Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: OL - What's management's logic?

  1. #1

    OL - What's management's logic?

    We all know that RT is a serious problem and could derail our season even before it starts. RT was a huge problem last year, and I'm sure Tanny/Rex know this.

    So, what's their plan? There has to be one, right?

    Maybe they think Sparano can turn Hunter around but that seems like a reach. Maybe they have their eye on a vet that may get cut. Maybe they'll trade for a serviceable RT??

    I'm afraid to even watch tonight. With the Giants pass rush and Hunter's ineptitude, Sanchez may get killed!!

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,799
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    We all know that RT is a serious problem and could derail our season even before it starts. RT was a huge problem last year, and I'm sure Tanny/Rex know this.

    So, what's their plan? There has to be one, right?

    Maybe they think Sparano can turn Hunter around but that seems like a reach. Maybe they have their eye on a vet that may get cut. Maybe they'll trade for a serviceable RT??

    I'm afraid to even watch tonight. With the Giants pass rush and Hunter's ineptitude, Sanchez may get killed!!
    Why does that seem like a reach? What do you know more about the issue then Sparano does? Please let us all in on the secret. Maybe Sparano, Rex and T all should be fired and someone with your expertise hired.. just sayin.....

    Hunter has played well in the past for us against good competition. BRICK played poorly last year too. In fact he allowed more sacks then Hunter! Please give us your opinion about that. Perhaps the whole OL was out of synch last year? I don't know and only time will tell. But I think the Hunter issue has been beaten to death here. If he shows Sparano & Rex that he can not do the job he will be gone or second string! I think they know what they are doing! Sanchez has to help out his OL a bit too by not holding the ball forever while he goes through his progressions. Then he has to fire it with accuracy and NOT lock on to a receiver. This is still a team game! Blaming ONE player does not work!

    I never want to see anyone injured on either team! They are part of the game though. To blame one player for another player getting hurt is a bit over the top IMO. It takes two to tango!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    We all know that RT is a serious problem and could derail our season even before it starts. RT was a huge problem last year, and I'm sure Tanny/Rex know this.

    So, what's their plan? There has to be one, right?

    Maybe they think Sparano can turn Hunter around but that seems like a reach. Maybe they have their eye on a vet that may get cut. Maybe they'll trade for a serviceable RT??

    I'm afraid to even watch tonight. With the Giants pass rush and Hunter's ineptitude, Sanchez may get killed!!
    It won't stop your worrying but....

    Mike Tannenbaum leaves Jets' options open at right tackle

    Updated: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 6:02 PM

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...s_jets_op.html

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,806
    The plan is for Sparano's pixie dust to work or to hope that someone cuts a lineman.

    We are basically a stray dog rummaging through other team's trash hoping to find a bone.

    FTR, I am more worried about Brick than Hunter. We know Hunter sucks. We just couldn't afford a replacement. If Brick continues his slide then we have worse issues than we think.

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,305
    ... hunter was terrible on way too many plays last season ...

    ... trying to lessen how bad he played at times by talking about brick just skirts the issue ... we certainly need to see the play at RT improve ...

    ... i agree with the posters who have stated sparano will give him much more help with te's & rb's than schotty did last season which will improve performance somewhat ...

    ... OL is a unit that does need to work together ... so i do agree with kentucky that all the stuff with mangold going out definitely hurt the unit as a whole ...

    ... don't remember the kid's name who filled in for hunter last week but i thought he played better than we've seen in the past from hunter (albeit with a very limited sample size) ... i'm very excited to see if he can continue average play (which would be a big step up) ... i'll do backflips if a step up is already on our roster ...

    ... let's see if sparano can scheme this season to lessen his responsibilies in pass protection ...

    ... i certainly think their eyes are still open for a training camp cut from another team ...

    ... their logic was to address the areas that they could ... the draft opened up for us to potentially grab great players in QC, Hill, & DD rounds 1-3 ... i'm pumped to see thee guys in action tonight & moving forward ...

    ... unfortunately in the salary-cap era you can't just stockpile the best talent at every position ... RT is certainly our biggest weakness ... let's see what happens tonight ...



    l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 08-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,138
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It won't stop your worrying but....

    Mike Tannenbaum leaves Jets' options open at right tackle

    Updated: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 6:02 PM

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...s_jets_op.html
    Yea, typical Tanny speak. I think they are seriously looking at Howard to be the starting RT this year. I really dont think any starting caliber RTs are going to be cut from any teams.

    As far as the WR situation, putting all your eggs in Jordan White's basket is a pretty risky proposition. I hope they are not going into this season with the current crop of WRs on this roster.

  7. #7
    Tannenbum is going to be canned after this season after 2012 turns into another disaster

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yea, typical Tanny speak. I think they are seriously looking at Howard to be the starting RT this year. I really dont think any starting caliber RTs are going to be cut from any teams.

