Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Replace Hunter at right tackle -- now(merged Hunter)

For once I agree completely with Cimini. This needs to be rectified ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    About the only chance was Eric Winston and he got $6m per from KC... Out of our price range.
    Shouldn't have guaranteed Hunter's salary after the season.

Cut Hunter and Eric Smith, sign Winston. Easy.

Everyone on here knew that Hunter and Smith should have been cut after they way they played last year. We kept both and guaranteed Hunter's salary. That's terrible management by the FO.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    For once I agree completely with Cimini. This needs to be rectified ASAP.
    Start throwing out realistic names and the cost of obtaining i.e. draft pick.

Kareem McKenzie or Chad Clifton need to be in Florham Park tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Shouldn't have guaranteed Hunter's salary after the season.

Cut Hunter and Eric Smith, sign Winston. Easy.

Everyone on here knew that Hunter and Smith should have been cut after they way they played last year. We kept both and guaranteed Hunter's salary. That's terrible management by the FO.
    Yeah its easy now. Nobody knew Winston was going to be cut loose in mid-march.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yeah its easy now. Nobody knew Winston was going to be cut loose in mid-march.
    Hunter and Smith should have been cut regardless of what the plan was going forward.

Neither of them had any guaranteed money coming their way and both were on the books for $2M. They are terrible football players. There was no reason to keep them on the roster.

Powell and Ducasse are young, I understand keeping them on the roster because they can improve. Hunter and Smith are what they are: terrible. There was no reason to keep them on the roster. Guaranteeing Hunter's salary? I have no idea what the rationale was behind that. "He'll get better." Based on what? He's 31 years old.

You wouldn't have cut them specifically to sign Winston, you would have cut them to free up cap space and gain roster flexibility. Flexibility that you then could have used to sign Winston or some other player that became available.
    Last edited by JB1089; 08-19-2012 at 11:36 PM.

I want to give Hunter the benefit of the doubt, his first game of the year, dealing with a back problem, not easy for anybody, much less an OL'n battling against 300+ for 3 hours...

But...

This needs to be fixed asap, one more week might not be enough. The OL performance was bad, as was the communication in blitz coverages, the RB's did a horrible job, especially McKnight, which explains why Powell is getting more playing time, he looked decent.

But the OL, TE, and RB MUST improve the pass protection, it's our biggest weakness...

Fix the OL and protection issues, and the offense will be fine.

Not at all worried about Sanchez, he had no time, no protection, and no weapons. The media will spin it, the chicken littles will fret, but the problem this pre-season has been the performance of the OL and pass protection as a whole.

Holmes and Schilens need to get back asap, Kerley too.

they should call vernon carey try talking him out of retirement

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    So if it was mentioned who's going to trade a quality OT how could Tanny have addressed it sooner?
    at this point in time the options are very limited.

but they could've tried to get something done over the past 6 months. maybe they did, who knows?

the thing is Wayne Hunter looked even worse than we all feared.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I want to give Hunter the benefit of the doubt, his first game of the year, dealing with a back problem, not easy for anybody, much less an OL'n battling against 300+ for 3 hours...

But...

This needs to be fixed asap, one more week might not be enough. The OL performance was bad, as was the communication in blitz coverages, the RB's did a horrible job, especially McKnight, which explains why Powell is getting more playing time, he looked decent.

But the OL, TE, and RB MUST improve the pass protection, it's our biggest weakness...

Fix the OL and protection issues, and the offense will be fine.

Not at all worried about Sanchez, he had no time, no protection, and no weapons. The media will spin it, the chicken littles will fret, but the problem this pre-season has been the performance of the OL and pass protection as a whole.

Holmes and Schilens need to get back asap, Kerley too.
    Excellent Post!!!

It's too late to fix the rt spot now. Teams simply do not trade decent olineman, even backups at this time of year. The jets are screwed unless this austen howard , or howard austen or whomever can not play.

Tanny gets no pass for this, Eric Winston was had for a reasonable price. Tanny made no effort for him. Don't give me cap nonsense, the guy could have done something...starting with not guaranteeing Wayne 2.5 million this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    they should call vernon carey try talking him out of retirement
    Mehta tweeted earlier today that the Jets tried to talk him out of retirement, but Carey decided to accept a high school coaching position instead.

Hall Of Fame
    Mehta tweeted earlier today that the Jets tried to talk him out of retirement, but Carey decided to accept a high school coaching position instead.
    LOL. I thought everyone wanted to play for Rex.

Maybe he can get Wayne Hunter to play for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Tanny gets no pass for this, Eric Winston was had for a reasonable price. Tanny made no effort for him. Don't give me cap nonsense, the guy could have done something...starting with not guaranteeing Wayne 2.5 million this year.
    Gotta love armchair GMs, capologists.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    That remains a great mystery to me.

He was under contract through 2014.

Why guarantee that money later on?

Can someone please explain that?

The best thing to hope for is to trade for a JAG who's overpaid and would likely be let go at final cuts. The other team would get a draft pick instead of nothing for the guy. And we'd have to absorb the JAG's bloated salary. That means cutting somebody we'd want to keep in the process. Or maybe giving up a guy like DeVito in trade who we'd much rather have stay.

That's our best-case scenario right now. Tannenbaum's lack of activity on this matter over the last 6 months has pushed us into a corner.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That remains a great mystery to me.

He was under contract through 2014.

Why guarantee that money later on?

Can someone please explain that?
    The Jets have made two crucial errors in recent years. Keeping Schitty 3 years too long and Wayne Hunter. The only consolation is that this year's draft appears to be a very good one in the making. Unfortunately, this season is already over if the RT spot is not upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Maybe he can get Wayne Hunter to play for him.
    He'd have trouble making their practice squad.