Thread: 2012 Rookie QB watch

2012 Rookie QB watch

To me this seem like a way better QB class then last years. Lets take a look a few few guy that we might see start games this year and what they looked like in week 1 pre. Sorry for the lateness on this took me a while to actually watch a few of these guys.

1. Andrew Luck IND - Luck didn't let down in his 1st game with a 142.7 QBR! No question about it. Indy may still suck but he will make people want to watch. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said he is amazing for a rook. But I also don't see him doing a full 16. Stanton will likely see some time. There is really no need to push Luck this year if he gets even a little injured.

2. RG3 Was - Griffen was only in for 6 passes but had 70 yards and a TD. He definitely left the fans looking for more. Small sample but it was impressive. People are saying they kept him in the pocket. If you watch him in college that was pretty much how he played. He is not a guy that just takes off running for no real reason. Can't say the same for Cousins who wasn't nearly as good. Not sure if you will see Cousins at all this year.

3. Ryan Tannehill Miami - Anther high draft pick and anther pretty good showing in week 1. 14 for 21 167 yards 1 RD with 106.6 QBR. May have won the starting spot right there. I have to admit he looked better then I thought he would. I'd still like to see him work on his mechanic and get more zip but he played a smart game. I really see no reason for Miami not to start Ryan at this point. Garrard starting would have been one thing but Moore is still young and if he turned a good year you'd just be further delaying your future.

4. Brandon Weeden Cle - Not a great 1st game but will likely still start day one. I still don't agree with that as he is the 3rd best QB on that team right now. That said he still looks better then last years big push in Ponder. Right there that is 4 likely rookie starters week 1 which is crazy. As I am typing this Weeden is having an OK game 2 with 118 yards. Still doesn't look better then his BUs. I am stepping off this one as McCoy just seems like the real deal to me. I just don't get it.

5. Russel Wilson Sea - He is looking like this year Andy Dalton. This is a guy with all odds against him but is really making a case to start right now. 12 for 16 with a 91.7 QBR. Not too shabby. A lot of people liked him but no one wanted to draft him early it seems. I am rooting to see this kid start but it is not very likely week 1. I do think we see him at some point though. Seattle is just in bad shape at QB. Wilson wasn't great in game 1 but did look like the better QB. Flynn and TJ just don't have what it takes to be a starter. Wilson was against 3rd string though so take it as you will.

6. Ryan Lindley Zona- Despite the poor QBR also may have a shot to start in Zona. He racked up 166 yards and Kolb was horrid. Right now it looks like Skelton is the starter and Fitz is asking for TJ apparently. OK again 3rd string but it seriously he is better then Kolb. Funny how things end up when your WR tell you who he wants as a QB. Maybe a 2nd and a starting LB for Tebow? lol Lindley has a really good shot at being the QB here IMO. I don't think Zona keeps Kolb if he doesn't shape up. He has had the time in the league and just shouldn't look this bad.

7. Austin Davis SL - Ok not going to start at least not until Sam gets his 20th sack in say week 2. I don't think you'll see Clemens yearning to play for Shotty. Davis went 12 for 18 but yeah only had like 4.7 yards per play. Again par for a Shotty O. I have to be honest I couldn't watch this game all that much. Lets just hope Clemens doesn't try to take him under his wing. Very likely we see him play with that line.

8 Brock Osweiler Den - Yeah Manning will start but he in going to take a lot more hits then he ever has in his career. I don't see them going with Hanie. Unless they find anther vet QB Brock will likely see some action this year. Brock was 4 of 7 with a TD. I expect to see a lot more of him next game. It was just a small sample but he looked good. He is a big bull that fires cannon shots.

9 Nick Foles Philly - I think it is a given he ends up the BU at this point. Yes just one pre but 144 yards with 2 TDs. Kafka doesn't look good at all and Trent is a joke. If they really think they are a PO team they don't put either one of them in. Which means we will see him play at least 3 games this year maybe more. If you listen to Philly radio they are already calling him the future QB. Now they normally say that of every QB but really Foles actually looks it IMO. He has that fast release Andy has been trying to teach others to do for decades now.

Clemens and Ratliff used to look like studs in preseason. Other than RG3 and Luck, the majority of these guys are scrubs regardless of what they showed in a preseason game. Wilson could surprise. I think Tannehill has bust written all over him. Weeden will be serviceable at best. The rest of the guys may not even be in the league in 3 years.

All Pro
    Nice little write up, but you made two glaring errors in your assessment

Weeden - His arm is live and he looked pretty good tonight. To say that his BUs looked as good speaks volumes about how little you've watched CLE. Colt's got a head on his shoulders, but he's far from an NFL talent. 1/2 of CLE's starting O are rookies. Time to look at around weeden as well as at weeden.

