Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown, checkdown

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown, checkdown

That was the extent to Sanchez's completions last night. In contrast, Tebow actually aired the ball out a bit (to the best of his ability), and utilized different routes and receivers who actually ran up to and beyond the first down line.

Why is that? I'm a big Sanchez supporter, but last night was worrying. Is he timid to throw any big routes? Is he not getting the same plays in his earpiece? He clearly has a better arm than Tebow but he looked like ****. It was very confusing to watch.

All Pro
    They were both doing what the OC told them to do?

Veteran
    That is sparanos offense, he likes the check down if you don't have your initial reads open. He's all about ball security. I'm sure he will reinforce the check down after that pick 6

Especially when when we know from 2009\2010 Sanchez can hit the long ball. I saw a couple of recievers wide open on plays where Sanchez went checkdown. Perplexing.

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    That is sparanos offense, he likes the check down if you don't have your initial reads open. He's all about ball security. I'm sure he will reinforce the check down after that pick 6
    what happens when check downs turn into pick 6's? That means we're in full Chad Pennington mode.

Tebow actually had time at first, the backup OL played great on his first series. Tebow under threw a wide open Hill, it took him a while to see Hill as well.

All League
    Just curious. Any count on how many times he actually did check down. I know it was a lot but I would like to know exactly. His longest completion was 12 yards, I believe

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Tebow actually had time at first, the backup OL played great on his first series. Tebow under threw a wide open Hill, it took him a while to see Hill as well.

Put that fella in Hunter's place FULL-TIME, please. I don't care if he's not much better. We need someone other than the human-turnstile.

Serious question: who were the starting receivers last night?

This isn't intended with sarcasm, I just didn't catch the game from the start and have no idea who our starting two were.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Serious question: who were the starting receivers last night?

This isn't intended with sarcasm, I just didn't catch the game from the start and have no idea who our starting two were.
    Hill and Turner.

check-down? I'm thinking his short receivers are his first reads and if they're covered he might check-up.

Then again, it's 3 steps and fire with this o-line. No time for reads.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    what happens when check downs turn into pick 6's? That means we're in full Chad Pennington mode.
    Exactly. Check down after check down after check down makes it so hard to move the ball down the field. You need to be able to pick up chunks at a time. I would think moving the ball down the field on 3 passes is less likely of a chance of a turnover than lets say 12 dinks and dunks.

Veteran

Arrow

Its hard to throw the ball downfield when the QB has no time to take a 5-7 step drop. They would have been playing to the Giants strength. Bad protection+top WRs not playing =short passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Hill and Turner.
    Hmmm Sanchez has got to develop a rapport with Hill then... He never even threw the ball his direction. It might have been a case of being able to get open against the 1s/D was focused on Hill being the only legit threat. But still he needs to get it to Hill like he did Edwards. This is of course ignoring the OL issues which were very real.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    Its hard to throw the ball downfield when the QB has no time to take a 5-7 step drop. They would have been playing to the Giants strength. Bad protection+top WRs not playing =short passing game.
    Your right. It's not just Sanchez, it the O Line. When all you can do is dink and dunk its a recipe for turnovers

rex and his check down offense and ground and pound, just another reason for a losing season and NO sb.

Banned
    What was telling to me was that Tebow opened up his first series with 4 wr's. Sanchez almost always had 2 TE's or 3 Wr's. I think they want to do what Tebow was doing with the 2nd team but with the lack of time that Sanchez was going to have to throw I think they decided to not keep exposing him to hits.

I actually don't mind a 7 yard check down on 1st down. Those kind of plays are what will help create long drives. Last year we would run a blast for 1 yd and then have 2nd or 3rd and long. If we can hit 3-4 pass plays over 15 yards down the field that's enough for the defense to respect the deeper plays and open more running lanes. But as it is in the case of every QB, you need time to throw those routes. Tebow was 4 for 5 when he had time to throw, when he started to get pressured he was 1 for 9. It makes Sanchez's 9 for 11 not seem so bad when you actually see how much pressure he was under. I'm in the camp that thought we moved the ball pretty well on offense, just made stupid mistakes. Penalties and that Int killed us. Prior to the pick I was very happy with how our offense performed in spite of Hunter being terrible. The Int left a bad taste in my mouth though. But you still can't ignore the positives. Last year Sanchez would have been 6 for 11 instead of 9 for 11.

As far as throwing it short a lot of the time people seem to forget that Montana was a 3 step drop and wing it QB. You can win with that type of offense as long as you have WR's who can get YAC and you make the defense at least respect the possibility that you will throw it deep sometimes.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hmmm Sanchez has got to develop a rapport with Hill then... He never even threw the ball his direction. It might have been a case of being able to get open against the 1s/D was focused on Hill being the only legit threat. But still he needs to get it to Hill like he did Edwards. This is of course ignoring the OL issues which were very real.
    Yep, it's hard to get a good read right now on the passing game right now. Can't tell for sure if Sanchez is being super conservative and not looking for the biggerbplays or if he's making the correct decision on the check downs because WRs aren't open and the line isn't giving him time. Nobody enjoys that many checks to the RB, but if that's all that is there, something is better than nothing. If he is missing opportunities down field that's another story, but it's hard to tell right now because of the amount of variables.

Yes the Online is weak but Sanchez's pocket presence is the worst in the NFl and he can't make quick decisions. He is the king of the checkdown

It's all about how Rex Ryan ruined Sanchez by starting him before he was ready. He made Sanchez so turnover conscious (with his color coded play scheme) in his first two years that Rex totally ruined his confidence throwing the ball downfield.

Of course you know that when you try very hard not to turn the ball over, that's exactly what you end up doing.