Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: Voter ID Law

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Voter ID Law

    Thoughts on this? Pennsylvania perhaps upholding a law that requires voters to show specific ID. This could be huge because a big state that would likely go to Obama could go to Romney now.

    I think it's an embarrassment and shady. I know you'll disagree with me.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Thoughts on this? Pennsylvania perhaps upholding a law that requires voters to show specific ID. This could be huge because a big state that would likely go to Obama could go to Romney now.

    I think it's an embarrassment and shady. I know you'll disagree with me.
    I think that people that suggest that black people and hispanics are too stupid or helpless to obtain a free ID card from the government are shady racists. Your thoughts?

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I think that people that suggest that black people and hispanics are too stupid or helpless to obtain a free ID card from the government are shady racists. Your thoughts?
    I lol'd

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to show ID at JetsStadium to buy beer, why not to vote?

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the principle of discouraging people to vote. People don't turnout in America to vote to begin with. So now we want to further limit the amount of people who can vote? How unAmerican. And you all know what this law is about at its core. Discouraging blacks and Hispanics from voting. Who does that favor? Romney of course. Racist with a capital R. Shady with a capital S. How deplorable that it's come to tactics like this.

    Apache, millions of people try to fake their age to buy alcohol illegally. Myself included as an 18 year old. Did you know that there have been only 10 instances (or something miniscule) of counterfeit/illegal voting since 2000? People don't care enough about a vote to try and fake it. So why in the living f*ck is this law necessary?
    Last edited by MCBNY; 08-18-2012 at 11:38 AM.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    It's the principle of discouraging people to vote. People don't turnout in America to vote to begin with. So now we want to further limit the amount of people who can vote? How unAmerican. And you all know what this law is about at its core. Discouraging blacks and Hispanics from voting. Who does that favor? Romney of course. Racist with a capital R. Shady with a capital S. How deplorable that it's come to tactics like this.

    Apache, millions of people try to fake their age to buy alcohol illegally. Myself included as an 18 year old. Did you know that there have been only 10 instances (or something miniscule) of counterfeit/illegal voting since 2000? People don't care enough about a vote to try and fake it. So why in the living f*ck is this law necessary?
    Why is it so difficult to show an ID to vote? How is this racist? Black people can't get an ID? Yes, illegals would have a harder time voting I guess, but then again, they are illegal.

    If someone is going to take the time to vote, do you really think pulling out an ID card is going to make them stop? And if someone is that lazy, then they are probably too lazy to have actually read what they are voting about in the first place.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    It's the principle of discouraging people to vote. People don't turnout in America to vote to begin with. So now we want to further limit the amount of people who can vote? How unAmerican. And you all know what this law is about at its core. Discouraging blacks and Hispanics from voting. Who does that favor? Romney of course. Racist with a capital R. Shady with a capital S. How deplorable that it's come to tactics like this.
    I agree with you that on a very fundamental level it is a form of disenfranchisement. However, it is justified and legitimate in my opinion to amplify the integrity of the system.

    It discourages poor people from voting. Why are you putting a race context into the argument? It is a flawed talking point.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    ANYBODY can get an ID. And FREE. Many places require an ID.
    My doctors know who I am BUT I have to produce photo ID everytime I go to a doctor, labs etc.
    It's just minorities and illegals fighting the system to fight the system.
    There is provable fraud out there. In voting as well as many other areas.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I agree with you that on a very fundamental level it is a form of disenfranchisement. However, it is justified and legitimate in my opinion to amplify the integrity of the system.

    It discourages poor people from voting. Why are you putting a race context into the argument? It is a flawed talking point.
    Who do you think is poor? Blacks and Hispanics are mostly poor. There are millions of poor whites too. Who do you think will vote (D)? Poor people.

    It's just a shady, shady move by the Republicans to try to win this election unnaturally.

    The point remains that this law was not NECESSARY. I'd like to hear why it was necessary considering voter fraud so rarely and infrequently happens. The negatives (lots of people now won't vote that probably would have) far outweigh the positives (maybe catching a fraud voter here and there. but no one cares enough about voting to actually have a counterfeit vote, thus making this law really not necessary).

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Thoughts on this? Pennsylvania perhaps upholding a law that requires voters to show specific ID. This could be huge because a big state that would likely go to Obama could go to Romney now.

