Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 122

Thread: This team needs a legitimate back-up QB

  1. #101
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    What you dont realize is that Hill was running free and uncovered from the line of scrimmage. It was a massive broken coverage. Tebow didnt see him until he was waiving his arms in the end zone. He then proceeded to one hop the ball at the 2 yard line. There was no need to come back for the ball because NO ONE was with in 15 yards of Hill, the ball should have been thrown into the end zone.
    Dude, I have the game footage right here and have watched that play about 40 times now in slow motion. First read was down the middle. Tebow started to throw and pulled the ball down. He then scrambled to his right running cross step. The CB released Hill around the 19 yard line and came up to cover the guy who drifted out to the flat. Can't see his number clearly. Tebow pumped to throw to him, saw Hill, pulled the ball back in and threw it to Hill. At the time, he was on the run, cross stepping towards the right sideline and threw the ball across his body off his back foot. I guess everyone else will disagree, but that's not an easy throw to make.

    Whatever the case, he didn't get enough on the ball. I suspect that from this, he'll learn to either put more on it, aim higher, or maybe even try to stop, secure his footing and then throw the ball (something he had time to do).

    As I said, it was a difficult throw and I'm not going to get all worked up about it. Had it been down the left sideline and if he had been scrambling left, it would be more of a concern to me as it's a much easier throw.

  2. #102
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    YOU are not a Jet fan, YOU are a Tebow fan. You were a Bronco fan last year, as you have admitted to us already, and will be a fan of whatever team Tebow is on next year. Again, do not insult the long time dedicated fans around here by using "we" and "us", when you will gone by next season. Dont parade around here and make it seem like you care about what happens to the Jets, when all you care about is what happens to Tebow. You are a fraud of a fan, and an insult to real, dedicated, die hard Jet fans that have been with this team for decades and care about the TEAM and not one player.
    Yep, have readily admitted that I was a Bronco fan last year, and will be a fan of whatever team Tebow is on next year.

    As Tebow is on the Jets now, that makes me a fan of the Jets. If Tebow stays here for some time, the relationship will deepen and I might end up a fan for life. Time will tell.

    the thing you don't get though is that while Tebow brought me here, I'm "team" centered and the team is what I am concerned about. It's why it doesn't bother me a bit that Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the #2.

  3. #103
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    782
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAnchez is at best a quality backup QB. WHat we need is a starting QB.

  4. #104
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Yep, have readily admitted that I was a Bronco fan last year, and will be a fan of whatever team Tebow is on next year.

    As Tebow is on the Jets now, that makes me a fan of the Jets. If Tebow stays here for some time, the relationship will deepen and I might end up a fan for life. Time will tell.

    the thing you don't get though is that while Tebow brought me here, I'm "team" centered and the team is what I am concerned about. It's why it doesn't bother me a bit that Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the #2.
    Just found this article on Yahoo today:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...1282--nfl.html

  5. #105
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Yep, have readily admitted that I was a Bronco fan last year, and will be a fan of whatever team Tebow is on next year.

    As Tebow is on the Jets now, that makes me a fan of the Jets. If Tebow stays here for some time, the relationship will deepen and I might end up a fan for life. Time will tell.

    the thing you don't get though is that while Tebow brought me here, I'm "team" centered and the team is what I am concerned about. It's why it doesn't bother me a bit that Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the #2.
    Are you a girl?

  6. #106
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Yep, have readily admitted that I was a Bronco fan last year, and will be a fan of whatever team Tebow is on next year.

    As Tebow is on the Jets now, that makes me a fan of the Jets. If Tebow stays here for some time, the relationship will deepen and I might end up a fan for life. Time will tell.

    the thing you don't get though is that while Tebow brought me here, I'm "team" centered and the team is what I am concerned about. It's why it doesn't bother me a bit that Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the #2.
    You realize, then, why you rub people the wrong way. 98% of the posters on this site are long-suffering Jets fans, and have stuck it out through disastrous eras of mediocrity. Sorry, but you are a fraud.

  7. #107
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which team will you be team centered on next year if Saint Timmy goes elsewhere?

    Thats the point FRAUD. All of the Jet fans at JI will still be Jet fans




    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    You realize, then, why you rub people the wrong way. 98% of the posters on this site are long-suffering Jets fans, and have stuck it out through disastrous eras of mediocrity. Sorry, but you are a fraud.
    Hard to argue this. Makes him more of a groupie than a fan.

    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Which team will you be team centered on next year if Saint Timmy goes elsewhere?

    Thats the point FRAUD. All of the Jet fans at JI will still be Jet fans

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    What kind of fan denigrates and roots against a player on his team as you do with Tebow? Seems like you're every bit the fraud that you accuse him to be.

  9. #109
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan's Revenge View Post
    So this is what you gleaned from that game..

    This is why Jets Insider readers have to spend literally hours scouring through the threads trying to find a reasonable opinion, or observation..

    For every time I have read you (in explicit detail I might add) describe all sorts of sexual positions and lusty animal sex between anyone who mentions Tebow in a positive light, you sure have outed yourself as the KIng of the Sanchez cod sack massagers.

