Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This team needs a legitimate back-up QB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This team needs a legitimate QB, period.
    We need a starting QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man the QB situation on this team makes me sick.

Tebow has major flaws in his game and he can look absolutely terrible. But there are some wow moments to his game. There were a couple of times I was surprised by how well he threw the ball last night. That one comeback to Hill was beautiful -- great timing, great velocity, great accuracy.

And then, of course, he misses the TD in embarrassing fashion.

He needs A LOT of work. TONS. But there is a QB in there, I do believe that. He has some of the things you can't teach and his flaws can be corrected with time and hard work.

For what the Jets gave up for him and for what he makes, they will be best served to keep him around as long as possible (as a backup) and hope he can put it together.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I will for the sake of the argument agree with what you said about Tebow. If Sanchez and Tebow swapped statistics and which team (1st or 2nd) they were playing with, would you have the same outlook as you just stated? Tebow is only a year younger and Sanchez has only been in the league 1 year longer.

Don't know if this is what you are asking, but if Sanchez played like Tebow, I wouldn't have the same outlook. A double standard, to be sure, but there's a reason for it. Sanchez was taken as a top 5 pick and was seen as being immediately ready to start. He also has the benefit of 3.5 TCs as the starter taking the first team snaps. Lastly, he has 50+ NFL games as a starter. That's invaluable experience.

Compare that to Tebow. He was a luxury pick in the late first round and from the start, was seen as a developmental project. He hasn't had a single training camp as a starter and didn't get all the first team reps that go along with that. He also only has 16 NFL games as a starter.

Given the above, I'd always grade the QB with that much more experience harder than I would a much more inexperienced QB, regardless of what the names were.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude this team needs a way more than that!!!!
    QB
    RT
    Blocking TE
    LT
    RB
    #1 WR.....
    The list goes on.

Oh yeah. A real head coach and gm....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Man the QB situation on this team makes me sick.

Tebow has major flaws in his game and he can look absolutely terrible. But there are some wow moments to his game. There were a couple of times I was surprised by how well he threw the ball last night. That one comeback to Hill was beautiful -- great timing, great velocity, great accuracy.

And then, of course, he misses the TD in embarrassing fashion.

He needs A LOT of work. TONS. But there is a QB in there, I do believe that. He has some of the things you can't teach and his flaws can be corrected with time and hard work.

For what the Jets gave up for him and for what he makes, they will be best served to keep him around as long as possible (as a backup) and hope he can put it together.
    Exactly. That missed TD pass to Hill for example. A 30+ yard pass, across his body, and off his back foot. He'll learn to either set his feet, if there is time, or to aim higher as you lose power, velocity and distance trying to throw like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Exactly. That missed TD pass to Hill for example. A 30+ yard pass, across his body, and off his back foot. He'll learn to either set his feet, if there is time, or to aim higher as you lose power, velocity and distance trying to throw like that.
    Come on man.

He should know that by now. Seriously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I have been a critic of Tebow long enough to not be labeled a Tebowite. Having said that, I actually don't mind him being our backup QB.

If you want a backup that can legitimately take you all the way (ala Jeff Hostetler) then you're right -- Tebow's not the guy. But how many backups are? For as frustrating as Tebow can be, I feel our chances of winning with him as just are good (if not better) than with most backup QBs, simply because of the x-factor he brings each game.

Again, a QB to go the distance with? Most likely no. But a backup to find a way to win some games during an injury period? I don't think there's many backups out there that give you a better chance than he does . . .
    Remember Kellen Clemens?

Does the name Mark Brunell ring a bell?

We haven't had a legitimate back up QB in years. We've forgotten what one looks like. Biggest concern for me, as for many others here, is that Sanchez doesn't look any more in charge or in command than he was before. He looks like, well, the same old Mark Sanchez. We should call him Mr. Bill.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on man.

He should know that by now. Seriously.
    have to figure out if the change in mechanics affected that. Don't know how many times, or even if, he's practiced a cross body, off the back foot throw like that with his new mechanics. After the game, he said that he wanted to throw it to the pylon and low, but not THAT low. Tells me that he didn't get enough on the throw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    have to figure out if the change in mechanics affected that. Don't know how many times, or even if, he's practiced a cross body, off the back foot throw like that with his new mechanics. After the game, he said that he wanted to throw it to the pylon and low, but not THAT low. Tells me that he didn't get enough on the throw.
    OK... so why is he throwing to the pylon when there is nobody within 10 yards of the WR?

Just stop. Find another example. This one sucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Remember Kellen Clemens?

Does the name Mark Brunell ring a bell?

We haven't had a legitimate back up QB in years. We've forgotten what one looks like. Biggest concern for me, as for many others here, is that Sanchez doesn't look any more in charge or in command than he was before. He looks like, well, the same old Mark Sanchez. We should call him Mr. Bill.
    We have a winner.

