Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Replace Hunter at right tackle -- now(merged Hunter)

All League
    NOW

All League
    Can't they just cut his ass anyway. That will send a message. Kick him off the team? So what if they have to pay him. Better yet, make him sell PSL's over the phone.

Only a total incompetent like Tannenbaum would guarantee his salary after the year he had last year.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    In defense of Turner he has rode the pine the majority of his career and is 31, I don't know what they were thinking?

SIGN KAREEM MCKENZIE!!

Yes hes probably not a great player, but he won't get embarrassed like Hunter does. I remember him being a good run blocker as well, smart veteran player. Sign him as a stop gap for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... howard needs to be the starter preseason weeks 3 & 4 ... while we watch for a cut or try to work out a trade ...

... hunter is abominable ...

l_j_r
    +1 to the nth

Jets Insider VIP
    BEFORE TOMORROW'S PRACTICE

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sheastadiumjetfan View Post
    He looked clueless- like he was pushed back on skis against Giants D line last night. We are toast unless we find a replacement RT FA
    The only time he puts his arms up was after the play, and not during. It's the only play he has memorized. It's the WTF play. First you do this:

Then you finish it up with this:

Guaranteed Money.

Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    He was brutal. Watching DVD right now and wow he was the main reason we didn't throw deep. I should say, couldn't.
    +1
    The guy is just God awful! He was constantly getting beat by his man, getting thrown around and always seems to be a step slow. We all better pray for some TC cuts and hopefully we can find a suitable replacement.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I'm amazed at how some people call other people a piece of sh*t so casually. We're not talking bin Laden here. We're talking about a football player for God's sake. Brutal.
    No one is saying he's a POS as a person or a human being. I'm sure he's a nice guy.

People are simply saying he's a POS as a football player. Specifically a RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I'm amazed at how some people call other people a piece of sh*t so casually. We're not talking bin Laden here. We're talking about a football player for God's sake. Brutal.
    Picket for a ban, how dare they

Wishful thought of the year: Sparano has a jumbo package that will fill the gap and they just aren't showing it in pre-season.... Well, I can dream can't I?

Quote Originally Posted by JUMBOJET View Post
    this organization just cant admit they made a mistake on him
    nailed it, kind of. in this case they're not aware there's a mistake that needs to be denied being made

Jets Insider VIP
    This is the second time the Jets FO has been INCOMPENTENT concerning the OL....

Remember Adrien Clarke.....

It is a disgrace!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    This is the second time the Jets FO has been INCOMPENTENT concerning the OL....

Remember Adrien Clarke.....

It is a disgrace!!!!
    Or the Pete Kendall fiasco ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Or the Pete Kendall fiasco ?
    Yes you are 100% corrrect on that one!!!

A disgrace.............

Cimini: GM Tannenbaum needs to swing a deal to replace Hunter at right tackle -- now

Jets haven't got time for the Wayne

GM Tannenbaum needs to swing a deal to replace Hunter at right tackle -- now

The New York Jets' right-tackle situation brings back memories of the wide-receiver situation in 2009. They broke camp with Chansi Stuckey as a starter by default, but after four games of watching Stuckey stuck to defenders, they made a bold move and traded for Braylon Edwards.

GM Mike Tannenbaum needs to pull a Braylon move at right tackle. The season begins in three weeks, and it begins with a daunting challenge -- Mario Williams, the Buffalo Bills' $100 million defensive stud. When Williams sees the cut-ups of Wayne Hunter against Jason Pierre-Paul, he might make like JPP, circa 2009, and reel off a dozen or so back flips.

Tannenbaum was uncharacteristically passive in the offseason, seemingly hoping the problem would fix itself. He took a flyer on Jeff Otah before training camp, and that didn't work out because of a failed physical. Now he has to revert to Trader Mike mode, because there's no way he can go into the season -- or deep into the season -- with Hunter as his right tackle.

On Saturday night, before becoming infamous for tossing teammate Prince Amukamura into a cold tub, Pierre-Paul basically did the same to Hunter, beating him for two sacks in the first half. Hunter also surrendered a half-sack to Justin Tuck, and only a phantom offsides call on Osi Umenyiora saved Hunter from the embarrassment of another sack by Tuck.

"I really have one more game, and all the practices, to get this figured out," said Hunter, standing up to waves of reporters after the game.

You'd like to give Hunter the benefit of the doubt because he missed the opener and a handful of practices with a stiff lower back, but this was the story last season, too, when he struggled through a personal nightmare.

Surprisingly, the Jets stuck with him, thinking new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, who made his bones as a line coach, could re-invent Hunter.

It's not working. The coaches have talked up Austin Howard as a viable challenger, but if they really believed he was the answer, he would've worked with the starters against the Giants.

Now they have one more preseason game (the starters don't play the finale) to get it fixed. The Jets are the only team that hasn't scored a touchdown, having gone 24 possessions (a total of 108 plays) without reaching the end zone -- and the one of the reasons is the offensive line.
    This is what it has come to: Santonio Holmes, considered Public Enemy No. 1 at the end of last season, is being hailed as a quasi-savior. Wait'll 'Tone gets back. He missed the first two games with a rib injury, no doubt restricting the offense, but this isn't Calvin Johnson we're talking about.

The spin from the team is that they didn't game-plan the first two opponents, and that Sparano purposely kept it basic, not wanting to give away any secrets. Of course, that doesn't preclude a team from, you know, scoring.

Sparano took the vanilla approach to the extreme, providing little help for Hunter. For the most part, the Jets stayed with a five-man protection -- no tight ends, no backs -- but they still couldn't prevent the Giants' four-man rush from getting to Mark Sanchez. His health should've superseded any pre-determined plan. They were lucky he didn't get hurt.

Presumably, Sparano would've made those adjustments if it had been a regular-season game. As Rex Ryan said, "It's hard to throw when you're flat on your back."

There were some positives on offense. Shonn Greene produced five runs of at least five yards, but the Jets couldn't develop any rhythm. And, of course, they went 0-for-3 in short-yardage situations, which made Ryan want to throw up.

Guard Matt Slauson said they found a couple of running plays that worked nicely against the Giants' front, claiming, "We could've run some plays all night, but you don't necessarily run what works, because you want to see everything in the preseason."

The Jets didn't run any Wildcat plays, so Sparano still has that bullet in his revolver. Unless it's the magic bullet, they'll still have to run a conventional offense and it will be chuck-and-duck unless they solidify right tackle.

Can Tannenbaum find an upgrade? It's a long shot. As one AFC personnel executive said Sunday, "Who's cutting a decent offensive tackle? They're a commodity."

The current free-agent market includes former Giant Kareem McKenzie and former Green Bay Packer Chad Clifton, who has drawn some interest from other teams. But Clifton is a left tackle, not right, with durability issues.

Maybe they place a call to the St. Louis Rams to ask about former No. 1 pick Jason Smith, who is riding the bench. He has been a bust, but he was the No. 2 overall pick in 2009, so there must be something there.

Tannenbaum prides himself on being a problem solver. He has a problem he helped create, and he needs to start solving.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...r-right-tackle

Hall Of Fame
    What was Hunter's "personal nightmare"? I wonder if that is why he sees the sports shrink.

I am sure he is a nice guy and I hope everything is OK in his personal life. But sometimes it is best to just move on. It is not working.

the man has a point.

All League
    I just think he meant the nightmare of playing so poorly as an individual.