Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Brick is the most overrated player in the NFL.

  1. #1

    Brick is the most overrated player in the NFL.

    Brick is a good, not elite left tackle, yet he gets paid like one. Last year, he was apart of the offensive line problems, yet no one gets on him. Last night, when JPP destroyed Hunter, Osi beat Brick, which made Sanchez step up into JPP. He has fallen off since 2010. The blind side is the most important position in football. He needs to step up.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    12,767
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Brick is a good, not elite left tackle, yet he gets paid like one. Last year, he was apart of the offensive line problems, yet no one gets on him. Last night, when JPP destroyed Hunter, Osi beat Brick, which made Sanchez step up into JPP. He has fallen off since 2010. The blind side is the most important position in football. He needs to step up.
    Great post! I agree. Its really amazing how so many around here want to have a go at Hunter but turn a blind eye to BRICK. Its also amazing that they also fail to mention that BRICK is not much of a run blocker either!I am glad you wrote this post!

  3. #3
    I don't disagree that he's stepped his game down, but honestly if we can fix the RT then the line gets a lot better. I wish there was a fix for RT. For everyone's sake.

  4. #4
    If we had 22 starters the quality of D'Brickashaw Ferguson we would be an elite team and a Super Bowl favorite.

  5. #5



    This is not Brick getting beat, he did what he was supposed to do. That was all on Hunter being a human turnstile.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,706
    He's not. Overrated? Possibly. Most overrated player in the NFL? Doubtful.

    Brick is still an above average LT, but has struggled per his standards last year, and this pre season. Hopefully he can pick it back up. Brick got called out plenty on here last year, obviously as not as much as Hunter, because he's light years better than Hunter, and shouldn't shoulder the same amount of criticism.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    He was horrible last year, just as bad as Hunter. He's never excelled at opening holes for the runningbacks, but he was at least very good in PP. Wasn't the case in 2011, many, many missed blocks and whiffs. Hope he bounces back this season.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,286
    Brick is solid.

    People who havn't played on the OL need to realize that all 5 spots function as one unit. Youre only as strong as your weakest link.

    The inadequate play of one forces the others to try and accommodate for such inadequacies.

  9. #9
    That's actually a good play by brick. Pushing the rusher by, and Sanchez did his job by stepping up in the pocket.(unlike last year) and Wanye hunter got bent over like it was his first day in Rahway. (worse then last year) one sack was on Sanchez (shoulda thrown it away) but that was after the sodomy sessions occurred

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He was horrible last year, just as bad as Hunter. He's never excelled at opening holes for the runningbacks, but he was at least very good in PP. Wasn't the case in 2011, many, many missed blocks and whiffs. Hope he bounces back this season.
    The Jets had their highest average running behind Brick last season, something like 5.4 YPC and the rest were around 3.6.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    If we had 22 starters the quality of D'Brickashaw Ferguson we would be an elite team and a Super Bowl favorite.
    +1!!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He was horrible last year, just as bad as Hunter. He's never excelled at opening holes for the runningbacks, but he was at least very good in PP. Wasn't the case in 2011, many, many missed blocks and whiffs. Hope he bounces back this season.
    You realize there's a difference in the effect of your run blocking while playing next to Alan Faneca as compared to a banged up Matt Slauson, right?

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post



    This is not Brick getting beat, he did what he was supposed to do. That was all on Hunter being a human turnstile.
    You kidding. Osi makes first contact, swats his hands and goes right by him. Once Osi got even Sanchez had to step up. The idea is to stonewall him or make him take a wide circular route.

    Yes, Hunter was worse on that play bc he got spun around but Brick was bad as well.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The Jets had their highest average running behind Brick last season, something like 5.4 YPC and the rest were around 3.6.
    I wasn't aware of that, but my post was criticizing his pass protection. I believe he allowed more sacks than Hunter.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,407
    Sacks allowed for an o-lineman is the most mis leading stat in the NFL. If Brick or any other lineman does his job, but the the coverage causes the QB to hold the ball for too long and gets sacked, it goes against the lineman even if he does a good jon pass protecting. Or some plays the QBs just run into defenders and that sack also goes against the lineman if it wasn't his fault. Brick may not have had his best year last year, but he was still good.

    And here is a list of the best pass protectors over the past 3 years, Brick is 5 out of LT's and 7th overall, even with a somewhat down year.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    You realize there's a difference in the effect of your run blocking while playing next to Alan Faneca as compared to a banged up Matt Slauson, right?
    Yeah, of course, he also didn't have a TE next to him very often, which is a hindrance. He was awful in one-on-one pass blocking situations though, he got flat out beat way too often.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,117
    Maybe they should move him around apparently he does it all by himself.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You kidding. Osi makes first contact, swats his hands and goes right by him. Once Osi got even Sanchez had to step up. The idea is to stonewall him or make him take a wide circular route.

    Yes, Hunter was worse on that play bc he got spun around but Brick was bad as well.
    Nope, when a guy does a speed rush like that you are taught to ride him out. Brick rode him out where Osi couldn't make a play, it was Hunter's fault that was he spun around like that.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The Jets had their highest average running behind Brick last season, something like 5.4 YPC and the rest were around 3.6.
    Would love to see where you got this from and how they did their analysis. I am not saying you are lying but it seems like whenever we run left the play goes nowhere, especially to the outside.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Nope, when a guy does a speed rush like that you are taught to ride him out.
    But he basically had a straight line to the QB and Sanchez had to step up. Osi got by him very early.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us