Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This team needs a legitimate back-up QB

Hall Of Fame

This team needs a legitimate back-up QB

It's obvious to anyone that watched the game last night.

Admittedly, I am a huge Sanchez fan, and that pick was horrific, he cannot miss that throw, not in the flat like that. That has to be his last pick 6 this year, he can't continue to give points to the other team, and all us Sanchez defenders have readily admitted that he HAS to cut down on turnovers. As much as I'd like to see him return to 2009-2010 downfield throwing, I can live with a short passing game for 7 and 8 yards as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

But it's obvious that Tim Tebow is not a legitimate NFL QB. Let him run the Wildcat/Spread Option a few times, but he can NOT be under center for any stretch of any game.

Tebowites complained we picked apart his ONE bad pass last week, and that was completely fair just as it's completely fair to pick apart Sanchez's awful INT this week.

But what of the REST of his passes this week?

Awful.

Even his first few completions--as nice as they may have looked--were on his first read and his windup and never-to-be-fixed delivery were cringe-worthy. I'm not saying the Sanchez haters shouldn't continue to hate Sanchez, and weren't cringing at Mark--this isn't a Sanchez thread.

But if you've ever watched any NFL football, it was painfully obvious that Tebow can NOT throw at a consistent enough level to play in this league. He looked like a high-schooler back there, and if you don't think so, you're either delusional or a Tebow Born Again Fanatic. I read somewhere here about his upside--he HAS no upside. The pass to a wide open Hill in the endzone was WORSE than his INT last week. His floater to the RB in the flat, his bounced passes, his inability to look past his first read--this guy is an awful QB. Nice guy, good WC QB, but not a legit NFL QB.

Honestly, did he ever look away from his primary read? Yeah, and when he did, everything broke down for him, he starts getting happy feet and immediately looks to run, and if he has a running game like last night, that spells a lot of loses. His drop-backs look tentative, and even on his called QB draw he looked tentative.

And can we please stop with how great he was in college and HS, how he was such a winner there--that is IRRELEVANT. This isn't the SEC, this is the NFL. And last year, as great as some want to portray him, he led the league in 3 and out's and the mirage of his miracle wins was the defense and a couple of massive FGs. Credit to the guy, he did pull off some miracle wins, but by-and-large, it was a myth fueled by fanaticism.

The guy cannot do the ONE thing it is imperative to be able to do in this league--and that's throw. And please stop with the fantasy that all he needs to do is fix his mechanics--they've been talking about fixing his mechanics since 10th grade. If he truly has the work ethic and fortitude that everyone says he has--then he would have fixed them by now.

He's NOT fixing them.

We need a legitimate NFL quality backup to Sanchez while Tebow runs his packages. He can NOT be the QB for any stretch of a game, much less a few games.

JMHO of course.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    This team needs a legitimate QB, period.

Jets Insider VIP
    No. I'd like to see what tebow can do with this bunch. Everything is just fine the way it is.

Both of them were bad last night.

I agree that we need a legit backup, Tebow is only pushing/viable to his most ardent followers. He can't push Sanchez if he is playing like garbage (and Sanchez needs to be pushed, even as a supporter I think he needs to prove he is the starter with his play).

All League
    We had Drew Stanton for a week - didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    It's obvious to anyone that watched the game last night.

Admittedly, I am a huge Sanchez fan, and that pick was horrific, he cannot miss that throw, not in the flat like that. That has to be his last pick 6 this year, he can't continue to give points to the other team, and all us Sanchez defenders have readily admitted that he HAS to cut down on turnovers. As much as I'd like to see him return to 2009-2010 downfield throwing, I can live with a short passing game for 7 and 8 yards as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

But it's obvious that Tim Tebow is not a legitimate NFL QB. Let him run the Wildcat/Spread Option a few times, but he can NOT be under center for any stretch of any game.

Tebowites complained we picked apart his ONE bad pass last week, and that was completely fair just as it's completely fair to pick apart Sanchez's awful INT this week.

But what of the REST of his passes this week?

Awful.

Even his first few completions--as nice as they may have looked--were on his first read and his windup and never-to-be-fixed delivery were cringe-worthy. I'm not saying the Sanchez haters shouldn't continue to hate Sanchez, and weren't cringing at Mark--this isn't a Sanchez thread.

But if you've ever watched any NFL football, it was painfully obvious that Tebow can NOT throw at a consistent enough level to play in this league. He looked like a high-schooler back there, and if you don't think so, you're either delusional or a Tebow Born Again Fanatic. I read somewhere here about his upside--he HAS no upside. The pass to a wide open Hill in the endzone was WORSE than his INT last week. His floater to the RB in the flat, his bounced passes, his inability to look past his first read--this guy is an awful QB. Nice guy, good WC QB, but not a legit NFL QB.

Honestly, did he ever look away from his primary read? Yeah, and when he did, everything broke down for him, he starts getting happy feet and immediately looks to run, and if he has a running game like last night, that spells a lot of loses. His drop-backs look tentative, and even on his called QB draw he looked tentative.

And can we please stop with how great he was in college and HS, how he was such a winner there--that is IRRELEVANT. This isn't the SEC, this is the NFL. And last year, as great as some want to portray him, he led the league in 3 and out's and the mirage of his miracle wins was the defense and a couple of massive FGs. Credit to the guy, he did pull off some miracle wins, but by-and-large, it was a myth fueled by fanaticism.

