Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Before you can go to the top you have to hit bottom

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Pittsburgh, Giants, Pats, Green Bay ..all win.

The recipe is clear yet JETS management acts like they know better.
    what you posted is what alot of jet fans are always scratching their head at.. these franchises and not to mention the league rules currently lay out the blueprint in most cases for success. yet year after year this team fails to notice.

So which college QBs should I be scouting? I would like to find a QB that can see over the line of scrimmage which would allow passes in the middle of the field.
    If we're going to hit rock bottom...might as well shoot for middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Are you a patriot fan posing as a jet fan who uses the name of a patriot coach as a user name?
    I wish I were a Pats fan as I would be celebrating instead of reaching for ant acids on game day. The many cold days from Shea to Giants Stadium in the stands and the number of Jet jerseys indicate that I am a long suffering Jets fan. While I hate the patsies I do admire what they have done and how many trophies they have as compared to this team which is long long long overdue to reward all the loyal the Jet fans who have paid hard earned money only to see a circus of events

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Do you two overreact much? 3-6 wins? That's a little over the top.

So long as the defense is there, the Jets will be somewhere near a .500 team. 7-9 wins can easily happen.
    So ???? 7 wins? Id rather win 10 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    So which college QBs should I be scouting? I would like to find a QB that can see over the line of scrimmage which would allow passes in the middle of the field.
    If we're going to hit rock bottom...might as well shoot for middle Earth.
    We gotta go for broke with Matt Barkley. He's gonna be the #1 overall pick. Winning 8-6 games means we stay at status quo. Changes needs to be made.

We also gotta scout for a new GM and HC.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Are you a patriot fan posing as a jet fan who uses the name of a patriot coach as a user name?
    Embarrassing, even for a Patsie troll like yourself who trolls like a respectable troll should....lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    We gotta go for broke with Matt Barkley. He's gonna be the #1 overall pick. Winning 8-6 games means we stay at status quo. Changes needs to be made.

We also gotta scout for a new GM and HC.
    Please tell me you are joking. You must be. A USC QB? really?

next your gonna tell me we need another Haitan lineman?

It's this simple:

This is a passing league. The Giants are a perfect archetype to go by:

1) Terrible secondary, great pass rush on defense. Linebackers are largely awful, too. But when you are basically 6 deep with Pro Bowl-level pass rushers, you can do enough for

2) Your Pro-Bowl QB. Outside of Nicks, their WR's are relatively pedestrian. Their O-line is strong, which lets a slightly above average RB like Bradshaw be effective when needed and keeps a defense honest. Eli is a top 3-5 QB at this point. I've argued many times that without a QB like that, you are boned. Sanchez hasn't turned into that and surrounding him with what they have the past two years at RT and skill positions, you can make a very strong argument that he's probably gone after next year. Tebow's not even close to the answer when/if he's gone.

3) Great scouting and drafting, something we haven't done. At all.

The issues start with the scheme (Ground and Pound is against what has been winning the past few Super Bowls), but the complete and utter ignorance of Right Tackle as a hole is going kill this squad.

I don't know what the cap situation is looking like, but this year doesn't bode well so far based on what we've seen.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 08-20-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Please tell me you are joking. You must be. A USC QB? really?

next your gonna tell me we need another Haitan lineman?
    I don't subscribe to the logic that _____ school will never produce a good prospect because X player failed for us.

Barkley's legit. He was the #1 QB coming out of HS. Beat out everybody at USC and started his freshman year and has progressively gotten better each year. He's had the spotlight on him since his freshman year in HS (where he started QB as a freshman at Mater Dei in CA --big time football school) and has kept his focus all the way through.

There is no such thing as a "sure thing", but this kid has the work ethic and drive to be successful. Mark's problem was that he was given way too much way too soon. He only started one year at USC, got drafted to play for the biggest city in the world, and became an uber celebrity. And to make matters worse, our coaching staff didn't make him earn his spot at a starting QB and his HC acts like he's got a man-crush on him. I can see why this kid's head is up in the clouds.

I don't subscribe to the logic that _____ school will never produce a good prospect because X player failed for us.

Barkley's legit. He was the #1 QB coming out of HS. Beat out everybody at USC and started his freshman year and has progressively gotten better each year. He's had the spotlight on him since his freshman year in HS (where he started QB as a freshman at Mater Dei in CA --big time football school) and has kept his focus all the way through.

