Thread: Young Players

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Young Players

I missed the second half last night....

How did Allen, Demario, Dowtin, Bilal etc look.

Anything good from our youngsters?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't really notice Davis and Dowtin (did he even play?)

I saw Allen constantly around the ball though, he looks like he can play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples and Allen look to be the real deal. I like j white as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples and Allen look like they have serious talent.

I think Jordan White is a lock to make the team and get significant playtime time. Kerley's spot as the #3 is far from secure.

Powell is a practice superstar and a primetime ghost.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just watched a couple of second half defensive series, and Ellis looked like he was dominating people. He was getting a huge push on pass rushes, and was immovable on running plays. Looks like he is going to turn out to be a steal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I just watched a couple of second half defensive series, and Ellis looked like he was dominating people. He was getting a huge push on pass rushes, and was immovable on running plays. Looks like he is going to turn out to be a steal.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Believe me, Im as unhappy about hunter/the offense as anyone, but its the preseason, so Im trying not to get too ridiculous, so appreciate the responses. The thing I don't get is, how is it remotely possible that he didn't get TE help against JPP? That was something I criticized schotty for, and saw it again....how is that matchup allowed?

Did Allen get time with the 1's? Or was he just playing against the 2nd and 3rd team offense?

Im actually not worried about kerley at all. There is a good chance rex needed to criticize someone as an "example" of him not being such a players coach and chose kerley. He looked great last year and I think he will be ok for opening day.

Its definitely possible there is no way dowtin can contribute this year so theres also no reason to play him chance him being taken off our PS.

I hear nothing but good things about coples, which makes is so frustrating to actually see a "fire tanny" thread.

Is there a chance powell needs more time with the first team offense? He isn't afraid of contact (his blitz pickup), can catch the ball, etc....im surprised he hasn't been good in these games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and great to see Ellis getting all this time and doing well. Yet another positive of tannenbaums drafting. Hopefully his role is still secondary to pouha for another season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    looked to me like Ellis was playing well even in the first half before I turned the horror off in disgust before halftime

After my nausea goes away, I plan to watch the NFL rewind compressed version (reduces the sickness to only 60 minutes) and see if my initial impressions were correct or not

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    looked to me like Ellis was playing well even in the first half before I turned the horror off in disgust before halftime

After my nausea goes away, I plan to watch the NFL rewind compressed version (reduces the sickness to only 60 minutes) and see if my initial impressions were correct or not
    I already deleted that abortion from my DVR. No way I want to see any of that ever again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Powell is a practice superstar and a primetime ghost.
    I'm surprised McKnight didn't see time with the #1s last night. I don't recall seeing him out there much at RB at all. I think he is more talented than Powell.

It's strange because McKnight's our most explosive RB, perhaps offensive player. We really need a big year out of him. Hoping to see lots of screens and plays to get him out in space and hopefully soften the pass rush.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it was just me, but I thought Powell looked decent. Certainly in the 2nd half against the 2's, he seemed to have some decent runs. Meanwhile, every time I saw McKnight (even against the 2's), he didn't do anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't see much of Dowtin or Davis , seen a lot of Bellore. ST only suits him well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Oh, and great to see Ellis getting all this time and doing well. Yet another positive of tannenbaums drafting. Hopefully his role is still secondary to pouha for another season.
    I hope he overcomes Pouha. I think if he can bring his game up even more ,he can bring more to the d line then Pouha. Ellis moves the line better then Pouha.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Believe me, Im as unhappy about hunter/the offense as anyone, but its the preseason, so Im trying not to get too ridiculous, so appreciate the responses. The thing I don't get is, how is it remotely possible that he didn't get TE help against JPP? That was something I criticized schotty for, and saw it again....how is that matchup allowed?
    The answer was the Jets were being "vanilla" on offense. I guess they didn't care about potentially losing their starting QB for the season in the name of not tipping teams on how they might have a TE assist with blocking duties. I'm sure they have some fantastic never before seen method of TE's blocking that no team or coach has ever thought of, so it's all worth it of course!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    I hope he overcomes Pouha. I think if he can bring his game up even more ,he can bring more to the d line then Pouha. Ellis moves the line better then Pouha.
    I agree. I'm not a fan of pouha at all. I know people say he's a top nt, but he's not even half the player a healthy jenkins was. I want Ellis rotated in this year and hopefully next year he's ready to play with the big boys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I agree. I'm not a fan of pouha at all. I know people say he's a top nt, but he's not even half the player a healthy jenkins was. I want Ellis rotated in this year and hopefully next year he's ready to play with the big boys.
    I dont see the lack of support for Pouha. We just signed him to a decent sized contract and his abilities in run support are excellent.

Personally I want to see ellis as an interior lineman in pass rushing situations. He can occupy gaps/2 blockers which helps set up other 1 on 1 matchups and also helps out blitz. Also, he is very tall for a DT/NT and can certainly push the pocket and get his hands up which should also help move the QB back and hopefully into maybin or coples coming off the edge.