Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Replace Hunter at right tackle -- now(merged Hunter)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    Ray Ray, wake up and smell the stench coming from our RT. The gloom and doom comments are adding nothing to the forum? Have you seen the Jets play so far this preseason? The offense is putrid and our o-line is the biggest reason why. The RT position will be the downfall of this team this season if the Jets do not make a change in personnel. Hunter is killing this team and getting Mark killed in the process. Yes, it's gloom and doom time! There are options - not good ones, but options nonetheless. It's time for Tanny and Rex to act.

The players spent the offseason learning how new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s protection schemes are called. The preseason is about getting timing and continuity down, left guard Matt Slauson said.

Scheming for the opponent, which the Jets did not do for the Giants, could put the linemen in better positions to block the pass rush. But Moore was not buying into any excuses.

Whether the offense is vanilla or exotic, he said, the unit has to be efficient. Saturday night must be used as a learning experience.
    “Sometimes it’s good — maybe not as bad as it was (Saturday night) — to see that you’re not all that, and realize that you’ve got to put in the work to be ready to have a consistent season,” Moore said. “Everybody understands that we’ve got a lot of work to do, and we’ve got to do it quickly.”

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=246548

Not defending the OL play but let's remember it's preseason....And my guess is the Jets will be picking up/acquiring a RT between now and week 2...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Sure, but you're also looking at spending top RT money on a guy who has played his entire career in a zone blocking scheme when we're transitioning away from that to a gap scheme. He likely still would have been better than Wayne but the contract would have been an overpay for what we run.

It's something people would have *****ed about regarding cap space a year from now.
    And Tanny didn't have a crystal ball to know Winston was going to be available...Gotta love armchair GMs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The players spent the offseason learning how new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s protection schemes are called. The preseason is about getting timing and continuity down, left guard Matt Slauson said.

Scheming for the opponent, which the Jets did not do for the Giants, could put the linemen in better positions to block the pass rush. But Moore was not buying into any excuses.

Whether the offense is vanilla or exotic, he said, the unit has to be efficient. Saturday night must be used as a learning experience.
    “Sometimes it’s good — maybe not as bad as it was (Saturday night) — to see that you’re not all that, and realize that you’ve got to put in the work to be ready to have a consistent season,” Moore said. “Everybody understands that we’ve got a lot of work to do, and we’ve got to do it quickly.”

Not defending the OL play but let's remember it's preseason....And my guess is the Jets will be picking up/acquiring a RT between now and week 2...
    I can understand if they're missing blocking assignments and if there's come confusion... those are just mistakes.

They aren't making too many of those. Hunter is just straight up getting abused in 1-on-1 situations and it's got nothing to do with scheme. He's simply inadequate and that's not a correctable problem.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

The worst pre-season? Um no, our defense has been very good.
    +1

The fact that Sanchez isn't worried and has more faith in what he sees at practice is a stronger indicator than the unplanned vanilla on display the past two games.

Note: the Jets' last two 4-12 seasons came after 3-1 preseasons.

I'm hoping Sparano instructed the O to not demo their true speed, save it for real games, and go home healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You are correct. I think people were wishing to see a different Jet offense than last year, some signs that things might be different and better. Instead it looks like the same play calls, the same deficiencies in the line, the same lack of play makers, and the same critical mistakes by Sanchez. But realistically were we expecting too much? What did they add to this offense? A second round rookie WR.....that is basically it. Maybe we were way too optimistic, I guess we will find out in the weeks to come.
    They have yet to run 1 wildcat play...If this was the regular season do you think they would go 2 straight weeks without calling 1 WC play...

They didn't game plan..Everyone has said it..

Sunday, August 19, 2012, 9:48 PM

The power running game is supposed to be the staple of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system.

“Obviously that’s an area where we pride ourselves in, but we don’t game plan against these teams,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “So they were throwing out some stuff that we hadn’t seen so far against some our new short-yardage runs.”

Slauson admitted that the Jets are experimenting with an array of offensive calls. When Week 1 rolls around, Slauson maintained, Sparano will purge some plays that haven’t been particularly successful in the preseason and highlight others that have had good early returns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1139906

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have yet to run 1 wildcat play...If this was the regular season do you think they would go 2 straight weeks without calling 1 WC play...

They didn't game plan..Everyone has said it..

Sunday, August 19, 2012, 9:48 PM

The power running game is supposed to be the staple of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system.

“Obviously that’s an area where we pride ourselves in, but we don’t game plan against these teams,” left guard Matt Slauson said. “So they were throwing out some stuff that we hadn’t seen so far against some our new short-yardage runs.”

Slauson admitted that the Jets are experimenting with an array of offensive calls. When Week 1 rolls around, Slauson maintained, Sparano will purge some plays that haven’t been particularly successful in the preseason and highlight others that have had good early returns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1139906
    Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, I'm agreeing that it is concerning... But I'm also saying that the plays were called with a lesser notion of being successful, and more of a notion of trying to evaluate the mettle of the team and set the stage of what the coaching staff wants, and the kind of physical mentality Sparano and his staff are trying to build this offense this year.

