Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This team needs a legitimate back-up QB

Agreed I still do not get why we traded Stanton. Maybe we can get one of Cleveland's BUs? I'd be thrilled to get McCoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    100% right. Could even use a blocking TE. There's a theme here - all the needs are on offense. Should've gone all offense the past few drafts, especially since we have Rex and he'd keep the defense good regardless of personnel. Really disappointed.
    I actually dont mind the way we drafted this year, but after signing Drew Stanton as back up QB did we really need to go after Tebow? Seriously, why not sign a FA or trade for a RT. The way the FO addressed the O-Line )a glaring weakness) is laughable. Heads should roll because of such incompetence.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I have no problem with this, and as an ardent Sanchez fan, that's a difficult thing to admit.

_
    Why are you such an ardent fan of Sanchez? Do you celebrate mediocrity?

Sanchez looked good when surrounded by great players. He looks below average surrounded by average players. He's a mistake prone QB with an average arm and an average brain and awful pocket awareness . He was done last year I guess some of you love sequels.

Hall Of Fame
    Completely agree. If Sanchez falters and they make the decision to switch QBs or if Sanchez gets injured (which is very much a legitimate concern) we need to have a real QB come in. Otherwise we are looking at a myriad of 3-and-outs and the defense getting abused. No matter how good the defense is, it won't matter with Tebow as the QB simply b.c our offense is not built for him. We need a normal QB to backup Sanchez.

Our QB play is an issue but that issue is a product of the entire offense. I am not sure any QB would flourish with the talent we have on offense. So unless we improve that, I don't think it matters who the backup is. That being said, I think Sanchez has limitations that no amount of talent would help.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This team needs a legitimate QB, period.
    We all get you hate Sanchez, your disdain is well documented.

You've stated it ad nauseum so much we're all nauseous.

What's your thought on the actual content of the thread?

In your ultimate wisdom, do you think Tebow is a legitimate back-up, NFL QB ready to take over if Sanchez goes down or is benched?

Come on, stop with the snarky wise-ass comments.

From what you've seen, what do you honestly think?

Sanchez gets hit by a bus tomorrow, are you happy with Tebow as your starter?

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    This as well. I made the argument with UT that this year was "show us" time for Sanchez. His extension gives him next year too, but I'd go the chargers-brees route if it falls apart this year, and draft a blue chip QB using Sanchez as a bridge. Worst case scenario you have the great problem of two really good QBs.
    I agree. If we are sitting here at the end of the season asking the same questions about Sanchez, then I would absolutely look at drafting a legitimate QB next year. Tyler Wilson is probably going to require a top 5 pick to attain, so either the season will really have to go to s**t to get him, or another trade will be necessary. The one good thing is that now with the new rookie salary structure, it is not impossible to draft a top QB while still paying your "other" QB his starting salary.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Tebow, and especially Sanchez, were sooooo far down the list of problems last night.
    Oh, apparently, you didn't hear that the problem, according to Tebowites, was Mark's pocket presence last night...that was until Tebow started to have issues with pocket presence against the 2nd team defense, which had no pass rushers on it whatsoever.

Tom Brady would have died out there last night.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-19-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Why are you such an ardent fan of Sanchez? Do you celebrate mediocrity?

Sanchez looked good when surrounded by great players. He looks below average surrounded by average players. He's a mistake prone QB with an average arm and an average brain and awful pocket awareness . He was done last year I guess some of you love sequels.
    Stay on point.

This is a Tebow thread.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Stay on point.

This is a Tebow thread.

