Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Start Austin Howard

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Start Austin Howard

This is NOT a start Austin Howard thread. He was getting bullrushed and beat by the Giants scrubs. We are screwed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    wat

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    wat
    Everybody is going to keep saying "start Austin Howard" over the course of the next week. The majority of Jets fans have this complex where the unknown is always better than the proven inadequate. Hunter sucks but Howard won't be any better.

We have not developed talent and we whiffed BADLY on Vlad. We are in trouble.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vlad played very well yesterday from the guard position. He's just not a tackle.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hunter gave up 4 sacks, you think he's the answer?

There is quite a difference between getting bull-rushed and letting the QB get pummeled.

That being said, I am not very comfortable with either of them. The front office needs to bring in another veteran O-Lineman capable of starting. Make a trade, whatever, but they need to do something.

Standing PAT on the O-line will kill this season before it even gets started.

I can't believe this is 2 pre-seasons in a row that I am wishing for the same thing.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-19-2012 at 03:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alarm bells are deafening right now. Hunter has been a collossal disappointment

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our FO needs to make a trade, even if it's a mid-round pick for someone decent. There HAS to be backups on other teams who are better than Hunter. This guy should not even be in the NFL he's that bad. Sure, we could just give Howard a chance, but I don't even feel comfortable with having Hunter as a backup. One injury and it'll be Wayne's world again.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Our FO needs to make a trade, even if it's a mid-round pick for someone decent. There HAS to be backups on other teams who are better than Hunter. This guy should not even be in the NFL he's that bad. Sure, we could just give Howard a chance, but I don't even feel comfortable with having Hunter as a backup. One injury and it'll be Wayne's world again.
    Absolutely correct....Hunter HAS TO GO!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Can't just stand pay on this guy. They should have went after Winston, now they just need an average player, or even slightly below average, to replace Hunter. I have never seen a Tackle get consistently abused like Hunter has.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSouth View Post
    Everybody is going to keep saying "start Austin Howard" over the course of the next week. The majority of Jets fans have this complex where the unknown is always better than the proven inadequate. Hunter sucks but Howard won't be any better.

We have not developed talent and we whiffed BADLY on Vlad. We are in trouble.
    How do you know Howard won't be any better?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hunter has had a fair chance to improve. he hasn't. time too go! Howard needs to play with the ones before we push the panic button. If he fails as well, we must trade for a RT or pick one up somewhere! Next year we must draft OL talent. BRICK is not exactly imposing his will at LT either!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

I know he didn't play great last year either but it could be time to call Kareem Mckenzie. Not saying he's the answer but we need to do something before Sanchez gets killed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    I know he didn't play great last year either but it could be time to call Kareem Mckenzie. Not saying he's the answer but we need to do something before Sanchez gets killed.
    Sanchez adds to his own troubles. The guy still holds the ball too long and can not sense trouble when the pocket is collapsing! I refuse to blame only the OL. Conner is no TRICH. KILLER-KELLER is inadequate as a blocker! Cumberland is a joke! BUT a great QB is supposed to elevate the play of those around him. Our guy does not do that!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    What about Winston Hill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Sanchez adds to his own troubles. The guy still holds the ball too long and can not sense trouble when the pocket is collapsing! I refuse to blame only the OL. Conner is no TRICH. KILLER-KELLER is inadequate as a blocker! Cumberland is a joke! BUT a great QB is supposed to elevate the play of those around him. Our guy does not do that!
    It doesn't not matter how great your qb is if you hit the qb he will get rattled and they are hitting ours on regular basis. So if Brady and Manning can be rattled by hitting them what makes u think Sanchez who is not in the same league as them dudes won't struggle?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Sanchez adds to his own troubles. The guy still holds the ball too long and can not sense trouble when the pocket is collapsing! I refuse to blame only the OL.
    Did you not see Sanchez shuffle in the pocket a few times only for the line to collapse around him... The problem is not Sanchez or tebow(at the moment), its the right side of the OL 1st and 2nd team...

We all agree that Hunter is terrible, beyond that actually... it was hard to watch dude get beat at the line repeatedly... The one play that sticks out to me is that failed 4 & 1 play... Instead of shifting to the left to pick up the DE he shoots forward, completely missing his blocking assignment... I noticed after that play Shonn ran to the left side of the line the remainder of half... With that being said I don't think Howard is the answer either, because he was beat on a few plays as well and he protects tebow blindside... If you allow blindside sacks no telling what he will do on the 1st team OL facing better talent...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonJET View Post
    Did you not see Sanchez shuffle in the pocket a few times only for the line to collapse around him... The problem is not Sanchez or tebow(at the moment), its the right side of the OL 1st and 2nd team...

We all agree that Hunter is terrible, beyond that actually... it was hard to watch dude get beat at the line repeatedly... The one play that sticks out to me is that failed 4 & 1 play... Instead of shifting to the left to pick up the DE he shoots forward, completely missing his blocking assignment... I noticed after that play Shonn ran to the left side of the line the remainder of half... With that being said I don't think Howard is the answer either, because he was beat on a few plays as well and he protects tebow blindside... If you allow blindside sacks no telling what he will do on the 1st team OL facing better talent...
    at this point the jets should start whichever RT can be a factor in the running game, since pass blocking doesn't seem to be possible.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Austin Powers at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I would take Austin Powers at this point.
    I would take Tracy Austen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I would take Tracy Austen.
    i'd rather have steve austin. maybe the bionic man could block jpp.