Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: NY Jetsí Santonio Holmes relishes role as mentor....

All Pro
    Dudes got serious issues .... I can't stand him ... Cant wait till we can dump him.

This year is gonna be "tone time" or we are in trouble!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Yeah I can. He cost us the season, was fighting with teammates over his petulance. I didn't see anyone else acting like that. Diva WR with no production to back up the ego. Making a catch in the Super Bowl doesn't qualify production. And Ben makes every WR he has look better than they are with his constant running around and throwing to broken routes.
    LOL

Yes, Holmes cost us our season.

Sanchez's 26 turnovers had nothing to do with it.

Veteran
    Tone should start setting the example by his actions. He can start by handing the ball to the ref instead of his stupid ball flipping garbage every time he catches the ball. It really looks bad, even more so when he does it when the team is losing. Makes him look even more like a diva and a me-first guy when he does that.

All Pro
    Holmes was not the only reason the jets played poorly, but he is the poster child for the season for good reason. Based on how the season unfolded, I don't think there is much doubt that he was one of the "gang or three" which Mason was a part of that complained to the papers about Sanchez and Schotty, And then went secretly to Rex. Mason was traded, Plax wasn't re-signed, Holmes was locked in due to his contract.

The guy is injured and not practicing, so he is using that time to talk shop with the younger players, while commendable, it would not even be mentioned but for the problems that he were associated with. I understand he is injured, but it is the very least he can do. This same story is written in every newspaper in every nfl city. The sage old vet mentoring the young-ins.

Holmes has to do a lot more to get back the respect of Mark and the rest of his teammates, and to this point in the off season, I have not heard much that he changed his approach. He is still in denial, Still talking to the media,
    Scheduled a USO trip (good for him) during the mini- camp, and then came back out of shape for camp and the proceeded to show up his position coach with the helmet crap.

While he was not the cause of the disappointing season, he was the only one to blame someone else.

All League
    I like what Mark stated at the end of the article... "hope its not just lip service"..good for Mark.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    I like what Mark stated at the end of the article... "hope its not just lip service"..good for Mark.
    I hope Mark takes his own advice.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Correction....a bad o line cost us the season
    additional correction: this is a team game! Sanchez holding the ball too long and locking on to a receiver; being indecisive and throwing inaccurately; making poor decisions all contributed to the OL looking even worse then it was. Throwing to opposings DEs hurt the team effort as well!

I expect this year to be the year Sanchez steps up to the next level. Great players BOOST the play of others on his team. Last year Sanchez collapsed in the final 3 games. That year is over! Time for a new season! GO JETS!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    additional correction: this is a team game! Sanchez holding the ball too long and locking on to a receiver; being indecisive and throwing inaccurately; making poor decisions all contributed to the OL looking even worse then it was. Throwing to opposings DEs hurt the team effort as well!

I expect this year to be the year Sanchez steps up to the next level. Great players BOOST the play of others on his team. Last year Sanchez collapsed in the final 3 games. That year is over! Time for a new season! GO JETS!
    + a gazillion

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    +1 LOL ... Mark isn't fooled by Tone's act.

Standing around and doling out advice to others is the easy part.

I'd be concerned too if I was the QB, as Holmes manages to avoid hard work and blow off valuable playing time.

All Pro
    Holmes is obviously a "love him or hate him" player. Saying he isn't a dynamic receiver who can make big plays is frankly idiotic. The guy has genuine talent and runs sharp routes, and he's tough. I get the scepticism after last year's mess, but I'm also willing to see if Holmes' new leaf is for real. If it is, he will contribute significantly to the Jets' success on offense. And if the reason for disliking someone is some minor antic after catching the ball, then 90% of the receivers in football would be dismissed from consideration. It comes with the territory.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Holmes is obviously a "love him or hate him" player. Saying he isn't a dynamic receiver who can make big plays is frankly idiotic. The guy has genuine talent and runs sharp routes, and he's tough. I get the scepticism after last year's mess, but I'm also willing to see if Holmes' new leaf is for real. If it is, he will contribute significantly to the Jets' success on offense. And if the reason for disliking someone is some minor antic after catching the ball, then 90% of the receivers in football would be dismissed from consideration. It comes with the territory.
    Love him or hate him is not how I would put it, more like hate him or tolerate him is more like it. Why you refer to him as tuff, I don't understand. To me he is no tougher than the average wr. He runs very good routes and is very aware of the zone and how to attack it. He also drops a lot of very catch able balls.

