Thread: Kareem Mckenzie for right tackle

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Kareem Mckenzie for right tackle

Unsigned, bring him in for a look.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta do it.

If he's not in Florham Park tomorrow, he'll be in Arizona working out for the Cardinals.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Gotta do it.

If he's not in Florham Park tomorrow, he'll be in Arizona working out for the Cardinals.
    +10000000000. No question.

ABW, Anyone But Wayne

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't hurt to check him out. FO got to look under every rock now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume he wants to play b.c he is not retired.

So that leaves two things. Health. Money.

We brought in a broken down Otah for a look. Why not McKenzie.

Maybe we don't have enough money for him. Maybe he is looking for too much. But there have been no reports that we have even kicked the tires. At least kick the tires.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Maybe we don't have enough money for him. Maybe he is looking for too much. But there have been no reports that we have even kicked the tires. At least kick the tires.
    We'd probably have to restructure someone's contract. The obvious candidtate would be Sanchez, who I'm sure would be happy to do that as opposed to spending the season in the hospital. But, I seem to remember some rule that you can't repeatedly restructure a players contract in the same season and his earlier extension counts as one. Also, I think if you restructure someone's contract during pre-season, they have to miss a certain amount of practice time. Anyone familiar with those rules that can confirm or correct me?

I'm sure Revis would be willing to give up some money to help the team out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, I'm not sure McKenzie would fair much better. Jason's site did a pretty good write up on the RT issue a few months ago: http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/hunterguar.php

Definitely worth the read, given the state of things. The Giants Line was terrible last year, but Eli covered a lot of it up by getting the ball out quickly(something Sanchez hasn't been able to do).

The name Eric Winston gets thrown around alot as the big missed opportunity, but from what I recall he was more of a zone blocking RT who doesn't fit our scheme.

That all being said, can't hurt to bring McKenzie in. Something needs to be done.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great idea.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    Sadly, I'm not sure McKenzie would fair much better. Jason's site did a pretty good write up on the RT issue a few months ago: http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/hunterguar.php

Definitely worth the read, given the state of things. The Giants Line was terrible last year, but Eli covered a lot of it up by getting the ball out quickly(something Sanchez hasn't been able to do).

The name Eric Winston gets thrown around alot as the big missed opportunity, but from what I recall he was more of a zone blocking RT who doesn't fit our scheme.

That all being said, can't hurt to bring McKenzie in. Something needs to be done.
    If the Jets cannot upgrade the RT position then they will just have to scheme the protection to help Hunter. A TE or RB to keep Sanchez from getting killed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what kind of shape McKenzie is in, but he was at least serviceable last year. Giants fans were not screaming to have him benched...he was the starting RT in the superbowl. The Giants have decided to move on because Kareem was a bit overpaid, and they have some young tackles on the roster.

For the Jets, this is an absolute no-brainer. The Jets MUST sign Kareem McKenzie in order to be competitive in 2012.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody call Cesar Milan.

If we can't get McKenzie, perhaps the Dog Whisperer can train a German Shepherd to play RT.

I'm sure it will fair better than Hunter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made a thread like this 3 weeks ago and got lambasted, with jokers telling me McKenzie is no better than Hunter.
    Now it's the obvious that I was right. McKenzie was better than Hunter, I don't care what the PFF stats say. Just watch the damn tape.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I made a thread like this 3 weeks ago and got lambasted, with jokers telling me McKenzie is no better than Hunter.
    Now it's the obvious that I was right. McKenzie was better than Hunter, I don't care what the PFF stats say. Just watch the damn tape.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Make sure you save one of those for Arod.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I googled him and a article popped up and he said how he doesn't want to retire yet and still feels like he can play, but he might be forced to retire because no one wants him.

Still, I would rather give him a shot over the human turnstile.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still say McKenzie was the best FA RT on the market so it is concerning no one wants him. Sadly that was how poor the FA market was for RT. He is old and didn't have a great year. I can only assume he either is not in shape or has an injury that is not disclosed. If no one has signed him yet there has to be a reason. I can't seriously say a guy that has floated around this long is the answer even for one year. Maybe as BU but that is not what we are saying here.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would the Jets replace a piece of hot garbage at RT, with another piece of hot garbage?

The only way Tanny will fix this situation is to cough up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to some team willing to part with a decent RT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Why would the Jets replace a piece of hot garbage at RT, with another piece of hot garbage?

The only way Tanny will fix this situation is to cough up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to some team willing to part with a decent RT.
    That's it right there! As much as it would suck to part with a high pick, this is a dire situation. What team has a solid, starting caliber RT that is sitting on their bench?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jet-sec125 View Post
    Unsigned, bring him in for a look.
    Great idea! Hunter either ship out or ride the bench!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    That's it right there! As much as it would suck to part with a high pick, this is a dire situation.
    Absolutely correct

What team has a solid, starting caliber RT that is sitting on their bench?
    that's the million dollar question. I haven't had time to scour the NFL depth charts yet.