Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is going to be a LONG season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be a LONG season

Those 3rd and 1 runs today and 4th and 1 runs were more prideful calls than smart calls. This whole "ground and pound" thing is terrible when you don't open up the running game by taking shots downfield. I know its only pre season but the idea that we're going to be a power running team without a O line that is opening gaps, taking shots downfield to open up the running game and loosen the D, & having an RB to really be effective .... is scaring me. Our running game took 3-4 weeks to get going 2 years ago, it sucked last year, and we're just trying to enforce this identity again so Rex can get his clock management thing working. We don't have a Ray Rice or a RB unit with power runners and quick hole hitting guys. McKnight isn't proven, Greene isn't a featured back he's a change of pace guy, & Powell is less proven than McKnight.

I know we were missing all our receivers today but just off the eye test .... we're not physically dominating the way Rex & the staff expected, running as effective, or even taking shots downfield in a smart way to loosen up the D. Its only pre season so I won't even glance at the panic button but I'm already thinking I'm going to be looking for it sooner than I thought.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We haven't even hit the rebuilding stage yet and we are in cap hell.

It's going to be a long few years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we had an offense that resembled a "real" NFL offense our defense would be the best in the league. Our FO is slowly destroying this team by replacing talent with crap. We went from Braylon Edwards to Plaxico Burress to Chaz Shillens. Meanwhile NE has 6 NFL starting WR's not including their TE's.

We go from aquiring a pro-bowl talent for our line 3 years ago and then do nothing to upgrade it this offseason. ANY NFL team lives on their offensive line. Give either Manning brother our O-line and they would just like Sanchez. So damn sad considering our D is decent. Jets are going to be the 2011 Browns.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post

dude I disagree. We're a capable team. Maybe 1 or 2 teams in the whole league have a secondary better than us and our major competition are teams that attack thru the air. If our pass rush is there during the season we'll be straight and our defense can be a top 3 defense without a doubt but if the O isn't getting any first downs and etc they'll be worndown and battered by week 5 or 6. Remember we thought we were in a rebuilding stage when Rex FIRST got here and we got Sanchez and starting him. People would have settled for 8-8 and been excited. Things got moving quicker than we expected and you pull 1 or 2 moves and you're right there. If the O can just be like what San Fran had last year ... we can manage. I mean they got Frank Gore and a an all-world tightend ... but if we can manage like that we'll be okay. San Fran was 2 nonfumbled special teams plays from possibly being in the superbowl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Those 3rd and 1 runs today and 4th and 1 runs were more prideful calls than smart calls. This whole "ground and pound" thing is terrible when you don't open up the running game by taking shots downfield. I know its only pre season but the idea that we're going to be a power running team without a O line that is opening gaps, taking shots downfield to open up the running game and loosen the D, & having an RB to really be effective .... is scaring me. Our running game took 3-4 weeks to get going 2 years ago, it sucked last year, and we're just trying to enforce this identity again so Rex can get his clock management thing working. We don't have a Ray Rice or a RB unit with power runners and quick hole hitting guys. McKnight isn't proven, Greene isn't a featured back he's a change of pace guy, & Powell is less proven than McKnight.

I know we were missing all our receivers today but just off the eye test .... we're not physically dominating the way Rex & the staff expected, running as effective, or even taking shots downfield in a smart way to loosen up the D. Its only pre season so I won't even glance at the panic button but I'm already thinking I'm going to be looking for it sooner than I thought.
    In the regular season is Tebow running that 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post

This guy gets it

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMike View Post
    In the regular season is Tebow running that 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1???
    I don't know .... you'd have to think he'd get a few of those 3rd and short yardage situations.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I still see the Jets as the third best team in the afc east.
    It's still only pre-season!!!

Once the real games start-Things could go differently
    Jets D could keep them in games until their offense develops a pulse.

I'de temper expectations early in the season but you just need to be playing better at the end of the year to have a shot.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious to see what happens on opening day with our OL facing Buffalo's dominant DL. Sanchez will be running for his life.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

That Sanchez extension is really going to come back to haunt the Jets. I'd much rather the team sucks this year and then take a QB with a top 5 pick. But Sanchez is uncuttable for 2 years.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't think it was possible. But our offense actually looks worse than last year's. Absolutely nothing was done in the offseason to fix the obviously gaping gaps on offense. It's not just hunter although he is a big part of the problem. Sanchez not making any throws. No playmaker on offense.

No way we will be able to ground and pound with this inept O line. I think we will break the record for most three and outs in a season.

Oh and wait till Holmes comes back. Once we start piling up losses, watch him quit on this team.

I have absolutely no hope for this offense. How are we gonna improve? Is hunter going to suddenly start playing like a real nfl caliber OT? Is Sanchez going to start playing and making throws more than 10 freaking yards? Where is the help coming from?

We could blame last year's issues on the shortened preparation time. But this year, I have no reason to believe that we will turn this thing around...

We need a miracle from God... tebow??.. Yeah right...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    That Sanchez extension is really going to come back to haunt the Jets. I'd much rather the team sucks this year and then take a QB with a top 5 pick. But Sanchez is uncuttable for 2 years.

This is funny that i as a pats fan will be talking you guys off the ledge. You are no worse as a team than you were last year on offense. On Defense you should even be better.

You guys just drank too much kool-aid thinking that the oline switching from a ZBS to a on one one inline block scheme was going to be a smooth transition. Likewise a change in the offensive scheme, While you may not have like Schoty's playbook and game calling it was familiar and there was no big learning curve at training camp.

One thing I can fault the jets for is giving Tebow all these reps in practice. This has to stop this week! Sanchez needs the reps and the oline needs one type of qb to block for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    This is funny that i as a pats fan will be talking you guys off the ledge. You are no worse as a team than you were last year on offense. On Defense you should even be better.

You guys just drank too much kool-aid thinking that the oline switching from a ZBS to a on one one inline block scheme was going to be a smooth transition. Likewise a change in the offensive scheme, While you may not have like Schoty's playbook and game calling it was familiar and there was no big learning curve at training camp.

One thing I can fault the jets for is giving Tebow all these reps in practice. This has to stop this week! Sanchez needs the reps and the oline needs one type of qb to block for.
    Tebow has been working with the 2nd team almost exclusively, except for the Wildcat stuff that they spent a few days on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ground and pound, baby. rex is stuck in the 80's

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is a 5-11 team at best, we'll be starting "Let's Draft So and so ..." threads by Halloween

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    ground and pound, baby. rex is stuck in the 80's
    Jets will end up no better than 8 wins this season unless they upgrade the RT position. My mantra has and always will be, O Line is the most critical unit in football. Fundamentals of successful football haven't changed in the 45+ years I've been a fan.The next most important is QB, and you need 2 that are at least adequate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles wax NE on Monday...not going to worry about it.

It's only pre-season...the Jets defense looks solid and the offense is a work in progress.

I'm telling you, I don't start getting encouraged/discouraged until about 6 weeks into regular season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those runs to Connor won't happen in the regular season. Short yardage will be Tebow Time! C'Mon man, it's preseason... chill. Jets aren't showing any o the real playbook yet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG... If its going to be a long few years, do us all a favor and take your SOJ a$$ on a sabbatical so we don't have to see your sad sack garbage cluttering up every thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles wax NE on Monday...not going to worry about it.

It's only pre-season...the Jets defense looks solid and the offense is a work in progress.

I'm telling you, I don't start getting encouraged/discouraged until about 6 weeks into regular season.
    Wow... A rational thought on JI. You don't see many of these this preseason.
    Last edited by Gastineau99; 08-19-2012 at 08:41 AM.