Wilson - He looks nothing like Andy Dalton. Not in skill, or in situation. Ridiculous statement. ...And odds stacked against him? What are these odds? Wilson's outplayed Flynn the entire training camp just about. So they paid Matt Flynn. And they'll probably play him. I don't know these odds are, or where you're getting your Wilson tape from, but you do well to reconsider your stance on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Nice little write up, but you made two glaring errors in your assessment

Weeden - His arm is live and he looked pretty good tonight. To say that his BUs looked as good speaks volumes about how little you've watched CLE. Colt's got a head on his shoulders, but he's far from an NFL talent. 1/2 of CLE's starting O are rookies. Time to look at around weeden as well as at weeden.

Wilson - He looks nothing like Andy Dalton. Not in skill, or in situation. Ridiculous statement. ...And odds stacked against him? What are these odds? Wilson's outplayed Flynn the entire training camp just about. So they paid Matt Flynn. And they'll probably play him. I don't know these odds are, or where you're getting your Wilson tape from, but you do well to reconsider your stance on him.
    It is just hard for me to watch Weeden and say that was a good pick. Oddly I watched a lot of Cleveland last year and McCoy was the best player they had. Weeden right now does not look better then McCoy who is younger. Both games so far McCoy looks more the roll to me. McCoy only get boned because he isn't the athlete at QB teams want today. Weeden has some talent not calling him a bust. Maybe he is better then Wallace but Wallace is a viable BU in this league. So far I see no reason they should be better then last year on O. McCoy simply gives them a better chance at winning now and a brighter future IMO. My dad is a Cleveland fan so some of this comes from what he sees as well.

I wasn't trying to compare the skills of Dalton with Wilson. Just that neither where early picks but Wilson like Dalton could get the early call to lead a team. I just think he will be the surprise of the draft like Dalton was. That is not something you see every year. Wilson wasn't supposed to be in that QB battle so yeah I feel safe to say he is beating the odds. Given his size I have seen QBs look good and still not even make the team. But this is Carroll we are talking so you really never know. Wilson may just be his best shot to save his job at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Clemens and Ratliff used to look like studs in preseason. Other than RG3 and Luck, the majority of these guys are scrubs regardless of what they showed in a preseason game. Wilson could surprise. I think Tannehill has bust written all over him. Weeden will be serviceable at best. The rest of the guys may not even be in the league in 3 years.
    Clemens never really looked great. We tried to say he did but really it was only because he could throw down field and Pennington couldn't. He always looked sloppy even in a vanilla O. Ratliff I'll give you but in the same breath I'll ask did anyone really buy into him? No one ever said well Ratliff is the future of this team. At least not without being laughed at. Honestly with the exception of Davis every one of these guys listed have a shot to be the future of their team. Call them scubbs all you want but you're going to see a LOT of them play this year so the league doesn't agree with your assessment.

All Pro
    I think Wilson is going to be very good.

All League
    Kellen Moore - Boy did he look horrible. Unathletic, short, no arm, etc.. basically every bad thing to say as a reason he wasn't drafted, despite the barking by the media, was spot on.

All Pro
    I'm in love with Wilson decision's making. The man's looking deep every play. I'm seeing shades of early Brees. I know, I know.... but that's what it looks like. Unrefined Breesus.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm in love with Wilson decision's making. The man's looking deep every play. I'm seeing shades of early Brees. I know, I know.... but that's what it looks like. Unrefined Breesus.
    Short QB's that flash = The next Brees

Never fails

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Kellen Moore - Boy did he look horrible. Unathletic, short, no arm, etc.. basically every bad thing to say as a reason he wasn't drafted, despite the barking by the media, was spot on.
    Yeah Moore was bad but he made it on college stats alone. I had him at 10 but even said it was only do to that. I don't think anyone really thought he'd be a good pro QB but the back end was actually pretty good this year. I think Corp is the bigger disappointment. How he didn't get past the 1st round in Buff is mind blowing. Out side of the even guys like Matt Simms and GJ Kinne have made some impressions.

Luck is "amazing" after one pre-season game? Are you high?

Jets Insider VIP
    Im in South Florida, so Im will be keeping an eye on Tann Marino tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Luck is "amazing" after one pre-season game? Are you high?
    What would you call a 142.7 in his 1st pro appearance on 1st team? He has been nothing less then advertised and that is amazing given the hype.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Im in South Florida, so Im will be keeping an eye on Tann Marino tonight.
    Give us an analysis. Then can u compare what u see tonight to what we see next week when we play the Panthers

Bumb. Any new thoughts? At the end of the year 7 of these guys had roles as starters. Overall my opinion on all of them have stayed the same.

You know it's a good QB draft when the #1 drafted QB is the 3rd best rookie QB during the season, and most believe "as good as expected".

It's funny because by normal standards Tannehill had a pretty good rookie year. It helped knowing the playbook but he threw a good ball, would keep his eyes downfield and deliver nice passes right before a hit, and had two 4 game stretches without a pick. But the guy is being completely overshadowed by an amazing rookie qb class. I'm really curious to see who wins rookie of the year. Also, curious to see how they do next year. With the way Cam Newton struggled this year, I wonder if Griffin or Wilson will too. It's going to be an interesting class to follow throughout their careers. I just pray Tannehill is a quarterback and so far I've liked what I've seen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think Wilson is going to be very good.