Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WR Depth help

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You do not know that Schilens or anyone else will get hurt! IMO its a ridivculous statement. Turner OLD and FAT? Obviously you have not wanted much JETS football! have a nice day!
    I called Turmer slow, not old. The fat comment was a tongue and cheek reference to the fact he is nearly big enough o be a TE.

For an nfl WR, he is well below average in the speed dept.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    It's not the greatest core but people need to chill. It sucks that Holmes and Kerley are hurt but there's no need to roll the dice and risk not having them ready for week 1. Kerley showed some nice promise last year and, with a deep threat(Hill), Holmes can do some damage in the middle. Turner will probably be #4 and hopefully Jordan White can show enough to stay in the mix. Throw in Keller and the Jets have enough respectable weapons to go to war with the season.

More than half the teams in the NFL can't boast much more than we have.

The biggest issue is more the OL than WR depth. Doesn't matter if we have Megatron and Andre Johnson lining up on opposite sides, they aren't going to get the ball if Sanchez has less than 3 seconds before pressure is in his face. Give him time, and our WRs will be fine.
    Agreed and when they do, maybe they will understand that our receivers are required to block! We are a Ground and Pound team! I differ a bit with you on sanchez having the time to throw and blaming the OL. He brings a lot of that upon himself by being slow to decide where to go with the ball; locking oon to a receiver; not throwing the ball away if nothing is there. This is a team game. Blaming one part for the lack of time in the passing game is wrong. I also feel that CONNER did not block well in the passing game and Keller sucks at blocking. Its not only on the OL. Its a team game! But I think our receivers are fine for our type of game. TURNER is a fine blocker and can catch! Hill can block and has tons of talent! Kerley is fine in the slot! Holmes is supremely talented! White can catch the ball. Look at his collegaite career! Pollard has opened some eyes in camp and ditto Riley! Lets see if they shine tonight!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I called Turmer slow, not old. The fat comment was a tongue and cheek reference to the fact he is nearly big enough o be a TE.

For an nfl WR, he is well below average in the speed dept.
    In a Ground and Pound attack he is what is needed. He is a very good blocker! His speed is adequate. I do not know what games you have watched but he does not seem as bad as you are trying to make him! Try playing TE in the NFL at 220 pounds and blocking the big guys! My bad! You did say slow and not old! In either case I think you are wrong!

Name: Patrick Turner
    College: Southern Cal Number: 1
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 223
    Position: WR Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2009
    40 Low: 4.54 40 Time: 4.65 40 High: 4.74
    Projected Round: 4-5 Stock: High: 3-4 Low: 6-7
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.

All League
    In a Ground and Pound attack he is what is needed. He is a very good blocker! His speed is adequate. I do not know what games you have watched but he does not seem as bad as you are trying to make him! Try playing TE in the NFL at 220 pounds and blocking the big guys! My bad! You did say slow and not old! In either case I think you are wrong!

Name: Patrick Turner
    College: Southern Cal Number: 1
    Height: 6-5 Weight: 223
    Position: WR Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2009
    40 Low: 4.54 40 Time: 4.65 40 High: 4.74
    Projected Round: 4-5 Stock: High: 3-4 Low: 6-7
    The Key to a ground and pound offense is FAST WR's!
    - If the defense cheats to cover the run, fast WR's punish them.
    - Alternatively, fast WR's keep the defense from cheating to cover the run.

slow WR's are like fat chicks, they aren't useless, but you are always looking for a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The entire list is stupid and pointless.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    The Key to a ground and pound offense is FAST WR's!
    - If the defense cheats to cover the run, fast WR's punish them.
    - Alternatively, fast WR's keep the defense from cheating to cover the run.

slow WR's are like fat chicks, they aren't useless, but you are always looking for a better option.
    Ever hear of HOLMES and HILL? I have heard they have pretty good speed! What say you? Err the key to a Ground and Pound attack is mired in several things not just speed! Speed is a a component but without blocking not much will help!! By the way Turner did run a 40 at 4.58 at his pro day at 225 pounds! Not too shabby I'd say!

The Dolphins answered a desire for a big wide receiver by drafting Southern Calís Patrick Turner with their third-round selection in the 74th NFL Draft on Sunday.
    Turner is a 6-foot-5 1/8, 225-pound wideout who had 138 catches for 1,752 yards and 17 touchdowns with the Trojans and comes out of a pro-style offense. He had 49 receptions for 741 yards and 10 TDs as a senior.
    Although he ran a pedestrian 4.63 40-yard dash, Turner turned heads at the USC Pro Day by catching everything that was thrown his way and he improved to a 4.58 40 at that workout.

All League
    Ever hear of HOLMES and HILL? I have heard they have pretty good speed! What say you? Err the key to a Ground and Pound attack is mired in several things not just speed! Speed is a a component but without blocking not much will help!! By the way Turner did run a 40 at 4.58 at his pro day at 225 pounds! Not too shabby I'd say!

