Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: This team needs a legitimate back-up QB

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    What "picks" ? IIRC, we gave a 4th and a 6th Denver for Tebow and a 7th. That's giving 1 pick and exchanging one late round pick for another.
    our QBs are getting sacked every 4.3 pass attempts in preseason. for Sanchez, it's every 3.4 attempts. that is an ABSURD sack rate.

after last night's debacle, i would feel much better if our QB2 was Drew Stenton and our starting RT was NOT Wayne Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    our QBs are getting sacked every 4.3 pass attempts in preseason. for Sanchez, it's every 3.4 attempts. that is an ABSURD sack rate.

after last night's debacle, i would feel much better if our QB2 was Drew Stenton and our starting RT was NOT Wayne Hunter.
    So, which starting right tackle were you going to get in the 4th round ?

So, which starting right tackle were you going to get in the 4th round ?
    i meant using those assets to trade for a competent RT.

i meant using those assets to trade for a competent RT.
    Again, who were you going to get in trade for a 4th round pick ?

I agree that we need a RT. What I disagree with is the contention that getting Tebow somehow prevented us from doing so.

I agree that we need a RT. What I disagree with is the contention that getting Tebow somehow prevented us from doing so.
    well, one of the most popular QBs in the league was available for a 4th round.

i'd like to think a mediocre RT could be had for similar value. i'm not talking about an all-star tackle here, just someone who's more reliable and consistent than Hunter.

and in no way has the Tebow trade prevented us from addressing the need at RT. we can/should still go ahead and make that move. just means that we'll have to burn more assets.

well, one of the most popular QBs in the league was available for a 4th round.

i'd like to think a mediocre RT could be had for similar value. i'm not talking about an all-star tackle here, just someone who's more reliable and consistent than Hunter.

and in no way has the Tebow trade prevented us from addressing the need at RT. we can/should still go ahead and make that move. just means that we'll have to burn more assets.

So, subtracting the Wayne Hunter issue completely from the equation, you'd prefer to have Stanton as the #2 instead of Tebow ?

So, subtracting the Wayne Hunter issue completely from the equation, you'd prefer to have Stanton as the #2 instead of Tebow ?
    as of right now, i would prefer Stanton and the picks over Tebow.

Oh God, absolutely !

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Oh God, absolutely !
    WE'll see what you both think in a couple of weeks

hey, i'm all for getting proved wrong.

hopefully this is just the super-vanillaest of preseason vanilla offenses, and when the Jets unveil their "real" offense Sanchez will have time to blink and Tebow will Wildcat his way into our hearts.

hey, i'm all for getting proved wrong.

hopefully this is just the super-vanillaest of preseason vanilla offenses, and when the Jets unveil their "real" offense Sanchez will have time to blink and Tebow will Wildcat his way into our hearts.
    Part and parcel of that is Wayne Hunter suddenly figuring out how to play RT

Cheers to that.

With Hunter at RT I do think Tebow will be starting before mid-season due to a Sanchez injury. So we'll see what the kid has whether we want to or not.

Could be. I'm going off of what Tebow said about it, which was that he didn't want to throw it that low. If the receiver was supposed to be closer, then the ball wouldn't have been low.
    No, Tebow said "a little of both", meaning he wasn't going to lay it at the feet of Hill, which he shouldn't, but he wasn't entirely responsible.

It was a **** throw, no doubt..

Hall Of Fame

First of all, do not use the term "we" or "us" when referring to the Jets. You were not a fan of this team before the Tebow trade, and you will not be a fan when he is gone. That term "we" should be reserved to actual true Jets fans that were here for decades or will be here for decades to come, not some fly by night fan of one player.

Second, as far as the value of the 4th round pick and what the Jets could have done. It has been spelled out here several times that the Jets could have cut Hunter and saved 2.75 million. Then they could have saved another 2.75 million by not trading for Tebow and still kept the 4th round pick. Then they could have signed Eric Winston for 5 million a year to play RT. They would have also had a 4th round selection and could have drafted a guy like Bobby Massie, Orson Charles or Nick Toon.

As I stated earlier in this thread, if Sanchez does not progress this year, it is not good news for the Jets or us fans. It is back to the drawing board because the future QB of the Jets is not on this team right now. Please do not tell us that Tebow can be that guy and how is improving and all that B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan's Revenge View Post
    No, Tebow said "a little of both", meaning he wasn't going to lay it at the feet of Hill, which he shouldn't, but he wasn't entirely responsible.