    You worry about Tebow more than anyone I have seen, it is like a sick Al anon codependent attraction of some sort that I don't really want to know the depths of...

    I don't think they have a 12 step program for it, but you could start one.

    Sanchezballs Anonymous

    p friggin S, If you seriously think that was the last pick six for your lover last night you really need help, seriously.
    Excuse me, but who are you?

    Oh, I see you joined after we traded for Tebow.

    Never mind.

    LOLGFY.

    _

  10. #110
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Which team will you be team centered on next year if Saint Timmy goes elsewhere?

    Thats the point FRAUD. All of the Jet fans at JI will still be Jet fans




    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    As much as I understand the temptation to do so in this case, YOU really need to cease and desist from the habit of offering YOUSELF up to speak on behalf of Jets fans.

    YOU just need to stop doing that.

    Forever.

    You do not represent me.

  11. #111
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    The premise of this thread is the only real problem I have with the Tebow acquisition. Never loved it, but can understand it and if Rex and Sparano like the Wildcat-esque (to include whatever Tebow-led offense they put in), I'm down with that - I think it has its benefits and didn't mind the Brad Smith/Leon Washington plays.

    But, Tebow was not brought in here to be a backup QB. He was brought in to be a newer (and perhaps expanded) version of Brad Smith. And, considering the price tag - same as Brad Smith - I'm perfectly OK with that. And, while we haven't seen him interspersed with the first unit yet, I have some faith that they will use him well (although everyone will undoubtedly second guess every Tebow play). And I'm also perfectly happy using him on STs - if that keeps the other team guessing, and the Jets run more fakes this year, all the better.

    BUT, putting aside Tebow's ability and performance for a second, it doesn't make any sense at all to have your primary backup QB playing the roles that Tebow is doing. Its really easy to get banged up on punt protection. Its one thing for a FB to jam a finger whilst blocking. Its an entirely a different one to have your backup QB getting injured doing something relatively inconsequential.

    If the Jets kept Drew Stanton and acquired Tebow as a jack of all trades player, I'd be perfectly happy with the move (despite the external nonsense that Tebow brings). And perhaps, if Sanchez goes down, we will see a mix of McElroy and Tebow, but it would be nice if Mc got some snaps in the preseason if that was going to happen.

    Ultimately I'm not losing sleep over it as I have little faith in a backup QB taking a team anywhere far in the playoffs whether its Tebow, McElroy or Stanton. And its not like Brunnell was any more effective than any of the options we had or could have had this year. We still have no idea how the Jets will use Tebow as they have not used him as they will during the regular season. But when most teams don't have their backup QBs even hold for snaps for fear of injury, its kind of strange having ours as the punt protector.

  12. #112
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    We had Drew Stanton for a week - didn't we?
    +1

  13. #113
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Hmm, guess I'll go ahead and take the bait. I sat through this past week hearing people complain about how poorly Tebow threw the ball in the 1st preseason game, when, in fact, all his actual passes were just fine, even the interception. That wasn't a bad pass, it was a poor decision. Granted, for most QBs, you don't make the distinction because there isn't a question about their passing abilities and they aren't in the process of changing their mechanics.

    So forgive me if I don't just swallow a blanket pronouncement that Tebow can't pass.

    This game ? A couple of overthrows, probably because of bad footwork, a hurried low throw after a bad snap, and the cross the body 32 yarder to Hill that was a little short.

    As far as I'm concerned, the kid did pretty well, is much improved from last year, and will continue to get better.
    There was no bait to take, was just stating my actual opinion, and I respect you have a different opinion--and based upon your agenda here, I'm not surprised.

    The INT last week was an AWFUL throw--you want to say it was a "bad decision", then that's just semantics. To say he threw a PERFECT spiral directly to a defender with the receiver 5 yards behind him as just a "bad decision" but a good pass is just silly.

    And you've said that the blame for some of Tebow's throws are as a result of his "changing his mechanics" but where is this coming from? What's changed? What is changing? The windmill is still there on basically every throw.

    We've heard from you and "many" experts (some dead) that his mechanics are easily fixable, can be fixed, might be fixed, need to be fixed, but he's been throwing this way probably since 10th grade--at what point do the mechanics get fixed?

    A couple of overthrows "probably because of bad footwork"?

    A hurried throw after a "bad snap"?

    A "cross the body throw" that was a "little short"?

    So, these are all fixable things, right? It's not possible that he just can't throw, right?

    Just tweak the mechanics a bit and--boom--NFL ready thrower?

    If he's "much improved" since last year, he must have sucked worse last year than any of us thought.

    _

  14. #114
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The premise of this thread is the only real problem I have with the Tebow acquisition.

    But, Tebow was not brought in here to be a backup QB. He was brought in to be a newer (and perhaps expanded) version of Brad Smith.
    Well, thank you Sir. Finally someone who understands what I was saying.

    I'm not a fan of the WC/spread option, but if he can make plays for us, so be it.

    HE'S NOT A LEGIT EVERYDOWN QB--therefore he SHOULDN'T BE THE BACKUP.

    Geez, why don't you all jump down my throat with your Sanchez hate about how bad Sanchez sucks.

