Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad?

Think about it, and believe me I have a big concern with RT and to a less of a degree WR. BUT, aside from no game planning and very limited play calling we have yet to see what is probably the major upgrade we made to the offence, the wildcat. Not a huge fan of Tebow, but at very least teams are going to have to game plan for it and I think there will definitely be some new wrinkles that defences have yet to see in the past.
    Right now RT is what it is last year, but I think something is in the works.
    Are we worse off at WR then last season? I don't believe we are if we are healthy. Burress caught some short TD's but didn't help us get into the red zone, hell he couldn't even get himself off the LOS. Is Hill better? That we don't know, but he does have more upside. Schillens is most likely not going to give us much, but I like Jordan White, seems he could be an effective 3rd down possession guy.
    Powell gave us nothing last year and looked pretty good last night.
    Cumberland can't block but is a receiving option we also didn't have last year.

The defense is WAY improved. D-line looks nasty and Landry/Bell is a huge improvement over Smith/Leonard.
    LB'S are the same although Scott looks a step faster, possibly being pushed by Davis?

All in all, its pre-season.. Last year we were 8-8 and had a tougher schedule. RT gets fixed and I see atleast a ten win season.

It is only preseason, and it can still be salvaged. Chances are that it won't be, and we're in for nail biters week in and week out.

RT. They should be thinking nothing else except this.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    but I like Jordan White, seems he could be an effective 3rd down possession guy.
    Me too. Here's his highlights from a bowl game vs. Purdue...

Watched nearly the whole game on TV, announcers hyped him up the whole game and he overdelivered. Purdue's gameplan was basically to stop White.

It's a nice watch with a decent song accompanying. Very glad to have this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiVZYffDE_Y

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    It is only preseason, and it can still be salvaged. Chances are that it won't be, and we're in for nail biters week in and week out.

I wont be biting nails..lack of management commitment has caused me to lose real interest.

Nail biters week in and week out?!

If we continue to play like we did last night we'll get clobbered each and every game. Only nail biters we'll have will be against the worst teams on our schedule.

They are and have been aware....

With Otah no longer an option, attention turned to Hunter, who is due a guaranteed $2.45 million this season. Tannenbaum said he has "done well" but also praised the play of tackle Austin Howard.

"There's going to be competition from within, as well as on the streets," Tannenbaum said. "We're encouraged by Austin Howard. Look, it's early in camp, but there's some encouragement there. I think we've identified teams that have some depth, and sometimes these things take a while. But I think Wayne's done a good job, and Austin, in particular, has done better than we thought he would."

Tannenbaum hasn't praised Hunter as effusively as has offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who said two months ago that Hunter would be the starting right tackle "until they shoot me dead in my office."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ckle-1.3873971

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

If we continue to play like we did last night we'll get clobbered each and every game. Only nail biters we'll have will be against the worst teams on our schedule.
    Would you rather have the 5-0 1992 preseason Jet team??

Hall Of Fame
    I think the reason everyone has seemed to be more worried than normal is that arguably the biggest concern this off season was the RT position, and what happened with in 3 plays? Hunter get beat bad and continues to get beat while he is in there. It didnt take 3 minutes for him to be abused out there, the Giants were not even blitzing, he was abused in every sense of the word. Combine that with bad play from the rest of the offense and you have people being very concerned, and rightfully so.

Seriously, everyone is being ultra dramatic....

How much would just average play from RT change the team, forget about Holmes, Kerley, just average play from RT?

Kareem McKenzie? Possible trade? Cuts?

I am pretty confident we can get an average RT and will. Don't forget, Hunter was being shopped this offseason, something will be in the works, I just think they didn't want to overpay in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    NO ****! Almost wish they didn't televise the damn things...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    No one is concerned with the final score of the game, its how the team is playing.

It's gonna get real bad real fast if Sanchez doesn't figure out how to move the ball past the opposing 50 yd line. Hunter should have been kicked to the curb last season. Rex needs to explain why he's still here killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    No one is concerned with the final score of the game, its how the team is playing.

I think the reason everyone has seemed to be more worried than normal is that arguably the biggest concern this off season was the RT position, and what happened with in 3 plays? Hunter get beat bad and continues to get beat while he is in there. It didnt take 3 minutes for him to be abused out there, the Giants were not even blitzing, he was abused in every sense of the word. Combine that with bad play from the rest of the offense and you have people being very concerned, and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    They are and have been aware....

With Otah no longer an option, attention turned to Hunter, who is due a guaranteed $2.45 million this season. Tannenbaum said he has "done well" but also praised the play of tackle Austin Howard.

"There's going to be competition from within, as well as on the streets," Tannenbaum said. "We're encouraged by Austin Howard. Look, it's early in camp, but there's some encouragement there. I think we've identified teams that have some depth, and sometimes these things take a while. But I think Wayne's done a good job, and Austin, in particular, has done better than we thought he would."

Tannenbaum hasn't praised Hunter as effusively as has offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who said two months ago that Hunter would be the starting right tackle "until they shoot me dead in my office."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...ckle-1.3873971
    I hope Tannenbaum engineers a trade for one of these backup OL instead of having us fight for the guy with a bunch of other teams after he gets cut. Even if it costs us a draft pick (which I loathe to give up). Because without an upgrade to Hunter I think this season is tanked.

The team still good, defensively. Most games will be decided in the fourth quarter.

In preseason, when there is no gameplanning to obfuscate things, talent carries the day.

We're not a talented football team on offense. We need to have something schemed up in order to put points on the board. Our guys can't just go out on the field and beat the man across from them.

Greene vs. a LB is a loss for us. Same goes for Turner, Hill, and White when matched up with NFL-caliber starting corners (Hill should be able to beat guys with his deep speed, but he still has a lot to work on).

Keller has an edge on LBs. Matchups with safeties are close to a draw.

Holmes is the only guy that is going to consistently beat his man, and he hasn't been on the field. Come regular season, teams will be putting 2 guys on him, and that's not a matchup that he's going to win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I judge by the games that count not the one's where the full squad is not playing.. Did the O-line look bad? On that we can agree on..

Umm like Miami and Buffalo twice, Indy, Jacksonville, St.Louis,Tenn and Arizona? That's nine right there! lol