Thread: NY Post Article on Jets lack of offense

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

NY Post Article on Jets lack of offense

So maybe it was not Brian Schottenheimer’s fault after all.
    Through two preseason games, the Jets’ 2012 offense does not look much better than the 2011 version that cost Schottenheimer his job as offensive coordinator.

Let’s get the excuses out of the way at the top: It’s only the preseason, the Jets are not using any of their Tebow-cat packages, wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley have not played in a game and the Jets did no game planning for their opponent.

All of that being said, their offense has looked scary bad.

The Jets are the only team in the NFL that has not scored a touchdown in the preseason. They stumbled and bumbled their way through Saturday night’s 26-3 loss to the Giants. Poor pass protection, killer penalties and a turnover that resulted in a touchdown highlighted the team’s problems.

“We have to put the ball in the end zone, that’s for sure,” quarterback Mark Sanchez said. “Some of that self-inflicted stuff: the false start, the holding and the interception, that stuff can’t happen when we are starting to put ourselves in scoring position. We kind of hurt ourselves there. It’s across the board. We just have to get better and be sharper.”
    That’s an understatement.

The problems start up front. Sanchez has been sacked five times in two games. The Jets have allowed 12 total sacks. They are 5-for-26 on third down. They rank last in the league with 160.5 yards per game in the preseason. They are last in passing yards with just 70.0 per game. Their nine points is last among teams that have already played two games.
    Coach Rex Ryan said he is confident the offense will be fine when the regular season starts in three weeks.

“I see the way our guys work,” Ryan said. “It’s a hard working group. Again, there’s no magic plays. I know how hard we work and I know how dedicated this team is to improving. And again, that’s what I’m betting on and that’s what I believe will happen.”

So, how meaningful are these preseason stats? Last year, the Colts were the worst offensive team in the preseason. They were 30th in the regular season. The Cardinals were the No. 1 offense in the preseason, but fell to 19th during the regular season. The Jets were 30th last year in August and moved up to 25th when the games counted.

The biggest concern for the Jets right now has to be the offensive line, and right tackle Wayne Hunter in particular. It won’t matter if it’s Sanchez or Tim Tebow playing quarterback if they are under constant pressure.
    Hunter allowed 2 1/2 sacks Saturday night and had another sack nullified by a penalty on the Giants. After a dismal 2011 season, the Jets stuck by Hunter, guaranteeing his $2.45 million salary by keeping him on the roster.
    Now, they need to see improvement fast.

“It was tough sledding,” Hunter said. “The Giants have a good defensive front. They have a lot of good guys to go up against for my first preseason game. Like I’ve been telling you guys, it is going to get better from here, there is nothing else I can do.”

There are not many options out there if the Jets want to replace Hunter. They likely would have to wait until the rosters are cut to 53 the week before the season and see if there are any right tackles out there then.
    The Jets did reach out to former Dolphins tackle Vernon Carey this spring, according to a source. But Carey told them he did not want to play anymore. He has since retired and is coaching at a high school in Miami.
    The other veterans out there either have health or age concerns and may not be an upgrade over Hunter.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz245X2GmFS

OK I know the media's job is to "stir the pot" but this article is spot on. So I ask if the offense continues to have problems who is held accountable ?

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted one thing thing this preseason.....a showing of some semblance of a good offense. The exact opposite has happened. The only bright side is that I got the Sunday ticket for free this year so at least it's not gonna cost me to watch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering if Ryan is the right coach for THIS team. I know players like playing for him but we need someone who can understands the offense in depth and can evaluate players objectively. I mean last year wasn't it Ryan who said he believed in Hunter ? The guy can give 120% at practice but what counts is what he does on the field on Sunday

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I am wondering if Ryan is the right coach for THIS team. I know players like playing for him but we need someone who can understands the offense in depth and can evaluate players objectively. I mean last year wasn't it Ryan who said he believed in Hunter ? The guy can give 120% at practice but what counts is what he does on the field on Sunday
    I'm a big Rex fan but I have to say this is creeping into my mind as well. The thing that will keep me holding on is that under Rex we are virtually guaranteed to be a Top 10 or Top 5 Defense every single year...and that keeps you competitive and in a LOT of games.