The Dolphins answered a desire for a big wide receiver by drafting Southern Calís Patrick Turner with their third-round selection in the 74th NFL Draft on Sunday.
    Turner is a 6-foot-5 1/8, 225-pound wideout who had 138 catches for 1,752 yards and 17 touchdowns with the Trojans and comes out of a pro-style offense. He had 49 receptions for 741 yards and 10 TDs as a senior.
    Although he ran a pedestrian 4.63 40-yard dash, Turner turned heads at the USC Pro Day by catching everything that was thrown his way and he improved to a 4.58 40 at that workout.
    Holmes is fast enough and Hill has Enormous potential. Hill could be really great in a couple of years. Hill could become a strong #1 someday.

Turners stats in college are irrelevant. In three nfl seasons, he only has 10 catches. If he was a good nfl receiving threat, he would have forced himself Into the rotation by now.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets offense is a mess and WR and TE are front and center problems. Very much a below average squad.

Holmes is a # 2 WR on a good team.
    Hill is a rookie. While I am excited about his potential, WR's usually don't explode until yr 2.
    Kerley is an avg slot guy.

At TE, the f'ing Pats have 2 te's (maybe three) better than Keller.
    I am not a fan of Keller either! But he is pretty good when Sanchez throws him the ball but he sucks at blocking. We need a blocking TE and we may have one in Tarren Lloyd. Lets give them time to sort things out. We are neither as bad as you are trying to make them out to be nor we as good as several other teams. But the Raiders have a track team at receiver and don't win! It takes a TEAM! The Gi-Aints won a SB with Plaxico Burress, he is as slow as they come! Its called TEAM for a reason! For as bad as you are making out our team to be, if we would have won a game or two last year at the end, we would have gone to the playoffs. The Gi-Aints were a mediocre team until they got by us in DEC and got hot in the playoffs. Its a team game! They beat NE with those two GREAT TEs.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.

All League
    I am not a fan of Keller either! But he is pretty good when Sanchez throws him the ball but he sucks at blocking. We need a blocking TE and we may have one in Tarren Lloyd. Lets give them time to sort things out. We are neither as bad as you are trying to make them out to be nor we as good as several other teams. But the Raiders have a track team at receiver and don't win! It takes a TEAM! The Gi-Aints won a SB with Plaxico Burress, he is as slow as they come! Its called TEAM for a reason! For as bad as you are making out our team to be, if we would have won a game or two last year at the end, we would have gone to the playoffs. The Gi-Aints were a mediocre team until they got by us in DEC and got hot in the playoffs. Its a team game! They beat NE with those two GREAT TEs.
    1) I dont think the team sucks.
    2) I think the defense has the potential to be very good. If we could keep them off the field - dominant.
    3).i think Tanny has done a honorific job of stockpiling playmakers on offense. We don't have a pro bowler (likely) at any of the skill positions.

2) I think the defense has the potential to be very good. If we could keep them off the field - dominant.
    3).i think Tanny has done a honorific job of stockpiling playmakers on offense. We don't have a pro bowler (likely) at any of the skill positions.
    How is it only Tanny's fault?

Jets Insider VIP
    not sure I understand your point 3, dog

isn't "honorific" a good thing

Aren't Playmakers and Pro Bowlers different definitions?

Potential Playmakers:

Sanchez, Keller, Holmes, Hill (rookie), Greene (traded up with Bradway's and Clinkscales recommendations)....McKnight is TBD as a RB...Tebow
    So a QB, 2 WRs, TE, RB, Tebow (Special Niche Player) and McKnight is a STs playmaker...

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Potential Playmakers:

Sanchez, Keller, Holmes, Hill (rookie), Greene (traded up with Bradway's and Clinkscales recommendations)....McKnight is TBD as a RB...Tebow
    So a QB, 2 WRs, TE, RB, Tebow (Special Niche Player) and McKnight is a STs playmaker...
    I define a playmaker as someone that can get you 20+ yards on a given play, or someone that can take a nothing, 3-5 yard gainer, make his man miss and turn that into a 10+ yard gain for a first down.

A Pro Bowler at a skill position will do that with consistency. They also shouldn't have the peaks and valleys in overall production. You can have a playmaker catch 50 passes for 800 yards or run for 600-800 yards.

Holmes is a playmaker. Hill and McKnight are potential playmakers. Keller is a good, solid player.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    not sure I understand your point 3, dog

isn't "honorific" a good thing
    Autocorrect from horrific!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Potential Playmakers:

At the skill positions, regular playmakers are the guys who make the pro bowl. I think Hill could be a star, but the rest of the guys you listed are not great playmakers.

Holmes was once a good number 1 WR, now he is a below average #1 or a very good #2 on a good offense. Still has the speed for a great play, but not often enough anymore.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 08-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.

All League
    2 games into the preseason, the Jets "Playmakers" are really showing their stuff. 0 points per game. No time of possession.