Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives and Negatives

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Positives and Negatives

Negatives

-Wayne Hunter, obviously. I'm sure anything I would say has been said a thousand times already tonight.

-Sanchez' inability to ever look beyond 10 yards to make a throw. I'm not saying that he has to throw the ball deep 10 times a game but you have to make the defense respect the deep ball. And I don't mean 15 yard passes, I'm talking about throwing a streak down the sideline to Hill. Even if you don't complete the pass it gives the defense something to think about.

-Sanchez holding on to the ball too long on a couple of plays, one that caused a sack

-One Sanchez throw out of the 11 he threw, I'm talking about the Int of course.

-Tebow holding on to the ball too long on a couple of plays as well

-Tebow under throwing a wide open Hill and then blaming him for not coming back to the ball soon enough. You were 30 yards away, make the damn throw!

-Tebow over throwing a RB in the flat then blaming it on the RB for not making the catch.

-Tebow yelling at one of the offensive players after a blown assignment that allowed a free rusher at him.

-I was very disappointed in his demeanor on the field and his propensity, tonight, of blaming other people for poorly thrown balls. I expect more from him.

-Tebow is not a good backup QB, 5/14 against the 2nd team isn't going to cut it.

-I won't kill the WR's b/c they are all very young and I don't expect much from them this early on in the pre-season.

-Keller has been non-existent so far.

-Tannenbaum and the Jets management really did a poor job in evaluating Hunter's talent. He was rated statistically as one of the worst RT's in the league last year and the excuse for bringing him back was, "we expect him to play better". Well I expect my 33 yr old 5'8" 260 lb big brother to play better then what we saw tonight. Game planning or no game planning he is losing 1:1 battles and getting tossed around while doing so. They failed Sanchez and this offense by allowing Hunter to return and not addressing this position in either the draft or free agency.

-Short yardage play calling on offense, Sparano called the same play, FB dive, twice on 4th down and both got stopped. One may have been 3rd down, I can't remember right now. Where is the creativity? And where is the Tebow read option/wild cat? If you're not going to use him in those situations then why the eff did you bring him here? It sure as hell wasn't for his throwing arm. And whats with all of the secretive bs with the wild cat/read option? If you execute a play correctly you should be able to tell the defense what play you are running and still gain yards. Like everything else they need to practice these packages.

-Where the eff has Aaron Maybin been on defense? 1st or 2nd team. He hasn't made one impactful play while on the defensive side of the ball yet.

-Our punting situation is a mess. I refuse to believe that you can't find a veteran punter who is out of work right now that can kick the ball 45 yards with decent hang time. This is not defendable.

Positives

Up until the Sanchez interception I was really happy about the way our offense was efficient in the passing game and opening holes for Greene.

-Run blocking was very solid.

-Sanchez was 9/10 before his pick and he looked very efficient and decisive. When he gets time to throw he is at least an above average QB if not better.

-Tebow on his first drive looked very solid throwing the ball, at least he attempts to throw the ball down the field.

-1st down play calling today was very good. I like the 6-7 yard passes in the middle of the field. Plays like that will give us more opportunities to sustain drives.

-Greene looked very good today and so did Powell.

-Hill and White made some nice catches with the 2nd team, I wish Sanchez would at least look for them.

-Cumberland finally made an impact in the passing game

-Except for Hunter, the rest of the offensive line played really well against one of the best front 4's in the league. Opened holes for Greene and did well against the rush.

-The defense looked really well and is the only reason that I still have some what of a positive outlook for this season. They knocked Eli around a few times and put a bunch of pressure on him causing an Int.

-Coples: 3 tackles, 1 tfl, 1 sack, 2 QB hits. He is a man amongst boys against the 2nd team and he needs to see more time with the first team.

I watched the Bills game last night and if you saw the way Fitzpatrick and the offense played and Mario Williams and the defense played against the Vikings you would realize that the Jets really aren't in the desperate position you think they are in.

In my opinion there are 2 things that need to happen: 1) Hunter needs to be replaced ASAP. He will kill the offense this year no matter who the QB is. And 2) We need a Punter that we can count on. You may not think punting is that important but it can change games just by field position, either positively or negatively as we saw tonight.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Positives: Coples and Ellis

Negatives: Everything else

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you did not mention that the receivers dropped quite a few passes from TT and Sanchez. Its ridiculous to give stats and draw up conclusions from them when you do not present the whole situation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Antonio Allen belongs in the positives also! I thought that Robert Griffin played better then last week. I thought that Schlauderaff did much better then last week as well.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    you did not mention that the receivers dropped quite a few passes from TT and Sanchez. Its ridiculous to give stats and draw up conclusions from them when you do not present the whole situation.
    They didn't drop any from Sanchez so I'm assuming that you're trying to make excuses for Tebow. Even if they dropped 3 passes while Tebow was the QB he's still 8-14 against the 2nd team. Is that much better? Honestly, throwing out the statistics you can't tell me that Tebow looked remotely like an NFL starting QB tonight and he was even playing against guys that won't make an NFL roster this year. Yet some of you guys think he will do better against a first team defense? I don't get it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Positive: Bart Scott ... Let's see it in regular season and Leron Landry is much better than Smith.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Positives was the ability to stop the run; pass defense sucked but with cro, revis, Wilson, Landry and bell this will def improve... I believe our def can be sick if the offense can sustain some drives so they are not on the field 75 percent of the game!!!

