Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Replace Hunter at right tackle -- now(merged Hunter)

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The best thing to hope for is to trade for a JAG who's overpaid and would likely be let go at final cuts. The other team would get a draft pick instead of nothing for the guy. And we'd have to absorb the JAG's bloated salary. That means cutting somebody we'd want to keep in the process. Or maybe giving up a guy like DeVito in trade who we'd much rather have stay.

That's our best-case scenario right now. Tannenbaum's lack of activity on this matter over the last 6 months has pushed us into a corner.
    If he'd get let go at final cut, why couldn't we insist on a renegotiated salary prior to the trade ?

Hall Of Fame
    Can't believe people are making excuses for Tanny.

This is an epic blunder. Fans predicted this months ago. He is supposed to be a seasoned GM?

Maybe he couldnt make a move bc we don't have the cap room. But whose fault would that be? Tannys.

No matter how you try to spin it, he failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    If he'd get let go at final cut, why couldn't we insist on a renegotiated salary prior to the trade ?
    Because that's what 5 other teams will do as well. Arizona is desperate for OL after the injuries they've had. The only way to guarantee we get the guy is make the trade before final cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Because that's what 5 other teams will do as well. Arizona is desperate for OL after the injuries they've had. The only way to guarantee we get the guy is make the trade before final cuts.
    Makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Can't believe people are making excuses for Tanny.

This is an epic blunder. Fans predicted this months ago. He is supposed to be a seasoned GM?

Maybe he couldnt make a move bc we don't have the cap room. But whose fault would that be? Tannys.

No matter how you try to spin it, he failed.
    Who was/is he supposed to get and how?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It's Tannenbaum's JOB to make sh*t happen. Especially things so obvious that a bunch of idiots on a JI like us could anticipate this problem months ago.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Dude, stop acting like there was not a single soul available to sign. You are playing dumb just for the sake of playing dumb.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=OL&y=2012

Hit CTRL+F and search OT. The majority of those names are better than Wayne Hunter and they could have been had for cheap. Instead, we didn't bring in any competition until a week before training camp. And honestly, I'd resign Jeff Otah anyways. Him being crippled for a few weeks would still be a fine investment for a team that currently has Wayne Hunter starting at right tackle.

One name that stood out was Demetress Bell, who played for the Bills last season and did a very good job. Wasn't signed until late April. I'm sure in March, if he was approached by the Jets to play right tackle for a decent amount of salary, he could have been had.

Eric Winston, arguably the best RT in the league, 5 mil a year. I don't care what it takes, 6 million a year whatever you make that deal happen. The guy is a "cap genius", his job is to make that deal happen. Period.

I can't believe I'm saying this.

But I agree 100% with Rich Cimini.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    If a team is desperate for a player where we are deep, something can be worked out. We just have to hope for the right scenario. Right now we can let go of someone on the defensive line.
    Trade Pouha ... Start Ellis ... I like Sioni .... But right now he is worth something ... Two years from now who knows ?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Jets haven't got time for the Wayne

GM Tannenbaum needs to swing a deal to replace Hunter at right tackle -- now
    Gee, I have heard this somewhere before.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    It's too late to fix the rt spot now. .
    Beerfish is right. We can hope for a Tanny miracle but this has to come out of a Sparano blocking scheme. Again, the miracle I am hoping for is that he has a blocking scheme he isn't showing in pre-season that will correct the deficiency.

No, I don't know what that might be, suggestions welcome.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Tanny gets no pass for this, Eric Winston was had for a reasonable price. Tanny made no effort for him. Don't give me cap nonsense, the guy could have done something...starting with not guaranteeing Wayne 2.5 million this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Eric Winston, arguably the best RT in the league, 5 mil a year. I don't care what it takes, 6 million a year whatever you make that deal happen. The guy is a "cap genius", his job is to make that deal happen. Period.

Sure, 6 mil is reasonable.

And after the first sack he gives up, or the first penalty called on him you'd kill Tanny for the signing.

And, I'm with you, we dont have to follow others and really watch the cap

Tanny should have offered 5 mil, screw the 6 mil he signed for.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-20-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Wow, Cimini is a genius. And after only how many years of college?

Tanny is not to blame for this, Rex is. Coaches decide what vets stay or go.
    Do you think Tanny would guarantee a salary to a player without asking Rex if he planned on starting him? At the end of the season the coaching staff gets together and determines the state of the team regarding strength and weaknesses. That is then given to the GM, Dir Of pro personnel and the Dir of college scouting. They identify and evaluate those positions, rank them and then get the coaches evaluations before moving on them in FA or the draft.

Do you think getting Scott, Leonard, Cro and Holmes Was Tanny's idea or Rex's?

The dir of pro personnel is the guy on the hot seat if he can't identify a likely cut, so the jets can move per-emptively and broker a trade.

You can blame Tanny for not standing up to Woody on the Farve and Tebow moves, and the misguided flirtation with Manning. And he is the boss, so he is ultimately responsible for all the people under him including Rex, so there is some blame. You want to blame Tanny for something, blame him for using a credit card to build this team.
    Last edited by patman; 08-20-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Sure, 6 mil is reasonable.

And after the first sack he gives up, or the first penalty called on him you'd kill Tanny for the signing.

And, I'm with you, we dont have to follow others and really watch the cap

Tanny should have offered 5 mil, screw the 6 mil he signed for.
    Bull****! Do you think Houston cut him without calling around the league to see if there was anybody interested in trading for him under his existing contract?
    The jets could have gotten him for about 3.5 this year and 4 next. Winston was upset that he was no longer with the Texans but he was not upset about the raise and the SB. Sometimes a guy with 8-10 years with a team may be released rather than traded a thank you for services rendered. But not a 5 year guy in his prime.
    Can you imagine if he signed with Tenn instead of KC?

The Jets were called, And I am sure Tanny asked Rex. Jet Nut you know this is how it happens.
    Last edited by patman; 08-20-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Petition to..

Drive Wayne Hunter to the aiport on a one ticket!!!

Attention on Jet fans, media, players etc our voice needs to be heard. RT is clearly our weakest link. Without a significant upgrade via trade or free agency at this position we are going no where this season!!! Who else is tired of the excuses?

Who can we bring in here & at what cost?

Ladies, Gentlemen, kids your ideas/suggestions are welcome.

All League
    with the money this a$#%& is guaranteed he should be able to find his own way home dammit

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That remains a great mystery to me.

He was under contract through 2014.

Why guarantee that money later on?

Can someone please explain that?
    I would love to hear Tanny answer this question.

There are a couple of people who would ask it. Possibly Carton or Fatty.

But we all know he will give us the used car salesman routine.

Hall Of Fame
    Not my job to know that. Its Tanny's. But for the sake of the argument, I was calling for McKenzie a long time ago. I think he still wants to play, otherwise he would have retired. Not saying he would be Woody, but he would certainly not be getting embarrassed like Hunter is.

Results based business and the results are sucking.

I do think in his mind's eye there was no option better than Hunter. I think he believed that Hunter would be fine. And that was a huge mistake. Too big of a gamble. No contingency plan. Even if Hunter was playing great, I would still be questioning his judgement for not having a legitimate backup plan. Our plan A sucks and we have no plan B.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-20-2012 at 08:33 AM.