Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Tanny and the Offense -upgrades?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Tanny and the Offense -upgrades?

Simply put, no real upgrades were even attempted for this year to a bad offense last year. Dumb

QB - I don't think Sanchize sucks, but he is a question coming into the season. Tanny spends money and picks to bring in a QB who can't throw. Dumb

WR - a problem area, out goes Plex an in comes a guy who player WR in the wishbone. Upgrade for the future, but doesn't bring in much for NOW? dumb

TE - average receiving TE backed by guys who can't block or catch. No upgrade - dumb

RB - average group of role players. An upgrade was probably not feasible.

OL - last year provided ample evidence that hunter and Vlad could not be counted on to protect the QB. Did Tanny try to upgrade? Not really. Dumbest.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now they need a right tackle or someone will get hurt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get it. Fire Tanny. He sucks. You're so smart. No one else can see some of the points you've made.

BTW, Calvin Johnson and Stephen Hill came from the same college. FWIW.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Right now they need a right tackle or someone will get hurt.
    thats exactly whats gonna happen. my projection of a eight win season may be asking for too much

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He went and got Hill which was commendable. The fact that they did not find a replacement at RT and did not pick up a true blocking TE for this offense is a joke.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He went and got Hill which was commendable. The fact that they did not find a replacement at RT and did not pick up a true blocking TE for this offense is a joke.
    What's worse is the fact that waiver cuts will not bear a starting quality RT. It would mean the person didn't make the team as starter or back-up. Tanny will have to sacrifice more draft picks (or players).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find all of this very discouraging. Why would this FO and coaching staff put so much faith in a RT who is clearly overmatched against every quality DE he's faced?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    What's worse is the fact that waiver cuts will not bear a starting quality RT. It would mean the person didn't make the team as starter or back-up. Tanny will have to sacrifice more draft picks (or players).
    Yes, but remember a starter is a relative concept. A backup on a good team could be a starter on a bad one. So I wouldn't say all waiver cuts will be poor talent.

I'd look for some of the better OL teams (GB, Patriots, Cincinnati, Philadelphia) and see if a decent player becomes available. All we need is a JAG at RT and it would be an upgrade.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    We get it. Fire Tanny. He sucks. You're so smart. No one else can see some of the points you've made.

I think Hill was a good pick, but:
    1) he came from the wishbone
    2) WRs usually take a full year to develop.

Check out Megatron's stats from yr 1 to yr 2: they doubled!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I think Hill was a good pick, but:
    1) he came from the wishbone
    2) WRs usually take a full year to develop.

Check out Megatron's stats from yr 1 to yr 2: they doubled!
    We can have Joe Montana as the QB, and he's not going to get the ball downfield with the DE breathing down his neck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can have Joe Montana as the QB, and he's not going to get the ball downfield with the DE breathing down his neck.
    Exactly!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB - I don't think Sanchize sucks, but he is a question coming into the season. Tanny spends money and picks to bring in a QB who can't throw. Dumb
    I keep reading these insinuations that the Jets gave up serious value to bring in Tebow. The facts are we gave up very little and for what we gave up he has a lot of upside.

Disagree all you want, but first find me a coach or team Tebow has ever let down.

WR - a problem area, out goes Plex an in comes a guy who player WR in the wishbone. Upgrade for the future, but doesn't bring in much for NOW? dumb
    In the long run I think we'll be glad to have Hill and Jordan White on the Jets. I saw White's last college game, a random bowl game, and he put on one of the more impressive performances I've ever seen. I remember thinking, "boy I'd like him as a Jet" ...

TE - average receiving TE backed by guys who can't block or catch. No upgrade - dumb
    While Keller is a clown to pronounce himself an All-Pro, I don't think upgrading TE was a high priority.

RB - average group of role players. An upgrade was probably not feasible.
    Agreed.

