Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Study: Romney tax plan would result in cuts for rich, higher burden for others

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    At some point? If you have no faith in the institutions of government because the same people who promise fairness are hiding what they are doing and taking care of their own in the darkness of night why shouldn't we look out for ourselves?
    Because the bottom line is, when the system goes belly-up (which it absolutely will do without a course correction) we're all screwed.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Because the bottom line is, when the system goes belly-up (which it absolutely will do without a course correction) we're all screwed.
    Bottom line, before any major legislation is passed we need to flush the toilet. What makes anyone think the same people who got us where we are can get us out?

  3. #23
    How about cutting back on military spending? You could halve the military budget and still have money left over to fight another war.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,424
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    How about cutting back on military spending? You could halve the military budget and still have money left over to fight another war.
    I agree. You realize we have 16 bases in japan? 16???

    THAT IS government power run a muck. The only reason we have bases in that high number, in friendly countries is lobbying and the naked fact that government grows for its own benefit not that of the constituents. The constituents benefit , in many instances, but generally only when the government benefits first.

    I site the TSA. A bloated agency, spending billions and wasting billions. Are we protected, yes but no where near the cost.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Bottom line, before any major legislation is passed we need to flush the toilet. What makes anyone think the same people who got us where we are can get us out?
    Separate - and valid - question. That's a reason to vote for or against a candidate. "What is better for me" (without regard to what's better systemically) is not, not at this point in history, IMO.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post

    One thing Obama and Ryan absolutely agreed to gut was Simpson/Bowles. The question is why?
    Ryan wanted Spending cuts vs tax hikes (Capital Gains /Dividends)
    / deduction cuts.

    Obama wanted to gut Simpson - Bowles when it increased everyone's taxes?

    EDIT: Obama commissioned it then for political reasons (The tax hikes) was advised not to back it.
    Not really sure of the logic there.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 08-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,845
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Soldiers are getting killed so people can pay nothing? Really?
    You do realize that 95% of those soldiers are in that same 50% that pay no income tax?

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Dude...50 percent of Americans pay NO TAX. Any tax decrease will only affect the wealthy.

    Tax SHOULD be increased on the bottom 50 percent. EVERYONE should pay something.

    Soldiers are getting killed so people can pay nothing? Really?

    BTW...I am not asking for a tax cut and I pay a LOT.
    When you say "a lot", what percentage of your actual gross income do you pay in taxes (federal and state)? I was just wondering if your definition of "a lot" is actually "a lot" or just your impression of "a lot".

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,424
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    When you say "a lot", what percentage of your actual gross income do you pay in taxes (federal and state)? I was just wondering if your definition of "a lot" is actually "a lot" or just your impression of "a lot".
    I am in the 33 percent bracket federal ......With very few write offs.

    You do the math... I pay a LOT and if Obama wins I will work less , take a day off every week and kep my income lower.

    What about you?
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 08-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Oh good, YellowSubmarine is back. It must be an election year.
    I think he/she is just interested in the gay whores in Tampa...

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    When you say "a lot", what percentage of your actual gross income do you pay in taxes (federal and state)? I was just wondering if your definition of "a lot" is actually "a lot" or just your impression of "a lot".

    What difference does it make what you think is a lot or not? Who the hell are you to decide what portion of someone's income should be taken without choice to redistribute as you see fit?

    Why don't you tell us what the government should be doing and how much it's going to cost and based on that come up with what you think is a reasonable tax code? Take in to consideration that your taking peoples money and property that they earned and you might not want to piss it away just because you can.

  12. #32
    I have an average family income for a NYC suburbanite. I currently pay 10% of my salary in property tax, 8% for state tax, 12% for medicare and SS, and approximately 16% in federal income tax.

    This is the basis for my understanding of the deficit issues facing the country. If the average suburbanite like myself is already paying upwards of 40% across the board in taxes there simply isn't anything left to take. We have a growth and spending problem in this country. It is that simple. The progressives can demagogue all they want but there simply isn't enough money to cover the promises being made. We have this concept of a Buffet Rule that raises 4Billion a year? That doesn't help. We have the Democrats runnina a campaign based on eliminating the portion of the Bush tax cuts that affects the 250K and up crowd. That raises 60billion a year initially. That's not much of a dent in the 1.5 trillion in yearly deficits.

