Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're Doing This The Wrong Way, It's Too Late, Just Deal With It

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think going DE with our first draft choice was stupid given that's one of the strongest positions on the team (and we spent a 1st rounder there the year before). I have to think the choice was Rex's.

It would have been a lot smarter to take a RT in the first who would be starting right now.
    Both you and SAR are right on the money. Been saying this since the red flag went up for me last season. Rex Ryan is a fraud as head coach. Great defensive mind that cant let it go to grow as a better head coach. Had the same feelings on draft night, "If Rex is such a great defensive mind, why do we keep overloading the defense?" Even last night, has deplorable as the JETS looked, Rex found a way to pat himself on the back about the defense at half time and then in his post game presser leaving his starting QB out to dry. It is disgusting what the JETS have done to Sanchez' career. Its more the JETS organization's fault than lack of talent on Sanchez' part........
    Last edited by copernicus; 08-19-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Both you and SAR are right on the money. Been saying this since the red flag went up for me last season. Rex Ryan is a fraud as head coach. Great defensive mind that cant let it go to grow as a better head coach. Had the same feelings on draft night, "If Rex is such a great defensive mind, why do we keep overloading the defense?" Even last night, has deplorable as the JETS looked, Rex found a way to pat himself on the back about the defense at half time and then in his post game presser leaving his starting QB out to dry. It is disgusting what the JETS have done to Sanchez' career. Its more the JETS organization's fault than lack of talent on Sanchez' part........
    You're right, the Jets organization has likely ruined Mark Sanchez's career. (Not that I feel sorry for him, they've paid him enough to ruin his career if that's what they choose to do.)

But...more importantly, that underscores another problem with the Jets. The inconsistency between the philosophies of the coaching staff and the owner.

If Rex Ryan came in wanting to establish a dominant defense, and a ball-control offense - there was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to trade up and select a "franchise" QB with the #6 overall pick! NONE! We could have had any one of a number of journeyman QBs come in here and do what we've been asking Mark Sanchez to do. And there would have been no time wasted on trying to develop a rookie QB, let alone the financial resources tied up in Sanchez. We could have had an even better defense (or, God forbid, a competent OT) and had Kyle Orton or someone of that ilk in here making $8 million a year.

But, you have an owner who wants bells and whistles and "star power"; and a coaching staff that wants defense and "ground & pound". Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    You're right, the Jets organization has likely ruined Mark Sanchez's career. (Not that I feel sorry for him, they've paid him enough to ruin his career if that's what they choose to do.)

But...more importantly, that underscores another problem with the Jets. The inconsistency between the philosophies of the coaching staff and the owner.

If Rex Ryan came in wanting to establish a dominant defense, and a ball-control offense - there was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to trade up and select a "franchise" QB with the #6 overall pick! NONE! We could have had any one of a number of journeyman QBs come in here and do what we've been asking Mark Sanchez to do. And there would have been no time wasted on trying to develop a rookie QB, let alone the financial resources tied up in Sanchez. We could have had an even better defense (or, God forbid, a competent OT) and had Kyle Orton or someone of that ilk in here making $8 million a year.

But, you have an owner who wants bells and whistles and "star power"; and a coaching staff that wants defense and "ground & pound". Makes no sense.
    Spot on! .............

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post

This rookie has some smarts! This franchise started to go downhill with the signing of Favre. The philosophy of the owner changed from putting the best product on the field to making headlines and selling tickets. You are so correct about the drafting of Sanchez. We could have stayed in our position and drafted Freeman who our scouts really liked. Of course that would not have been the marquis pick. We needed to go Hollywood so we got the QB who had all of 16 college starts and we inserted him as our starter - the first time in the history of the NFL that a team had a winning record and then the next year started the season with a rookie qb.

What hurt the franchise significantly is that we got lucky those first 2 years and made everybody think we better then we were. Now we are paying the price for that.

Cope you are right on about Rex's ego hurting us also. I couldn't believe that Rex in his halftime tv interview said that the defense played lights out. What game was he watching? I saw Cruz roaming the field and catching passes at will. The only way he was stopped was when Kyle Wilson mugged him before the ball got to him in the endzone and the replacement refs missed the PI call.

We are doomed. I feel sorry for the STHers who pay good money to see this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    This rookie has some smarts! This franchise started to go downhill with the signing of Favre. The philosophy of the owner changed from putting the best product on the field to making headlines and selling tickets. You are so correct about the drafting of Sanchez. We could have stayed in our position and drafted Freeman who our scouts really liked. Of course that would not have been the marquis pick. We needed to go Hollywood so we got the QB who had all of 16 college starts and we inserted him as our starter - the first time in the history of the NFL that a team had a winning record and then the next year started the season with a rookie qb.