The question is, can we wait around for the offense to come along...1, 2, 5 years??? And will it ever come along under Rex?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was obvious last season, but highly unfashionable to say so.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

a schotty sucks thread gets 100 responses in january.

a schotty might not be to blame thread gets 3 responses in August

coaches coach and players play. Every team in the league has the same set of plays. This isn't like defense where there are systems and different looks. Everyone runs the same mish-mash of Bill Walsh and Air Coryell plays. the play calls and play caller are not the difference makers. The players are the difference.

whoever thought of the phrase Addition by subtraction was just trying to justify firing someone. Greenbeans i think said it best maybe the Jets should try addition by addition for a change.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm a big Rex fan but I have to say this is creeping into my mind as well. The thing that will keep me holding on is that under Rex we are virtually guaranteed to be a Top 10 or Top 5 Defense every single year...and that keeps you competitive and in a LOT of games.

The question is, can we wait around for the offense to come along...1, 2, 5 years??? And will it ever come along under Rex?
    Stats dont mean crap. Forget the stats and remember the games last season, when the D gave up the big drive, the big play, over and over to loose games. When the D looked flat and uninspired, or the fact that Ryan's blitz's (sending 6+ players) are blocked with 5 guys over a and over. The inability to cover any TE. With zero help from the O, this team is done. You are looking at a 4-6 win season if lucky. Rex is a great speaker, but it really looks like he's not a head coach. This next game we will see what we have, and I hope they use another flavor than vanilla this time.
    Last edited by srobjets; 08-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Rex is a good defensive coach but don't underestimate Revis's impact on that defense. I really think that if you take him away, the impact is significant. I'm not saying the Jets have the Patriots 2011 defense, but I don't see anybody else on that side of the line that you "dread" playing against.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex ideally wants whats going on in San Fran. Unfortunately we don't have anything close to the RB's they have or the oline.

What scares me is that when he sees a problem on defense, he finds a way to get it fixed with a solid replacement. Okay safety took a while but still. With the offense he just says he has faith in the guys here and prays the no names step up.

I hope Rex sticks around for a while but hope he also realizes ground and pound is a thing of the past.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Rex ideally wants whats going on in San Fran. Unfortunately we don't have anything close to the RB's they have or the oline.

What scares me is that when he sees a problem on defense, he finds a way to get it fixed with a solid replacement. Okay safety took a while but still. With the offense he just says he has faith in the guys here and prays the no names step up.

I hope Rex sticks around for a while but hope he also realizes ground and pound is a thing of the past.
    We've spent a lot of picks recently on the defensive front 7...and we needed to. Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Demario Davis are all welcome additions that will hopefully result in much better play upfront.

Since the D'Brick/Mangold draft we haven't used a meaningful pick on the OLine with the exception of Ducasse who is now a confirmed bust in terms of being a starter. This would be okay if they had used Free Agency to address their RT problem. They didn't. The Jets really needed to just bite the bullet and draft a starting RT if they weren't able to get one in FA prior to the draft.

The attempted move for Otah shows how desparate we are and, unfortunately, how thin the available options are at RT right now. The Jets are in panic mode...but it's their own doing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully expect Trader Mike to make moves on all levels of the Offense - OL, TE, RB, and maybe WR. No doubt this is NOT the squad that goes against Buffalo. Let's not panic yet. We have 3 weeks to make some moves.

The season and jobs are on the line. He has never been known to go into the season without shaking things up a bit at the beginning of the season. The downside is he will again mortgage the future by trading away draft picks. That's what hurt so bad about the Tebow trade -- that 4th rounder has a lot of value.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Through two preseason games, the Jets’ 2012 offense does not look much better than the 2011 version that cost Schottenheimer his job as offensive coordinator.

Let’s get the excuses out of the way at the top: It’s only the preseason, the Jets are not using any of their Tebow-cat packages, wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley have not played in a game and the Jets did no game planning for their opponent.

All of that being said, their offense has looked scary bad.

The Jets are the only team in the NFL that has not scored a touchdown in the preseason. They stumbled and bumbled their way through Saturday night’s 26-3 loss to the Giants. Poor pass protection, killer penalties and a turnover that resulted in a touchdown highlighted the team’s problems.

“We have to put the ball in the end zone, that’s for sure,” quarterback Mark Sanchez said. “Some of that self-inflicted stuff: the false start, the holding and the interception, that stuff can’t happen when we are starting to put ourselves in scoring position. We kind of hurt ourselves there. It’s across the board. We just have to get better and be sharper.”
    That’s an understatement.

The problems start up front. Sanchez has been sacked five times in two games. The Jets have allowed 12 total sacks. They are 5-for-26 on third down. They rank last in the league with 160.5 yards per game in the preseason. They are last in passing yards with just 70.0 per game. Their nine points is last among teams that have already played two games.
    Coach Rex Ryan said he is confident the offense will be fine when the regular season starts in three weeks.

“I see the way our guys work,” Ryan said. “It’s a hard working group. Again, there’s no magic plays. I know how hard we work and I know how dedicated this team is to improving. And again, that’s what I’m betting on and that’s what I believe will happen.”

