Thread: Jets' O-line mans up and takes blame for poor play vs. Giants

Jets' O-line mans up and takes blame for poor play vs. Giants

Jets' O-line mans up and takes blame for poor play vs. Giants
    Published: Sunday, August 19, 2012, 9:27 PM Updated: Sunday, August 19, 2012, 9:42 PM
    By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

There are ways to couch the fact the Jets allowed their quarterbacks to be sacked seven times Saturday night. They did not game plan for the Giants, for instance. Their intra-stadium rivals also have one of the league’s elite defensive fronts.

But Brandon Moore, the veteran Jets right guard, saw the performance in the second preseason game one way: “Unacceptable.”
    “Luckily we’re saying this right now,” Moore told SiriusXM NFL Radio today, referring to the 26-3 loss coming in an exhibition game.
    He added: “Guys definitely understand to have the season we want to have, we’ve got to be able to run the football and protect the quarterback.”
    The Jets worked to establish a running game Saturday night, handing off to Shonn Greene 11 times in the two quarters the starting offense played. The running back picked up three of the offense’s four first downs in the first half. But the ground game also hit its bumps, namely the back-to-back failed third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 attempts.

What stood out most, though, were the struggles in pass protection, as the starting offense again failed to score. Quarterback Mark Sanchez was sacked three times in 14 drop-backs — plus a fourth sack nullified by penalty — bringing his preseason sack total to five.
    On the hot seat is right tackle Wayne Hunter, who had a hand in each of the four times Sanchez hit the turf. Hunter admitted “technical flaws,” namely his use of his hands, which he said he is working on with offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo.

Each time Giants defensive end Justin Tuck got past Hunter, for half of a sack and the nullified sack, Hunter barely got his hands on him. Jason Pierre-Paul knocked Hunter off balance for one of his two sacks and bull-rushed him for another.

To be fair to Hunter, this was his first live action of the preseason. He’s missed several practices with a tight back, and he indicated he may not be completely healthy — but didn’t want to make an excuse. Left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson also shared in the blame on one of Pierre-Paul’s sacks, getting beat by Osi Umenyiora to force Sanchez up in the pocket and into the grasp of Pierre-Paul.

But Hunter considers himself on notice. He seethed on the Jets’ bench before halftime, replaying each sack in his mind.
    DeGuglielmo came over, reminding him that it’s still a preseason game, so there is time to get his technique right.

“That’s where I messed up last year, I took it too personal,” said Hunter, whose $2.45 million base salary this year is guaranteed. “I’m going to look at the film and really think to myself, sit down with ‘Gug.’ Because I’ve got flaws I need to work on, obviously.”
    Waiting in Week 1 is the Bills’ Mario Williams. The Jets tried to bring in competition for Hunter before camp, trading with Carolina for Jeff Otah, but the former first-rounder’s bad knee voided the trade.

Would it be realistic to bring in competition for Hunter at this point? Moore has confidence Hunter can bounce back.
    “That’s what I expect of him, which I know he’s done in the past,” Moore told SiriusXM. “When he’s struggled at times, he’s gone back to the drawing board and worked and did extra things after practice and looked at the film and figured out where his flaws are.”

The players spent the offseason learning how new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s protection schemes are called. The preseason is about getting timing and continuity down, left guard Matt Slauson said.

Scheming for the opponent, which the Jets did not do for the Giants, could put the linemen in better positions to block the pass rush. But Moore was not buying into any excuses.

Whether the offense is vanilla or exotic, he said, the unit has to be efficient. Saturday night must be used as a learning experience.
    “Sometimes it’s good — maybe not as bad as it was (Saturday night) — to see that you’re not all that, and realize that you’ve got to put in the work to be ready to have a consistent season,” Moore said. “Everybody understands that we’ve got a lot of work to do, and we’ve got to do it quickly.”

Jenny Vrentas:
    jvrentas@starledger.com

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._river_default
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-19-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

only a preseason game..... right. right.

The Giants are a hard team for anyone to handle. That DL is just scarey. For years they struggled with health and where still really good. Now they are all healthy and like 6 men deep. Believe it or not that could have been a lot uglier. The only reason Kiwi doesn't have a 10 sack season is because Osi, Tuck, and JPP get them 1st. Those 4 alone are good for 35 sacks a season.

Veteran
    This is Hunter's ninth year in the pros and he's getting paid million$ to see if he can learn the skills ... sometime soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great Article......

Horrible OL play!!

It is simple despite what people say out here poor OL play dooms a QB with limited talent at the skill positions!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Either you can play at NFL speed, or you can't

Technique, my a$$

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Film won't help hunter at all. He guesses wrong as to whether the other guy is going to bull rush, go outside or spin inside. He simply isn't a good player and no amount of film study or work on his part will change that. The jets are sheer and utter fools if they do not put him on the 2nd team offense right now and give someone else a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
    In this case ... Reincarnation is the second ....

The dude really needs to get his act together. His play has been atrocious and simply unacceptable at this stage of the game. Hope he took his corporal punishment to mind , has some pride and improves. Geez what we wouldn't give for a competent RT. But Brick has also been a lazy bast@rd

Hall Of Fame
    Moore is falling on the sword this year IN PRESEASON when he basically had a hissy fit when Tone said something last season. Moore's reaction to Tone made the matter worse. Bit of a hypocrite.

I think we need to read between the lines here. The OL is going to take the blame b.c they do not want Tim Tebow to be the QB. And I share that sentiment.

“That’s where I messed up last year, I took it too personal,” said Hunter, whose $2.45 million base salary this year is guaranteed.
    Seriously? This guy needs to go. He should be taking it personal. It is his job and he sucks at it. The biggest problem is that he sucks, not that he "took it personal".
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-20-2012 at 07:15 AM.