The guy cannot do the ONE thing it is imperative to be able to do in this league--and that's throw. And please stop with the fantasy that all he needs to do is fix his mechanics--they've been talking about fixing his mechanics since 10th grade. If he truly has the work ethic and fortitude that everyone says he has--then he would have fixed them by now.

He's NOT fixing them.

We need a legitimate NFL quality backup to Sanchez while Tebow runs his packages. He can NOT be the QB for any stretch of a game, much less a few games.

JMHO of course.

_
    After the way McElroy played (well with no o-line) in pre-season last year, why the hell are we not playing him more in pre-season? Instead, we trade for and play Tebow, who can't throw. Makes no sense to me. We are going to ruin the development of yet another young QB. Let McElroy get some play behind Sanchez. I think it's clear that our organization has signs of mental retardation or some other developmental disability.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This as well. I made the argument with UT that this year was "show us" time for Sanchez. His extension gives him next year too, but I'd go the chargers-brees route if it falls apart this year, and draft a blue chip QB using Sanchez as a bridge. Worst case scenario you have the great problem of two really good QBs.

Jets Insider VIP

Of all the things this team need, back up QB is one of the last.

First and foremost we need accountability. Accountability from the GM (we went into the off season desperately needing help with the O-line, especially RT and instead we sign Tim Tebow? ), the coaching staff, and players.

Our immediate needs in order are: RT, LG, WR, RB. We desperately suck in these positions. We have JV guys starting

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    This as well. I made the argument with UT that this year was "show us" time for Sanchez. His extension gives him next year too, but I'd go the chargers-brees route if it falls apart this year, and draft a blue chip QB using Sanchez as a bridge. Worst case scenario you have the great problem of two really good QBs.
    Sanchez and Tyler Wilson fighting it out in 2013 for the starting job.

Sounds good to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Agreed. Some of these guys just try to protect Sanchez by going at Tebow. They would feel the same way if McElroy was the #2 backup. If JOE MONTANA was to come out of retirement, they'd still say the same crap. Why take them seriously?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I have no problem with this, and as an ardent Sanchez fan, that's a difficult thing to admit.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm not sure if Sanchez will ever be s good starting QB but Tebow is embarrassingly bad throwing thd ball.

Embarrassingly bad.

And with our O-line as bad as it is, defenses are crowding the line and that will vastly limit his ability to even run.

Keeping Hunter was a huge mistake and may ultimately cost Tanny, Rex and Sanchez their jobs.

I've never been the "sky is falling" type but I can easily see Sanchez getting crushed this season because of the line and one thing is for certain... Tebow is not the answer. He blows.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    After the way McElroy played (well with no o-line) in pre-season last year, why the hell are we not playing him more in pre-season? Instead, we trade for and play Tebow, who can't throw. Makes no sense to me. We are going to ruin the development of yet another young QB. Let McElroy get some play behind Sanchez. I think it's clear that our organization has signs of mental retardation or some other developmental disability.
    Agreed. But even the most devoted of Sanchez fans have to be fed up.

he appears to NOT be a true NFL QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Draft Tyler Wilson in Round 1 next year.

Use the rest of the picks on OL, WR, and RB.

Have a competition between Wilson and Sanchez for the starting job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Of all the things this team need, back up QB is one of the last.

First and foremost we need accountability. Accountability from the GM (we went into the off season desperately needing help with the O-line, especially RT and instead we sign Tim Tebow? ), the coaching staff, and players.

Our immediate needs in order are: RT, LG, WR, RB. We desperately suck in these positions. We have JV guys starting
    100% right. Could even use a blocking TE. There's a theme here - all the needs are on offense. Should've gone all offense the past few drafts, especially since we have Rex and he'd keep the defense good regardless of personnel. Really disappointed.

Sign Chad Pennington as a 3rd stringer. If he never takes a snap at least he's in the meetings & at practices helping Sanchez & Tebow improve. If he does have to play, it can't hurt to have the most accurate QB in NFL history in your huddle.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Agreed. Some of these guys just try to protect Sanchez by going at Tebow. They would feel the same way if McElroy was the #2 backup. If JOE MONTANA was to come out of retirement, they'd still say the same crap. Why take them seriously?
    My criticism has NOTHING to do with Sanchez. I like Sanchez a lot--but he can't ever throw that pick again and he needs to totally step up his game.

Full stop.

Tim Tebow is an awful QB.

Full stop.

What are you failing to comprehend?

As weak as McElroy's arm is, I still view him as a better pure back-up than Tebow. Let Tebow run his packages, but we need a backup QB than can run a traditional offense.

A guy that can make more than one read and can throw short accurate passes.

That guy isn't Tim Tebow, no matter how much you desire him to be so.

_

I have been a critic of Tebow long enough to not be labeled a Tebowite. Having said that, I actually don't mind him being our backup QB.

If you want a backup that can legitimately take you all the way (ala Jeff Hostetler) then you're right -- Tebow's not the guy. But how many backups are? For as frustrating as Tebow can be, I feel our chances of winning with him as just are good (if not better) than with most backup QBs, simply because of the x-factor he brings each game.

Again, a QB to go the distance with? Most likely no. But a backup to find a way to win some games during an injury period? I don't think there's many backups out there that give you a better chance than he does . . .

Tebow, and especially Sanchez, were sooooo far down the list of problems last night.