    I think it's an embarrassment and shady. I know you'll disagree with me.
    Wouldn't have been as lol-tastic if the Gov didn't announce that the reason he made the law was to giftwrap the state to Romney and NOT stop voter fraud. Which there have been 0 cases of in PA.


    It's all good. A Romney presidency will cement the future for a viable 3rd party candidate. Romney will signal the death knell of the old Republican Party.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Who do you think is poor? Blacks and Hispanics are mostly poor. There are millions of poor whites too. Who do you think will vote (D)? Poor people.

    It's just a shady, shady move by the Republicans to try to win this election unnaturally.

    The point remains that this law was not NECESSARY. I'd like to hear why it was necessary considering voter fraud so rarely and infrequently happens. The negatives (lots of people now won't vote that probably would have) far outweigh the positives (maybe catching a fraud voter here and there. but no one cares enough about voting to actually have a counterfeit vote, thus making this law really not necessary).
    Fraud happens. Here in SC there have been a couple areas with more votes cast than there were registered voters. They happped to be in minority areas. Hmmm. And seems the local ministers were BUSING in people to vote. But, of course, it was too hard to bus them to get ID. Fraud. Organized and abetted by the good ministers. Imagine that.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://votesmart.org/elections/voter-registration/CT

    QUALIFICATIONS

    Age: At least 17 years old (must be age 18 by election day)

    Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen

    Residency: Must be a resident in a Connecticut town

    Felony Convictions: Have completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a felony

    ID Requirements: Connecticut driver's license or Social security number required to register

    Other Voter Registration Qualifications: If you move to a different town, you must fill out a new voter registration card
    Just checked in my own State. I guess I don't have a right to vote unless I'm a resident and register before the election. Hard to see how you can prove who you are and your residency without some kind of State ID. A SS card doesn't prove residency. My guess is States requiring and making ID available to the poor is a good thing. It will reduce fraud in the welfare system and benifit them greatly.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 08-18-2012 at 01:07 PM.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Who do you think is poor? Blacks and Hispanics are mostly poor. There are millions of poor whites too. Who do you think will vote (D)? Poor people.

    It's just a shady, shady move by the Republicans to try to win this election unnaturally.

    The point remains that this law was not NECESSARY. I'd like to hear why it was necessary considering voter fraud so rarely and infrequently happens. The negatives (lots of people now won't vote that probably would have) far outweigh the positives (maybe catching a fraud voter here and there. but no one cares enough about voting to actually have a counterfeit vote, thus making this law really not necessary).
    I care enough to vote hundreds of times if I could and would much prefer to vote in a State that's a toss up state then my own State where voting doesn't matter in the least.

    Apparently making voting easy isn't getting people to vote. Making it near impossible might actually make people do more then defend their right to vote it might make them actually vote.

    The fake outrage over this might motivate Democrats to actually register their constiuents and bus them to the polls while the Republicans send dollar bills to their constituents to motivate them to vote.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 08-18-2012 at 01:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know, it's not really that I have a problem, on a fundamental philosophical level, with the idea of voting ID requirements. All one has to do is acquire a photo ID - hell a learners permit would probably suffice. Sounds reasonable, right? Well no.

    The important question is "Why?". Why are voter ID laws popping up in a bunch of states? Has there been some rash of 'IN PERSON' voter fraud - i.e. someone shows up and commits voter fraud?

    No, there hasn't.

    This is just a cynical, political expedient move for the GOP wherein they can hide behind "well all you have to do is get a voter ID, jeez, it's so easy".

    This will suppress voter turnout and that favors the GOP (notice much of the states where it's happening too, Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania - all key swing states). When one observes that record numbers of minorities and young people voter turnout, the two groups who are least likely to have a photo ID, resulted in a Democratic president in 2008, it's obvious these laws are quite clearly aimed at making sure that doesn't happen this time around.

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...block-the-vote

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...-s-voting-laws
    Last edited by SafetyBlitz; 08-18-2012 at 03:53 PM.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voter ID laws are supported by 80% of americans. 65% of blacks support voter ID laws. The only ones opposed are the racist progressives that believe that their main constituancy of people living off the government teet are too stupid and inept to get a free ID card from the state.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    You know, it's not really that I have a problem, on a fundamental philosophical level, with the idea of voting ID requirements. All one has to do is acquire a photo ID - hell a learners permit would probably suffice. Sounds reasonable, right? Well no.