What I saw Saturday wasn't a back up QB issue.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow has run that play hundreds of times..

His roll to the right throws the defenders off, since he is lefty, and he keeps the ball down like he is going to cut up field, it draws the safety, etc, in..and then he can get it to the receiver.
    The problem is, if he is moving, and the receiver is moving it is harder to complete.
    More than likely Tim asked him to go down and turn around, but Hill just kept waving and running, not even thinking about what Tebow was doing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    It's obvious to anyone that watched the game last night.

Admittedly, I am a huge Sanchez fan, and that pick was horrific, he cannot miss that throw, not in the flat like that. That has to be his last pick 6 this year, he can't continue to give points to the other team, and all us Sanchez defenders have readily admitted that he HAS to cut down on turnovers. As much as I'd like to see him return to 2009-2010 downfield throwing, I can live with a short passing game for 7 and 8 yards as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

But it's obvious that Tim Tebow is not a legitimate NFL QB. Let him run the Wildcat/Spread Option a few times, but he can NOT be under center for any stretch of any game.

Tebowites complained we picked apart his ONE bad pass last week, and that was completely fair just as it's completely fair to pick apart Sanchez's awful INT this week.

But what of the REST of his passes this week?

Awful.

Even his first few completions--as nice as they may have looked--were on his first read and his windup and never-to-be-fixed delivery were cringe-worthy. I'm not saying the Sanchez haters shouldn't continue to hate Sanchez, and weren't cringing at Mark--this isn't a Sanchez thread.

But if you've ever watched any NFL football, it was painfully obvious that Tebow can NOT throw at a consistent enough level to play in this league. He looked like a high-schooler back there, and if you don't think so, you're either delusional or a Tebow Born Again Fanatic. I read somewhere here about his upside--he HAS no upside. The pass to a wide open Hill in the endzone was WORSE than his INT last week. His floater to the RB in the flat, his bounced passes, his inability to look past his first read--this guy is an awful QB. Nice guy, good WC QB, but not a legit NFL QB.

Honestly, did he ever look away from his primary read? Yeah, and when he did, everything broke down for him, he starts getting happy feet and immediately looks to run, and if he has a running game like last night, that spells a lot of loses. His drop-backs look tentative, and even on his called QB draw he looked tentative.

And can we please stop with how great he was in college and HS, how he was such a winner there--that is IRRELEVANT. This isn't the SEC, this is the NFL. And last year, as great as some want to portray him, he led the league in 3 and out's and the mirage of his miracle wins was the defense and a couple of massive FGs. Credit to the guy, he did pull off some miracle wins, but by-and-large, it was a myth fueled by fanaticism.

The guy cannot do the ONE thing it is imperative to be able to do in this league--and that's throw. And please stop with the fantasy that all he needs to do is fix his mechanics--they've been talking about fixing his mechanics since 10th grade. If he truly has the work ethic and fortitude that everyone says he has--then he would have fixed them by now.

He's NOT fixing them.

We need a legitimate NFL quality backup to Sanchez while Tebow runs his packages. He can NOT be the QB for any stretch of a game, much less a few games.

JMHO of course.

_
    Welcome Stokes, we've been waiting. (-; The team also needs a RT and a viable back up at Center too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Welcome Stokes, we've been waiting. (-; The team also needs a RT and a viable back up at Center too.
    LIMOLADY.... You have earned a LOT of respect around here.

What are your thoughts...the JI world would like to know.

Seriously.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    It's obvious to anyone that watched the game last night.

Admittedly, I am a huge Sanchez fan, and that pick was horrific, he cannot miss that throw, not in the flat like that. That has to be his last pick 6 this year, he can't continue to give points to the other team, and all us Sanchez defenders have readily admitted that he HAS to cut down on turnovers. As much as I'd like to see him return to 2009-2010 downfield throwing, I can live with a short passing game for 7 and 8 yards as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

But it's obvious that Tim Tebow is not a legitimate NFL QB. Let him run the Wildcat/Spread Option a few times, but he can NOT be under center for any stretch of any game.

Tebowites complained we picked apart his ONE bad pass last week, and that was completely fair just as it's completely fair to pick apart Sanchez's awful INT this week.

But what of the REST of his passes this week?

Awful.

Even his first few completions--as nice as they may have looked--were on his first read and his windup and never-to-be-fixed delivery were cringe-worthy. I'm not saying the Sanchez haters shouldn't continue to hate Sanchez, and weren't cringing at Mark--this isn't a Sanchez thread.

