Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three simple answers to the three questions about the in inadequacies of the Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Seymour is more valuable than Mankins, But I think DeCastro is a lot closer to Mankins than Coples is to Seymour. The jets had a good D, they needed oline help a hell of a lot more. While you can argue that Coples may perform at a high level and plays a position of greater impact, his potential to bust, is also higher than Decastro.

As far as a taking the higher ranked player, I can see it if you have one player ranked/graded much higher than the other. Everybody's board is different but these two must have been close on most boards. If the players are close i rather have a team take the player at the greater position of need.

The jets addressed the long term need at wr in Hill for sure. But I think due to his background in the option type offense and only catching 50 balls in 3 years and running #9 routes, his effectiveness this year I think will be very limited. But I would have taken him there.
    The jets needed impact playmakers on both sides of the ball. They addressed that with the first two picks. An OG would have been a luxury pick for the jets

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    The jets needed impact playmakers on both sides of the ball. They addressed that with the first two picks. An OG would have been a luxury pick for the jets

... this is true ...

... if decastro had been a RT they would have worked it in ... G not so much ...

... trying to belittle QC's performance last week is foolish ... he destroyed everyone he faced ... and was the best defensive performer of the week ... can he do it again tonight? ... can he keep a good attitude throughout the year? will he go 100% all the time? ... these will have to be answered affirmatively ...

... QC was being projected as a top 5 pick if he'd come out after his junior year by most of the so-called "experts" ... the talent is definitely there ...

... agree with chirorob on hill ... 40 catches 600 yds 4 td's ... this is what i'm looking for ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    vollmer started because of injuries. the next season he barely cracked the starting line up. solder? light had a good season but was not the dominating player at his position. others played far better. with the patsies it's not so much about the absolute talent of the player but how they play in scarneccia's system. and don't forget that brady/welker/gronkowski/hernandez bail out that oline time and again.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Vollmer started as a rookie, Light made the probowl last year, was Solder supposed to beat him out?

What does Chad Johnson who is and was another troubled WR have to do with it? Meechem at 5 mill, Lloyd at 4 mill, Gaffney at 2mill, Manningham 3.5 mill are all guys who don't have issues and get paid pennies on the dollar compared to Holmes.

I never said Sanchez was not adequate, Rex and Tanny pursued Manning, signed Stanton, signed Tebow, traded Stanton after taking a 500,000 cap hit for doing so the same week that they signed him. They showed less faith in him than I did. I have always Sanchez can be effective but that he needs to be surrounded by top talent to do so. Search any post I have if you can find a contradictory post.

Tebow was brought it for publicity and Rex and Sparano are trying thier best to work him in to the offense.

Troll boy! ow- you hurt my feelings.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    vollmer started because of injuries. the next season he barely cracked the starting line up. solder? light had a good season but was not the dominating player at his position. others played far better. with the patsies it's not so much about the absolute talent of the player but how they play in scarneccia's system. and don't forget that brady/welker/gronkowski/hernandez bail out that oline time and again.
    Agreed. There's a reason the Pats stay on top every year, and its not cause they've been drafting well. They have a system that just works.

Ditto on the Coples love. Think he's gonna be good one. It's just a shame to see our LBs continue to get beat by TEs and RB's coming out of the backfield.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    Injuries to who? and Volmer played great his 2nd year. What were you watching? Light probably had the best year of his career last year. Were they other LTs better sure, but he was in the top 8 last year for sure.

How the hell do receivers bail out an o-line? Does Brady get rid of the ball fast, yeah, I give you that. But he was only sacked 32 times in over 600 attempts, and this is not a guy noted for his escapability.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    Agreed. There's a reason the Pats stay on top every year, and its not cause they've been drafting well. They have a system that just works.

Ditto on the Coples love. Think he's gonna be good one. It's just a shame to see our LBs continue to get beat by TEs and RB's coming out of the backfield.
    I think most people give the Pats organization too much credit. The reason they stay on top every year is because they have a HOF QB...

Poeple used to talk about the how great the Colts organization was too, but they lose manning and completely fall apart.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I think most people give the Pats organization too much credit. The reason they stay on top every year is because they have a HOF QB...

Poeple used to talk about the how great the Colts organization was too, but they lose manning and completely fall apart.
    Manning was obviously a huge part of the Colts' success, but the main reason that the bottom fell out completely when Manning went down (as opposed to, say, a 6-8 win season) was because of the recent incompetence of Bill Polian. Check out his drafts since 2005 or so -- among the NFL's worst year after year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Definitely not what I'm trying to say. All I'm saying is I don't think Mike T terminally ignored any one area.
    His mistakes are more subtle....

Giving Santonio the big money

Drafting Vlad

Not having a REAL back up in 2011 that could compete with Mark. Brunell never made Mark sweat.

Letting Cotch go....

Using a 5th on Terminator

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    His mistakes are more subtle....

Giving Santonio the big money

Drafting Vlad

Not having a REAL back up in 2011 that could compete with Mark. Brunell never made Mark sweat.

Letting Cotch go....

Using a 5th on Terminator
    Every GM makes mistakes. And to believe that the GM is the only one who makes the decisions to draft this player or that player, and to sign this player or that player is really naive.

If draft picks pan out in 2012, will people credit Tanny? Probably not. I haven't heard one time "wow, Demario Davis looks great. Good job drafting him, Tanny. Coples is a beast. Tanny, well done."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Every GM makes mistakes.

If draft picks pan out in 2012, will people credit Tanny? Probably not. I haven't heard one time "wow, Demario Davis looks great. Good job drafting him, Tanny. Coples is a beast. Tanny, well done."
    Agreed. Mistakes are Gholsten and many others. I simply believe we as a team are not as disciplined as we could be. the Vlad and Conner pick are my cites as we say in the tax business.