Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: NY Jetsí Santonio Holmes relishes role as mentor....

Article: NY Jetsí Santonio Holmes relishes role as mentor....

Hope Tone's attitude continues on this path and that it carries over to other things as well. Really good to see. Sanchez's comments at the end are interesting to say the least.

NY Jets’ Santonio Holmes relishes role as mentor to Gang Green’s young wide receivers

While mercurial veteran has reputation as an enigma, coach Rex Ryan, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano laud him for his leadership role this preseason.

CORTLAND — He stood in the parking lot just past 9:30 a.m. last Sunday, unrecognizable from 20 yards away, moving his arms and aligning three teammates across the parcel of pavement.

The brief morning tutorial in the car ride from the dormitories hadn't sunk in for the others, so Santonio Holmes hopped out of the black SUV, wearing a t-shirt and shorts, to better get his point across before walking into the locker room. He moved rookie wide receiver Stephen Hill across the asphalt like a chess piece and directed Patrick Turner and Joe McKnight.

Seven months after Holmes sat alone on the Jets' bench under the Miami sun in Week 17, the enduring image of a season gone wrong, the mercurial wide receiver has found a renewed purpose to earn back trust from the people that matter the most to him. He's embraced his role as a mentor to an inexperienced wide receiver corps, a departure from his image as a divisive force that helped derail the Jets last season.

"Being a mentor to these young guys that we have in our receiving corps has been fun for me," said Holmes, who will miss the second preseason game against the Giants on Saturday due to a rib-cartilage injury. "I want these young guys to know that in order to be the best, these are the things that you have to work on."

Holmes has been an enigma, a supreme talent that has expressed his frustrations in odd ways. He recently took ownership of his mistakes from 2011, but also labeled himself as a scapegoat. He's ready to put last year's mess behind him.

"We're not digging up dead bodies," wide receiver Patrick Turner said.

To that end, Holmes has taken special interest in helping rookie receivers like Hill and Royce Pollard, providing 24-hour service not limited to the wide receiver meeting room.

"We could be in the cafeteria and he'll teach right there," Hill laughed. "That's normal. That's every day. If I have a question, just ask him. It really does matter to him."

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano joked that the 28-year-old Holmes is the graybeard of the receiver corps.

"You have a responsibility to make sure that these young guys understand, and anyway you can help them… you help them," Sparano told Holmes after he was hired. Holmes accepted the responsibility.

"It was a little bit of a surprise on my end," Sparano said. "Sometimes that's not natural for veteran players, because it's such a competitive business. But Santonio's been tremendous. I'm glad the young guys have used it… He's likes to teach. Sometime down the road when he's done playing this game, I think he might be a coach one day."

Rex Ryan has been impressed with Holmes' penchant for reinforcing wide receiver coach Sanjay Lal's lessons in the meeting room.

"He chimes in a lot like that," Lal said. "And I welcome it. I want the group to be open and have open discourse."

Holmes will chat everywhere every day with every receiver. He's constantly doling out technique advice in person or via text messages as he learns Sparano's new system. When the offensive coordinator knocked on Holmes' dormitory door for bed check recently, he was happy to see Holmes with his nose in the playbook.

"I'm a little surprised (he's been mentoring so much) because he's learning a brand new system," said Ryan, who hopes that Holmes will play in the third preseason game against the Panthers next week. "Sometimes when you do that, you're kind of focused in and in your own world. He's trying to bring these guys along as well. I know one thing: Santonio cares a great deal about this football team."

When Lal conveys a point in meetings to Hill, Turner, Jeremy Kerley or Chaz Schilens, Holmes invariably turns to Pollard.

"Royce, write that down," Holmes instructs.

"He always takes the initiative to make sure that I'm doing what it takes to be a professional," Pollard said. "He's giving me advice and criticism on everything. He's really done a lot as far as being a leader and a big brother helping out the younger guys. He's always that positive influence. That meant a lot."

