Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown, checkdown

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Yep, it's hard to get a good read right now on the passing game right now. Can't tell for sure if Sanchez is being super conservative and not looking for the biggerbplays or if he's making the correct decision on the check downs because WRs aren't open and the line isn't giving him time. Nobody enjoys that many checks to the RB, but if that's all that is there, something is better than nothing. If he is missing opportunities down field that's another story, but it's hard to tell right now because of the amount of variables.
    I'd like to see a game with Holmes/Kerley before making a definitive judgement, but Sanchez has been bleh so far. Not terrible in my opinion but nothing that would make me wanna even come close to declaring him the future at the position. Like I said we should wait to see what happens with our full arsenal before jumping to a definitive conclusion, but it would have been nice if he had played well anyway.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hmmm Sanchez has got to develop a rapport with Hill then... He never even threw the ball his direction. It might have been a case of being able to get open against the 1s/D was focused on Hill being the only legit threat. But still he needs to get it to Hill like he did Edwards. This is of course ignoring the OL issues which were very real.
    I re watched both games so far and I haven't even seen Sanchez look in Hill's direction one time, I don't think he trusts anyone but Turner. Unless they're doing it on purpose to save him for reg season which I doubt. Looks like Sanchez is playing to not turn the ball over rather than taking a chance and see what Hill can and cannot do. Your so right though, he needs to develop a rapport with Hill asap and thats what preseason is for. You can definitely see Hill is very raw at route running which has to improve to gain separation but at least try.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was hard to tell on TV but perhaps Hill was bracketed the whole game since he was the only WR with speed ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever it is, if it continues it's going to cost Mark Sanchez his job. This is Chad Pennington special. Certainly not what Jets fans signed up for. We still want a franchise QB capable of taking the team all the way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Exactly. Check down after check down after check down makes it so hard to move the ball down the field. You need to be able to pick up chunks at a time. I would think moving the ball down the field on 3 passes is less likely of a chance of a turnover than lets say 12 dinks and dunks.
    Precisely, and it is the exact theory behind the Cover 2 Defense. The idea is the more plays an offense needs to metriculate the ball down the field, the more opportunity for mistakes and failure. this offense is playing right into it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just rewatched the game, because watching last night, abd the checkdowns were exactly what the Giants defense gave us, so Sanchez took it. The Giants were not going to let Hill or Keller beat them for a big play.

The Jets were taking a shot on 3rd and 3, and not one WR got off his jam at the LOS, by the time they were able to recover, Sanchez was receiving his first sack.

Later, Sanchez appeared to see Powell break free down the sideline, and as soon as he saw him, he was sacked from behind.

It isn't fun to watch, but in a lot of the cases last night, Sanchez pretty much had to Check it down, or force it into coverage somewhere, because our WR's are currently overmatched in what they are being asked to do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh if passes are being completed and it causes a 2nd and short I don't mind it. And twice a Sanchez completion caused a 2nd and short, then we got stuffed twice and we punted it was unfortunate to watch. My biggest issue is if we try to be ground and pound and it doesn't work when do we pull the plug and put the game on Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Precisely, and it is the exact theory behind the Cover 2 Defense. The idea is the more plays an offense needs to metriculate the ball down the field, the more opportunity for mistakes and failure. this offense is playing right into it.
    yup.

afraid to make the big mistake yet they make it all the time anyway. What's the point of playing conservative all the time if you're still going to throw INTs?

Might as well try to shoot for the stars.

Sanchez and the offense looked exactly the same as they did to end last year. Conservative, scared and mistake prone.

How about they show some aggression in this next pre-season game? It can't get any worse. They have not scored a TD in 2 games, 3 quarters for the #1s.

Checkdowns have their place in the offense, but it's the primary method for moving the ball right now and that's unacceptable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares how far downfield the completions are. How many of Eli's completions were downfield last night? None.

Ever watch Brady play? 90% of his completions are under 10 yards, especially against us. Brady just gets better stats because Woodhead, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez get great YAC and we only have Holmes to do that (didn't have him last night).

I agree that Sanchez needs to throw a few deep passes to loosen up the D, but nothing wrong with checks owns when you complete 80% of them (would have been 90% if not for a dropped pass).

Chill

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Who cares how far downfield the completions are. How many of Eli's completions were downfield last night? None.

Ever watch Brady play? 90% of his completions are under 10 yards, especially against us. Brady just gets better stats because Woodhead, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez get great YAC and we only have Holmes to do that (didn't have him last night).

I agree that Sanchez needs to throw a few deep passes to loosen up the D, but nothing wrong with checks owns when you complete 80% of them (would have been 90% if not for a dropped pass).

Chill
    You're right. Checkdowns are fine.

