Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible Fixes

the NY Jets, win media headlines, the NY Giants win SB's. 4 SB's since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    If you hate the jets so damn much just go be a giants fan already. You might as well be a giants troll (pretty sure you are anyway). You never add a freakin piece of insight to any thread you post in. Summary of your contributions:

"Fire Tanenbum"

"The Jets suck. Giants are awesome"

Give it a rest already.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    It took him 14 years to win a bowl how long would he last here??

He was in the playoffs almost every year and made plenty of deep runs. And that was without ever having a franchise QB until Ben in 2004. And once Ben got there, bang, he wins the SB a year later. If Cowher would actually take the job - which I doubt, as someone pointed out in another thread he turned down Woody once before - you have to go get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    He was in the playoffs almost every year and made plenty of deep runs. And that was without ever having a franchise QB until Ben in 2004. And once Ben got there, bang, he wins the SB a year later. If Cowher would actually take the job - which I doubt, as someone pointed out in another thread he turned down Woody once before - you have to go get him.
    His teams failed badly in the playoffs when they were the favorites. 10 out of 15 years he was in the playoffs and had an 8-9 playoff record until his super bowl year. I would bet that if you gave Rex 15 years he can pull off one Superbowl win as well. Cowher = somewhat overrated. Very few past glory coaches resurface and have the same success they had before.

I believe in Rex Ryan as a HC. So if Tanny ends up getting canned, Woody should approach the hiring process telling every candidate, "Rex Ryan is our HC".

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Bill Polian is the way to go! The guy has done well wherever he was. We need a real GM. Re: The RT I'd love to see Howard get some reps with the #1 team. But soon guys will be cut due to age or salary etc. Perhaps we can pick up a good guy ala a Damien Woody-type. I have supported HUNTER in the past but that is over. He had his chance to show improvement and failed miserably last night. That was quite an embarassment.
    As a Bills fan who has followed Bill Polian's career for more than 2 decades, I would be very wary of hiring him.
    • He's good at building a team but NOT in sustaining it under the salary cap.
    • I question his evaluation of HCs, including Marv Levy but particularly Jim Caldwell. John Fox and Tony Dungy were okay.
    • I question his philosophy on what a good team should be. In Buffalo, he built did NOT build a physical enough team to compete with the cream of the NFC; he seemed satisfied for the Bills to be a big fish in little pond. In Indy, he did NOT build a big enough, physical enough defensive team, either. He built a defense totally and completely dependent upon getting and holding a big lead.
    • He also allowed nepotism to influence his decisions in Indy. His son did a very bad job as the player-personnel guy in that organization. Indy's recent drafts were very thin, which also contributed to the 2011 collapse.
    • I do NOT care who your QB is, he should NOT be making decisions for the coaching staff, and that is what I heard/read was the modus operendus on the Colts team; Manning pretty much dictated what went in practice. As GM, it was on him to know that was going on and to do something about it, especially when it impacted the team, as in, the backup QB getting even fewer reps than backup QBs normally get.

For second part, picking up a RT, there simply aren't any healthy NFL caliber ones to be had at this point. I suspect that there won't be many available except until possibly at the last cut down date.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Very few past glory coaches resurface and have the same success they had before.
    Are you just talking about coaches who won the SB? I will assume not. But off the top of my head I can think of:

- Parcells: went to a SB with his second team, and should have gone to a SB with his third team (Jets).
    - Jimmy Johnson: had a declining Marino in Miami but resurrected their defense and running game and they were always contenders.
    - Tony Dungy: resurrected the Bucs and then the Colts.
    - Tom Coughlin - very successful in Jax and we know what he's done with the she-men.
    - Dan Reeves and Marty Schottenheimer were both successful in their second (and third) go-arounds.

