Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Wilson is doing better than you think!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Wilson is doing better than you think!!

I have heard how Kyle Wilson isn't doing this or that well here is an article that seems to point in another direction....

Enjoy

__________________________________________________ __________________
    http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports...4ovEqFNaTloz5I

Gang Green happy with Wilson’s play
    By TIM BONTEMPS

Last Updated: 6:06 AM, August 18, 2012

Posted: 1:05 AM, August 18, 2012

When you’re the third cornerback behind Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, there’s not a lot of spotlight to be had.

But Kyle Wilson has impressed in his third training camp, and Revis said he thinks the former first-round pick is ready to make a big leap entering his third season.

“I think he’s having the best camp he’s ever had,” Revis said. “I told him that the other day. I told him to just keep working and getting better, and he’s been doing that. He’s been outstanding out there, and you can see it. You can see the maturity in him out there.

“He’s stepped up a lot, and you can see it. He’s catching interceptions out here, he’s making checks, and he’s competing, and that’s good.”

This spring, defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman told Wilson that despite the presence of Revis, the league’s best corner, and Cromartie, widely considered the league’s most athletic, at the two starting spots, he wanted him to think as if he’s a starter, and compete like a player trying to earn a starting spot.

So far, Thurman has liked what he has seen.

“He’s taken the words and applied them,” Thurman said. “When you do that, as good as Revis and Cromartie are, you’ve got to also look at yourself and say, ‘Hey, I’ve got to maximize my ability,’ and I believe he’s on his way to doing that right now.

“Has he had a good camp? Yes, but it won’t mean anything if he doesn’t carry it into the season and play at the level he has right now.”

Because of the lockout last year — and the lost organized team activities and development time that went along with it for young players such as Wilson — he didn’t make the kind of jump the Jets would have liked from his rookie season to last season. But now, after a full offseason in the Jets program, Thurman said he thinks Wilson is ready to make that jump this season.

“There’s been some inconsistencies, and you expect that from a young guy, and usually you make a tremendous jump from Year 1 to Year 2,” Thurman said. “But the lockout held him back. Now, you can see the jump in him from Year 2 to Year 3 in his comfort level within the defense, and understanding of it.”

For Wilson, that comfort level has allowed him to come into camp able to focus on trying to make as many plays as he can.

“I just go out every day and do my job,” he said. “I take it day-by-day and try to get better. It doesn’t change my focus or anything, because anything can happen out there. I just know I am making plays for this team, being consistent and making the right plays.”

Now, Revis said he feels the Jets not only have one of the league’s elite tandems at corner with himself and Cromartie, but because of Wilson’s improvement, they have one of the best trios of corners in the NFL, as well.

“We feel Kyle can start here, or on any other team in the league at corner,” he said. “We have three number one cornerbacks on the team, so we’re very excited and I tip my hat off to Kyle, he’s been playing great.”

tbontemps@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz23tifmOhj

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just in time for Victor Cruz tonight.

“Has he had a good camp? Yes, but it won’t mean anything if he doesn’t carry it into the season and play at the level he has right now.”

Because of the lockout last year — and the lost organized team activities and development time that went along with it for young players such as Wilson — he didn’t make the kind of jump the Jets would have liked from his rookie season to last season. But now, after a full offseason in the Jets program, Thurman said he thinks Wilson is ready to make that jump this season.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-18-2012 at 07:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just in time for Victor Cruz tonight.

Oh hellz yeah! am thinking of getting a #20 jersey soon. Another of my favorite. Dont be surprise if cruz gets shutout down this evening.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston

Kyle Wilson

Another NYJ "ram him down yout throat" bust as only we can pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Westermann was a UDFA. Not a pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston

Kyle Wilson

Westerman was a high draft pick?

Wilson didn't play bad as a nickle last year. His first year was rough, but last year was better.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson should be ok, not everyone can be a star.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston

Kyle Wilson

And you wonder why you get rude remarks?

Only a fool would.
    What does Gholston have with Wilson?

And when did Westerman become a draft bust?

You know nothing about this team but troll away

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston

Kyle Wilson

Seriously...Everyone here knows you are a diehard pat fan chowd pretending to root for the Jets. You fool NOBODY

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And you wonder why you get rude remarks?

Only a fool would.
    What does Gholston have with Wilson?

And when did Westerman become a draft bust?

You know nothing about this team but troll away
    Too funny, in one of the other threads he was complaining about posters making nasty replies as a reason why he doesn't post as much anymore.

He should post even LESS!

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston

Kyle Wilson

Lol, as others have pointed out there is just too much pfail in here to seriously address.... Take a look at the last 10 picks of the first round in that draft and get back to me...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I've barely heard Wilson's name during TC but glad to hear he's having a strong camp. And I like how Revis is mentoring him, can't hurt to learn from the GOAT

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Too funny, in one of the other threads he was complaining about posters making nasty replies as a reason why he doesn't post as much anymore.

He should post even LESS!

_
    I saw that one and his countless other posts crying that he's mistreated.

He can't be bright if he needs to ask why.

He should post much less.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't let that doosh derail a good thread.

Wilson was solid last year, but he needs to continue improving because he has a thankless job being the "easy target" after Revis and Cro.

he also needs to ready to step in as a starter if (God forbid) one of those two gets hurt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope he plays lights out. All we have heard is about all the int's the d has had during camp. We will see how the play against more talented o's. we will see.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing that so many need the approval of a star player to believe what their eyes should have told them.Wilson had shown improvement as early as last season dispite the lockout. The fact that he got beat a few times should have been chalked up a few variables

* He was still learning his craft and didn't have the benefit of a training camp.

* He was the 3rd CB and was going to see more balls thrown his way that the Revis and Cro.

* Not having a stable position due to moving between the CB covering the outside Receiver and the CB covering the Slot receiver doesn't helpwhen u are as young as Wilson

Wilson isn't the only player who has shown improvement. All his Draft class has improved,and so has the freeagents the organization has added after that draft. Those players were never considered instant contributors,but developmental prospects who needed work. Well,the lockout didn't afford them that experience and it showed. The fact that even with that working against them some of those players were able to show improvement is a testament to the coaching they were able to receive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston

Kyle Wilson

LOL at Jamaal Westerman, a UDFA who did live up as hes shown hes a NFL player and didn't end up out of the league.

Thinking Kyle Wilson compares to Gholston is just dumb... Wilson showed promise last season in the nickel, which is harder to play than on the outside. We have a outstanding trio of CBs.

Its funny how some think Wilson is a bust just because hes not starting over Revis and Cromartie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    don't let that doosh derail a good thread.
    Didn't you see jetswin's thread--I mean, before he hit the sauce?

No calling a doosh a doosh.

_

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson is a tough, physical cornerback who is in the mold of Revis. He's the CB that Rex Ryan wished lined up on the other side of Revis, instead of Cromartie. Wilson can cover TEs, RBs, and WRs, and can play inside and outside.

Wilson has all the physical tools, and has shown he's tough as nails. His inability to pick up coverage schemes, slight hesitation, and lack of adjustment during the play is what is keeping him from becoming a good player in this league right now. The same can be said for many CBs.

We are spoiled at the CB position. Wilson would start on many teams in this league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not everyone steps in and is a star right away. If you remember, Wilson changed positions his rookie camp and game one because Revis held out and I think it set him back a bit. His rookie start was Sunday Night Football where the Ravens just attacked his side of the ball. I expect big things from Kyle Wilson this season......