    As far as the WR situation, putting all your eggs in Jordan White's basket is a pretty risky proposition. I hope they are not going into this season with the current crop of WRs on this roster.
    I think they are at least hoping Howard can challenge Hunter for the RT spot. But he seems more comfortable at LT, at least for now..

    I think people need to give Hunter a chance...Yes, he was bad last year but so was most of the OL..

    Hunter also did alot of offseason work and improved his lateral movement.

    One possibility to consider is signing an unsigned vet after week 1 so his salary isn't guaranteed for the full season..Not sure who fits that criteria other than Kareem McKenzie..But its an option


    For Hunter, a Mission to Disprove Naysayers

    By BEN SHPIGEL

    Published: July 30, 2012

    “I know it wasn’t easy for him, but he accepted it,” said Mike Cavanaugh, Hunter’s position coach at the University of Hawaii. “Wayne thinks — like I do — that his best football is still ahead of him.”

    Hunter, 31, approached this off-season with the zeal and focus that he revealed at Radford, when he took the SAT one Saturday morning instead of attending a football function. He analyzed videotape of all his games.

    His self-evaluation led him to conclude that he needed to improve his lateral quickness, his change of direction, his reaction time. So he called a friend, Kenny Patton, a former teammate at Hawaii who now works as a personal trainer.

    “One of the first things he said was ‘I’m real hungry,’ ” Patton said. “He wanted to become a better athlete.”

    Over 12 intense sessions, held in broiling heat and stifling humidity, Patton tailored workouts specific to the demands of an N.F.L. offensive lineman: quick bursts, up-tempo hurdle drills, plyometrics. Hunter sweated through three or four T-shirts every workout.

    By the end, his agility had improved, Patton said. So had his conditioning.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/31/sp...pagewanted=all

  9. #9
    The answer is there is no easy answer. In the off season a LOT of people said signing Bell was the answer. How had never played RT! How is that working out for Philly BTW? Then is was lets draft a RT and not one team jumped on anyone from that poor OL class. Tell me again how good is Glenn doing in Buff right now? It takes years to groom an OL and once teams have a good one they simply do not give them up.

    We laugh at Hunter but he is not the worst RT in the league. Howard has shown some promise and if Dennis Landolt can say healthy maybe we have something there as well. Good starting OL just aren't easy to come by. We invested in Vlad and he just didn't have it. How many years did Slauson sit the bench before turning into a starter? Same with Moore or even most of the starter in the league. You very rarely see a good OL built overnight. We got lucky a few years back and stumbled onto 2 pro bowl FAs and a very good draft. That is not the normal way of building a line however. Our line right now is still stronger then most of the lines in the league. They just get a lot of blame because the O hasn't produced in a long time.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Why does that seem like a reach? What do you know more about the issue then Sparano does? Please let us all in on the secret. Maybe Sparano, Rex and T all should be fired and someone with your expertise hired.. just sayin.....
    Is this type of response necessary?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Is this type of response necessary?
    always, they have nothing good to say so they get nasty right away, tis' why I hardly ever post anything here anymore.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Is this type of response necessary?
    Agreed. The old "dont you think the coach and GM know more than you" line is comical. By that logic no coach or GM ever made a mistake or wrong personnel move.

  13. #13
    It wasn't until Steve Hutchinson went to the vikings and got that huge contract that people started treating offensive lineman as a priority position. So many teams used to use late round picks on offensive lineman with the exception of the left tackle position. It's not surprising that some GMs or coaches still think they can find offensive lineman without using a premium pick or signing someone to a big money deal.

    I'm not saying it's right but i think that mentality still exists among some current NFL GMs and coaches. It doesn't help that Tannenbaum also made a large mistake with Vlad Ducasse and also with resigning Wayne Hunter to a fairly big deal. The money those 2 are making is probably preventing the Jets from taking another tackle high in the draft or signing a big free agent. They may be financially hamstrung into trying to find a player in the late rounds or looking for a stop gap veteran.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    always, they have nothing good to say so they get nasty right away, tis' why I hardly ever post anything here anymore.
    Oh, the ironing. Maybe you should post less?


    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    You are all nuts you know that? This is the perfect team that will not only go 19-0 and with the SB, but will blow out all of their opponents by more than 3TDs in every game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Jamaal Westerman
    Vernon Gholston


    Kyle Wilson

    Another NYJ "ram him down yout throat" bust as only we can pick.
    _

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Is this type of response necessary?
    No it isn't and people are so quick to forget Adrian Clarke. Well I'm not quick to forget so questioning the Jets FO doesn't make you bad person.

