Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Fixes

Possible Fixes

So watching the game it was quite evident we have some big issues on offense. I dug around to see who or what was available, because as many have asserted on the board... the pickings are slim. I used ProFootballFocus to help assess players because there is no way I have time to legitimately know how good/not good these players are. Anyway here is what I could find:

RT- There are two choices here, Tony Pashos and Brandon Keith. Keith is younger but had an overall negative rating. The caveat is that is that most of the negative came from his first two games starting and he stabilized to neutral for the rest of the season. Pashos grades out quite positively (+4.4, +9.7 pass pro) with 12 games at RT. He's 32, which isn't young, but still not ancient. He also didn't grade out as a great run blocker... but seriously beggars can't be choosers.

WR- Really nothing available here, other than Housh who is pretty washed up. Gonna just have to wait for the group to get healthy and pray, a better OL will make a lot of stuff look better... we hope

RB- Nothing to see here either, we have a decent stable of backs anyway... just have to hope one or two step up. Again improved OL play makes everyone look better

It would appear, ironically enough, that our best chance to improve is at our biggest weakness, RT. Hopefully the FO sees the situation the same way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pashos is in the midst of recovering from Achilles surgery, so that's a no-go. Love that you took the time to try and find some solutions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Pashos is in the midst of recovering from Achilles surgery, so that's a no-go. Love that you took the time to try and find some solutions, though.
    Sigh... lol I knew that looked too good to be true. I know hindsight is 20/20 but passing up on Bell, Gaither, Winston... that should get Tanny fired if the season ends up being a fail. It would be clear he learned nothing from the 2007 OL meltdown. No one should expect perfection from a GM, but adaptation from experience is a must. I would love if we could get a Polian-Ryan duo.

Solution: Bill Cowher as GM+HC

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I guess I am the anti-SAR in that I still value Rex as a HC. I think he needs a vet GM, not yes man in Tanny.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I guess I am the anti-SAR in that I still value Rex as a HC. I think he needs a vet GM, not yes man in Tanny.
    I love Rex. But if we get a new GM worth a dime, he will definitely want his own coach.

Can you honestly say that Rex is irreplaceable? There are plenty of coaches that will be available that i would rather have than Rex. This team, sadly needs a new start and Rex will be a casualty.

Hall Of Fame
    Sigh... lol I knew that looked too good to be true. I know hindsight is 20/20 but passing up on Bell, Gaither, Winston... that should get Tanny fired if the season ends up being a fail. It would be clear he learned nothing from the 2007 OL meltdown. No one should expect perfection from a GM, but adaptation from experience is a must. I would love if we could get a Polian-Ryan duo.
    Bill Polian is the way to go! The guy has done well wherever he was. We need a real GM. Re: The RT I'd love to see Howard get some reps with the #1 team. But soon guys will be cut due to age or salary etc. Perhaps we can pick up a good guy ala a Damien Woody-type. I have supported HUNTER in the past but that is over. He had his chance to show improvement and failed miserably last night. That was quite an embarassment.

All League
    I am still 100% behind Rex, but if he's gone after this season, they need to go after an offense oriented HC, and Cowher isn't that.

I am even less in favor of giving him GM control as well. Want no part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I am still 100% behind Rex, but if he's gone after this season, they need to go after an offense oriented HC, and Cowher isn't that.

I am even less in favor of giving him GM control as well. Want no part of that.
    I think you that doesn't matter as much as people think. Either way you need an expert on the other side of the ball. Kubiak needed Phillips and McCarthy needed Capers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It took him 14 years to win a bowl how long would he last here??

I love Rex. But if we get a new GM worth a dime, he will definitely want his own coach.

Can you honestly say that Rex is irreplaceable? There are plenty of coaches that will be available that i would rather have than Rex. This team, sadly needs a new start and Rex will be a casualty.
    I can't think of plenty for sure, but that is my opinion and I have definitely been wrong before. I think a guy like Polian with enough of a track record might be comfortable keeping a relatively young successful coach in Rex. I also see Rex as being a guy who can accept that he is still learning and not get into power struggle with a well known guy like Polian.

All League
    I think you that doesn't matter as much as people think. Either way you need an expert on the other side of the ball. Kubiak needed Phillips and McCarthy needed Capers.
    I disagree, partially. I don't disagree that you need experts on both side of the ball, I certainly think it matters what type of background your HC has and how it will form his team. If Rex is gone(doubt he will be), the next HC needs to be an offensive mind that can build up the offense, like Rex has built the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That 14 year experience in how to win a bowl (he got to the SB in 3 years) is a huge head start in experience compared to a guy who may never get there at all

I can't think of plenty for sure, but that is my opinion and I have definitely been wrong before. I think a guy like Polian with enough of a track record might be comfortable keeping a relatively young successful coach in Rex. I also see Rex as being a guy who can accept that he is still learning and not get into power struggle with a well known guy like Polian.
    Im all for that if Polian would keep Rex. I doubt he would though.

So there's still Brandon Keith!

The last news I see for him is that the Pats tried him out in May.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4963/brandon-keith
    LATEST NEWS
    The Patriots tried out free agent OLs Brandon Keith, Stephon Heyer, and Jamey Richard on Wednesday.
    Richard is a versatile interior lineman, while Keith and Heyer are tackles only. The Pats may have just been updating their "emergency" free agent list. May 23 - 6:42 PM
    Source: ESPN Boston
    Has he not even gotten a look from anyone since?

Im all for that if Polian would keep Rex. I doubt he would though.
    Well... we still have a season to play, hopefully the team makes you and I look like absolute idiots for this kind of banter... I would be very happy with eating a ton of crow on this situation.

As for the bolded part, if it comes to pass I hope you are wrong. I mean that in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Same. After a few seasons JI would be predominantly calling for his head.

No Superbowl right away = fired.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Same. After a few seasons JI would be predominantly calling for his head.

No Superbowl right away = fired.
    How do you feel about Tanny? I am slowly souring on him... am I being hasty? Third party opinion requested, no sarcasm.

All League
    http://www.nfl.com/player/stacyandrews/2506059/profile

stacy andrews released by the giants.

http://www.nfl.com/player/adamgoldberg/2505336/profile

adam goldberg released by the rams.

http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonkeith/1262/profile

brandon keith released by the cardinals.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jarrielking/2495191/profile

jarriel king released by the seahawks

http://www.nfl.com/player/kareemmcke...504712/profile

kareem mckenzie released by the giants.

just to name a few.... are we under or over the cap so far i dont even remember.