_
    Oh, in that case if Tebow becomes the QB this season we will be drafting near the top of the draft. Perhaps we should start focusing on the combine.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Oh, apparently, you didn't hear that the problem, according to Tebowites, was Mark's pocket presence last night...that was until Tebow started to have issues with pocket presence against the 2nd team defense, which had no pass rushers on it whatsoever.
    At least tebow can get out of the pocket and try the run for a first down. Sanchez basically just rolls up in the fetal position anytime hes touched. It's getting boring watching him suntan half the game. Sanchez also blatently questions every throw he should just release the ball. He can't do any worse then he already is. Tebow sucks as well but at least hes got some heart

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree. If we are sitting here at the end of the season asking the same questions about Sanchez, then I would absolutely look at drafting a legitimate QB next year. Tyler Wilson is probably going to require a top 5 pick to attain, so either the season will really have to go to s**t to get him, or another trade will be necessary. The one good thing is that now with the new rookie salary structure, it is not impossible to draft a top QB while still paying your "other" QB his starting salary.
    I know this might be viewed terribly given Sanchez's poor tenure here... but I am a Matt Barkley supporter. I know USC is a power house, but the guy has the tools and college experience to be the real deal. I am hoping if we do poorly due to poor QB play, that it's fail-tastic. Mediocrity makes things harder. But if we have to trade up so be it, QB is the most important position on the field. Polian subbing for Tanny would be a huge win and hopefully we keep Rex. Polian has a knack for offense and overall team building. He would be the perfect foil to Rex in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I know this might be viewed terribly given Sanchez's poor tenure here... but I am a Matt Barkley supporter. I know USC is a power house, but the guy has the tools and college experience to be the real deal. I am hoping if we do poorly due to poor QB play, that it's fail-tastic. Mediocrity makes things harder. But if we have to trade up so be it, QB is the most important position on the field. Polian subbing for Tanny would be a huge win and hopefully we keep Rex. Polian has a knack for offense and overall team building. He would be the perfect foil to Rex in my opinion.
    I like Barkley too, but I also liked Sanchez.

I actually like a lot of West Coast QBs. The spread option has yet to infect the Pac 10/12, except for Oregon and Utah.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I'm not sure if Sanchez will ever be s good starting QB but Tebow is embarrassingly bad throwing thd ball.

Embarrassingly bad.

And with our O-line as bad as it is, defenses are crowding the line and that will vastly limit his ability to even run.

Keeping Hunter was a huge mistake and may ultimately cost Tanny, Rex and Sanchez their jobs.

I've never been the "sky is falling" type but I can easily see Sanchez getting crushed this season because of the line and one thing is for certain... Tebow is not the answer. He blows.
    In case you didn't notice Tebow was a better QB last night, he was victimized by drops. and on that TD he missed, bet you didn't see the ball tipped at the line along with poor protection the dude was a target. matter or fact Tebow didn't give up any TD he didn't throw an Int when we were about to score our first TD. I hope he gats to start soon.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    lmao i cant even believe this. you cant put jesus christ himself behind center and he would not be able to complete a pass for the garbage we have on the o-line.... but yet the main problem is the qb right???? history is sure repeating itself and i feel like sanchez is o'brian 2.0

Hmm, guess I'll go ahead and take the bait. I sat through this past week hearing people complain about how poorly Tebow threw the ball in the 1st preseason game, when, in fact, all his actual passes were just fine, even the interception. That wasn't a bad pass, it was a poor decision. Granted, for most QBs, you don't make the distinction because there isn't a question about their passing abilities and they aren't in the process of changing their mechanics.

So forgive me if I don't just swallow a blanket pronouncement that Tebow can't pass.

This game ? A couple of overthrows, probably because of bad footwork, a hurried low throw after a bad snap, and the cross the body 32 yarder to Hill that was a little short.

As far as I'm concerned, the kid did pretty well, is much improved from last year, and will continue to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    lmao i cant even believe this. you cant put jesus christ himself behind center and he would not be able to complete a pass for the garbage we have on the o-line.... but yet the main problem is the qb right???? history is sure repeating itself and i feel like sanchez is o'brian 2.0
    You are right. The "main" problem is definitely not QB. But, we do need a backup QB in case Sanchez gets hurt. And our backup (McElroy) isn't allowed to play.

All Pro
    Stay on point.

This is a Tebow thread.