OL - last year provided ample evidence that hunter and Vlad could not be counted on to protect the QB. Did Tanny try to upgrade? Not really. Dumbest.
    Agreed. Strongly.

I assumed that we'd improve the OL and thereby improve Mark Sanchez.

---------

With all the *****ing and moaning, we should stop to acknowledge that we're building a monster defense.

And what's the worst thing an offense can do to a good defense? A Sanchez Six.

I give some credence to the thought that the Jets are slyly building a team around Tebow, short term. No one can tell me he'll get sacked more or turn the ball over more disastrously than Sanchez. Sadly this is how we should decide the QB behind this historically bad OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I keep reading these insinuations that the Jets gave up serious value to bring in Tebow. The facts are we gave up very little and for what we gave up he has a lot of upside.

Disagree all you want, but first find me a coach or team Tebow has ever let down.

In the long run I think we'll be glad to have Hill and Jordan White on the Jets. I saw White's last college game, a random bowl game, and he put on one of the more impressive performances I've ever seen. I remember thinking, "boy I'd like him as a Jet" ...

While Keller is a clown to pronounce himself an All-Pro, I don't think upgrading TE was a high priority.

Agreed.

Agreed. Strongly.

I assumed that we'd improve the OL and thereby improve Mark Sanchez.

---------

With all the *****ing and moaning, we should stop to acknowledge that we're building a monster defense.

And what's the worst thing an offense can do to a good defense? A Sanchez Six.

I give some credence to the thought that the Jets are slyly building a team around Tebow, short term. No one can tell me he'll get sacked more or turn the ball over more disastrously than Sanchez. Sadly this is how we should decide the QB behind this historically bad OL.
    Plus Tebow has a ton more in the mental toughness dept. .... Remember the glazed look of Shanchez vs the Ravens last year?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree all you want, but first find me a coach or team Tebow has ever OL.
    that is simply not true? The money used to pay Tebow and Stanton would have gone a long way towards paying for a serviceable RT. thus, they gave up enormous value to get him.

There are plenty of great college QBs who can't play qb in the nfl. Tebow is one of them. He can't throw well enough.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is simply not true? The money used to pay Tebow and Stanton would have gone a long way towards paying for a serviceable RT. thus, they gave up enormous value to get him.

There are plenty of great college QBs who can't play qb in the nfl. Tebow is one of them. He can't throw well enough.
    You can say the same about any Jet on the team this year who wasn't on the team last year.

You can also say that despite last year's glaring weakness at RT we drafted 8 non-OL players.

You're going to blame it all on Tebow? Really?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can say the same about any Jet on the team this year who wasn't on the team last year.

You can also say that despite last year's glaring weakness at RT we drafted 8 non-OL players.

And technically no one will stop you from blaming it all on Tebow.
    no, I have been blaming Tanny for failing to add OL talent since we started last year with Vlad and two UDFAs (who got cut by their original teams) as the only backups. How they could go into this season without drafting high or signing someone is inexcusable.

But, Tebow wasn't free. We would have been better off with Stanton, the picks, and the money to spend on a tackle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calvin Johnson didn't play in the same offense that Hill did.

Paul Johnson and his triple option attack didn't show up at GaTech until 2008, Megatron was drafted in 2007. Demaryius Thomas is the comparison.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

So what? Two different coaches, two different systems. Calvin Johnson didn't play in a gimmick offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Calvin Johnson didn't play in the same offense that Hill did.

Paul Johnson and his triple option attack didn't show up at GaTech until 2008, Megatron was drafted in 2007. Demaryius Thomas is the comparison.
    You completely missed my point. While there are exceptions (Randy Moss), most WRs don't breakout in their rookie year. Look at the list of top nfl receivers from last year. Do you see a lot of rookies at the Top of the list?

It is not a knock on Hill to say 2013 should be his big year. Even guys coming from traditional offenses take a year to develop.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...2&d-447263-n=1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the only part of your post I was responding to.