But if you've ever watched any NFL football, it was painfully obvious that Tebow can NOT throw at a consistent enough level to play in this league. He looked like a high-schooler back there, and if you don't think so, you're either delusional or a Tebow Born Again Fanatic. I read somewhere here about his upside--he HAS no upside. The pass to a wide open Hill in the endzone was WORSE than his INT last week. His floater to the RB in the flat, his bounced passes, his inability to look past his first read--this guy is an awful QB. Nice guy, good WC QB, but not a legit NFL QB.

Honestly, did he ever look away from his primary read? Yeah, and when he did, everything broke down for him, he starts getting happy feet and immediately looks to run, and if he has a running game like last night, that spells a lot of loses. His drop-backs look tentative, and even on his called QB draw he looked tentative.

And can we please stop with how great he was in college and HS, how he was such a winner there--that is IRRELEVANT. This isn't the SEC, this is the NFL. And last year, as great as some want to portray him, he led the league in 3 and out's and the mirage of his miracle wins was the defense and a couple of massive FGs. Credit to the guy, he did pull off some miracle wins, but by-and-large, it was a myth fueled by fanaticism.

The guy cannot do the ONE thing it is imperative to be able to do in this league--and that's throw. And please stop with the fantasy that all he needs to do is fix his mechanics--they've been talking about fixing his mechanics since 10th grade. If he truly has the work ethic and fortitude that everyone says he has--then he would have fixed them by now.

He's NOT fixing them.

We need a legitimate NFL quality backup to Sanchez while Tebow runs his packages. He can NOT be the QB for any stretch of a game, much less a few games.

JMHO of course.

_

So this is what you gleaned from that game..

This is why Jets Insider readers have to spend literally hours scouring through the threads trying to find a reasonable opinion, or observation..

For every time I have read you (in explicit detail I might add) describe all sorts of sexual positions and lusty animal sex between anyone who mentions Tebow in a positive light, you sure have outed yourself as the KIng of the Sanchez cod sack massagers.

You worry about Tebow more than anyone I have seen, it is like a sick Al anon codependent attraction of some sort that I don't really want to know the depths of...

I don't think they have a 12 step program for it, but you could start one.

Sanchezballs Anonymous

p friggin S, If you seriously think that was the last pick six for your lover last night you really need help, seriously.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK... so why is he throwing to the pylon when there is nobody within 10 yards of the WR?

Just stop. Find another example. This one sucks.
    If you go back and look at the play, he was turned kind of upfield, but he was looking to the right flats and was going to pass to the RB there. Then, he saw Hill, brought the ball down, reloaded and fired off to Hill.

I'd wager that he didn't see where the Safety was, but believed he was back there somewhere. So, throw to the pylon where it's "safe". Team is already in FG range, so don't risk the INT. If he had put 1 more yard on the ball, no one would be asking "why did he throw it to the pylon" as it would have been a TD.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan's Revenge View Post
    Tebow has run that play hundreds of times..

His roll to the right throws the defenders off, since he is lefty, and he keeps the ball down like he is going to cut up field, it draws the safety, etc, in..and then he can get it to the receiver.
    The problem is, if he is moving, and the receiver is moving it is harder to complete.
    More than likely Tim asked him to go down and turn around, but Hill just kept waving and running, not even thinking about what Tebow was doing.

Could be. I'm going off of what Tebow said about it, which was that he didn't want to throw it that low. If the receiver was supposed to be closer, then the ball wouldn't have been low.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    should've kept Drew Stenton, and used those Tebow picks on OL help.

f*ck
    Last edited by Dirtstar; 08-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    LIMOLADY.... You have earned a LOT of respect around here.

What are your thoughts...the JI world would like to know.

Seriously.
    Last night they played by the book, plain & simple. Sparano wasn't handing out choices, he was handing out assignments. Sanchez & his squad were executing as directed and it showed consistency, but still hasn't turned the corner on scoring in the end zone. Notice Sparano didn't opt for field goals either, he punted & gave ST the reps instead.

Defense played lights out, but so did the current SB champs. Eli was sacked, knocked down & shouldered a few hits including LaRons INT. He's my new favorite and love his monkey Gucci who is in my signature pic.

In conclusion,, it's better for the team to lose now & get out the kinks before the W-L ratios count. Address back up QB, Center & starting RT as soon as the waivers open up but I'm positive the FO is all over it already.

Thanks for asking. (-;
    Last edited by Limolady; 08-19-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    then again, a little perspective:

NFL ‏@nfl

Drew Stanton has more preseason passing TDs than Peyton, Romo, Vick, Sanchez & Tebow. http://bit.ly/SclR50 Colts lead 24-17.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    should've kept Drew Stenton, and used those Tebow picks on OL help.

f*ck
    What "picks" ? IIRC, we gave a 4th and a 6th Denver for Tebow and a 7th. That's giving 1 pick and exchanging one late round pick for another.