What hurt the franchise significantly is that we got lucky those first 2 years and made everybody think we better then we were. Now we are paying the price for that.

Cope you are right on about Rex's ego hurting us also. I couldn't believe that Rex in his halftime tv interview said that the defense played lights out. What game was he watching? I saw Cruz roaming the field and catching passes at will. The only way he was stopped was when Kyle Wilson mugged him before the ball got to him in the endzone and the replacement refs missed the PI call.

We are doomed. I feel sorry for the STHers who pay good money to see this team.
    Thank you for the response QJF. You are right on the money about favre, Woody, and the JETS.

Fast forward to last night and I was going INSANE listening to Rex' comments at half time about how HIS defense played "lights out." Then makes it worse in his post game presser where he continued to recite stats about rushing yards against! How does Rex Ryan not get this?? WE DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR DEFENSE REX!!! WE CARE ABOUT WINS!!! This HC has learned NOTHING from his experience from last season. What a let down. Rex Ryan has not improved at all. He continues to be a Defensive Co with the title of Head Coach...........

Veteran
    SAR is spot on once again and this man deserves his own show. I saw Rex Ryan for who he was wayyy back during what I like to call the "first year fluke." His style made little sense in a league where air superiority wins Superbowls. Of course, so did SAR and he has taken a lot of garbage about his stance on Ryan, but I can almost promise that this entire Rex Ryan era will end very, very ugly for the fans and the organization. If you take away the "first year fluke" and some very bad decisions by other teams in the playoffs, Rex Ryan would be on the coaching hot seat already.

I would love to hear SAR's take on when he thinks we will finally hit rock bottom and how long we are going to stay there. Personally, I think we are looking at three years here and even longer if Ryan is kept. This is not going away anytime soon and we're going to be heading toward 50 plus years without a championship until we get a realistic chance again.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    SAR is spot on once again and this man deserves his own show. I saw Rex Ryan for who he was wayyy back during what I like to call the "first year fluke." His style made little sense in a league where air superiority wins Superbowls. Of course, so did SAR and he has taken a lot of garbage about his stance on Ryan, but I can almost promise that this entire Rex Ryan era will end very, very ugly for the fans and the organization. If you take away the "first year fluke" and some very bad decisions by other teams in the playoffs, Rex Ryan would be on the coaching hot seat already.

I would love to hear SAR's take on when he thinks we will finally hit rock bottom and how long we are going to stay there. Personally, I think we are looking at three years here and even longer if Ryan is kept. This is not going away anytime soon and we're going to be heading toward 50 plus years without a championship until we get a realistic chance again.
    rock bottom is coming, on offense, at the beginning of the season.

All Pro
    SAR finally posts with some sense over hyperbolic drool. I agree with his "sentiment". I think we pchased a couple wrong dreams and miss a few shooting stars over the last few years whilst over-emphasizing D. Relying on ground and pound to save the day.

I think everyone's being a little quick to pull the trigger on a new O missing some guys, but there's no denying that the early returns suggests we're in trouble.

Big problems at WR and RT. Big fcking problems

Hall Of Fame
    SAR, forget Halloween. The homers might not be here for Columbus Day.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    SAR, forget Halloween. The homers might not be here for Columbus Day.
    Uh oh Debbie Downer NY has sounded the SOJF homer police alarm. You guys better watch out, he's going to be ready to say "told you so." What a thrill. You must really be looking forward to that moment.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Uh oh Debbie Downer NY has sounded the SOJF homer police alarm. You guys better watch out, he's going to be ready to say "told you so." What a thrill. You must really be looking forward to that moment.
    No, that would be too easy. But I will say that a lot of this stuff was first guessed by others as well as myself.

It might actually end up worse than I thought it would be.

Jets Insider VIP
    No, that would be too easy. But I will say that a lot of this stuff was first guessed by others as well as myself.

It might actually end up worse than I thought it would be.
    As a member of our JETS fan club said once...."Who we gonna beat"????

At this point, 6 wins looks about right.

I don't think Rex has quite evolved into being a head coach yet. He still thinks of himself as a top DC. All his top draft choices have been defense. He constantly talks defense to the press. And he even admits that he hasn't been involved that much in the offensive game planning.

Rex doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the bunch. He spouts his mouth off too often, often saying ridiculous things. He's an emotional, rah-rah guy who just wants his unit (the defense) to succeed. He's not the cool, intellectual head coach that can rationally assess the entire team and act accordingly. As such the players love him but he has slowly killed this team.

