Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives and Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    D-line looked good.Coples continues to look good

Landry looked good..crushed Cruz on the hit

The whole offense looks like crap.
    He'll get fined for that hit .... But I loved it too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    All this complaining about Hunter, yet nobody suggests giving Austin Howard a shot with the starters. Why?
    I have to believe the whole organization is desperately hoping he'll become serviceable. He's already gotten significant playing time in the preseason and I'd be willing to bet he'll get more time in the next two games after last night's depressing performance via WH.

I'll choose to look at the positives. The first team defense was great last night. The got to Eli and were good against the run for the most part. The line has been transformed from a few years ago. They have lots and lots of youth and they didn't even have Pouha last night. The other units can't keep putting the defense in bad positions though. McKnight can't hit the kicker and Sanchez needs to hit open receivers in stride. If not for those 2 mistakes, the defenses numbers look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Positives: Coples and Ellis

Negatives: Everything else
    I didn't watch the second half but I liked what I saw out of Landry. Int and a crushing hit on the Salsa King. Gone are the days of seeing diminutive, pigment-challenged safeties bouncing off of big WRs or TEs.

Question: Did Coples play much in the first half? I thought I saw 98 a few times but am not certain b/c if he was in there he didn't have any impact plays. Actually, I do recall him being pushed back in a short yardage situation that gave up the first down. Any other plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    you did not mention that the receivers dropped quite a few passes from TT and Sanchez. Its ridiculous to give stats and draw up conclusions from them when you do not present the whole situation.
    Right. I'm assuming INTs count as incompletions on the stat sheet also so the only other incompletion by Sanchez was pass that hit Turner in the hand while in stride if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone confirm this? I want to see Mark start to make his WRs accountable for mistakes like that.

MAIN POSITIVE: no injuries

MAIN NEGATIVE: if our offense can't stretch the field, we're in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Did we draft Mark Sanchez so he could play Chad Pennington football? WTF is the long ball? Where the hell are the plays that should be called designed to put Sanchez in the best position to do well? Play action, roll outs anyone?
    Are you trying to get him killed? We've all been saying that the pass protection hasn't been there and yet you want us to call pass plays that take longer to develop. We can only hope that the protection improves and that we'll take our shots at that point.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    MAIN POSITIVE: no injuries

MAIN NEGATIVE: if our offense can't stretch the field, we're in trouble
    We can barely muster up enough time to execute dump offs good luck with going down field.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    I'll choose to look at the positives. The first team defense was great last night. The got to Eli and were good against the run for the most part. The line has been transformed from a few years ago. They have lots and lots of youth and they didn't even have Pouha last night. The other units can't keep putting the defense in bad positions though. McKnight can't hit the kicker and Sanchez needs to hit open receivers in stride. If not for those 2 mistakes, the defenses numbers look even better.
    I agree with you except for the part about Sanchez hitting open receivers in stride, he did(I just dont remember who it was on that slant route that dropped the rock on a potential 1st down pass on 3rd and long)...

Bart Scott looked really active out there... and i havent seen anyone mention this yet but Devito was causing some problems out there last night, thats great!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    I agree with you except for the part about Sanchez hitting open receivers in stride, he did(I just dont remember who it was on that slant route that dropped the rock on a potential 1st down pass on 3rd and long)...

Bart Scott looked really active out there... and i havent seen anyone mention this yet but Devito was causing some problems out there last night, thats great!
    I believe it was turner that dropped that one.. Would of probably gain a good chuck of yards too the inside of the field was wide open.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Did we draft Mark Sanchez so he could play Chad Pennington football? WTF is the long ball? Where the hell are the plays that should be called designed to put Sanchez in the best position to do well? Play action, roll outs anyone?
    How hard is it to understand that we are not going to show the entire NFL our best plays in meaningless games?

What is the point of getting that 3rd and long in preseason when you know you will have to do that when the games actually count?

What is the point of showing our "homerun" plays so that if we are struggling against BUF or PIT and we are down a TD they now have an idea of what is coming.

It is the preseason, get over it. If this was game 4 I would completely agree with you but we have no idea how Sparano will call plays in the REAL season.

Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    Are you trying to get him killed? We've all been saying that the pass protection hasn't been there and yet you want us to call pass plays that take longer to develop. We can only hope that the protection improves and that we'll take our shots at that point.
    You need to pick up the pace there, buddy.

I would NEVER advocate calling plays designed to get our own QB killed. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

That would be why you FIX the OL and then maximize Sanchez's chances to do what he does best? I figured that was rather obvious.

Veteran
    Hunter is a liability.
    You know it.
    I know it.
    Everyone in the world knows it.

WHY aren't they rolling protection to his side of the field?
    Why isn't the back or TE chipping his guy?
    Hunter sucks, but so do many OT's in this league... they just get protected not exposed every freaking play!
    Why aren't they moving the pocket to give Sanchez more time and an easier read?

It's the simple sh!t that isn't being done that's so frustrating.

BTW- Why does Sanchez refuse to even look at Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    How hard is it to understand that we are not going to show the entire NFL our best plays in meaningless games?

What is the point of getting that 3rd and long in preseason when you know you will have to do that when the games actually count?

What is the point of showing our "homerun" plays so that if we are struggling against BUF or PIT and we are down a TD they now have an idea of what is coming.

It is the preseason, get over it. If this was game 4 I would completely agree with you but we have no idea how Sparano will call plays in the REAL season.
    How did you EVER come up with that? You really think that is what I was posting about?

The Jets have a complete compliment of plays just like every other NFL team. To use a couple of long plays isn't tipping your hand, it's called practicing your execution against real gamelike conditions. Which is exactly what the preseason is used for.

Executing an offense just about 100% different in philosophy during the preseason jst to take a radically different during the regular season doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

So are the other teams in the NFL tipping their hands and letting the competition know ALL of their plays when they took shots down the field in preseason games?

Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    I really hate this kind of argument. Is a 9 route so exotic that we don't want to show people it now so that we can surprise them with it later? Come on, that's BS. Are our plays (including the wildcat) so marginally effective that once we show them they'll stop working? Great, we're really going to fool Buffalo, but what about games 2 through 16? Or maybe we should play vanilla the whole regular season, and save the best plays for the playoffs?

Also, *both* sides are vanilla. If our vanilla pass blocking can't stop a vanilla pass rush, that's not a good sign. Yes, we'll probably be giving Hunter lots of help in real games. But the opponents are going to overload his side to take advantage of him. This might surprise some of you, but the other coaches make game plans too...

Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    BTW- Why does Sanchez refuse to even look at Hill?
    I also wonder this. How is Hill always open when Tebow is in, but never when Sanchez is? Was he even on the field? At least one play I think the only WR was Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I also wonder this. How is Hill always open when Tebow is in, but never when Sanchez is? Was he even on the field? At least one play I think the only WR was Turner.
    b/c sanchez played against the 1st stringers. hill completely burned the cb on the play tebow underthrew him. he didn't get that open when jpp was skipping around hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I don't understand why the FO won't bring in some real tackle depth. I refuse to believe that guys like Vernon Carey or Kareem McKenzie are worse than what Wayne Hunter has shown us. The guy is hot garbage.
    Not saying I don't agree with you, but didn't both Carey and McKenzie decide to retire?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Not saying I don't agree with you, but didn't both Carey and McKenzie decide to retire?
    Have they? If they have, I wasn't aware of it. There has to be someone out there that's serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    D-line looked good.Coples continues to look good

Landry looked good..crushed Cruz on the hit

The whole offense looks like crap.
    Anyone know why Coples isn't getting any looks against the first team? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see him playing against starters this game or even the last?