Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Realistically, How Concerned Are You?

All League

Realistically, How Concerned Are You?

I have seen a variety of different takes on these first preseason games on here....I have seen everything from 'let's throw in the towel, this team will win 4-5 games' to 'this team has the making of a Super Bowl contender'. I am curious to see each person weigh in with their level of concern, maybe based on a scale of 1-10...1 being "Everything will be just fine" to 10 being "The sky is definitely falling" .

I think, personally, for me, I am around a 7 or an 8. I think that we have some REAL CONCERNS on offense...obviously at RT with Hunter, to RB depth, to dynamic WRs/WRs depth to shaky play at quarterback all around. I think there is definitely a cause for concern from what we have seen so far.

I want to hear from everyone with their take and their level of concern after week 2 of the preseason. I understand it is early, so if you feel the first two games mean absolutely nothing, then let's hear your reasoning.

SCALE OF 1-10, HOW CONCERNED ARE YOU?

After last night, a 9. Same crap as last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Im a homer, Ill go 6.5

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I have seen a variety of different takes on these first preseason games on here....I have seen everything from 'let's throw in the towel, this team will win 4-5 games' to 'this team has the making of a Super Bowl contender'. I am curious to see each person weigh in with their level of concern, maybe based on a scale of 1-10...1 being "Everything will be just fine" to 10 being "The sky is definitely falling" .

I think, personally, for me, I am around a 7 or an 8. I think that we have some REAL CONCERNS on offense...obviously at RT with Hunter, to RB depth, to dynamic WRs/WRs depth to shaky play at quarterback all around. I think there is definitely a cause for concern from what we have seen so far.

I want to hear from everyone with their take and their level of concern after week 2 of the preseason. I understand it is early, so if you feel the first two games mean absolutely nothing, then let's hear your reasoning.

Provided we replace Hunter with a metal folding chair or better yet a competent replacement like Austin Howard...2. If we stick with Hunter...12.

Veteran
    I'm a 6/7 on the scale of "concerned"

Yes it is the pre-season but I had forgotten how ugly it is to watch a ball control offense with a below average oline. Yes our wr's are out but if even if they were here as long as the oline play is this poor and Mark Sanchez holds onto the ball instead of throwing it away, it is an fugly game to watch.

If there are no running lanes we need a punter to deal with the 3 and outs.

Conley sucks but I am glad we blocked Weatherford's punt last night to keep Weatherford from gloating once again after the game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Provided we replace Hunter with a metal folding chair or better yet a competent replacement like Austin Howard...2. If we stick with Hunter...12.
    Honestly, how likely is it that we replace Wayne Hunter by week 1? I don't see ANY SENSE OF EMERGENCY from this coaching staff/front office to do something about this. The Otah debacle was worth a shot, but it didn't pan out, so now what the **** are we going to do? I hope they are on the phone as we speak trying to figure out a trade or figure out who will be cut. WE HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE TO REPLACE THIS GUY, how hard could it be???

Honestly, how likely is it that we replace Wayne Hunter by week 1? I don't see ANY SENSE OF EMERGENCY from this coaching staff/front office to do something about this. The Otah debacle was worth a shot, but it didn't pan out, so now what the **** are we going to do? I hope they are on the phone as we speak trying to figure out a trade or figure out who will be cut. WE HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE TO REPLACE THIS GUY, how hard could it be???
    With whom would you like them to replace him?

There's no one out there.

All Pro
    It could be harder than you think ... there isn't a lot out there. Arizona just lost Levi Brown, their starting LT, for the season, and the best option NFL.com had for a replacement was Chad Clifton.

All I'm clinging to now is that this is the first game Hunter has played in 2012, and he's been injured during camp ... but it's not helping my nerves much.

I dont think the Jets can overtake the Patsies this year and make a run for first place. What really scares me is the fact that even though we changed OC's our offense still has problems which means the problem lies either with the talent or HC. I am also starting to question whether Ryan is the HC we need as he just doesn't seem to understand offensive strategy

I think it's important to take a step back and remember that, objectively speaking, this is the remnant of a team that was built to sell PSL's and "win it all" in 2010 or 2011 (2009 was gravy thanks to the Colts and Bengals).