    The important question is "Why?". Why are voter ID laws popping up in a bunch of states? Has there been some rash of 'IN PERSON' voter fraud - i.e. someone shows up and commits voter fraud?

    No, there hasn't.

    This is just a cynical, political expedient move for the GOP wherein they can hide behind "well all you have to do is get a voter ID, jeez, it's so easy".

    This will suppress voter turnout and that favors the GOP (notice much of the states where it's happening too, Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania - all key swing states). When one observes record numbers of minorities and young people voter turnout, the two groups who are least likely to have a photo ID, resulted in a Democratic president in 2008, it's obvious these laws are quite clearly aimed at making sure that never happen this time around.

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...block-the-vote

    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...-s-voting-laws
    I could not have said it any better. I don't really have a problem with the idea of showing ID at a voting booth. It's just the MOTIVE and TIMING behind the law that is disgusting. Keep it up, scumbag Republicans. Romney, Corbett and all of em.
    Last edited by MCBNY; 08-18-2012 at 03:46 PM.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Voter ID laws are supported by 80% of americans. 65% of blacks support voter ID laws. The only ones opposed are the racist progressives that believe that their main constituancy of people living off the government teet are too stupid and inept to get a free ID card from the state.
    For a conservative, I find it funny that you want a pass a restriction without there being an actual problem.

    These laws are unnecessary.

    There is no in-person voter fraud problem in this country. How many cases of in-person voter fraud have there been in the past decade?

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Discouraging blacks and Hispanics from voting.
    That is your projection. I don't see specifically how this law would eff up anybody but a social reject. Blacks and Hispanics have as much access to a picture ID as anyone else in this country.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    It's the principle of discouraging people to vote.
    If you are discouraged from voting because you cannot legitimately prove you are who you claim you are, the obvious answer IMO is that you're NOT in fact who you claim you are.

    So now we want to further limit the amount of people who can vote? How unAmerican.
    Having to prove you are who you claim you are only limits the vote to those legally allowed to vote.

    I'm curious, why is registration ok (you will be turned away if not registered), but voter ID regs aren't?

    And you all know what this law is about at its core. Discouraging blacks and Hispanics from voting.
    Are you a racist?

    Do you truly believe that blacks and hispanics are less capable of obtaining an ID in today's day and age in America?

    Because to claim it disproprtionately affects these minorities, you must at the core believe them, as a sterotypical whole, to be less able to negotiate the task of going to Govt. Office, filling in form, and getting an ID.

    Did you know that there have been only 10 instances (or something miniscule) of counterfeit/illegal voting since 2000?
    Tell me, if checking ID is forbidden, how can you know there are "only ten cases" where someone voted for someone other than who they are?

    Seems somewhat obvious that not checking ID would mean verification on any broad scale that all votes cast were legitimate would be rather difficult.

    Have you ever been called up by the State after an election, for them to check you voted, where, and who you voted for, so they could "validate" that your vote was cast by you?

    No, me either. Because it doesn't happen.

    There are no cases, because there is no verification to create such cases.
    Last edited by Warfish; 08-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If you are discouraged from voting because you cannot legitimately prove you are who you claim you are, the obvious answer IMO is that you're NOT in fact who you claim you are.

    Having to prove you are who you claim you are only limits the vote to those legally allowed to vote.

    I'm curious, why is registration ok (you will be turned away if not registered), but voter ID regs aren't?

    Are you a racist?

    Do you truly believe that blacks and hispanics are less capable of obtaining an ID in today's day and age in America?

    Because to claim it disproprtionately affects these minorities, you must at the core believe them, as a sterotypical whole, to be less able to negotiate the task of going to Govt. Office, filling in form, and getting an ID.

    Tell me, if checking ID is forbidden, how can you know there are "only ten cases" where someone voted for someone other than who they are?

    Seems somewhat obvious that not checking ID would mean verification on any broad scale that all votes cast were legitimate would be rather difficult.

    Have you ever been called up by the State after an election, for them to check you voted, where, and who you voted for, so they could "validate" that your vote was cast by you?

    No, me either. Because it doesn't happen.

    There are no cases, because there is no verification to create such cases.
    This. ALL of this!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us