So, how meaningful are these preseason stats? Last year, the Colts were the worst offensive team in the preseason. They were 30th in the regular season. The Cardinals were the No. 1 offense in the preseason, but fell to 19th during the regular season. The Jets were 30th last year in August and moved up to 25th when the games counted.

The biggest concern for the Jets right now has to be the offensive line, and right tackle Wayne Hunter in particular. It won’t matter if it’s Sanchez or Tim Tebow playing quarterback if they are under constant pressure.
    Hunter allowed 2 1/2 sacks Saturday night and had another sack nullified by a penalty on the Giants.
    After a dismal 2011 season, the Jets stuck by Hunter, guaranteeing his $2.45 million salary by keeping him on the roster.
    Now, they need to see improvement fast.

“It was tough sledding,” Hunter said. “The Giants have a good defensive front. They have a lot of good guys to go up against for my first preseason game. Like I’ve been telling you guys, it is going to get better from here, there is nothing else I can do.”

There are not many options out there if the Jets want to replace Hunter. They likely would have to wait until the rosters are cut to 53 the week before the season and see if there are any right tackles out there then.
    The Jets did reach out to former Dolphins tackle Vernon Carey this spring, according to a source. But Carey told them he did not want to play anymore. He has since retired and is coaching at a high school in Miami.
    The other veterans out there either have health or age concerns and may not be an upgrade over Hunter.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz245X2GmFS

OK I know the media's job is to "stir the pot" but this article is spot on. So I ask if the offense continues to have problems who is held accountable ?
    Our season is not as dead as many proclaim. But this article sums up our problems. If we can solidify that line, we're going to be right there.

If we don't.... gonna' be a LOOONNNNG season....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... hunter s*cks ...

... p.s. - so does shotty ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've spent a lot of picks recently on the defensive front 7...and we needed to. Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Demario Davis are all welcome additions that will hopefully result in much better play upfront.

Since the D'Brick/Mangold draft we haven't used a meaningful pick on the OLine with the exception of Ducasse who is now a confirmed bust in terms of being a starter. This would be okay if they had used Free Agency to address their RT problem. They didn't. The Jets really needed to just bite the bullet and draft a starting RT if they weren't able to get one in FA prior to the draft.

The attempted move for Otah shows how desparate we are and, unfortunately, how thin the available options are at RT right now. The Jets are in panic mode...but it's their own doing.
    IF this season goes down the tubes because of the offense (OL in particular) I think we need to remove Tanny. The problem for Rex is that he is not great at evaluating talent on offense. Not every HC has to be though. A very good GM can be a great asset as far as input and player selection. The issue is that Tanny isn't really all that great in these facets unless he is trading for proven players (sans the Tebow fiasco). Tanny would look great with a Cowher/Parcells type because they would tell him get me XYZ and Tannenbaum can find ways to get it done. Rex needs a guy who he can give a vision to like Polian who then can come up with XYZ and get it himself. Also Polian is more than willing to give his feedback on the viability of a strat given his clout/experience.

The reason we had initial success was that, for all his faults, Mangini was a pretty good talent evaluator on both sides of the ball (definitely not perfect though, see boar hunter and ghost) and was fundamental in how he built a team. Rex is a great coach IMHO and was able to take that team to it's potential (Mangini couldn't). A Mangini-Rex GM/HC pair would be intriguing duo in more than one way lol.

Long story short if this season doesn't play out well we should hire Polian at GM to help Rex reach his full potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    IF this season goes down the tubes because of the offense (OL in particular) I think we need to remove Tanny. The problem for Rex is that he is not great at evaluating talent on offense. Not every HC has to be though. A very good GM can be a great asset as far as input and player selection. The issue is that Tanny isn't really all that great in these facets unless he is trading for proven players (sans the Tebow fiasco). Tanny would look great with a Cowher/Parcells type because they would tell him get me XYZ and Tannenbaum can find ways to get it done. Rex needs a guy who he can give a vision to like Polian who then can come up with XYZ and get it himself. Also Polian is more than willing to give his feedback on the viability of a strat given his clout/experience.

The reason we had initial success was that, for all his faults, Mangini was a pretty good talent evaluator on both sides of the ball (definitely not perfect though, see boar hunter and ghost) and was fundamental in how he built a team. Rex is a great coach IMHO and was able to take that team to it's potential (Mangini couldn't). A Mangini-Rex GM/HC pair would be intriguing duo in more than one way lol.

Long story short if this season doesn't play out well we should hire Polian at GM to help Rex reach his full potential.
    This may end up being the case unfortunately.....