. Not a penny more or a penny less. If Suter or Parise get this much, than another player gets less. The issue is that the players get 57% of revenues. The owners need more than 43% to cover their operating costs, which include all of the first rate amenities the players bargained for (first-class air travel, high-end hotels, meal allowances, travel money on the road, etc).
    Its still the owners deciding to ink these ridiculous 12 year, 100 million dollar deals.

    This is going to kill this friggin sport. Bettman is a gnarly little weasel.

  10. #30
    What sucks is I really got into hockey last year.The Panthers made the playoffs for the first time in a decade,I went to a playoff game.What an experience.

    I hope they get this settled soon.This sport is barely on the national radar as it is.Another lost season the only people left will be the die hards

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,070
    It's gonna happen.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If the players weren't allowed to sign with European teams, this lockout wouldn't have materialized.

    The fact of the matter is this. The owners are their own worse enemies. I'm sorry, you can't hand out 90 million dollar contract to JAGs like Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and then cry about rising costs.

    But having said that....the NHL is THEIR (the owners) league. The players are certainly well compensated as it is (compared to what players were paid 20-30 years ago). I don't think the players have a leg to stand on.

    If the European leagues honored the NHL's lockout and didn't sign defectors....i believe a new CBA would've been agreed upon by now.
    Parise is a JAG?

    I'm not pleased he left but what the **** are you smoking...

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Its still the owners deciding to ink these ridiculous 12 year, 100 million dollar deals.

    This is going to kill this friggin sport. Bettman is a gnarly little weasel.
    The NHL has a pretty interesting economic system in place. Here's how it currently works:

    At the end of every season independent auditors tally up the sum of "hockey-related revenue" (HRR) for all 30 NHL clubs. Last year it was around $3.3B. The league uses that figure to project revenues for the upcoming season and allocates 57% (the players' share) towards the NHL's salary cap. Example calculation:

    2011 HRR: $3.3B
    2012 Players' Share: $3.3B x .57 = $1.88B
    Midpoint of 2012 Salary Cap = $1.88B / 30 = $62M

    Each owner is allowed to spend within $8M of the midpoint. So the ceiling becomes $70M and the floor becomes $54M. Now, not every owner will spend exactly $62M on his roster. Some spend up to the ceiling. Some spend close to the floor. The league will track the sum of all money being paid out to players for the 2012 season and see how close that matches 57% of projected revenues, which start at $1.88B but fluctuate based on adjustments made at four different points during the season. The league withholds between 5% and 20% of players salaries in escrow until the end of the season. If the sum of player salaries for the year exceeds 57% of actual HRR, a sufficient amount from the escrow goes back into the owners pocket in order to reach the 57%. If the sum of player salaries for the year is below 57% of actual HRR, checks are sent out to the players from the escrow so that the players get their promised share of 57%.

    At the end of the day, the crazy contracts don't matter. Hypothetically speaking, every player could have been signed to 10 year $100M contracts. The mechanics of the salary cap would require those players to give some of that money back to the owners until the collective whole paid out reaches 57% of HRR.

    The health of the league is being jeopardized by the fact that the salary cap is being calculated based primarily on income of the haves. The have-nots are forced to spend to the cap-floor. Revenue sharing could help, but salaries need to come down as well. 57% of revenues going to the players is high, anyway you slice it.

  14. #34
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,196
    congratulations Donald Fehr

    after destroying MLB you are now well on your way to destroying the NHL

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Not sure about that....but rooting for anybody against Fehr...the stinking douche that made MLB into the non competitive. WWE- like mess it is today

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    non-competitive?...

  16. #36
    Just an update for those who are interested [insert hockey joke here].

    At the expiration of the last CBA, the owners were paying the players a guaranteed 57% of hockey-related revenues each season. Their end-goal is to get that down to 50% starting next season, whenever that may be.

    Fehr and the players have accepted being paid 50% of revenues as long as existing contracts are fully honored. They want to delink salaries from revenue, get paid 1.89B this year (same as last year), a slight raise in Year 2, and another raise in Year 3. They argue that if the league's revenues continue to grow at the rate it has in the past, what they want in Year 3 will effectively be 50% of revenues.

    Owners don't want to delink. They don't want to depend on projected growth in order to reach 50/50. They want it guaranteed, and they want it in Year 1. They've offered a Make Whole provision that effectively defers salaries that exceed 50% of revenues, and spread it out over the remaining years of players contracts. However, the players argue that this effectively takes money out of other players pockets, since it just redistributes the players share from one player to another.

    The parties are closer than they let on. They've agreed in principle to 50/50. They just need to agree on how to get there. If they can strike a deal by October 25th, they will start on November 2 and play a full 82 game schedule.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us