Teams experiment and test their players all the time the pre-season, that is what the pre-season is for, we shouldn't rush to judgement and jump of a cliff about our season based on a couple of plays like this that don't work in the pre-season. All I'm saying...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Tanny didn't have a crystal ball to know Winston was going to be available...Gotta love armchair GMs
    You don't have to necessarily know who will specifically be available.

It's a matter of knowing that you have a RT who is 31 years old who has been in the league for 9 years and has not shown any improvement. So what do you do? You guarantee his 2012 money at $2.5M? Is that what you do? Or do you cut bait and know that you have 5-6 months to replace him either through the draft, through trade or via FA. It wouldn't have been the first time a team cuts a player without a replacement on the roster. Especially when there's several months to find one. Enough with the snarky comments.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

C Mart, Hunter was terrible in this game. Just as he was all of last year. Maybe worse, if that's possible. The Jets defense should be great this year. The offense has a chance to be good enough to get this team into the playoffs, but only if there is some improvement at RT. Getting Holmes and Kerley back will help the offense. If Chaz can stay healthy, he'll help the offense. But none of those receivers will help if our QB spends all day getting hammered or running for his life play after play.

Scheme or not, the team should be able to protect the QB long enough for a play to actually develop. Sanchez does need to progress through his reads better, but again, without some protection that becomes wishful thinking. As others have already stated, the offense looks outmatched. Cincy and the Giants defense was not scheming either. These are one on one matches and we are losing them - especially at RT (Giants game in particular).

I've been a Jets fan a very long time. My optimism usually outweighs our talent. But we have a giant hole (no pun intended) that needs to be fixed and it's at RT. If we pick someone up in week 2, how long will it be before they can be productive in this offense? How long before they understand the offense and blocking schemes? Either allow one of the other tackles (Heyer or Howard) to get more first team snaps (Howard looked better against Cincy than Hunter against the Giants) to see if they are capable replacements or bring in an older player like McKenzie to hold the spot until we can draft an adequate tackle in 2013. Just my opinion.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

It's a matter of knowing that you have a RT who is 31 years old who has been in the league for 9 years and has not shown any improvement. So what do you do? You guarantee his 2012 money at $2.5M? Is that what you do? Or do you cut bait and know that you have 5-6 months to replace him either through the draft, through trade or via FA. It wouldn't have been the first time a team cuts a player without a replacement on the roster. Especially when there's several months to find one. Enough with the snarky comments.
    The weird thing is, right after Hunter was signed....Tanny started shopping him around the league (I believe it started at the combine). Why not just get rid of him without wasting cap space?

I used to be a big believer in Tanny, but now i finding myself questioning his decisions a lot more lately.

Manish Mehta just tweeted saying that there is interest in Kareem McKenzie. That's not a fix, KM is just as awful. Tanny really f*cked the dog this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damien Woody ‏@damienwoody
    Good OL don't just shake free from teams...they're a commodity

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    +1

The fact that Sanchez isn't worried and has more faith in what he sees at practice is a stronger indicator than the unplanned vanilla on display the past two games.

Note: the Jets' last two 4-12 seasons came after 3-1 preseasons.

I'm hoping Sparano instructed the O to not demo their true speed, save it for real games, and go home healthy.
    Now we're pushing it a little. I agree that we're definitely saving some formations (i.e. not displaying them), running "vanilla plays" without significant guard-pulling, complex WR routes, etc. And, maybe we're running at 90% speed on some plays....but there's no way the Jets are playing anything less than 100% when blocking a passrusher! You simply don't do it or you could get your QB injured.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexJet View Post
    C Mart, Hunter was terrible in this game. Just as he was all of last year. Maybe worse, if that's possible. The Jets defense should be great this year. The offense has a chance to be good enough to get this team into the playoffs, but only if there is some improvement at RT. Getting Holmes and Kerley back will help the offense. If Chaz can stay healthy, he'll help the offense. But none of those receivers will help if our QB spends all day getting hammered or running for his life play after play.

Scheme or not, the team should be able to protect the QB long enough for a play to actually develop. Sanchez does need to progress through his reads better, but again, without some protection that becomes wishful thinking. As others have already stated, the offense looks outmatched. Cincy and the Giants defense was not scheming either. These are one on one matches and we are losing them - especially at RT (Giants game in particular).

I've been a Jets fan a very long time. My optimism usually outweighs our talent. But we have a giant hole (no pun intended) that needs to be fixed and it's at RT. If we pick someone up in week 2, how long will it be before they can be productive in this offense? How long before they understand the offense and blocking schemes? Either allow one of the other tackles (Heyer or Howard) to get more first team snaps (Howard looked better against Cincy than Hunter against the Giants) to see if they are capable replacements or bring in an older player like McKenzie to hold the spot until we can draft an adequate tackle in 2013. Just my opinion.
    I'm saying week 2 because if they sign a vet, maybe a McKenzie or Otah and they don't have it they can be cut without their salary guaranteed for the season...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does he mean they're not a commodity?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which is why you have to take on a aging player like McKenzie. He isn't great but can he be more reliable than Hunter? Considering hes been a starter for a long time in this league I am willing to bet his game is much more consistent than Hunter, he won't get spun around like Hunter does.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

There are a couple flaws in what you are saying....