Your certainly right for pointing out that a lot of WRs give the 1st down sign, but i remember him doing it quite a bit when the jets were well behind. It just gives an impression to his teammates that as long as I get mine, everything is good.

Holmes biggest issue is going to be the perception of him as a malcontent. Every gesture will be taken in that context. Take the example of throwing the helmet, if that was Cotch, it would have been noted that he was mad at himself for something. But because Holmes has the rep of being a ****bird
    It will always be seen in the worse light. He is goig to have to quit being a ****bird for a year before his rep improves and any slack is given to him.

For him to expect to be treated any different after this off season is misplaced.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Holmes was not the only reason the jets played poorly, but he is the poster child for the season for good reason. Based on how the season unfolded, I don't think there is much doubt that he was one of the "gang or three" which Mason was a part of that complained to the papers about Sanchez and Schotty, And then went secretly to Rex. Mason was traded, Plax wasn't re-signed, Holmes was locked in due to his contract.

The guy is injured and not practicing, so he is using that time to talk shop with the younger players, while commendable, it would not even be mentioned but for the problems that he were associated with. I understand he is injured, but it is the very least he can do. This same story is written in every newspaper in every nfl city. The sage old vet mentoring the young-ins.

Holmes has to do a lot more to get back the respect of Mark and the rest of his teammates, and to this point in the off season, I have not heard much that he changed his approach. He is still in denial, Still talking to the media,
    Scheduled a USO trip (good for him) during the mini- camp, and then came back out of shape for camp and the proceeded to show up his position coach with the helmet crap.

While he was not the cause of the disappointing season, he was the only one to blame someone else.
    I owe you an apology. You are not a troll. You are genuinely here to talk football.

As far as Tone goes, I love the kid. Sure he goes off the handle, but so do I. He's a damn good talent and I think he's a major reason we jettisoned the Son of Marty this off-season. I'm looking forward to a big bounce back season from the offense this year.,

Hall Of Fame
    Malcontent, quitting underacheiver who is massively overrated. Paid like a true #1, acts as if he is a true #1 but plays like a #2. As soon as things get tough and he doesn't get the ball even though he can't break coverage he will beak off. The biggest screw up last off season was keeping that clown and letting Edwards walk.

Hall Of Fame
    Love Holmes, hate Holmes, mentor or no mentor, he MUST play like a #1 WR this year. There are no other options right now, he is getting paid a ton of money and its time he starts earning it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quitting on the team with 3 games left to play isn't costing us the season? We had Miami in the end, it would have gotten us to the playoffs. MIAMI!!! And that was the most egregious act of all because the dude got kicked out of the huddle by the worst player on the team in front of the entire country to see.

He quit. He fought with the entire team. He doesn't know how to shut his stupid mouth.

How anyone can root for the guy is beyond me. I want the Jets to win and I'm not going to root against my favorite team. But you better be damn sure I'm not gonna sit here and have smoke blown up my ass either. Holmes is a prick and I wish the Jets never traded for his stupid ass.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Correction....a bad o line cost us the season
    Well it's a good thing they've rectified that!

Jets FO is afflicted with shiny object syndrome. I hope 'Tone' can teach those young'uns how to be H.A.M.

Hall Of Fame
    We had Miami in the end, it would have gotten us to the playoffs.
    Actually, i recall us needing the Texans to win their last game to get us into the playoffs (can't remember why). They lost. So, even if we had won, we wouldn't have made it.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Quitting on the team with 3 games left to play isn't costing us the season? We had Miami in the end, it would have gotten us to the playoffs. MIAMI!!! And that was the most egregious act of all because the dude got kicked out of the huddle by the worst player on the team in front of the entire country to see.

He quit. He fought with the entire team. He doesn't know how to shut his stupid mouth.

How anyone can root for the guy is beyond me. I want the Jets to win and I'm not going to root against my favorite team. But you better be damn sure I'm not gonna sit here and have smoke blown up my ass either. Holmes is a prick and I wish the Jets never traded for his stupid ass.
    jets were out regardless if they won or not in the last game.

Why are we still talking about this?? Its over and done with....lets take no prisoners this season!!!! Our D can be special!!!! our O is a work in progress but I expect Mark to elevate the players around him this year!!!!