Mark Sanchez knows how much Holmes wants to help out this season after their relationship went through rough patches in 2011.

"We both were like, 'We just got to get back to where we were,'" Sanchez said. "That first year he came in and lit up the place and it was awesome. So how did we get there? I know we were doing extra routes. We were watching extra film. There was a lot of work that went into it. It looks great on Sundays but it doesn't just happen. You can't just wake up in a hotel and think, 'Alright, let's go play well.' I think we started to get into that last year. We weren't as close as we should have been. We know we can fix it."

Holmes has conveyed that message to the younger players: Put in the work each day.

His inability to practice for the past two weeks due to the rib injury suffered during an intrasquad scrimmage has been the latest obstacle.

"He's really in a tough spot right now, because he's earning the respect of guys back," Sanchez said. "He wants to earn their respect back. When you get hurt, you can't go out there and prove it."

Holmes, who isn't expected to miss the start of the regular season in three weeks, has remained engaged with his teammates when he's been at practice, helping out however he can.

"You're hoping it's not just lip service," Sanchez said. "He's got to do it on the field and that's what these guys are really looking forward to."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz23rOzytec

Rookie
    Good read and good to see a positive article about Holmes. Hopefully it does the rookies some good. Thanks for the post!

Veteran
    We made a big mistake signing Holmes. I can't stand him as a Jet.

I always support the boys in green and white, but I can't for Holmes. Can't wait till he's gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Holmes relishes being self important. This doesn't surprise me that he enjoys telling others what he thinks they should do.

Hall Of Fame
    Anyone who can watch him on hard knocks and read about how he's working with and helping the young guys and STILL think he's a cancer is seriously delusional. Yea, Tone got sick and tired of our oline playing like scrubs and let his frustration boil over, but can you blame him?

#10 all day.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Anyone who can watch him on hard knocks and read about how he's working with and helping the young guys and STILL think he's a cancer is seriously delusional. Yea, Tone got sick and tired of our oline playing like scrubs and let his frustration boil over, but can you blame him?

#10 all day.
    Yeah I can. He cost us the season, was fighting with teammates over his petulance. I didn't see anyone else acting like that. Diva WR with no production to back up the ego. Making a catch in the Super Bowl doesn't qualify production. And Ben makes every WR he has look better than they are with his constant running around and throwing to broken routes.

All League
    Time to make him a captain

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

#10 all day.
    you are partly right. He is a good guy that wants to win and was just frustrated like we all l were. But no matter how frustrated you are, you never do what he did at the end of the season. No excuse. You can't just be a leader when times are good, in fact true leaders are there for you especially during the bad times.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    you are partly right. He is a good guy that wants to win and was just frustrated like we all l were. But no matter how frustrated you are, you never do what he did at the end of the season. No excuse. You can't just be a leader when times are good, in fact true leaders are there for you especially during the bad times.
    Agreed. I'm not saying Tone is perfect or anything, though. He shouldn't have exploded on the field. That was dumb. But, I can understand his frustration.

Also, to say he cost us the season is retarded. Mark turning the ball over, the oline getting Mark killed, and Tone letting his frustration get to him cost us the season. Can't just put everything on Tone.

Veteran
    I just hope that this turns out to be good for him. That'll be good for the Jets. We need him to play like a respected vet and not what he used to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Really? was he a cancer prior to the Dolphins game? How bad has Holmes really been for the Jets locker? I see the media blowing it waaaaay out of proportion....Holmes is good for the younger receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    We made a big mistake signing Holmes. I can't stand him as a Jet.

I always support the boys in green and white, but I can't for Holmes. Can't wait till he's gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Correction....a bad o line cost us the season

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Yeah I can. He cost us the season, was fighting with teammates over his petulance. I didn't see anyone else acting like that. Diva WR with no production to back up the ego. Making a catch in the Super Bowl doesn't qualify production. And Ben makes every WR he has look better than they are with his constant running around and throwing to broken routes.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Really? was he a cancer prior to the Dolphins game? How bad has Holmes really been for the Jets locker? I see the media blowing it waaaaay out of proportion....Holmes is good for the younger receiver.
    Yes. He was a problem all season.