  16. #16
    I know many people don't agree but my interpretation as to why the front office didn't do much to fix the OL is because they don't believe it's an area that needs a massive overhaul, just some small tweaks.

    after all, we've seen the Brick-Slauson-Mangold-Moore-Hunter play at a high level before (or at least MUCH better than last year) at the end of the 2010 season and throughout the playoffs. management might think that 2011 was just a down year for the unit as a whole due to persistent injuries (to both starters and backups) and new roles.

    there's also the very simple reality that you can't fix every problem every offseason. we've been (thankfully) spoiled by a front office that is willing to open up the checkbooks and spend big money on the team, but that has its limitations, too. we already have two very expensive OL in Brick and Mangold while Moore and Hunter make pretty good money, it's tough to justify spending a lot of new cash on the position. that's why I think we avoided the big name FAs and top draft picks, and tried to find a cheap solution like the Otah trade.

    where we are much better than last year is depth, IMO. last year before the season even started we lost our top two backups -- Hunter became a starter and Turner broke his leg. that left a huge void and we paid for it when Mangold got hurt. this year we have Vlad who finally looks ready to contribute and other guys like Howard and Schlauderaff stepping up their play. we also have Slauson who can play multiple positions, so we should be in better shape if someone goes down or we could even try to make switch based on performance (give Howard a shot if Hunter continues to suck).

    again, this is just my interpretation of why the front office wasn't more aggressive in fixing the OL. it's not meant to defend or justify their actions, I just think this is why they did what they did (or didn't do). I do believe that the OL is much better than what they showed last year and that we have much better depth now. that being said I was really excited about the Otah trade because I don't feel comfortable with Hunter as our main RT option, and I'm still hoping for a late veteran FA pickup for insurance.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I know many people don't agree but my interpretation as to why the front office didn't do much to fix the OL is because they don't believe it's an area that needs a massive overhaul, just some small tweaks.

    after all, we've seen the Brick-Slauson-Mangold-Moore-Hunter play at a high level before (or at least MUCH better than last year) at the end of the 2010 season and throughout the playoffs. management might think that 2011 was just a down year for the unit as a whole due to persistent injuries (to both starters and backups) and new roles.

    there's also the very simple reality that you can't fix every problem every offseason. we've been (thankfully) spoiled by a front office that is willing to open up the checkbooks and spend big money on the team, but that has its limitations, too. we already have two very expensive OL in Brick and Mangold while Moore and Hunter make pretty good money, it's tough to justify spending a lot of new cash on the position. that's why I think we avoided the big name FAs and top draft picks, and tried to find a cheap solution like the Otah trade.

    where we are much better than last year is depth, IMO. last year before the season even started we lost our top two backups -- Hunter became a starter and Turner broke his leg. that left a huge void and we paid for it when Mangold got hurt. this year we have Vlad who finally looks ready to contribute and other guys like Howard and Schlauderaff stepping up their play. we also have Slauson who can play multiple positions, so we should be in better shape if someone goes down or we could even try to make switch based on performance (give Howard a shot if Hunter continues to suck).

    again, this is just my interpretation of why the front office wasn't more aggressive in fixing the OL. it's not meant to defend or justify their actions, I just think this is why they did what they did (or didn't do). I do believe that the OL is much better than what they showed last year and that we have much better depth now. that being said I was really excited about the Otah trade because I don't feel comfortable with Hunter as our main RT option, and I'm still hoping for a late veteran FA pickup for insurance.
    To quote you:



























































    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post


    _

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    To quote you:



    _
    Lolz.


    I typed that on my phone whilst taking a dump, so needless to say I was inspired.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,976
    In my opinion, management's logic is fairly straightforward.

    1) Health: Last season, the Jets offensive line was hit hard by injuries. Mangold, Slauson, Moore, and Turner were all affected to one degree or another. This season they are hoping that the unit will hold up better.

    2) Sparano: There is an explicit focus on various max protection schemes.

    3) Tebow: The Wildcat wrinkle will keep opposing defenses more off balance which could help alleviate some of the protection issues.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    We all know that RT is a serious problem and could derail our season even before it starts. RT was a huge problem last year, and I'm sure Tanny/Rex know this.

    So, what's their plan? There has to be one, right?

    Maybe they think Sparano can turn Hunter around but that seems like a reach. Maybe they have their eye on a vet that may get cut. Maybe they'll trade for a serviceable RT??

    I'm afraid to even watch tonight. With the Giants pass rush and Hunter's ineptitude, Sanchez may get killed!!

    +1

    the team publicly states that sanchez is the QB. sign him to an extension etc..but yet nothing was done that was conducive to have him bringing the team to the next level

    so instead of surrounding him with weapons and providing him a chance, we have questions marks...
    • injured WRs
    • a huge "?" at RT
    • mediocre RBs (that's being generous)


    credit to attempting to trade for Otah but what is our saving grace Tebow? a glorified RB?

    i am not saying none of this falls on Sanchez but he has shown what he can do when he has had time and good WR

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us