Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vince Young v Tebow

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Vince Young v Tebow

As a UT grad, I am biased. Watching the Buffalo game on the nfl network. In addition to being a better runner than Tebow, I note that Vince Young has mastered the forward pass. I note that he has won plenty of nfl games where the other team scored double digit points. Playoff games won - yep. Young may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but Teblow can't throw!

In addition to giving up picks, the Jets are probably paying Teblow more money. #Failure

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta disagree with you on Young being a better runner. Young relies on his athleticism when he takes off running, which has sharply declined. Tebow runs with power and breaks tackles like nothing.

Lets not forget the guy is a headcase and looking at his past stats, he isnt that much a better passer than Tebow.

Young is 29 and on the last legs of his career while Tebow is still only 25. I dont know what the point of this thread is but if you're insinuating that the Jets should have picked up Young instead of Tebow to run the wildcat, I think your UT homerism got the best of you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    Gotta disagree with you on Young being a better runner. Young relies on his athleticism when he takes off running, which has sharply declined. Tebow runs with power and breaks tackles like nothing.

Lets not forget the guy is a headcase and looking at his past stats, he isnt that much a better passer than Tebow.

Young is 29 and on the last legs of his career while Tebow is still only 25. I dont know what the point of this thread is but if you're insinuating that the Jets should have picked up Young instead of Tebow to run the wildcat, I think your UT homerism got the best of you.
    AGREED! or its just another useless attack on Tebow for whatever reason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great, just what the jets would need, another guy to quit on the team. I don't think the Tebow signing was a good one, but if it kept the jets from considering
    that quitter, Tebow has already paid dividends.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vince Young is hot Garbage!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Vince Young is hot Garbage!
    Good point, Schroy48

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    As a UT grad, I am biased. Watching the Buffalo game on the nfl network. In addition to being a better runner than Tebow, I note that Vince Young has mastered the forward pass. I note that he has won plenty of nfl games where the other team scored double digit points. Playoff games won - yep. Young may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but Teblow can't throw!

In addition to giving up picks, the Jets are probably paying Teblow more money. #Failure
    To support your argument, I don't think that Tim Tebow is that much brighter than Vince Young. I think Vince Young is a much better passer but I still would prefer Tebow over Young. Why? Competitive spirit and will to win.

Tebow is mentally strong. He may have 50% of the US people adoring him but the other 50% are laughing at his mechanics and not to mention his orthodox beliefs. The dude still comes out with a smile and a positive attitude. He is completely unflappable, no member of the press has ever made him angry, the kid is completely composed. Despite having a whack throwing motion he willed a team to the second round of the playoffs.

Tebow in a landslide over Young ... and this is coming from a Sanchez fan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vince is by far the better skill and talent player, but his demise began when we were in H.S(different H.S., but same area)... Out here we all knew Vince was going to be in the league and people pounced on that... He was always surrounded by "Yes Men" rather than people who would tell him what's real, Mack Brown included... Vince is a good dude, but lacked the direction he needed to stay humble and hungry... As much as I dislike the texans, they actually did a great job in not drafting him... I think he would've had more issues and a higher level of complacency playing in Houston...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    #Failure
    Please stop. This isn't Twitter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Tebow is a more physical type runner. He's better suited to run the Wildcat, goal line, short yardage, etc. I agree that Vince Young is a better passer and a more fluid runner.

The biggest factor is that Tebow isn't the headcase Young is, which is why he's on his 3rd team in as many years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    To support your argument, I don't think that Tim Tebow is that much brighter than Vince Young. I think Vince Young is a much better passer but I still would prefer Tebow over Young. Why? Competitive spirit and will to win.

Tebow is mentally strong. He may have 50% of the US people adoring him but the other 50% are laughing at his mechanics and not to mention his orthodox beliefs. The dude still comes out with a smile and a positive attitude. He is completely unflappable, no member of the press has ever made him angry, the kid is completely composed. Despite having a whack throwing motion he willed a team to the second round of the playoffs.

Tebow in a landslide over Young ... and this is coming from a Sanchez fan.
    You need to watch film of Young beating USC for the national championship by himself. He willed the longhorns to that victory. That was competitive spirit and will to win! As a pro, he won a LOT of games until he had a falling out with a coach who never wanted him. Until that blowup,

Unlike Tebow, Young is an adequate backup to a starter. Why? He can actually throw the ball to the receiver.

If Fitzgerald falters or gets hurt, they can go to Vince and have a shot at winning with the forward pass. If Sachize can't do it, we have to abandoned the forward pass.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vince Young has "mastered" the forward pass?

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

LOL
    Let's not push it. LOL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Young and Tebow are actually very similar.

I still remember the arguments I had with people during his early years. He had terrible passing numbers, but the Titans kept winning games with him. He led a number of 4th quarter comebacks and people declared him a "winner." They talked about how you couldn't compare him to other quarterbacks because he played the game differently. Young was a unique player, a new kind of quarterback. So it didn't matter that he couldn't throw.

I said it was unsustainable and was eventually proven right. We're going through the same thing with Tebow right now. We have a small sample size from which to evaluate him and defensive coaching staffs are still in the process of figuring out how to defend him (because he is a different kind of quarterback).

Vince Young is actually capable of completing passes, but he's an interception machine, except for the stretch near the end of his run Tennessee. They started out 0-6 with Collins one year, then went 8-2 to end the year with Young as the starter. They got off to a fast start the next year, then the offense sputtered for a few weeks and Fisher had his excuse to put Collins back in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL
    Compared to Tebow, Vince is Peyton Manning when it comes to passing skills.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL
    LOL of the year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the whole tebow thing is certainly interesting. here's a guy who is a much better runner than passer playing in a position where most teams do their utmost to make sure the guy stays upright. the thing the jets need to do is play into tebow's strengths. no mention if he can catch the ball or not. if nothing else, tebow is certainly a football player and that connotes the ability to understand the game and always keep trying. if tebow can catch then he could very well be the second coming of paul hornung. hornung was a qb at nd before being drafted by the pack but he made his fame as a running back/pass receiver.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    You can make an argument for either as far as on the field ability, but Tebow's a good teammate and locker room presence, VY not so much.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a Young fan but Tebow wins this on IQ and leadership alone. I wouldn't let Young lead a boy scout troop at this point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the whole tebow thing is certainly interesting. here's a guy who is a much better runner than passer playing in a position where most teams do their utmost to make sure the guy stays upright. the thing the jets need to do is play into tebow's strengths. no mention if he can catch the ball or not. if nothing else, tebow is certainly a football player and that connotes the ability to understand the game and always keep trying. if tebow can catch then he could very well be the second coming of paul hornung. hornung was a qb at nd before being drafted by the pack but he made his fame as a running back/pass receiver.
    Didn't everyone play the single wing back then? A QB who can't throw doesn't belong on an nfl roster as the key backup!