Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Fire Tannenbaum

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Now this is the sanest post on this thread so far.

Mike T is a NY Jet lifer & with Bobby P stepping down it would be a natural succession, I just don't think NOW would be a good time to fire the GM seeing as how the season hasn't even started yet.

Oh how Jet fans love their God given right to scapegoat & Mike T is "it" right now. Carry on ladies, carry on. (-;
    Mike T is a NY Jet lifer: Wrong- Tannenbaum came with Parcells via Belichick, via Cleveland. Just details though, right?

Oh how Jet fans love their God given right to scapegoat & Mike T is "it" right now: What is the definition of the role of a General Manager?
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 08-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I went to school with Matt Millen and I know someone who knows him very well and has been friends with him since the PSU days and Matt Millen also ate and slept his job 24/7.

Need I say more?

I always find it odd that former great players don't make great managers. Millen was a Pro Bowler who won multiple Super Bowls. Who would know the game better than him ? But he was arguably the worst NFL manager in the modern era (and maybe the worst in all professional sports during that time).

It's rare when top players are even mediocre managers.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't like Cowher at all. I think Rex is a much better coach. Problem with Rex is that he is still learning how to be a HC and it is harder for him than most guys b.c he LOVES his defense.

The problem with changing GMs is that any GM worth having would want to bring in his own HC. But I think most fans who want to get rid of Tanny still want Rex as there coach and in there lies the dilemma. I do not think most GMs would want to handle Rex's personality.

But to answer your question I think Cowher wants autonomy on staff and personnel decisions. IMO he is not nearly good enough as a coach to warrant such concessions. I think the first time around he wanted to get rid of Tannenbaum and have his own guy come in. At least that was a rumor.
    If his "guy" was Kevin Colbert, it could've changed the direction of our team for our lifetime. You have to let me know because I doubt it was. Cowher had to work under Kevin Colbert, who was the first GM in Steelers history. They created the position probably because he hasnt had a SINGLE bust in 12 first round draft picks. I want to point out that we passed on Heath Miller by the way. So he not only chooses well, but he's patient and drafts value. Compare that to the way we do things.

Unless this year surprises everyone, it's worth noting that Bill Cowher was 43-21 in his first four regular seasons, or .6719. Rex is 28-20, or .583 in three. That's not even close. We've been through more coaches in a decade, than the Steelers have in their franchise history.

This article is about Kevin Colbert, and the difference between styles of management is striking. I can't think of a better argument to support the reason to seperate the coaching staff from the personnel decisions.

Colbert Named First General Manager in Steelers History
    by Neal Coolong on Aug 29, 2011 8:12 AM EDT in Steelers Front Office

Tweet 13 comments Email Print.
    Karl Walter - Getty Images.

View full size photo »
    For the first time ever, the Pittsburgh Steelers have a general manager, writes Ed Bouchette of the Post-Gazette.

There isn't a report on any salary bump, and the title is essentially the only difference from his previous one. Kevin Colbert has been the team's director of football operations since 2000. His predecessor, Tom Donahoe, held the same title, and no other front office manager has held the GM title.

It must be the first round picks.

Colbert has been in charge of the team's draft since 2000, and in that time, there have been essentially zero busts in 12 picks. Included in that are Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Lawrence Timmons, Rashard Mendenhall and Maurkice Pouncey.

Hampton (five), Polamalu (five), Roethlisberger, Miller and Pouncey (one each) have been named to Pro Bowl teams.

He's also had great success in picking up non-drafted players. OLB James Harrison was the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year. Former Steelers RB Willie Parker went to two Pro Bowls in 2006 and 2007 after Colbert and his office picked him up in 2003. Current free safety Ryan Clark was undrafted, and Colbert signed him in free agency in 2006.

Colbert had a hand in selecting the Steelers' third coach in franchise history. That selection, former Vikings defensive coordinator MIke Tomlin, has paid big dividends. Tomlin has a career regular season record of 43-21 - the exact same record as his predecessor, Bill Cowher, after his first four seasons. Tomlin is 6-2 in the post-season.

Colbert has presided over six division championships in both the AFC Central and AFC North, five AFC Championship Game appearances, three Super Bowl appearances and two world championships. The (Pittsburgh) North Catholic alumnus has set the stage for an excellent future as well, judging by the talent currently on the roster, and highly applauded contract extensions given to defensive cornerstones LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...eelers-history
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 08-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    BG, you make a compelling argument.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The difference between Colbert and Tanny is that Colbert hit on his QB with Big Ben....we're still waiting to see if our guy pans out

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    The difference between Colbert and Tanny is that Colbert hit on his QB with Big Ben....we're still waiting to see if our guy pans out
    There are a lot more differences than that.

