Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do we go after this year? I am panicking

Jets Insider VIP
    Before we start jumping off the 2013 ledge before the bodies from the 2012 ledge jump havent even been removed...

The 120 million 2013 cap appears to come from ONE always wrong source...Specs Clayton of espn.

The NFL has said not one word about the 13 cap since it is based on total league revenues for this season which doesnt even start for 3 weeks

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Before we start jumping off the 2013 ledge before the bodies from the 2012 ledge jump havent even been removed...

The 120 million 2013 cap appears to come from ONE always wrong source...Specs Clayton of espn.

The NFL has said not one word about the 13 cap since it is based on total league revenues for this season which doesnt even start for 3 weeks

HUH? EVERY analyst and GM quoted on the subject has projected the 2013 cap to remain flat with only a very slight increase occurring in 2014. Google it. You'll find DOZENS of quotes stating the same as Clayton, and no, they aren't quoting Clayton as the source.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Can we save the crying for January? The defense is going to be good, so we will be in games. If they can figure out how to solve this RT issue we will have a chance in what I think will be a down year in the AFc
    Not to piss in your Wheaties, but why the notion that the offense's only problem is at RT? Sure, that's a glaring need, but clearly the problems are far deeper. It's only 2 preseason games, so way too early for panic, but so far your QB situation is unimproved, the entire line except center is shaky, the RBs unimpressive and the play calling is very Shotty-esque. I don't care how good the D is, the team won't win many games if it can't score a TD.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Not to piss in your Wheaties, but why the notion that the offense's only problem is at RT? Sure, that's a glaring need, but clearly the problems are far deeper. It's only 2 preseason games, so way too early for panic, but so far your QB situation is unimproved, the entire line except center is shaky, the RBs unimpressive and the play calling is very Shotty-esque. I don't care how good the D is, the team won't win many games if it can't score a TD.
    Since you clearly have no clue what you're talking about I won't waste my time. The rest of the line has been fine this preseason. All other protection issues were related to T.Es and RBs. Specifically who has had a bad preseason on the line? You can't name them

We have a few more seasons of sub par play and dreaming of glory. The big money tide up with many of these players is amazing. Many of these guys could not start on 99% of the nfl teams. Face the facts Tanny is not as good as we think. He attempted to win now and mortgaged this team future.

It's preseason. Be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Scott and Pace's contracts don't expire after this season so I'm assuming that you're assuming they'll just be released.

Santonio Holmes isn't going anywhere until after 2013. His entire contract is guaranteed for 2012 and most of it is guaranteed for 2013.

Could see them asking both Ferguson and Cromartie to take a pay cut or to walk as well as the possible releases of Sione Pouha and Mark Sanchez. Harris will probably be asked to restructure as well.
    The bolded part makes me want to barf. Holmes is this regimes biggest screw up.

This is a bit much. The Jets 2012 Defense looks like the best and deepest we've seen under Ryan. Wilson has looked really good in the preseason as has Trufant. If the cap was a major concern Cromartie and his 10Million number could be expendable. Pace and Scott are not likely to return without taking pay cuts. The Offense in the preseason has looked bad so far but those of us that watched the games particularly the Giants game saw the clear and obvious culprit in Hunter. He must be replaced. This Defense alone can win us games this season.

For 2013 the needs will likely be at RB and RT. Green is not a feature back. He never will be. The guy is above average but has no burst. At MLB Davis is already on the roster. OLB we have Sapp waiting in the wings to potentially replace Thomas. For 2013 depending on what happens with Pace we may need a replacement there.

Picture the 2013 Draft

1st rd - Feature back
    2nd rd - RT
    3rd RD - OLB

Fill out the rest with a TE and some Oline depth.

The sky is not falling yet. The key in the next few days is locating a RT that can play in the NFL. Sanchez hasn't looked as bad as people are saying. I thought he played ok against the GNTS. Everytime they looked down the field for an intermediate/long pass in that game Wayne let his man through untouched. No QB would do well in that situation.

If people are legitimately panicking after 2 preseason games when there are no significant injuries involved.....they probably shouldn't be watching football, let alone the NY Jets.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    This is a bit much. The Jets 2012 Defense looks like the best and deepest we've seen under Ryan. Wilson has looked really good in the preseason as has Trufant. If the cap was a major concern Cromartie and his 10Million number could be expendable. Pace and Scott are not likely to return without taking pay cuts. The Offense in the preseason has looked bad so far but those of us that watched the games particularly the Giants game saw the clear and obvious culprit in Hunter. He must be replaced. This Defense alone can win us games this season.

For 2013 the needs will likely be at RB and RT. Green is not a feature back. He never will be. The guy is above average but has no burst. At MLB Davis is already on the roster. OLB we have Sapp waiting in the wings to potentially replace Thomas. For 2013 depending on what happens with Pace we may need a replacement there.

Picture the 2013 Draft

1st rd - Feature back
    2nd rd - RT
    3rd RD - OLB

Fill out the rest with a TE and some Oline depth.

The sky is not falling yet. The key in the next few days is locating a RT that can play in the NFL. Sanchez hasn't looked as bad as people are saying. I thought he played ok against the GNTS. Everytime they looked down the field for an intermediate/long pass in that game Wayne let his man through untouched. No QB would do well in that situation.
    People diss Cromartie, as they dont remember what it was like before he got here. QBs threw the ball to the WR that was not covered by Revis. Remember the AFCCG against the Colts, where Peyton just killed us. we would move Revis he would throw to the next guy.