Holmes is not good for anyone, let alone the young receivers. Anyone can behave when things are going well. When things aren't going smoothly, you see what kind of prick this guy really is.

Practice Squad
    I agree with southside theres no excuse for fighting with your teamates on the field. However before that there was nothing of the sort and it happened 8 months ago people really need to let that game go. If you think Holmes is bad for the team I advise you to go watch his 2010 highlights.When he is on his game he really is as good as it gets and he has a superbowl mvp trophy and a game winning catch to prove it.
    Last edited by JETSALLDAY24; 08-18-2012 at 12:27 AM.

IIRC, didn't he publicly throw the Oline under the bus prior to the Miami game ? Wasn't he also a dick in a extra session that Sanchez called, and then skipped another one ???

It's great that he's mentoring the young guys on the position. That he's good in that regard doesn't preclude him from being a cancerous prick in others. That's why I talked about hoping that it carries over to other things. That he figures it out and grows the hell up.

Quote Originally Posted by JETSALLDAY24 View Post
    I agree with southside theres no excuse for fighting with your teamates on the field. However before that there was nothing of the sort and it happened 8 months ago people really need to let that game go. If you think Holmes is bad for the team I advise you to go watch his 2010 highlights.When he is on his game he really is as good as it gets and he has a superbowl mvp trophy and a game winning catch to prove it.
    He was a problem ALL season. This has been reported numerous times.

2010? He got benched during the AFC Championship Game. He's a douche, plain and simple. And he's as good as it gets? Laughable.

Veteran
    It's unfortunate that keeping him meant losing Braylon.

Hall Of Fame
    Correction....a bad o line cost us the season
    There were plenty of reasons they imploded last season.

But there was a common theme throughout the entire season and that was Holmes acting like an assh0le. He called out the OLine in the media, he called out his QB in the media, he called out the coaching in the media, he started dogging it on the field, he skipped meetings, etc...

Holmes fractured the locker room. Ran his mouth airing private business to the most blood thirsty media vultures in the world and then had the gall to quit on the field of play. Sorry, that's not a leader. That's not a mentor. That's a piece of sh!t. And I'm not even bringing up his past behavior problems which got him kicked off the Steelers.

You guys need to separate the difference between someone giving coaching tips to rookies on how to run routes and someone that teaches and leads by example as to what it means to be a professional on and off the field. Holmes does the former and severely lacks in the latter. He's no leader and it caused a big sh!tstorm in the locker room the instant he was made captain. The players were taken back by it because he's not a captain or a leader. Rex tried to pull a motivating tactic and it backfired in his face to the point that he's removing ALL captains now. If you can't see why people hate his stupid face because of that, and that alone, then I don't know what to tell you. It's easy enough to hate him for his selfish, stupid, arrogant 1st down celebration he does despite us being down 3 scores to a hated rival... because it's the "Me Show" and the only person Santonio Holmes cares about is himself. He's not a teammate. He's a guy that is willing to give fellow WRs tips on how to run a route. That's it.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He was a problem ALL season. This has been reported numerous times.

2010? He got benched during the AFC Championship Game. He's a douche, plain and simple. And he's as good as it gets? Laughable.
    Dude he caught the game winniing catch in the damn super bowl he won 4 games for us in 2010. He gets it DONE. That is worth his risks.

Quote Originally Posted by JETSALLDAY24 View Post
    Dude he caught the game winniing catch in the damn super bowl he won 4 games for us in 2010. He gets it DONE. That is worth his risks.
    Umm, not sure why you would say that. Plenty of other receivers in history have won games for their teams and had game winning SB catches, or toe dragging catches.

If he can't get his **** together and change, then the Jets really need to look at getting rid of him when/if they can.