Anybody bashing Cowher has forgotten what he did with the inferior talent handed to him by Tom Donahoe in the early-to-mid 90s. Cowher took them to the playoffs six years in a row on the back of some very mediocre drafts by Donohoe. Those drafts finally caught up with them from from 1998 to 2000, when Colbert arrived and they returned to being a perennial contender. I'm not sure how anyone could look at Rex' three years compared with Cowher's 15 - including a Super Bowl win and ten playoff appearances - and conclude that Rex is a better coach. Sure he had two good seasons out of the gate but let's wait a little while before placing him in the class of Cowher or Belichick.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    What kind of sacrifice would we have to make to Bill Cowher to get him down here? I know he had a lot of family issues four years ago but I don't know what's going on in his life now.

Cowher for coach, Polian at GM, Woody can sit up there just like the Maras and Tishes and drink mint juleps all year. Doesn't he see how easily he could change his legacy?
    Cowher, a coach that Jet fans would have screamed to fire 3x's before finally winning.

Now he's a savior around here.

Amazing it works here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Cowher, a coach that Jet fans would have screamed to fire 3x's before finally winning.

Amazing it works here.
    I agree that Cowher is overrated too and his conservative game management and system would probably turn off many in our fanbase. Grass is always greener until the guy is actually your team's coach.

Realistically though, the franchise hasn't been to a SB for 43 years. Fans are very impatient at this point. Any coach or GM that doesn't find immediate success here is going to feel a ton of heat.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTimeGiantFanFromLongAgo View Post
    Anybody bashing Cowher has forgotten what he did with the inferior talent handed to him by Tom Donahoe in the early-to-mid 90s. Cowher took them to the playoffs six years in a row on the back of some very mediocre drafts by Donohoe. Those drafts finally caught up with them from from 1998 to 2000, when Colbert arrived and they returned to being a perennial contender. I'm not sure how anyone could look at Rex' three years compared with Cowher's 15 - including a Super Bowl win and ten playoff appearances - and conclude that Rex is a better coach. Sure he had two good seasons out of the gate but let's wait a little while before placing him in the class of Cowher or Belichick.
    Well said, and with inferior talent he had a better winning percentage than Rex does now, with two AFCCG caliber teams. We have to go 15-1 this year for Rex to break even.

Tomlin is also 43-21 in his first four. Just shows that good management and ownership makes the difference.
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 08-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I agree that Cowher is overrated too and his conservative game management and system would probably turn off many in our fanbase. Grass is always greener until the guy is actually your team's coach.

Realistically though, the franchise hasn't been to a SB for 43 years. Fans are very impatient at this point. Any coach or GM that doesn't find immediate success here is going to feel a ton of heat.
    Rex has a conservative game plan..... only now that his/tanny's roster moves have blown up are we complaining so I respectfully disagree. I am not saying Cowher per se but a ground and pound approach that can punch us to 11 wins and a REAL chance at a SB will be applauded as rex has been.

Problem is he won 11 games once and is barely 500 the other 2 years and we appear to have mortgaged the future.

Banned

Amazing it works here.
    Absolutely. No way would he have lasted over here as long as he did in Pittsburgh. Not even close.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And thats a huge mistake.

All those who fans are envious of because they have wins on their resume, Cowher, Bellichick, Coughlin, Shanahan, Grueden, Parcells, etc, etc, needed time to win. Took more than 3 years.

Veteran

Amazing it works here.
    Your sarcasm is so useless, you are so wrong.

Cowher won the AFC Central 3 out of 4 times and was in the Superbowl in his 4th season. But we would've run him out of town?

Rex would need to go 15-1 this year to break even with Cowher's first four years as a head coach, and he still hasn't won the AFC East yet.

"In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowher

Anyway, the point of this is that we need a real GM, we need football people. I'm not going to digress further into Cowher- the GM axed the opportunity because Cowher would've brought real football people in, so basically, you can thank Tanny for that.

Jets Insider VIP

Amazing it works here.
    Based on what? If Cowher were hired in 2009 instead of Ryan, you would have your mouth wrapped around his unit as well. Who are you trying to kid?

Jets Insider VIP

You do know who his QB's were before Roethlisberger? Not to mention he had Jerome Bettis. The NFL was more run oriented at that point.

The head coach is not the big problem here folks. The issue is that you have an owner who is clueless and a GM who should be never be given the last word on evaluating draft picks and free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    The head coach is not the big problem here folks. The issue is that you have an owner who is clueless and a GM who should be never be given the last word on evaluating draft picks and free agents.
    the head coach is a big part of the problem. if rex cared about the offense, he'd have told tanny to draft more offensive players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    I agree but I would add that the head coach has forced the GM to skew the talent towards the defensive side of the ball. So, in that sense, the HC is a problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I agree but I would add that the head coach has forced the GM to skew the talent towards the defensive side of the ball. So, in that sense, the HC is a problem.

Counselor..is that opinion or fact. If fact....
    Link????