Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Draft 'What-Ifs' at Right Tackle

2012 Draft 'What-Ifs' at Right Tackle

A lot of people on the board are saying that the draft wasn't the answer for Wayne Hunter. That we should have addressed RT in free agency. So let's review:

Round 1: When Coples selected at 16, Riley Reiff is left on the board.

Would I have made this swap knowing what I know now? Reiff has gotten positive reviews in Detroit but is still playing with the twos and almost certainly not going to start week one.

Round 2: Mitchell Schwartz, Cordry Glenn, and Jonathan Martin are all selected in the 2nd round before Jets take Stephen Hill. Mike Adams is drafted by the Steelers later in the round.

Would I have traded up for any of these picks and given up Hill?

Schwartz looked outgunned against the ones in Browns' first preseason game though apparently made strides this week.

Glenn is playing with the ones as well, at left tackle. He's had some penalty problems (two false starts and a holding call) and isn't impressing in pass-blocking, but has apparently been a capable run blocker. I remember scouts preferred him at guard or RT.

Joe Philbin said Jonathan Martin's play at RT "wasn't god awful" against Carolina: two sacks, a holding call, and a false start call. He's generally come in for a lot of criticism despite being named as the starter already.

Mike Adams gave up 2.5 sacks in 18 snaps with the ones in his first preseason game with Pittsburgh, and will probably fighting Max Starks for starting time at LT.

Round 3: Donald Stephenson is off the board when Jets select Demario Davis. Lamar Holmes selected later in the round. Bobbie Massie taken in the fourth.

What about these guys? Stephenson is backing up both tackle spots for the Chiefs and seems like he will be for a while. Lamar Holmes is listed third in the Falcons depth chart at LT. Bobbie Massie is listed second on the RT depth chart despite the fact that the likely starter, Jeremy Bridges, is a true guard/depth tackle relying on veteran smarts over pure athletic ability at this point.

I'm no draft expert or NFL talent evaluator, but in the very least I can say there were no obvious home runs at tackle that we seemed to miss.

Reiff is behind Jeff Backus, a 12 year veteran LT. The Lions are grooming him for next season when Backus likely retires. So it's not a lack of talent that's keeping him off the field in Detroit.

On the Jets he'd be the starting Right Tackle over Hunter easily.

All League
    Dolphins fans already hate Jonathan Martin. He's been horrible so far.

Cordy Glenn would have solved the RT problem but Quinton Coples was a far better prospect (and has been playing great in preseason).

Basically what this thread is asking for is the Jets to have reached for need. And that's no way to draft.

also let's keep in mind rookie OL are never instantly great. The only one i can recall was Joe Thomas (and the Jets aren't drafting a top 5 OL). Even Mangold and Brick had their moments as rookies. They were up and down.

So a 2012 draft pick definitely helps in 2015. Does it help in 2012, who knows?

We can't say Reiff can't start for Detroit (!) but he can start here. That's speculation and chances are most of these rookies take time.

Hall Of Fame
    The only Tackle that is expected to play well from the moment he steps foot on an NFL field from the 2012 draft is Kalil. Brick was very inconsistent in his first two season and he was a #4 overall. So if Reiff and Glenn and Martin are having some problems, that is to be expected.

And who says we had to draft one? We could have signed a FA. Wayne Hunter is the worst RT in football so it is very likely that anyone we would have gotten would have been an improvement.

The biggest problem isn't that they kept Hunter, it is that they basically stood pat with Hunter. They brought in nobody to challenge him. A broken down Otah does not count.

Jets Insider VIP
    Our solution at RT should have come in Free Agency. We don't need a stud at Right Tackle, we just need a capable hold-the-fort veteran who won't get Sanchez killed...that's it! Would have liked us to take a look at Eric Winston.

Had the Jets not traded away their 4th round pick, they could have had Bobby Massie.

The trade was for some QB from Denver...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Our solution at RT should have come in Free Agency. We don't need a stud at Right Tackle, we just need a capable hold-the-fort veteran who won't get Sanchez killed...that's it! Would have liked us to take a look at Eric Winston.
    This x 1000000.

Winston was there for the taking, wouldn't have cost too much, and this thread would've never been made. Can't believe Tannenbaum ****ed that up.

The problem with RT is that Ducasse was supposed to be the guy who would anchor that position and that didn't turn out to be the case.

Ironically Ducasse has played well and could be the answer at guard.

