Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: we need a cutback RB ... shifty with breakout speed.

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Jonathan Stewart just got payed last week and they signed Tolbert to a big deal in the off season. Do the math people. No way they keep him.

    His money is not guaranteed.
    Last season, he signed a five-year, $43 million contract with $21 guaranteed.

    This is year two of the contract. If they cut him, they would have to pay him the remaining portion of his guaranteed money ($16.8 million) and it would all hit the cap this season.

    It's cool that you like to make stuff up though. That's always fun.

  2. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight is our guy. We need to get him in out in space. He has the ability and is by far our most explosive RB

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Last season, he signed a five-year, $43 million contract with $21 guaranteed.

    This is year two of the contract. If they cut him, they would have to pay him the remaining portion of his guaranteed money ($16.8 million) and it would all hit the cap this season.

    It's cool that you like to make stuff up though. That's always fun.
    Ok you are correct he has guaranteed money left over. I thought it was all payed up. Either way I believe it can be spread out over a few years if cut and not all payed upfront.

    Anyway, it just doesnt make sense for them to keep him. He will be moved one way or another. Trade could be an option.

    There isnt enough carries to go around for 3 guys with big contracts. Doesnt make sense. Someone has to go.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    17,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm telling you...

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...ht=chris+ivory

    May not be the ideal speed guy, but he's solid in pass-pro and can catch out of the backfield.
    Last edited by 10PennyToColes87; 08-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Ok you are correct he has guaranteed money left over. I thought it was all payed up. Either way I believe it can be spread out over a few years if cut and not all payed upfront.

    Anyway, it just doesnt make sense for them to keep him. He will be moved one way or another. Trade could be an option.

    There isnt enough carries to go around for 3 guys with big contracts. Doesnt make sense. Someone has to go.
    They may be able to actually pay the money over time, meaning write the checks, I'm not sure how that works.

    But, I do know that the entire remaining portion of his guaranteed money would hit the salary cap in one season. Same is true if he was traded.

    He's not going anywhere.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its obvious this is greens last chance to shine. Contract year. Jets could be in the market for running back next year.

    Personally I think if the right tackle spot is fixed then the group of them can get the job done.

    If green gets his touches then he does well. Hopefully powell or mcnight can step up. Maybe ganaway can show something

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    They may be able to actually pay the money over time, meaning write the checks, I'm not sure how that works.

    But, I do know that the entire remaining portion of his guaranteed money would hit the salary cap in one season. Same is true if he was traded.

    He's not going anywhere.
    In doing a little more research I just realized the guy is 29. No way they pay out that kind of money after next year. They would be smart to move him now.

    Maybe they work out some sort of a trade with a contract restructure with the new team. He might be willing if he knows he will get more carries.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    CFL you say?

    Chevon Walker - Hamilton Tiger Cats = Chris Johnson light.

    Now after all the yuks, I agree with the op. Greene is off and on. We need a Leon Washington type player that can really make teams pay if we get the RB in the open field.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    In doing a little more research I just realized the guy is 29. No way they pay out that kind of money after next year. They would be smart to move him now.

    Maybe they work out some sort of a trade with a contract restructure with the new team. He might be willing if he knows he will get more carries.
    There are no "trades with contract restructures" in the NFL. You must be thinking about baseball or basketball or something.

    When a player is traded in the NFL, the remaining portion of his guaranteed money immediately hits the salary cap of the team that is trading him. No questions asked.

    Deangelo Williams is going nowhere.

    I don't understand why they extended Jonathan Stewart. Would have made sense to trade him, and they would have gotten a lot in return. But, in any case, Deangelo Williams will be a Carolina Panther this season and probably next as well.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a miserable OL most of whom were hurting last yr, Shonn Greene rushed for over 1000 yards. He did this dispite said miserable OL and an even more miserable Passing Game.

    How many people have to fall on their sword before the truth is accepted by this fanbase. The Problem is not the RB,it was not the OC and for real for real,it's not the OL. Could these positions stand an upgrade? Well i guess we all know the answer to this, but the problem is not these positions.

    In 2000, the Jets offense looked just like it did these days at the begining of the season under an OC many wanted to run out of town. Take away Vinny Testaverde and insert Chad Pennington and his pop gun arm and the offense looks completely different for 2 yrs until Chad gets hurt. 3 OCs later and it has never looked the same since Pennington suffered that injury .

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need an offensive line that actually block and protect the Qb.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stats aside a person sees what he sees watching the game. "Ooo! Nice blocking, we have a large hole!" 4 yard gain. The Jets better hope that Powell or McKnight are the real deal because the overall contribution of LT to this offense was substantial his years here.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    We need an offensive line that actually block and protect the Qb.
    The fact that the entire OL is now viewed as the issue is remarkable considering that Wayne Hunter is so horrendous that he makes the entire line look like it's bad when it's probably one of the top 5 in the NFL aside from Hunter.

  14. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Stewart was just extended. Tolbert was signed.

    Why the hell would they tie up all that money into 3 RB's?

    If Williams is cut they should grab him.

    Otherwise, after RT is addressed, they should make a move for Jerious Norwood or Earnest Graham.

    Either would provide valuable depth
    Because Tolbert will be playing FB also for them. Can Never have enough quality Rb's. The running game is an important part for them and CaM Newton.

  15. #35
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ivory would be a good pickup.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Stats aside a person sees what he sees watching the game. "Ooo! Nice blocking, we have a large hole!" 4 yard gain. The Jets better hope that Powell or McKnight are the real deal because the overall contribution of LT to this offense was substantial his years here.
    Yep. Last year Tomlinson wasnt even very good...but even that would be an improvement over what we're currently fielding. This offense is a mess.

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I'm telling you...

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...ht=chris+ivory

    May not be the ideal speed guy, but he's solid in pass-pro and can catch out of the backfield.
    Just watched the preseason game vs the Jags where the announcers said it's unlikely they release Ivory. He is high on the list in the Saints crowded backfield which will likely be Ingram, Sproles, Thomas, and Ivory. However, apparently they are very high on rookie Travaris Cadet who's looked really good in preseason. Definitely a team to watch as a good RB could shake loose in final cuts/PS.

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fix the Oline and Greene will get through the holes. My problem with him is he doesn't even look for options. How many times did he slam into what had obviously become an immoveable pile on Saturday? He could have easily cut left or right and at least had a chance of picking up the yard.

    That said I'd rather focus on the Oline that can protect the QB and open holes. More dynamic RBs are for next year.

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    17,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Just watched the preseason game vs the Jags where the announcers said it's unlikely they release Ivory. He is high on the list in the Saints crowded backfield which will likely be Ingram, Sproles, Thomas, and Ivory. However, apparently they are very high on rookie Travaris Cadet who's looked really good in preseason. Definitely a team to watch as a good RB could shake loose in final cuts/PS.
    Didn't watch the game, but I read this:

    Chris Ivory is off to a "lost start" in training camp, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

    In addition to putting the ball on the ground too often, Ivory has also struggled with pre-snap mental lapses. OC Pete Carmichael calls the fumbling problem "not acceptable," and Ivory has managed just 30 yards on a team-high 17 preseason carries (1.8 YPC). Contrary to pre-camp speculation, Ivory is not a serious threat to Mark Ingram's role as the primary back between the tackles, in clock-killing mode and in short-yardage. With rookie Travaris Cadet impressing, Ivory should be available for trade. Aug 16 - 7:17 PM
    My guess is the Saints will move him for the right offer. Question is, do we trade away picks for a RB?

  20. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    My guess is the Saints will move him for the right offer. Question is, do we trade away picks for a RB?
    No way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us