    Got it. He's the starter, deal with it.

    If he goes down or craps the bed--Tebow can't be the everydown QB.

    Geez.

    _

  15. #115
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    There was no bait to take, was just stating my actual opinion, and I respect you have a different opinion--and based upon your agenda here, I'm not surprised.

    The INT last week was an AWFUL throw--you want to say it was a "bad decision", then that's just semantics. To say he threw a PERFECT spiral directly to a defender with the receiver 5 yards behind him as just a "bad decision" but a good pass is just silly.

    And you've said that the blame for some of Tebow's throws are as a result of his "changing his mechanics" but where is this coming from? What's changed? What is changing? The windmill is still there on basically every throw.

    We've heard from you and "many" experts (some dead) that his mechanics are easily fixable, can be fixed, might be fixed, need to be fixed, but he's been throwing this way probably since 10th grade--at what point do the mechanics get fixed?

    A couple of overthrows "probably because of bad footwork"?

    A hurried throw after a "bad snap"?

    A "cross the body throw" that was a "little short"?

    So, these are all fixable things, right? It's not possible that he just can't throw, right?

    Just tweak the mechanics a bit and--boom--NFL ready thrower?

    If he's "much improved" since last year, he must have sucked worse last year than any of us thought.

    _
    Stokes, I appreciate the thoughtful and straightforward reply. Am out for the day and will reply fully when I get to a computer.


    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #116
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Rex/Sparano haven't shown us yet is Sanchez *and* Tebow on the field at the same time. I'm guessing we'll see that every down during the *real* season, vs this preseason practice. Ether way, Hunter sucks

  17. #117
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Dude, I have the game footage right here and have watched that play about 40 times now in slow motion. First read was down the middle. Tebow started to throw and pulled the ball down. He then scrambled to his right running cross step. The CB released Hill around the 19 yard line and came up to cover the guy who drifted out to the flat. Can't see his number clearly. Tebow pumped to throw to him, saw Hill, pulled the ball back in and threw it to Hill. At the time, he was on the run, cross stepping towards the right sideline and threw the ball across his body off his back foot. I guess everyone else will disagree, but that's not an easy throw to make.

    Whatever the case, he didn't get enough on the ball. I suspect that from this, he'll learn to either put more on it, aim higher, or maybe even try to stop, secure his footing and then throw the ball (something he had time to do).

    As I said, it was a difficult throw and I'm not going to get all worked up about it. Had it been down the left sideline and if he had been scrambling left, it would be more of a concern to me as it's a much easier throw.
    I haven't watched it 40 times like you. But, while at the game, I was watching the play focused on something (other than Hill), the guy behind me screamed "He's open", I instinctually turned around for a split second (caught me off guard), I turned to the field, looked around, located Hill in the end zone, saw Tebow moving around and then finally attempted the throw.

    I agree that throw was difficult, but in my mind, I guess it didn't have to be. I only have had the benefit of watching it live so maybe I'm off, but it seemed like tebow was operating in slow motion and should have a) recognized it earlier and b) been able to get himself into a better position to throw. But again, I haven't studied it so maybe I'm off base.

    And its just one throw - not going to make sweeping conclusions from one play.

  18. #118
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow needs to be on the field every down to help pass block for Mark. That then puts Timmy in position for the first down proven dink-and-dunks

  19. #119
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Well, thank you Sir. Finally someone who understands what I was saying.

    I'm not a fan of the WC/spread option, but if he can make plays for us, so be it.

    HE'S NOT A LEGIT EVERYDOWN QB--therefore he SHOULDN'T BE THE BACKUP.

    Geez, why don't you all jump down my throat with your Sanchez hate about how bad Sanchez sucks.

    Got it. He's the starter, deal with it.

    If he goes down or craps the bed--Tebow can't be the everydown QB.

    Geez.

    _
    I'm probably more a fan of it than you are, but I'd hardly call myself a proponent of the WC/Spread.

    Putting aside the PR factor, the big issue I have with the Jets is that they're half assing it with Tebow. They haven't gone all in with him as a "slash" player, and they haven't gone all in with him as a backup QB. They're going for something in the middle - giving him traditional backup QB reps in the preseason but also using him as a jack of all trades.

    Its almost as if I'm stepping up to the tee and see a split fairway. Not really sure if I should aim left or aim right so I decide to aim right down the middle figuring 6 out of 10 times my ball doesn't really go straight anyway. The Jets are sort of dangling him out there and seeing what happens.

    Out of this whole morass, I just hope the Jets have more confidence in Greg McElroy than I think they do. If that's the case, I'm perfectly content (or content enough) with the situation as I think Tebow can otherwise be a real asset to the team.

  20. #120
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Stokes, I appreciate the thoughtful and straightforward reply. Am out for the day and will reply fully when I get to a computer.


    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Not necessary, it's just my opinion, you don't need to whack my post up into 20 bits and respond in red where you vehemently disagree.

    We get it, you think Tebow is improving, can improve more, you'll sprinkle in some quotes or tweets by recognized experts that assert Tebow absolutely can be fixed.

    I'm just watching the guy- he can't throw. The excuses don't change the facts.

    _

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us