Thread: Players likely to become available

Veteran

Players likely to become available

With roster cut-downs not far away, in the context of the Jets particular needs, what player are you excited about who might become available leading up to week one.

Previously mentioned by JI posters were Raiders rookie free-agent punter Marquette King and Jordan Shipley (who was cut but apparently because of his medical status has no takers to this point).

To me I'm interested in the Baltimore kicking competition. Is the loser of the Ravens kicking competition better than the winner of the Jets kicking competition ?

Here is a short blurb from the Baltimore Sun today

Billy Cundiff: 'This is really a competition with myself'

By Matt Vensel

9:23 a.m. EDT, August 18, 2012

On Friday night, Ravens kicker Billy Cundiff booted a field goal in a game at M&T Bank Stadium for the first time since his miss sealed the Ravens' fate in last year’s AFC championship game in Foxboro, Mass. There was a smattering of applause when he connected from 33 yards to give the Ravens a 3-0 lead in the first quarter of the 27-12 preseason loss to the Detroit Lions. He later added a 44-yarder.

Rookie kicker Justin Tucker, who is competing with Cundiff for a roster spot, made both of his attempts Friday. Tucker made a 50-yard field goal in the first half and a 45-yarder in the second.

Both have kicked well in training camp, but Tucker has been more accurate and showed off his big leg by making a 63-yard field goal at an open practice at M&T Bank Stadium two weeks ago."

Maybe its the cowboy connection, but Folk and Cundiff feel like the same kicker to me. Able but susceptible to mental mistakes. Not sure that's a definite upgrade.

We should be waiting for Jeff Otah to resurface

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    Maybe its the cowboy connection, but Folk and Cundiff feel like the same kicker to me. Able but susceptible to mental mistakes. Not sure that's a definite upgrade.

We should be waiting for Jeff Otah to resurface
    OL, definitely a priority over kicker, agreed ... Justin Tucker, if cut instead of Cundiff, to me would be a young upgrade over Folk. He was impressive last night.

How Hunter plays tonight may well factor into whether the Jets go looking amongst the roster cuts for help on the oline.

Oh I disagree my friend, they absolutely have to get some oline depth as well as WR help

Jets Insider VIP
    Have to agree with ASH. His Pats need OL help on O and massive help everyplace pn that woeful D.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Oh I disagree my friend, they absolutely have to get some oline depth as well as WR help
    Agreed, it's rational but listening to Sparano's pre-season post game conference, the Jets are almost indignant that their oline is not as bad as it appears. Whether they are bluffing as the scour the waiver wire in a few weeks ... remains to be seen.

With wide receiver, imo, the problem is that by the time they have some cast-off WR up to speed, Holmes and company will probably be ready to go anyway Who would get cut or put on IR if they sign another receiver in the next three weeks ?

The O Line is my biggest concern. After that, things can work out with who we have - because it's all going to fall on Sanchez's shoulders.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Agreed, it's rational but listening to Sparano's pre-season post game conference, the Jets are almost indignant that their oline is not as bad as it appears. Whether they are bluffing as the scour the waiver wire in a few weeks ... remains to be seen.

With wide receiver, imo, the problem is that by the time they have some cast-off WR up to speed, Holmes and company will probably be ready to go anyway Who would get cut or put on IR if they sign another receiver in the next three weeks ?
    Yeah while I dont think the Jets are completely ignorant to the fact the OLine needs help, I dont think they feel its as bad as some feel.

Other than Right Tackle what else could we realistically upgrade? We are obvious set at Center and LT despite Brick's down year and Mangold battling through injuries last season. Brandon Moore and Slauson are solid at the Guards, even Ducasse looks to show some improvement as well.

As for Right Tackle, the Jets obviously felt they could use some competition for Hunter at the very least by the trade for Otah that eventually fell through since he couldnt pass a physical. I still feel we will bring in someone to compete or replace Hunter, unless the young guy Howard keeps showing them something.

I can def see us picking up a TE and RB, though I have no idea who will shake out.

Blocking TE is a big need -- Fasano was a staple of Sparano's O and we don't have a traditional TE.

I can also see a vet RB pickup. Our depth is suspect and if Greene misses any time we are screwed.