_
    I don't care Tebow is the QB we need with the first team.
    I've been saying this from day one Sanchez sucks instead of progress its regress, he also talks out the side of his mouth, anyone who talks from the side of their mouth has no sense of accomplishment. He'll never a champs QB

Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    In case you didn't notice Tebow was a better QB last night, he was victimized by drops. and on that TD he missed, bet you didn't see the ball tipped at the line along with poor protection the dude was a target. matter or fact Tebow didn't give up any TD he didn't throw an Int when we were about to score our first TD. I hope he gats to start soon.
    The missed TD to Hill wasn't tipped. The tipped pass was the one that fluttered like a duck.

On the pass to Hill, his body was turned down field, he was cross stepping to his right and he threw the ball across his body, off his left foot.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I like Barkley too, but I also liked Sanchez.

I actually like a lot of West Coast QBs. The spread option has yet to infect the Pac 10/12, except for Oregon and Utah.
    Kind of telling, isn't it, that the "infection" of Spread Option has led Oregon to the last 3 Conference titles ?

It's obvious to anyone that watched the game last night.

Admittedly, I am a huge Sanchez fan, and that pick was horrific, he cannot miss that throw, not in the flat like that. That has to be his last pick 6 this year, he can't continue to give points to the other team, and all us Sanchez defenders have readily admitted that he HAS to cut down on turnovers. As much as I'd like to see him return to 2009-2010 downfield throwing, I can live with a short passing game for 7 and 8 yards as long as he doesn't turn the ball over.

But it's obvious that Tim Tebow is not a legitimate NFL QB. Let him run the Wildcat/Spread Option a few times, but he can NOT be under center for any stretch of any game.

Tebowites complained we picked apart his ONE bad pass last week, and that was completely fair just as it's completely fair to pick apart Sanchez's awful INT this week.

But what of the REST of his passes this week?

Awful.

Even his first few completions--as nice as they may have looked--were on his first read and his windup and never-to-be-fixed delivery were cringe-worthy. I'm not saying the Sanchez haters shouldn't continue to hate Sanchez, and weren't cringing at Mark--this isn't a Sanchez thread.

But if you've ever watched any NFL football, it was painfully obvious that Tebow can NOT throw at a consistent enough level to play in this league. He looked like a high-schooler back there, and if you don't think so, you're either delusional or a Tebow Born Again Fanatic. I read somewhere here about his upside--he HAS no upside. The pass to a wide open Hill in the endzone was WORSE than his INT last week. His floater to the RB in the flat, his bounced passes, his inability to look past his first read--this guy is an awful QB. Nice guy, good WC QB, but not a legit NFL QB.

Honestly, did he ever look away from his primary read? Yeah, and when he did, everything broke down for him, he starts getting happy feet and immediately looks to run, and if he has a running game like last night, that spells a lot of loses. His drop-backs look tentative, and even on his called QB draw he looked tentative.

And can we please stop with how great he was in college and HS, how he was such a winner there--that is IRRELEVANT. This isn't the SEC, this is the NFL. And last year, as great as some want to portray him, he led the league in 3 and out's and the mirage of his miracle wins was the defense and a couple of massive FGs. Credit to the guy, he did pull off some miracle wins, but by-and-large, it was a myth fueled by fanaticism.

The guy cannot do the ONE thing it is imperative to be able to do in this league--and that's throw. And please stop with the fantasy that all he needs to do is fix his mechanics--they've been talking about fixing his mechanics since 10th grade. If he truly has the work ethic and fortitude that everyone says he has--then he would have fixed them by now.

He's NOT fixing them.

We need a legitimate NFL quality backup to Sanchez while Tebow runs his packages. He can NOT be the QB for any stretch of a game, much less a few games.

JMHO of course.

_
    NONSENSE

We have a backup QB. His name is Tim Tebow whether you like him or not. So get over yourself. He runs the wildcat, plays special teams, and has some involvement with the first string offense.

It was Sanchez that threw that HORRIBLE pick 6 last night, not Tebow. And speaking of that, if Sanchez continues this crap? He's going to get benched in favor of Tim Tebow.

If that happens? Everything will be fine. Why might you ask? Because the Jets FO will find out in short order that they must find another pocket passing QB.

In other words, the situation will take care of itself. The board will also never need your homeristic biased man lust for Sanchez acting as objectivity.