First off, letting hunter go early in 2012 would have forced our hand when it came to the draft. Most successful teams dont draft for need, they draft the BPA and fill holes later. Would you rather been forced to pass on Hill or demario davis, knowing that we only had 1 RT possibility in Howard on the roster?

How many successful trades have you seen work out in the NFL that didnt involve draft picks? Its very hard to trade for quality players because they are so hard to find in the leauge.

Look, Hunter was MANHANDLED saturday, it was disgusting but guaranteeing his salary, given the landscape at RT, and the fact that $2.5 isnt that much, is far from a disasterous move by Tanny. What would this board look like if he cut hunter, went after Winston and lost out on him to KC, and Howard started teh first 2 games and sprained his ankle???? People here would be up in arms that we didnt have the depth and we needed to keep Hunter.

We need to start Howard, move Hunter to the backup role he is suited for, and starting using TE help (preferably with a better blocking TE that we find when cuts start), moving the pocket, rolling sanchez out, and go from there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Vrentas: Rex Ryan won't commit to Wayne Hunter as opening-day starting right tackle

With less than three weeks until the season opener against Buffalo, coach Rex Ryan won't commit to Wayne Hunter as the Jets' starting right tackle.

"We’re committing to putting a good football team on the field and competition not just at the right tackle spot, but there is competition throughout," the Jets coach said in his morning press conference today.

Ryan added: "To sit back and say this guy is definitely the starter, I'm not ready to do that. Maybe with Darrelle Revis, and Brandon Moore, Nick Mangold. But is it a slam dunk 100 percent? I like to see guys compete and earn their jobs out there."

Hunter had a rough night against the Giants in Saturday's preseason game, playing a role in all three sacks of Mark Sanchez, and a fourth nullified by a phantom penalty. Hunter was beat by both Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul.

Hunter, whose $2.45 million base salary is guaranteed, has been dealing with a tight back and missed the first preseason game at Cincinnati. Behind him on the depth chart is Austin Howard, who has shown impressive flashes but is still raw.

"We'll see," Ryan said, when asked if Howard could get some reps with the first-team offensive line against Carolina Sunday.

Ryan sidestepped a question on if the Jets will bring in someone else if Hunter doesn't pick his game up.

"We've got to get better, and it's not just Wayne Hunter," Ryan said. "All of us across the board have got to pick our game up. Were there some glaring mistakes? Well, when you are isolated one-on-one sometimes against one of the premier pass rushers in the game, it becomes clear when you make a mistake.

Ryan added: "He did some good things in the game as well but some of his mistakes were pretty evident. I just think, (if) we get back to our fundamentals, we'll be fine."

Ryan expects WRs Santonio Holmes (ribs/back), Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) and Chaz Schilens (ankle) to be on the practice field today, but he's not sure how much they'll do. He said they may do individual drills and wear red non-contact pinnies.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._to_wayne.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Does he mean they're not a commodity?
    LOL. Porkbellies!!

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    There are a couple flaws in what you are saying....

First off, letting hunter go early in 2012 would have forced our hand when it came to the draft. Most successful teams dont draft for need, they draft the BPA and fill holes later. Would you rather been forced to pass on Hill or demario davis, knowing that we only had 1 RT possibility in Howard on the roster?

How many successful trades have you seen work out in the NFL that didnt involve draft picks? Its very hard to trade for quality players because they are so hard to find in the leauge.

Look, Hunter was MANHANDLED saturday, it was disgusting but guaranteeing his salary, given the landscape at RT, and the fact that $2.5 isnt that much, is far from a disasterous move by Tanny. What would this board look like if he cut hunter, went after Winston and lost out on him to KC, and Howard started teh first 2 games and sprained his ankle???? People here would be up in arms that we didnt have the depth and we needed to keep Hunter.

We need to start Howard, move Hunter to the backup role he is suited for, and starting using TE help (preferably with a better blocking TE that we find when cuts start), moving the pocket, rolling sanchez out, and go from there.
    Sorry not buying it, Hunter is so bad he should not even be on a roster. We could have cut hunter and signed a free agent before the draft or just looked at the players we had. There is no such thing as a good backup if the guy is not even close to starting quality. You have to be able to at least cope out there which Hunter has shown he can't.

Any plan that excuses the front office for any reason for not addressing RT in the off season is a FAIL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    SIGN KAREEM MCKENZIE!!

Yes hes probably not a great player, but he won't get embarrassed like Hunter does. I remember him being a good run blocker as well, smart veteran player. Sign him as a stop gap for this season.
    I don't want him. He jumped ship to the Giants, got his ring and now we're supposed to take him back? No thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    I don't want him. He jumped ship to the Giants, got his ring and now we're supposed to take him back? No thanks.
    Yes, its a business. If the Jets had paid him I'm sure he would have stayed, they thought they had a replacement in Adrian Jones.