    The only way to get our house in order is to find a way to cut spending and reform entitlements.The real crime of the Obama administration is his inability to see reality. The Democrats had a chance to take the lead on the budget issues and shape things in a way they were comfortable with. They could have protected programs they felt were necessary etc. That would have been good governing. Instead we have populism and class warfare coming out of the WH. They are screwing the pooch and they are screwing over the moderate voters that entrusted them with stewardship of the economy. This is the polar opposite of the way that Clinton governed. Clinton read the tea leaves and turned the issue to his favor. He was able to shape the legislation that eventually was passed.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I am in the 33 percent bracket federal ......With very few write offs.

    You do the math... I pay a LOT and if Obama wins I will work less , take a day off every week and kep my income lower.

    What about you?
    I only asked because it was you, because its like saying "I have a big penis" and then not dropping your pants.

    I am only an insignificant 25%er with oodles of student loan debt and no option to work less..

    MUST BE NICE!!!

  14. #34
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,424
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    I only asked because it was you, because its like saying "I have a big penis" and then not dropping your pants.

    I am only an insignificant 25%er with oodles of student loan debt and no option to work less..

    MUST BE NICE!!!
    I went to a state school because I wouldn't borrow. Had mediocre grades in high school. My childhood was not conducive to studying. In fact, I grew up on welfare. Saw how the state and fed imprison welfare receivers first hand and vowed to NEVER be in that situation. I am convinced the only answer to poverty is hard work. Education is important but a degree from Phoenix, Strayer with 40K debt? Subsidized by the fed? PRISON of debt. I Worked every summer and vacation while my buddies went on spring break. Have never bought a new car and never been to Disney world.

    BTW...it is nice but 90 percent of most guys would NEVER walk the line I did. I went to night school 4 days a week for 3 years while having 2 kids. So spare me the judgement.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 08-22-2012 at 05:26 PM.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I went to a state school because I wouldn't borrow. Had mediocre grades in high school. My childhood was not conducive to studying. In fact, I grew up on welfare. Saw how the state and fed imprison welfare receivers first hand and vowed to NEVER be in that situation. I am convinced the only answer to poverty is hard work. Education is important but a degree from Phoenix, Strayer with 40K debt? Subsidized by the fed? PRISON of debt. I Worked every summer and vacation while my buddies went on spring break. Have never bought a new car and never been to Disney world.

    BTW...it is nice but 90 percent of most guys would NEVER walk the line I did. I went to night school 4 days a week for 3 years while having 2 kids. So spare me the judgement.
    Whoa Nellie! That's some pent up jealous anger there.

    How do I not pay my bills myself? Because I have student loans? A loan is money you borrow and then pay back, with interest. Not free money.

    1. I am not a left wing zealot.
    2. I grew up lower middle class. But I studied hard and graduated in the top of my class and earned a $40,000 scholarship for college. While in college, I worked full time (days when I didn't have class, nights and weekends) and had my own apartment and car. I also kept studying hard and graduated again at the top of my class (a semester early). I was the third college graduate of my entire family.
    3. I was employed full time right away and have stayed that way ever since. While working full time (although not as prestigious as delivering pizza), I went back to school and got a masters (and graduated a semester early) as one of the first graduates of the entire program. I was the first masters graduate of my entire family.
    4. All of this time, I didn't receive one penny from mommy and daddy.
    5. I work in a career where I'll never make a lot of money, and I always knew that. But I save people's lives, maybe even yours one day. And you're welcome.
    6. So I don't feel ashamed of myself at all. Should I be?

    I simply meant by my post that some people I've encountered think they pay a lot of taxes and they actually don't compared to people who aren't married and don't have children, or other tax breaks that they feel they've earned.

  16. #36
    Obamas plan isn't any better, it will only benefit the lazy welfare leaches who continue to suck this country dry. He wants to tax me up the ass so he can feed some schmuck who won't get off his ass and get a job.

    In other words no matter who gets elected, middle class Americans will lose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us