Lets look at the evidence: the team peaked in 2009 with the players Mangini chose. Since then every year has gotten worse:

2009 > 2010 > 2011 > (and likely) 2012

As Rex's influence on personnel and draft choices has increased, the team 's performance has decreased. And that's because Rex is just not a good head coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    As a member of our JETS fan club said once...."Who we gonna beat"????

At this point, 6 wins looks about right.
    I would be upset with that. Would rather win 2 games and get a high draft pick. IF we are going to suck, it pays to really suck.

I don't think Rex has quite evolved into being a head coach yet. He still thinks of himself as a top DC. All his top draft choices have been defense. He constantly talks defense to the press. And he even admits that he hasn't been involved that much in the offensive game planning.

Rex doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the bunch. He spouts his mouth off too often, often saying ridiculous things. He's an emotional, rah-rah guy who just wants his unit (the defense) to succeed. He's not the cool, intellectual head coach that can rationally assess the entire team and act accordingly. As such the players love him but he has slowly killed this team.

Lets look at the evidence: the team peaked in 2009 with the players Mangini chose. Since then every year has gotten worse:

As Rex's influence on personnel and draft choices has increased, the team 's performance has decreased. And that's because Rex is just not a good head coach.
    Your post is spot on Lageman. Been saying this for months around here only to be shut down by the blind homers who love Rex for the WWE style he brings.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    This rookie has some smarts! This franchise started to go downhill with the signing of Favre.
    I also gotta agree with this. As much as I know Rex Ryan is not a head coach, at least a good one, our Owner and Front Office have done nothing to plan long term and instead try to overpay flashy names for short term success. It all goes back to Favre. Forget about doing this how the Packers and Patriots do it, let's go sell some PSL's!

And this is going to be highly unpopular, but Eric Mangini was doing it right and our owner pushed him out because it wasn't enough instant success. Look at all of Mangini's players. They are and continue to be the backbone of this team. Then he got Favre pushed down his throat, Favre pretty much coached the team and did his own thing at that point and cost Eric his job.

Now we are stuck with Holmes, Scott, Pace, and have almost 20 million of our roster spent on cornerbacks. This is not going to be easy to pull out of.

Jets Insider VIP
    I would be upset with that. Would rather win 2 games and get a high draft pick. IF we are going to suck, it pays to really suck.

Nope....as JETS history shows, we will win a few and guarantee us a 7th pick ..no QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

All League

You do make some good points, but we definitely did not peak in 2009.....2010 was a much better season/team and in large part because of key players who were added to the team since the Rex era in Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes, LT, Jason Taylor, Sanchez, Greene, Bart Scott, Leonhard, Slauson.

We were a 9 win team, and probably would of been an 8 win team if Indy played their starters week 16 in 2009.......2010 we won 11 games and beat arguably the two greatest QBs of this generation on their own turf in the playoffs.

Yes, a good amount of our top contributors for the 2009 and 2010 teams were here prior to Rex, but cant deny 2010 team was better than 2009 and alot of key additions were added during that span as well.
    2010 >>>> 2009

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Your post is spot on Lageman. Been saying this for months around here only to be shut down by the blind homers who love Rex for the WWE style he brings.
    I love Rex and I want him to succeed. But even more important I want the Jets to succeed. And that requires something to change. Either Rex becomes a full Head Coach in every sense of the word (and not just a glorified Defensive Coordinator) or he needs to be let go. It's as simple as that.

I have a serious concern that this team might implode in 2012: A tough schedule - especially at the beginning of the season. A never ending QB controversy between Sanchez & Tebow (brought on by the front office). A fractured team with the good defense screaming at the lousy offense for so many 3 and outs. Loose cannons like Holmes & Bart Scott mouthing off. Lack of leadership (or even control) by the head coach. It could get really ugly.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 08-19-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    I also gotta agree with this. As much as I know Rex Ryan is not a head coach, at least a good one, our Owner and Front Office have done nothing to plan long term and instead try to overpay flashy names for short term success. It all goes back to Favre. Forget about doing this how the Packers and Patriots do it, let's go sell some PSL's!

And this is going to be highly unpopular, but Eric Mangini was doing it right and our owner pushed him out because it wasn't enough instant success. Look at all of Mangini's players. They are and continue to be the backbone of this team. Then he got Favre pushed down his throat, Favre pretty much coached the team and did his own thing at that point and cost Eric his job.

Now we are stuck with Holmes, Scott, Pace, and have almost 20 million of our roster spent on cornerbacks. This is not going to be easy to pull out of.
    Right and let's not forget that to sign Favre we released Pennington who went to a last place Miami team and with no talent around him at all and took them to the division title by beating us at home on the last game of the year.

What Woody says he understands but doesn't practice is that winning a division and having home playoff games would sell more tickets then back page splashes.