Obviously there are some that weren't so successful with their 2nd team (Holmgren comes to mind) but otherwise this seems like a bad reason to not pursue Cowher, if it ever comes to that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HDKostempski View Post
    As a Bills fan who has followed Bill Polian's career for more than 2 decades, I would be very wary of hiring him.
    • He's good at building a team but NOT in sustaining it under the salary cap.
    • I question his evaluation of HCs, including Marv Levy but particularly Jim Caldwell. John Fox and Tony Dungy were okay.
    • I question his philosophy on what a good team should be. In Buffalo, he built did NOT build a physical enough team to compete with the cream of the NFC; he seemed satisfied for the Bills to be a big fish in little pond. In Indy, he did NOT build a big enough, physical enough defensive team, either. He built a defense totally and completely dependent upon getting and holding a big lead.
    • He also allowed nepotism to influence his decisions in Indy. His son did a very bad job as the player-personnel guy in that organization. Indy's recent drafts were very thin, which also contributed to the 2011 collapse.
    • I do NOT care who your QB is, he should NOT be making decisions for the coaching staff, and that is what I heard/read was the modus operendus on the Colts team; Manning pretty much dictated what went in practice. As GM, it was on him to know that was going on and to do something about it, especially when it impacted the team, as in, the backup QB getting even fewer reps than backup QBs normally get.

For second part, picking up a RT, there simply aren't any healthy NFL caliber ones to be had at this point. I suspect that there won't be many available except until possibly at the last cut down date.
    The real question is: How many SB rings and/ or AFC championship rings does he have?

A RT will shake loose shortly. I understand VERNON CAREY is comtemplating coming out of retirement for starters. Time alone will tell.

That was a well written post HD. I hope the Bills do well except against the Jets. Welcome to JI.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HDKostempski View Post
    [LIST]
    Very solid post. And I agree - one SB victory between 2 HOF quarterbacks over the course of - what - 20 seasons. I mean, I'd take it as a Jets fan, but it isn't all that impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Very solid post. And I agree - one SB victory between 2 HOF quarterbacks over the course of - what - 20 seasons. I mean, I'd take it as a Jets fan, but it isn't all that impressive.

I'm not defending Polian here, but be fair: 6 SB appearances in 20 seasons is pretty f'ing impressive. It's not his fault they lost on a missed FG to the giants and an amazing onside kick to the saints.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I'm not defending Polian here, but be fair: 6 SB appearances in 20 seasons is pretty f'ing impressive. It's not his fault they lost on a missed FG to the giants and an amazing onside kick to the saints.
    Totally true - I was just playing devil's advocate. For a front-office guy, he did put them in position to win at a good clip - which is probably all a front-office can do.

But I always felt Indy resembled Marino-era Dolphins too much - never quite going out and getting everything they needed to compete because they had a QB who they felt could take up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    It took him 14 years to win a bowl how long would he last here??
    The same fans who want to bring Cowher here, are the same fans who would have wanted him fired in Pittsburgh before he actually won the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Totally true - I was just playing devil's advocate. For a front-office guy, he did put them in position to win at a good clip - which is probably all a front-office can do.

But I always felt Indy resembled Marino-era Dolphins too much - never quite going out and getting everything they needed to compete because they had a QB who they felt could take up the slack.
    I felt a lot of that had to do with Manning not being as good of a playoff QB as his rep would indicate. Kerry Byrne, creator of Cold Hard Football Facts (great site with self made meta stats that actually correlate to performance on the field), has made that assertion many times. The one time they did win an SB it was on the back of a defense that stifled the opposition with lackluster support from Manning save the ridiculous comeback against the Pats. I am more a fan of Polian's work in Buffalo and just the overall resume.

It is not perfect by any means as the Bills fan (welcome sir, you seem like a solid poster) mentioned. But I think he is a better match for Rex (might solve Polian's inability to pick a great coach) than Mr. T. This assuming Tanny doesn't prove me wrong with the season, I would love to eat crow on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    So watching the game it was quite evident we have some big issues on offense. I dug around to see who or what was available, because as many have asserted on the board... the pickings are slim. I used ProFootballFocus to help assess players because there is no way I have time to legitimately know how good/not good these players are. Anyway here is what I could find:

RT- There are two choices here, Tony Pashos and Brandon Keith. Keith is younger but had an overall negative rating. The caveat is that is that most of the negative came from his first two games starting and he stabilized to neutral for the rest of the season. Pashos grades out quite positively (+4.4, +9.7 pass pro) with 12 games at RT. He's 32, which isn't young, but still not ancient. He also didn't grade out as a great run blocker... but seriously beggars can't be choosers.