Negatives: well the first you don't have to be a rocket scientist it's wayne hunter! And the next the ability to sustain a drive and throw the ball down field!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Negatives

-Sanchez' inability to ever look beyond 10 yards to make a throw. I'm not saying that he has to throw the ball deep 10 times a game but you have to make the defense respect the deep ball. And I don't mean 15 yard passes, I'm talking about throwing a streak down the sideline to Hill. Even if you don't complete the pass it gives the defense something to think about.
    Did we draft Mark Sanchez so he could play Chad Pennington football? WTF is the long ball? Where the hell are the plays that should be called designed to put Sanchez in the best position to do well? Play action, roll outs anyone?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's nice knowing that we've drafted the truth during the first round with Quinton Coples. Looks to be a potential sack machine, although I like to take preseason performance with a grain of salt. These games have never counted for a reason. They mean nothing when looking at the big picture. These preseason practices are nothing more than coaches getting ready for the regular season, taking a look at younger talents/prospects, players getting a feel for the speed of the game, shaking off some of the offseason rust etc, etc. Heading into the season our two main concerns surrounding Sanchez were/are his decision making (turnovers) along with his completion percentage (accuracy). He threw an INT inside the redzone, not a good read, but he's also gone 13/17 which has shown improved accuracy. But then again, I'll continue taking preseason with a grain of salt. Our coaching staff wouldn't show our hand during games that mean nothing. I'll begin to judge our team and/or player performance come September 9th against the Buffalo Bills. Until then, I'm just hoping for an injury free preseason with hope that we'll field our strongest team possible come week one.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

So the D playing really well against a high power Giant O means nothing.

Good to hear, just kind of log on and complain.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So the D playing really well against a high power Giant O means nothing.

Good to hear, just kind of log on and complain.
    Sorry, not going to get on my knees and suck this team off at every turn.

And I'm sorry that I'm not going to go down the list and evaluate every starter on defense.

Guys like Revis and Harris played like they normally play. No need to single them out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest positive of this game was the fact that we all now know with certainty that wane hunter is not an nfl football player. The guy is garbage and must be replaced. I agree with the op. Sanchez played well considering the pressure he was under.

On the defensive side watching this game im convinced we have a nasty d. Landry, bell and wilson all looked great. Revis and cro were themselves. We stuffed the run consistently. IMO our d is better then the giants d. Their D is predacated around pressure on the qb by the big guys up front. They get away with having an average secondary because they can pressure the qb. The Jets by contrast are just difficult to run on and difficult to pass on. It is a much more consistent way to play defense at a high level. Watching couples and wilks today also gave us some flashes of an interior pass rush.

I am convinced that if we go into the season with hunter at rt this season will be a disaster. If we can somehow rind a replacement we should be in good shape.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples is seriously fun to watch. The guy just has "it".

Also, that hit from Muaga on Carr. Big time impact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pros:
    Landry on Cruz. So hot right now.

Cons:

Everything

+

Where the hell was this uptempo offense???? Multiple times we ran the playclock down to zero, had to call ridiculous timeouts (including the one after the commercial break that reminded me of Schotty last year vs. the Chiefs calling a timeout before our first play from scrimmage)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to evaluate any other part of the offense when you're O-Line plays as poorly as ours does.

I don't understand why the FO won't bring in some real tackle depth. I refuse to believe that guys like Vernon Carey or Kareem McKenzie are worse than what Wayne Hunter has shown us. The guy is hot garbage.

That said I was pretty happy with the defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Antonio Allen belongs in the positives also! I thought that Robert Griffin played better then last week. I thought that Schlauderaff did much better then last week as well.
    they have too much guard depth and no tackle depth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    D-line looked good.Coples continues to look good

Landry looked good..crushed Cruz on the hit

The whole offense looks like crap.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this complaining about Hunter, yet nobody suggests giving Austin Howard a shot with the starters. Why?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Coples and his brands, Ellis, Kyle(for turning his head around, eliminating a potential penalty in the endzone) and our Safety play(Bell/Landry/Allen) did a good job...

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    They didn't drop any from Sanchez so I'm assuming that you're trying to make excuses for Tebow.
    I cant remember who it was maybe Hill on a slant route that dropped a pass from Sanchez... but no i agree putting tebow with the 1st team is taking a step back...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    All this complaining about Hunter, yet nobody suggests giving Austin Howard a shot with the starters. Why?
    Maybe because he did a bad job too... Nothing he showed last night said "I'm better"... mind you he allowed blindside sacks on tebow...
    Last edited by HoustonJET; 08-19-2012 at 10:21 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense:

I thought Coples and Ellis looked good up front again. Antonio Allen showed some impressive speed and Landry laid a monster hit on Cruz. A couple people on here mentioned Bart Scott playing a little faster and I think that's worth noting too. Overall, the run defense looks like it could be very stringent this season.

Offense:

The white nike uni's look pretty good IMO. The patented technology comes in really handy when our QB's are running for their lives.