Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare scenario for Jets (article)

Nightmare scenario for Jets (article)

When the Jets traded for Tim Tebow last spring, they created a potential disaster out of thin air.

Here's the nightmare scenario they created:

Mark Sanchez the high draft pick who the franchise has been banking on and building around for years struggles out of the gate.

Tebow makes a handful of dazzling plays in limited action.
    The Jets continue to lose games, and the fans and media start clamoring for Tebow.

Rex Ryan, desperate to save his job, gives up on Sanchez and turns to Tebow.

Tebow can't recreate the magic he wielded in Denver last year.
    The Jets miss the playoffs. Mark Sanchez's confidence is ruined. The Jets have no quarterback going into 2013.

After just two preseason games, this sequence of events is already coming true, because Mark Sanchez and the NYJ offense have been awful.
    Sanchez is 13/17 for 80 yards with 1 INT, 0 TDs, and 5 sacks in his two preseason games. Besides that dismal passing yards per attempt, these numbers aren't all terrible. But the Jets offense hasn't scored a point with Sanchez in at QB, and it looks like little has changed from his ultra-conservative, dink-and-dunk approach from 2011.

Basically, Sanchez has a short leash because he was so bad last year, and he hasn't looked any better this preseason.

Tebow hasn't looked that great himself. But this nightmare scenario has little to do with who is objectively a better QB, and everything to do with perception and expectations. If Sanchez is bad enough, this much-feared sequence of events will begin to rapidly unfold.
    It's just preseason. But if Sanchez's poor performance continues into weeks 1 and 2, this thing could unravel real quick.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-...#ixzz246EgElak

The fix is in. As is our team. As close as we were a few years ago it will all be lost on some horrible decisions. Back to the drawing board.

Hall Of Fame
    Tebow starting is the nuclear option, if that happens it means Mark is done and this team is yet again looking for their franchise QB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    But if Sanchez's poor performance continues into weeks 1 and 2, this thing could unravel real quick.

No mention of the O-line?

No mention that if Sanchez's first option was to run with it instead of checking down he could have been "dazzling" too?

This is a crap sangwhich.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

No mention that if Sanchez's first option was to run with it instead of checking down he could have been "dazzling" too?

-
    You don't get all your sports news from businessinsider?

Yes, BusinessInsider.com is where I go for the best football insights.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    You don't get all your sports news from businessinsider?
    No, but apparently Woody Johnson does.

This scenario is inevitable. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when".

I'm looking at our schedule and I've broken it down like this:

BUF -- L
    PIT -- L
    MIA -- W (our defense will pull this through)
    SAN FRAN -- L
    HOU -- L
    IND -- L (this will be the straw that will break the camel's back -- surprising L vs a rookie QB who will make even our FO aware of how awful Sanchez is)

NE -- Tebow will be the starting QB -- Wildcat offense fully installed

Rest of the games -- God help us.

Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    This scenario is inevitable. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when".

BUF -- L
    PIT -- L
    SAN FRAN -- L
    HOU -- L
    IND -- L (this will be the straw that will break the camel's back -- surprising L vs a rookie QB who will make even our FO aware of how awful Sanchez is)

The fact that this could actually happen has me really depressed. The third preseason game is coming up ... Our offensive starters will be n for about 3 quarters ... If we don't score a TD , I might give up ad become a hockey fan before the seasons begins.

BUF -- L
    PIT -- L
    SAN FRAN -- L
    HOU -- L

If this scenario plays out (which I doubt) then you might as well put in Tebow and hope we lose out. It could turn out to be a blessing if the Tanny/Bradway regime is finally ended and Bill Cowher is brought in as the savior.

We all know that will never happen, but hey, I can dream.

Jets Insider VIP
    BUF -- L
    PIT -- L
    SAN FRAN -- L
    HOU -- L
    IND -- L
    You must be crazy if you think that Sanchez Would start the 1st 6 games in which he loses 5. I could see tebow starting the 3rd quarter of the Bills game if we are down at the half and the offense looks bad.

Sanchez's leash has about 1 link on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    If this scenario plays out (which I doubt) then you might as well put in Tebow and hope we lose out. It could turn out to be a blessing if the Tanny/Bradway regime is finally ended and Bill Cowher is brought in as the savior.

We all know that will never happen, but hey, I can dream.
    We can't just throw in the towel before the season starts. Sanchez has to be given a chance <----- at least that's what our coaching staff/FO will be thinking.

If it doesn't play out like how I've outlined it, it will happen sometime in the season when things really get bleak. I don't need to see the 3rd preseason game. A RT will not all of a sudden materialize. Our WRs will not all of a sudden perform better. Tony Sparano will not all of a sudden devise a brilliant gameplan other than the one where a Wildcat is prominent.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    The O-line is bad with the turn style at RT but I doubt Sanchez will fare any better behind the Berlin wall. Happy feet and bad decision making, Sanchez is a train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    You must be crazy if you think that Sanchez Would start the 1st 6 games in which he loses 5. I could see tebow starting the 3rd quarter of the Bills game if we are down at the half and the offense looks bad.

Sanchez's leash has about 1 link on it.
    First game? That's pretty harsh. I think they'll give him at least 5 games. The excuse of running a new offense will keep him in the starting role.

Hall Of Fame
    Never mind. It is all part of a devious but brilliant plan by the front office and ownership to suck really bad and end up with Andrew Luck.

Oh wait....

BUF -- L
    PIT -- L
    SAN FRAN -- L
    HOU -- L

I predicted this scenario not too long ago.

The QB controversy was inevitable when Tebow came on board. A team can only have one leader at QB. It's just basic group dynamics.

I'm constantly amazed how people that follow a team so closely understand so little. Sanchez, aside from one dumb mistake looks much sharper this year and will have a solid year. Tebow has not looked good. Sanchez checking down in a preseason game is to avoid injury. Fix right tackle and get our receivers back and we'll be just fine. QB is not the problem, not even close.

We'll beat Buffalo. Fitzpatrick is one of the few QB's who I would take both Sanchez and Tebow over. Dude got paid by a bad GM for the best 6 games of his career. He's a 3rd string QB at best.

Coples/Wilkerson/Maybin/Pouha will destroy their line.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    I'm constantly amazed how people that follow a team so closely understand so little. Sanchez, aside from one dumb mistake looks much sharper this year and will have a solid year. Tebow has not looked good. Sanchez checking down in a preseason game is to avoid injury. Fix right tackle and get our receivers back and we'll be just fine. QB is not the problem, not even close.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Tebow starting is the nuclear option, if that happens it means Mark is done and this team is yet again looking for their franchise QB.
    Tebow will not start any games if Sanchez is healthy. I may come to regret this statement but I feel 100% confident that the Jets will not go there. It is, as you say, the nuclear option that wouldn't just be an explosion for the team and the media....but the radiation would contaminate the franchise for years.

With that said, if Sanchez struggles significantly in a game, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets just start increasing the snaps to Tebow, run some more WildCat and find a way to put the ball in his hands for both running/passing situations. That is how the Jets would "avoid" the QB controversy per se, by not starting Tebow but finding a way to steer more snaps to him in the 2nd half of a game in which Mark is struggling.