Cromartie would be an absolute beast on a team with a pashrush. Not many corners are able to cover a WR for 8 seconds every play, which is how long it takes a Jets Blitz to get to the QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    People diss Cromartie, as they dont remember what it was like before he got here. QBs threw the ball to the WR that was not covered by Revis. Remember the AFCCG against the Colts, where Peyton just killed us. we would move Revis he would throw to the next guy.

Cromartie would be an absolute beast on a team with a pashrush. Not many corners are able to cover a WR for 8 seconds every play, which is how long it takes a Jets Blitz to get to the QB.
    Cro...is no longer, IMO, one of our problem areas.

That is a function of he being a better player and our problem areas have grown exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Since you clearly have no clue what you're talking about I won't waste my time. The rest of the line has been fine this preseason. All other protection issues were related to T.Es and RBs. Specifically who has had a bad preseason on the line? You can't name them
    Where did I say it was all protection issues? Jets needed 1 yard on 3rd and 4th down with the starters out there early 2nd qtr. and the run blocking sucked. Slauson, Hunter and the rest of the line got stuffed on both downs with the Giants only rushing four. The next drive I believe it was, and Slauson negated a first down throw by Sanchez by a holding penalty. D'Brick hasn't shown elite play since 2010. Only Mangold and Moore have been reliable. The backups provide no quality depth as well.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The bolded part makes me want to barf. Holmes is this regimes biggest screw up.
    +1, Probably the worst move made by the Jets in the past 5 years. This is also 100% on Rex, as he sees Holmes as the sole reason he didn't win a superbowl as DC in Baltimore.

Some Clues on how to spot a bad player.

1. the Steelers make a young player available.
    2. When said player hits the free agency the only team bidding against you is the Redskins
    Last edited by Funaz; 08-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Robert Kraft who is on the Labor Commitee said that the cap will remain somewhat flat thru 2014 when the new media contract kicks in. The union already borrowed from the NFL 3.2 mill in cap space to help make up the shortfall last year. here is something on it

" But as more information emerges about the actual numbers involved, the widely expected sharp increases seem to be melting away like an ice cube on a Texas sidewalk in August. I have written previously on the apparent difference of opinion on what the salary cap is going to do in the next few seasons. New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft flatly stated that the cap was likely to be flat for the next few years, which flew in the face of everything I had seen before that. Now Houston Texans owner Bob McNair has entered the discussion, and he backs up what Kraft says - and goes a little further.

"It is staying pretty flat for several years," McNair told Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal while departing last week's league meetings. McNair added that, after 2014, the cap will "gradually" increase.

Kaplan's report also confirms that the union borrowed against future years in order to pump the cap in 2012 from as low as $113 million per team to $120.6 million per team, not much more than the $120.375 million per team in 2011. The same thing will happen in 2013, which means that gains to be realized in 2014 and beyond will have already been, to a certain extent, consumed by the players in order to drive up the numbers in 2012 and 2013."

And this

From CBSSports.com

Transition rules

All teams will have about $3.5 million to fund veteran player salaries in 2011. That money comes from what would otherwise be performance-based pay.
    In 2011, each team can borrow up to $3 million in cap room from a future year, which would then be used for the veteran player costs. In 2012, that figure drops to $1.5 million, which can be borrowed."

So what is occurring was that with the new CBA the cap would have been 114 mill, the league worked a mechanism that would allow team to spend up to 120 mill be
    divvying up the benefits to go more to salary and to borrow from the 2014 cap, This year the union borrowed another 1.5 mill of 2014 cap space. So if the cap was going to go up 10 mill that year it will actually only increase 5.5 mill. So the "real" cap number this year was not 121mill it was 1.5 mill less, so if the valu goes up 3 mill next year it will in actuality only go up 1.5 mill
    Last edited by patman; 08-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If people are legitimately panicking after 2 preseason games when there are no significant injuries involved.....they probably shouldn't be watching football, let alone the NY Jets.
    People are panicking because it appears this years offense is little different than last years. Bad oline, especially RT. Check down passing. QB who is jittery pass rush or not. Passes being dropped when we get it right. Mediocre running game. No blocking TE's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Picture the 2013 Draft

1st rd - Feature back
    2nd rd - RT
    3rd RD - OLB
    In case you have not been paying attention, we need a qb.

Quote Originally Posted by JetSouth View Post
    4. Restructure current players but that just enables this endless cycle of mediocrity.
    Add Rex and Tannenbum to the list

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It ended in Pittsburgh and last session was the "reload for one last shot" which bombed. The mistake was keeping Rex Ryan which just delays the rebuild another year.

It's already over.

SAR I

No, the mistake has been keeping Tanny for 2 regimes when the personnel is his responsibility. If we are rebuilding again, it has to be with a new GM. Chances are, he will pick a new coach anyway. If it's Bill Cowher (dream scenario) you get 2 for the price of 1.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post

Picture the 2013 Draft

1st rd - Feature back
    2nd rd - RT
    3rd RD - OLB

If the OL situation is not addressed before the draft, then that has to be the priority. Depending on who is available, I might even go 1-2 on OL like we did in 2006. I would never draft a RB before round 3. Easiest position to fill, and if you have a strong OL the backs we already have are fine.

Veteran
    If the Jets are in the top 3 draft slots they have to draft Berkley or listen to trades for multiple 1st round picks if he's there when picking. I say this assuming Sanchez gets seriously injured or just overall sucks this year for them to be picking in the top 3 slots.

I'm a Sanchez fan and seriously only see this happening if the former occurs.