Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phish

Jets Insider VIP

Phish

Saw my first show ever this week. Liked it. Any other phans here?

Great set list in Long Beach, killer show. Although I probably stuck out like a sore thumb in the stoner / hippie crowd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Naw.

Not into listening to the same D7m for 45 mins straight.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Jets Insider VIP
    I've been to 100+ shows, the first in 1994 and the last was last month. Before last month, I hadn't seen them since 2006ish. Fans now are kind of douchey. Witness... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQm1...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Jets Things; 08-18-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Yeah they're great. So what if they're not the band they were in the late 90's, they still deliver the goods. I see them whenever they come to the NY area.

Am listening to the Long Beach show now and am liking it a lot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Fans now are kind of douchey.
    WHen I was in HS, the Dead were huge, and Springsteen was really taking off but I refused to listen to either precisely because of the dooshays that wouldnt shut up about either of them.

Years later I finally could appreciate them after the personality stains of their original fans faded from my memory.

Now, I run from Jimmy Buffet fans.

Long Beach was #101 for me, the second set 25 minute Rock and Roll opener was one for the ages. Chris Koruda (their lighting guy) was on fire- and no I didnt take anything
    Don't worry about sticking out, Phish kids aren't/shouldn't be judgmental, it's all about having a good time.
    Btw Jets Things, just to point out, they were broken up in '06, but after their first hiatus their shows from '02-'04 were pretty brutal due to Treys drug abuse.
    I was onstage with the production crew for the Coventry festival and can honestly say that was the worst show of theirs that I've ever seen. Hopefully you can get more into Phish3.0 though, they really cleaned things up since they signed new contracts, cut back on touring and got a new tour manager/management firm. Couldn't be happier with the band these days.
    Also for those of us in and around the City, they got MSG locked down for the next 4 New Years Eves. I know what I'm doing

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Am listening to the Long Beach show now and am liking it a lot.
    The guys I went with told me I couldn't have gone to a better 1st show....and I agree. Downloaded the concert from livephish.com and listened to the whole thing again last night. It was phenomenal.

And Guy nailed it, the second set opener was a 25 minute jam through Rock and Roll, unreal way to start a set.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Long Beach was #101 for me, the second set 25 minute Rock and Roll opener was one for the ages. Chris Koruda (their lighting guy) was on fire- and no I didnt take anything
    Don't worry about sticking out, Phish kids aren't/shouldn't be judgmental, it's all about having a good time.
    Btw Jets Things, just to point out, they were broken up in '06, but after their first hiatus their shows from '02-'04 were pretty brutal due to Treys drug abuse.
    I was onstage with the production crew for the Coventry festival and can honestly say that was the worst show of theirs that I've ever seen. Hopefully you can get more into Phish3.0 though, they really cleaned things up since they signed new contracts, cut back on touring and got a new tour manager/management firm. Couldn't be happier with the band these days.
    Also for those of us in and around the City, they got MSG locked down for the next 4 New Years Eves. I know what I'm doing
    I prolly should have said I hadn't seen them since 2.0. That's what happens when you've been to that many shows.

I'm sure I'll get to MSG for their run this December, but with two kids and a non-fan wife, it's hard to justify more than one show.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I prolly should have said I hadn't seen them since 2.0. That's what happens when you've been to that many shows.

I'm sure I'll get to MSG for their run this December, but with two kids and a non-fan wife, it's hard to justify more than one show.
    that's my sitch as well, and I'm perfectly content with it, TBH. Seeing them once a run gets me my fill.

My buddies and I were conflicted last year as we got NYE on the mail order. Of the guys who were only going to see one show, we had to decide whether to trade NYE for one of the other shows. On one hand, all of our wives were like "Go see Phish on NYE....Going out on NYE sucks, its hard to find a babysitter, etc. etc." But, you know that after you go see Phish on NYE and you left your wife home to deal with the kids, you wouldn't hear the end of it for the next 15 years.

"Remember the time you went to that hippie freak show for NYE and left me home with the kids? Yeah, that was fun. Thanks for that."

Hahaa I hear you brother.... Things get mighty hazy when you get up in those numbers
    Currently trying to indoctrinate my girlfriend/future wife myself. I doubt she'll ever be a big fan, but after her first two shows (12/28 and 31/2011) she understands why it gets me, which is all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    "Remember the time you went to that hippie freak show for NYE and left me home with the kids? Yeah, that was fun. Thanks for that."

Btw here's a livephish.com ticket code for the Long Beach show download for whoever wants it, just lay claim so no one wastes their time if you want it, I walked away with two ticket stubs
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.

My first show was 99 4th of July. I concur of the shows after the first hiatus. I was at Coventry too. One of the most memorable moments in my life. The music was crap except for the DWD and that was the best glow stick war I ever saw. Didnt get to go to big Cyprus... Too young and and no money for that level of craziness. Was at Hampton forw the first shows back.. Sunday was the tickets we scored and it.was the best of the 3.

Went to another 4th of July show in Alpharetta. Killing In The Nam. Nuff said.

Great band when everyone isnt fkd up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Btw here's a livephish.com ticket code for the Long Beach show download for whoever wants it, just lay claim so no one wastes their time if you want it, I walked away with two ticket stubs
    Talking about Phish makes me feel old. I remember making the move to Maxell XL90 rather than any old cassette I could find and feeling like I was big time. I have a pretty substantial tape collection somewhere in parents house. Now you just put in a code online. Feels cheap - no effort involved

My first show was 11/21/92 (or so) at Stony Brook. May have been the first Big Ball Jam. I wound down by 99'. I think I took almost a 10 year hiatus until I saw them again in the past few years.

As many shows as we've been to (you guys have me by a bunch), its always the show that got away that you lament. My buddies still get on me for bailing on the Cumberland County show in 94' or 95' in order to study for a test that is fairly irrelevant at this point (and I'm sure I only pretended to study for). Just like I missed the first Unbroken Chain in Philly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    My first show was 99 4th of July. I concur of the shows after the first hiatus. I was at Coventry too. One of the most memorable moments in my life. The music was crap except for the DWD and that was the best glow stick war I ever saw. Didnt get to go to big Cyprus... Too young and and no money for that level of craziness. Was at Hampton forw the first shows back.. Sunday was the tickets we scored and it.was the best of the 3.

Went to another 4th of July show in Alpharetta. Killing In The Nam. Nuff said.

Great band when everyone isnt fkd up.
    I didn't touch a single drug yet walked out of that arena higher than a kite!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Talking about Phish makes me feel old. I remember making the move to Maxell XL90 rather than any old cassette I could find and feeling like I was big time. I have a pretty substantial tape collection somewhere in parents house. Now you just put in a code online. Feels cheap - no effort involved
    Agreed. I can't even remember how many Maxell tapes I had. I practically lived at Prime Cuts on Long Beach Road in Oceanside.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I didn't touch a single drug yet walked out of that arena higher than a kite!
    I meant everyone in the band.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I was at Coventry too.
    I remember thinking I was glad I didn't go to Coventry. It rained that whole damn summer, it was really bad that weekend. That was also the summer of the mosquito up here.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Now, I run from Jimmy Buffet fans.
    Don't get me started on those ass-kissing (middle managers/company stooges) who pretend to be party animals once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I remember thinking I was glad I didn't go to Coventry. It rained that whole damn summer, it was really bad that weekend. That was also the summer of the mosquito up here.
    Oh trust me, 40 hours of traffic and hanging in the oatmeal soup, as it was described, was quite torturous especially when you're 1400 miles from home.