WR- Really nothing available here, other than Housh who is pretty washed up. Gonna just have to wait for the group to get healthy and pray, a better OL will make a lot of stuff look better... we hope

RB- Nothing to see here either, we have a decent stable of backs anyway... just have to hope one or two step up. Again improved OL play makes everyone look better

It would appear, ironically enough, that our best chance to improve is at our biggest weakness, RT. Hopefully the FO sees the situation the same way.

seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    seriously ?
    Were all 100 of your posts this awesome... just wondering

Veteran
    Big game for Hunter coming up(crazy to say that for your starting RT). If he plays like Saturday I believe the CS has to bench him for the benefit of the team. The Stephon Heyer cut is somewhat telling as he was Hunter's backup who they signed as a FA.

Like any other team veteran cuts will be explored unless the Jets fold and give away a draft pick for a player that may be cut anyway..

I know many Jets fans are not too confident in the offense at this point however they have played only 2 preseason games without all their weapons while learning a new system. I agree some things need fixing but I think most teams have issues that need fixing after 2 games. I don't understand all the gloom and doom around this site. After one bad year (not even a losing season) people are calling for coaching changes and firings. It's so pathetic to read all the negative comments. Yea it's tough losing to the Giants again but at least the jets are relatively healthy for the most part at this point in the season.

Do we even know for sure that we need to fix the offense or is it that they just need more time to execute the plays? I think they have 4 pre season games for that am I mistaken? We all know that they won't play much on 3 days rest vs philly for the last game so that leaves game 3 vs Carolina sunday night. I am pretty certain that this is the game the playbooks will open and the starters will be all playing and not resting anymore injuries. You will see a more efficient offense and you will see Tebow and Sanchez on the field together trying out some plays. I would be surprised if Rex didn't at least do that to see how it's all going to work. I think the team needs a confidence boost as well as us fans. That being said if we see another quiet output from the Offense this week than I could not imagine the fans getting up for the opener vs Buffalo. Cmon Rex! lets see what you got!! Prove to us that its all gunna come together.

Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    I know many Jets fans are not too confident in the offense at this point however they have played only 2 preseason games without all their weapons while learning a new system. I agree some things need fixing but I think most teams have issues that need fixing after 2 games. I don't understand all the gloom and doom around this site. After one bad year (not even a losing season) people are calling for coaching changes and firings. It's so pathetic to read all the negative comments. Yea it's tough losing to the Giants again but at least the jets are relatively healthy for the most part at this point in the season.

Do we even know for sure that we need to fix the offense or is it that they just need more time to execute the plays? I think they have 4 pre season games for that am I mistaken? We all know that they won't play much on 3 days rest vs philly for the last game so that leaves game 3 vs Carolina sunday night. I am pretty certain that this is the game the playbooks will open and the starters will be all playing and not resting anymore injuries. You will see a more efficient offense and you will see Tebow and Sanchez on the field together trying out some plays. I would be surprised if Rex didn't at least do that to see how it's all going to work. I think the team needs a confidence boost as well as us fans. That being said if we see another quiet output from the Offense this week than I could not imagine the fans getting up for the opener vs Buffalo. Cmon Rex! lets see what you got!! Prove to us that its all gunna come together.
    In 1992 we went 5-0 in the preseason and 4-12 in the regular season. Maybe the reverse will happen this year lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson douchebag

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I believe in Rex Ryan as a HC. So if Tanny ends up getting canned, Woody should approach the hiring process telling every candidate, "Rex Ryan is our HC".
    +100000000