There is no such thing as a "sure thing", but this kid has the work ethic and drive to be successful. Mark's problem was that he was given way too much way too soon. He only started one year at USC, got drafted to play for the biggest city in the world, and became an uber celebrity. And to make matters worse, our coaching staff didn't make him earn his spot at a starting QB and his HC acts like he's got a man-crush on him. I can see why this kid's head is up in the clouds.

NO USC QB'S. And it's not just because of Sanchez:

Leinart
    Palmer (one good year, really)
    Marinovich
    Matt Cassell
    Rob Johnson
    Sanchez so far

There's others.

If you really want to dig deep, there may be no worse conference in the NCAA to draft ANYTHING out of. The list of PAC-12 Busts is terrifying.

No way in hell should they draft Barkley. Let somebody else blow the first pick on another USC guy. He's simply not worth it, assuming we're bad enough to get the first pick (God I hope not).

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    NO USC QB'S. And it's not just because of Sanchez:

Leinart
    Palmer (one good year, really)
    Marinovich
    Matt Cassell
    Rob Johnson
    Sanchez so far

There's others.

If you really want to dig deep, there may be no worse conference in the NCAA to draft ANYTHING out of. The list of PAC-12 Busts is terrifying.

No way in hell should they draft Barkley. Let somebody else blow the first pick on another USC guy. He's simply not worth it, assuming we're bad enough to get the first pick (God I hope not).
    The PAC 12 has also produced John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, and some other pretty good QBs over the years.

Carson was on his way, but his knee injury torpedoed his career. Leinart is similar to Sanchez in that they're all glitz and glamour. Barkley seems like he's got the head to deal with being in the spotlight.

I'd rather take Barkley than Wilson.

The PAC 12 has also produced John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, and some other pretty good QBs over the years.

Carson was on his way, but his knee injury torpedoed his career. Leinart is similar to Sanchez in that they're all glitz and glamour. Barkley seems like he's got the head to deal with being in the spotlight.

I'd rather take Barkley than Wilson.
    I wouldn't take either.

I'd bide time until Holmes' contract is cuttable then look for a complete top to bottom makeover with a veteran game manager in the mean time. Odds are you won't get the first pick, anyway. We play Miami and Buffalo twice every year.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I wouldn't take either.

I'd bide time until Holmes' contract is cuttable then look for a complete top to bottom makeover with a veteran game manager in the mean time. Odds are you won't get the first pick, anyway. We play Miami and Buffalo twice every year.
    What if we have one of the top two picks next year?

Veteran
    As the only team in preseason w/o a TD, i'd say we've hit bottom. My hope for us making the playoffs is gone, so this should be easier to muster than Mangini's last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Before you can go to the top you have to hit bottom
    Yeah....I guess..

So we're kinda like the Titanic?

They ain't raising that sumb!tch either!

Veteran

You used the phrase I wanted to hear. Barkley's legit. Now let me finish it.
    Barkley is as legit as ball fungus. We all know it exists and we don't want it.
    Enough with the over hyped Qb's from the pac 17 or whatever they are now. Everyone of them come into the league and fail.
    If we draft a QB next year that's NOT Tyler Wilson, we're wasting a pick. Of course wasting picks is what GM Xmas Tree is best at. Except for Coples and Davis, ALL of our picks from this year seem wasted. Verdicts not in yet on Hill and White.

the jets have not hit rock bottom... why do people think that it's easier to blow up a team and start over then try and improve an 8-8 team?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Before you can go to the top, you need to have an offensive line that doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The only things I don't understand are why we didn't get someone to compete at RT, why we guaranteed Hunter's salary
    Just to be clear, his contract always said that his $2.5M this year was guaranteed unless he was cut within 3 days of the superbowl. So we didn't have a choice of keeping him with an un-guaranteed number - we could either cut him or guarantee him.

Still a terrible decision, but not quite as incomprehensible as if we changed his contract to make it guaranteed.

I can't beleive you guys want a new QB already! Matt Barkley! You think he can win the bums on this team. Mangold is VERY good. Everyone else is decent but doesn't scare anyone. Bilal Powell! Please. Shon Green is good but he needs a better line and ACTUAL WR's. Stephen Hill will not be a legit all around WR for another year. He will definately make plays this year. But hes not a true # 1 for a couple more years. Holmes is a solid two. Keller is good. Other than that, Tanny and REx have failed the Jets offense. It's almost criminal to go into the season with Hunter as a starter!