But I don't think you're really emphasizing the importance of loosening up the D in order to create opportunities for YAC. It's hard to run with the ball when every LB and DB is within a few yards of the action. Part of the reason why the Pats players are better at YAC (aside from them being better players, of course) is that they actually have room to run because the offense spreads out the defense and forces them to defend mroe territory.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post

Chill
    90% of Brady's passes are not under 10 yards...that's absurd. I despise the guy, but he threw for over 5000 yards last year. Gronkowski averaged almost 15 yrds a catch, and he's a TE. Brady or Eli will never average less than 5 yrds per pass attempt in a game. Sid Luckman & Sammy Baugh wouldn't either. Sanchez has now become terrified to make a mistake because of all of his turnovers last year. He'll still find ways to throw INTs on checkdowns.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    90% of Brady's passes are not under 10 yards...that's absurd. I despise the guy, but he threw for over 5000 yards last year. Gronkowski averaged almost 15 yrds a catch, and he's a TE. Brady or Eli will never average less than 5 yrds per pass attempt in a game. Sid Luckman & Sammy Baugh wouldn't either. Sanchez has now become terrified to make a mistake because of all of his turnovers last year. He'll still find ways to throw INTs on checkdowns.
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...-welker/13471/

read ths article about Brady. it'll really open your eyes about his down field passing ability and how the Pats run their offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    You're right. Checkdowns are fine.

But I don't think you're really emphasizing the importance of loosening up the D in order to create opportunities for YAC. It's hard to run with the ball when every LB and DB is within a few yards of the action. Part of the reason why the Pats players are better at YAC (aside from them being better players, of course) is that they actually have room to run because the offense spreads out the defense and forces them to defend mroe territory.
    I am not disagreeing with your sentiment, but you also can't just chuck stuff deep into coverage just for the purpose of doing it. The Jets don't have enough weapons right now to even resemble multiple threats in the passing game. The Giants did a very nice job of bottling up Keller and Hill, forcing the Jets to go underneath to Turner, White and the backs. They flat out left the backs uncovered at times to force Sanchez to either take what they are giving them, or force it somewhere. When Holmes and Kerley come back, teams won't be as quick to do this, because they can make something happen after the catch. Hopefully that will open up some other areas of the field, but right now, their WR's are outmatched severly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez is getting sacked once every 3.4 pass attempts so far this preseason.

a couple of those have been his fault for not getting rid of the ball sooner, but it's still an absurd sack rate.
    Last edited by Dirtstar; 08-19-2012 at 09:19 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I am not disagreeing with your sentiment, but you also can't just chuck stuff deep into coverage just for the purpose of doing it. The Jets don't have enough weapons right now to even resemble multiple threats in the passing game. The Giants did a very nice job of bottling up Keller and Hill, forcing the Jets to go underneath to Turner, White and the backs. They flat out left the backs uncovered at times to force Sanchez to either take what they are giving them, or force it somewhere. When Holmes and Kerley come back, teams won't be as quick to do this, because they can make something happen after the catch. Hopefully that will open up some other areas of the field, but right now, their WR's are outmatched severly.
    How many times have we see them work a double move or another attempt at getting some depth in the passing game? How many times did they roll out or move the pocket to give the WRs time to work deep routes?

They don't even try to play down the field. I'm sure part of that is because of the personnel, but part of it is offensive scheme and part of it is QB decision making. I'm not sure how this blame is broken down. But something has to change.

Hopefully they're playing just possum and won't flash the big guns until it's really showtime.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post

read ths article about Brady. it'll really open your eyes about his down field passing ability and how the Pats run their offense.
    That was an interesting article Matt I must say & thanks for posting, but 70% and 90% is a huge difference anyway. Just as if Sanchez upped his completion % from 57 to 62, that would be a huge difference too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    How many times have we see them work a double move or another attempt at getting some depth in the passing game? How many times did they roll out or move the pocket to give the WRs time to work deep routes?

They don't even try to play down the field. I'm sure part of that is because of the personnel, but part of it is offensive scheme and part of it is QB decision making. I'm not sure how this blame is broken down. But something has to change.

Hopefully they're playing just possum and won't flash the big guns until it's really showtime.
    They did try a couple times last night, not enough, but they did try. The first sack of the game, it looked to be 4 vertical routes and a back swinging out of the back field,but none of the receivers could get off their jam, and by the time they got off Sanchez was getting drilled.

Another play, Hill ran a stutter and go on a corner who was playing 6 yards off, and the CB didn't even flinch at the move. The same play Keller was going down the seam on the same side of the field with a LB underneath and a Safety over top.

The Giants knew they had us out gunned and invited us to dink and dunk all the way down the field.

I agree 100% they need to try it more, but even when they do, the WR's are so overmatched against other teams 1s that they don't get much accomplished. I'm hoping it comes together when everyone is healthy, but it's hard to say if anything will change.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    That was an interesting article Matt I must say & thanks for posting, but 70% and 90% is a huge difference anyway. Just as if Sanchez upped his completion % from 57 to 62, that would be a huge difference too.
    LOL... 90 was an exaggeration dude. Obviously he doesn't throw short 90% of the time!!! haha

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post

BOOM!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow has confidence that he will not be brought down by the pass rush and can get out of trouble. Sanchez has no ability to do that.

Btw? Where are all these roll out plays that sparano was supposed to bring to the team to work to our qb's strength?