You are never going to get all needs filled if you have more than 3 for one given year unless you get really lucky.

This team will draft offensive line heavily next year I would think along with linebacker.

The positives I see are this team is strong at D-line and I think safety could be a strength because Antonio Allen is looking good.

At the end of the day the question is how did RT get to be this bad especially when you consider that Hunter actually performed well when Damein Woody got injured?

I do wonder like most fans why Winston wasn't seriously considered.

if we hadnt traded for tebow, Bobby Massie would have been available for us

Thanks for this thread.

While I'm in the anyone-but-Hunter camp, imagine what our WR core would look like if we had gone RT in round 2?

I can't really fault the Jets for their picks. Coples wasn't really an area of need - but he seems to be the real deal, and BAP can never be faulted.

I'm just bummed that all we have to hope for is, what, Howard?? Schladeroff?? I can't even spell that dude's name...

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Cordy Glenn would have solved the RT problem but Quinton Coples was a far better prospect (and has been playing great in preseason).

Basically what this thread is asking for is the Jets to have reached for need. And that's no way to draft.

also let's keep in mind rookie OL are never instantly great. The only one i can recall was Joe Thomas (and the Jets aren't drafting a top 5 OL). Even Mangold and Brick had their moments as rookies. They were up and down.

So a 2012 draft pick definitely helps in 2015. Does it help in 2012, who knows?

We can't say Reiff can't start for Detroit (!) but he can start here. That's speculation and chances are most of these rookies take time.

I don't think you can consider Reiff a reach at 16. He went 23 and was projected somewhere in the mid to late first round.

A reach is Bobby Carpenter at 25 by Seattle in 2011 when everyone had him going in the 2nd to 3rd round. He's injured now but will likely be a OG when he returns because he was so bad at OT.

I love the idea of building on your strengths and creating a Super Unit like we did on the DL with Coples. But you can't do that when you have gaping holes on your team. Maybe Sparano overstated what he could do with Hunter this season (shades of Adrien Clarke in 2007) ? You can only build Super Units when you have at least competent players at each position. The Jets don't have that at RT. So I think Reiff would have been the better pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    This x 1000000.

Winston was there for the taking, wouldn't have cost too much, and this thread would've never been made. Can't believe Tannenbaum ****ed that up.
    I tend to agree except I don't know if they could have fit Winston in.

He has a manageable cap hit this season ($3M) but escalates to $7M next season and $6M each of the next two.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRevis24 View Post
    if we hadnt traded for tebow, Bobby Massie would have been available for us
    If we hadn't wasted a 6th rd pick on Tony Scott we could have had Tom Brady.. Everyone loves to play the hindsight game..

Jets Insider VIP
    The problem with the Jets is that they're okay admitting/recognizing a failure (ex. Gholston was tough to stomach cutting since he was a super high pick) but the Jets are REALLY having a tough time accepting the fact they they've swung and missed twice at RT. They hoped they could just hit 50% of the Ducasse / Hunter plan. Just needed one guy to step up and take it! It's not happening and they simply can't accept it! In the Jets minds they had a hope (Ducasse) and backup plan (Hunter)....they simply can't compute that both have failed.

Jets Insider VIP
    The RT problem wasn't going to be solved by drafting a 1st rounder.

It was going to be solved in FA.

Jets Insider VIP
    Tyler Wilson in Round 1

OL and Receiver in every other round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The only Tackle that is expected to play well from the moment he steps foot on an NFL field from the 2012 draft is Kalil. Brick was very inconsistent in his first two season and he was a #4 overall. So if Reiff and Glenn and Martin are having some problems, that is to be expected.

And who says we had to draft one? We could have signed a FA. Wayne Hunter is the worst RT in football so it is very likely that anyone we would have gotten would have been an improvement.

The biggest problem isn't that they kept Hunter, it is that they basically stood pat with Hunter. They brought in nobody to challenge him. A broken down Otah does not count.
    BRICK is still inconsistent! He allowed more sacks then HUNTER did last year. he is also not a great run blocker.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Tyler Wilson in Round 1

OL and Receiver in every other round.
    Count me in, just add a running back!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    BRICK is still inconsistent! He allowed more sacks then HUNTER did last year. he is also not a great run blocker.
    You're preaching to the choir.

IMO we might need 2 Tackles. Brick is grossly overrated by the fans. He has had more bad years than good years. But I am willing to give him the entire season to turn things around. Hunter has to be replaced by game 1.