It was a **** throw, no doubt..
    OK, I read that he said he threw it short. Perhaps he addressed it a couple of times.

Anyways, don't know what the "scramble rules" are on the Jets, but generally, Deep guys come back to the QB, short guys go deep, guys in between break either left or right at the same level, and backside guys try to get into the QB's' view. Rules also vary on whether the QB is scrambling to the left or to the right.

For example, if Tebow was scrambling to his left, deep throws are much easier, so deep guy might be told to go even deeper. But to his right, it's an across body throw so deep guy might be told to come back. If Sanchez is the QB, rules would be reversed as he should be stronger to the right than to the left.

Don't know what the established "rules" are for the Jets, so can't comment as to whether Hill should have continued to drift long, or if he should have come back.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    First of all, do not use the term "we" or "us" when referring to the Jets. You were not a fan of this team before the Tebow trade, and you will not be a fan when he is gone. That term "we" should be reserved to actual true Jets fans that were here for decades or will be here for decades to come, not some fly by night fan of one player.
    Son, I'll use the terms "we" and "us" to refer to the Jets as I damned well please. YOU aren't the arbiter of whom is or isn't a Jets fan.

Got that ?

Hall Of Fame
    OK, I read that he said he threw it short. Perhaps he addressed it a couple of times.

Anyways, don't know what the "scramble rules" are on the Jets, but generally, Deep guys come back to the QB, short guys go deep, guys in between break either left or right at the same level, and backside guys try to get into the QB's' view. Rules also vary on whether the QB is scrambling to the left or to the right.

For example, if Tebow was scrambling to his left, deep throws are much easier, so deep guy might be told to go even deeper. But to his right, it's an across body throw so deep guy might be told to come back. If Sanchez is the QB, rules would be reversed as he should be stronger to the right than to the left.

Don't know what the established "rules" are for the Jets, so can't comment as to whether Hill should have continued to drift long, or if he should have come back.
    What you dont realize is that Hill was running free and uncovered from the line of scrimmage. It was a massive broken coverage. Tebow didnt see him until he was waiving his arms in the end zone. He then proceeded to one hop the ball at the 2 yard line. There was no need to come back for the ball because NO ONE was with in 15 yards of Hill, the ball should have been thrown into the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

Second, as far as the value of the 4th round pick and what the Jets could have done. It has been spelled out here several times that the Jets could have cut Hunter and saved 2.75 million. Then they could have saved another 2.75 million by not trading for Tebow and still kept the 4th round pick. Then they could have signed Eric Winston for 5 million a year to play RT. They would have also had a 4th round selection and could have drafted a guy like Bobby Massie, Orson Charles or Nick Toon.
    And the Jet's could have saved the other 2.75 million in various other ways as well. It's silly to even suggest that Tim Tebow is the reason we didn't go out and get a RT.

As I stated earlier in this thread, if Sanchez does not progress this year, it is not good news for the Jets or us fans. It is back to the drawing board because the future QB of the Jets is not on this team right now. Please do not tell us that Tebow can be that guy and how is improving and all that B.S.
    Guess we'll see as the season goes along. Kind of funny how you are giving Sanchez yet one more year to progress, but Tebow, with his total of 16 NFL starts, your decision is already made. That's hilarious.

Hall Of Fame
    Son, I'll use the terms "we" and "us" to refer to the Jets as I damned well please. YOU aren't the arbiter of whom is or isn't a Jets fan.

Got that ?
    YOU are not a Jet fan, YOU are a Tebow fan. You were a Bronco fan last year, as you have admitted to us already, and will be a fan of whatever team Tebow is on next year. Again, do not insult the long time dedicated fans around here by using "we" and "us", when you will gone by next season. Dont parade around here and make it seem like you care about what happens to the Jets, when all you care about is what happens to Tebow. You are a fraud of a fan, and an insult to real, dedicated, die hard Jet fans that have been with this team for decades and care about the TEAM and not one player.

Hall Of Fame
    I thought and still think that Tebow was a firing offense for our GM but really.... None of the above.

If figures that we seem destined to suck a year after the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.