Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: We're Doing This The Wrong Way, It's Too Late, Just Deal With It

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    When you take a QB high in the draft the owner has a say that is what I mean by "organizational decision". Because that can have a drastic effect on the franchise. It changes the direction of the team. Sure Rex liked him, but even if he didn't we were still going to draft Sanchez.

Rex has too much control over the draft. We have used our highest picks on defensive players. The value of a first round pick is much higher than a fourth or fifth round pick. That is why your argument is flawed. Not every pick is equal, therefore we cannot just add up the total number of picks. The picks are weighted.
    If you want to argue weight of draft picks (rather than just round), I suspect you'll lose that too.

A top five pick, two mid second rounders, and the first pick in the third, compared with a mid first rounder, two low first rounders, and a low second.

Looks pretty balanced to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    If you want to argue weight of draft picks (rather than just round), I suspect you'll lose that too.

A top five pick, two mid second rounders, and the first pick in the third, compared with a mid first rounder, two low first rounders, and a low second.

Looks pretty balanced to me.
    Here's the last three drafts

round offense defense
    one 0 3
    two 2 0
    three 0 2
    four 2 0
    five 2 0
    six 2 1
    seven 3 1

Lots of developmental guys on offense in the late rounds while the impact players and immediate starters are all on defense.

Also note that one of those second round offensive players was Ducasse who hasn't left the bench.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Marks is afraid to let it go deep. Hill was open deep at least 2x when i was watching him one time mark checked down the other he took the sack. another time he looked his way (hill was getting contact/held up after 5 yds) and mark took a sack. hill was also wide open on that pass to white that was short on the 3rd down that tebow threw
    Sanchez hurt his shoulder worse than we think. Zero attemps past 10 yards, inaccurate, can't make the out throw. Has thrown way too many int's during practice. They are better off with McElroy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Here's the last three drafts

round offense defense
    one 0 3
    two 2 0
    three 0 2
    four 2 0
    five 2 0
    six 2 1
    seven 3 1

Lots of developmental guys on offense in the late rounds while the impact players and immediate starters are all on defense.

Also note that one of those second round offensive players was Ducasse who hasn't left the bench.
    no argument that in the past couple of years we've spent more high picks on D. Also no argument that Ducasse hasn't lived up to his draft spot. However, those are different arguments than were made originally.

Incidentally, the high picks used on O in 2009 SHOULD be in their prime today, and paying the biggest dividends right now (as opposed to rookies, who even when taken in the first round usually aren't difference makers right away).