But, as Dan Snyder has learned the hard way over many years and as Woody and Tannenbaum have now hopefully learned, that's not the way it works in the NFL.

The Jets have now moved on to a not so clearly defined "Plan B."

There's a lot to be hopeful about here and a lot to be concerned about as well.

Championships are rarely won anymore without a championship QB, and that doesn't mean "a championship tag-team QB." So, it all comes down to whether Mark can become what he needs to become. If he can't, Tebow clearly isn't the answer as starter.

After all they gave up to get Sanchez and after the emotional investment in Ryan, "Plan C" would be butt-yugly to execute.

Put me down right in the middle, at 5.5, and get back to me in December.
    Last edited by NYCFan; 08-19-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Its a tale of two teams!

The defense looks solid. They did not allow the Giants offense to score a TD in the first half.

However the offense has yet to score a TD in eight quarters. However, we are installing a new offense, its been very vanilla in the preseason and we are playing without 2 starting receivers. So my advice is not to jump off abridge yet.

Preseason is also very miss-leading. The Jags are 2-0 and didn't the Browns destroy the Packers?

Rookie
    The thing is...we have an in-house alternative. I'm not saying Howard is an all-pro, but I'd be willing to bet he's better than hunter.

We are the Ravens during the Dilfer years ... I am starting to think Tebow might not be the worst option. I pray we find a RT that can play in the next couple weeks.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    First 2 Quarters was apples to apples. Held them to 6, O gave them 6. I hate throws out in the flat! No WR's 2 not playing, O line big concern. I knew they were not going to the SB this year so let's get a couple of OL and LB's and a running back that runs N/S or at least knows how to make a cut and see you in 2 years. We are young, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    First 2 Quarters was apples to apples. Held them to 6, O gave them 6. I hate throws out in the flat! No WR's 2 not playing, O line big concern. I knew they were not going to the SB this year so let's get a couple of OL and LB's and a running back that runs N/S or at least knows how to make a cut and see you in 2 years. We are young, people.
    a lot like last year's jets/giants game. so what's really changed, except that the jets didn't have any wrs and the giants didn't have nicks. how much better will the jets offense be with all their wrs, downfield plays and the wildcat, we don't know.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    It could be harder than you think ... there isn't a lot out there. Arizona just lost Levi Brown, their starting LT, for the season, and the best option NFL.com had for a replacement was Chad Clifton.
    (
    Just read about the Cards a bit more ... they are one of only two teams who haven't drafted an O lineman in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round for FIVE years. And now they're left with the possibility of D'Anthony Batiste, a guard who's played in 22 games in 7 years, starting at LT.

Reading that actually makes the Jets situation seem not so bad somehow.

I'd have to say around a 6. I have never forgotten the importance of the phrase, "it all starts up front". This is what I constantly get reminded of when I watch the Jets offense.

I'm really not concerned with Mark Sanchez or any of the other skill positions on offense, my problem is with the OL. The OL right now would get ANY QB killed. In fact, I must commend Mark Sanchez for not throwing the OL under the bus.

This is absolute madness. What would possess Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum to believe this is a winning formula having Wayne Hunter on the OL, I will never know.

If Rex and Mike keep this sh*t up, they will be personally responsible for bringing the entire team down.

The defense, on the other hand, looks great. They appear to be in midseason form. In fact, they appear to be better than what I've seen them look like in the past. I do believe they will be ranked higher than 5th overall this season. Probably the number 1 defense.

So it's hard for me to say this team would be any worse than say 7-9 to 8-8. I think more likely 9-7 or 8-8. In other words, a very middle of the road team that is clearly still attempting to build themselves up into a championship contending team.

It'sreseason. It doesn't count. There's experimentation. Everybody is not even there.
    I give them a 5. They will be second in the AFCE. Make the playoffs (barely). Weak schedule - 10-6.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    It was 2 quarters obviously the O is not a championship O, nor is the ST's. Just going on last nights 2 quarters, 1 on 1, how many points did Eli and his O get?

I'm at a 7.5

The defense I'm not worried about.They will be solid all year

I am very worried about the o-line.They look worse then last year

The lack of playmakers on offense is really scary.